5-20: "Salon of the Dead" 2012.04.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

145 replies to this topic

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

“To celebrate their official coming out as a couple, Blair (Leighton Meester) and Dan (Penn Badgley) host a glamorous British-themed Salon, including guests Julian Tepper and Jenna Gribbon (founders of The Oracle Club). Lola (guest star Ella Rae Peck) lands the audition of a lifetime, but Gossip Girl may have other plans for the Upper East Side’s latest It Girl. Meanwhile, Lily (Kelly Rutherford) and Rufus (Matthew Settle) disagree over the best way to handle the Ivy (Kaylee DeFer) situation, and Serena (Blake Lively) and Diana (Hurley) face-off over secrets they both would prefer remain secrets. Chace Crawford and Ed Westwick also guest star."

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Oh, Chuck and his harem of mothers. Personally, I'm still waiting for the storyline that will reveal Jack is his real father. Maybe that's the secret GG was talking about.

Someone needs to create a fanvideo of Chuck and Nate covering Lonely Island's "Mother Lover."

Oh, Rufus. If you feel so sorry for the con artist who keeps invading your wife's family, then buy her a ticket to wherever she needs to go and money for a month's rent. How long was he planning to pay for her five-star hotel stay?

Is the GG Live Streaming app available to the general public or is there actually an app created for a single user that Serene somehow managed to get on her iPhone despite not being that user? Why am I thinking about this? I'm tired of Serena as GG, it had promise, but now she's just both obnoxious and pathetic. It'd be a tad more interesting if she at least realizes she ruined Dan and Blair's night and has some sort of feelings about it.

Serene as GG has undertones or a really good story but I feel like they aren't being developed. The real conflict here isn't that GG's past victim has become the victimizer. It's that Serena is trying to be both the lighting person and the person in the spotlight, and unless Bowie!Tesla invents you a doubling machine, you can't do that. No one cares about the man in the box, Serena. (What? I love that movie, it had Jackman and Bale!)

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

Chuck's mom has now slept with his best friend. Meh, Chuck has slept with his own sister, so it's cool.

Dan and Blair are adorable and pretentious and everything I think they'd be as a couple. The parallels with Rufus and Lily are pretty clunky, but make me optimistic about their future.

Serena is annoying and hypocritical again this week. She has a best friend she could talk to. Her "woe is me" is tired. Go hang out with your mom who is going through hell right now.

Rufus getting put in the corner by Lily was the BEST! I hope she takes his guitar next.

Too much Lola and Diana. Not enough Dair in bed being adorable.

ridethemaverick

ridethemaverick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

I love how Blair continues to acknowledge how toxic her relationship (the last incarnation anyway) with Chuck was. I forget the exact quote, but something about playing Marie Antoinette to his possessive something or other. Anyway, she continues to show growth and self-awareness. If they ever do find their way back to each other, I have hope that she will be stronger and more assertive by that point and less willing to be swallowed up in all his drama and emo crap.

That said, I felt awful for Chuck. Just awful.

Serena's sparkly dress was gorgeous. That's about the only good thing I can say about her this week.

Nate continues to be useless, but that may change next week. Shirtless Nate!

I still like Lola, but I don't know why.

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I forget the exact quote, but something about playing Marie Antoinette to his possessive something or other.

That one was actually about her relationship with Louis.

Suzako

Suzako

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I forget the exact quote, but something about playing Marie Antoinette to his possessive something or other.

I'm pretty sure she was referring to Louis.

Weird little things bugged me in this episode.
Like why did Blair AND Dan have to go buy ice together? That's a one man job for sure. And not a Blair job.
Why didn't Nate know he was going to a party at Dan's? He knew he was going to Dan's and dragging Chuck for no reason ... Complete lack of rationale to get Chuck there.
Why doesn't anyone on this show lock their phone? (I guess I'll let that one go ... or nothing would happen)

I am glad for Rufus and Lily's relationship to finally reach its end. I vote for Rufus going off to pursue his music career and just keep Lily around, so she become the new Cece.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

That was actually really entertaining! Almost all of it!

Other than the guest Mirror!Dan/Blair couple being terrible, awkward, embarrassing actors - I thought the episode was twisty and fun. Actual Dan and Blair continue to be so enjoyable to watch, I can hardly stand it, they're so adorable. I'm rooting for them like crazy, and I love that they actually talk about wanting to make their relationship work. Plus, seeing Blair happy is just excellent.

Dorota saying Serena was behaving like a blonde unabomber was the line of the night, imo. I also loved how much of a fan Dorota's become of Dan's.

I still like Lola, but I don't know why.

Because it only took her a couple of MINUTES to figure Serena out, and then a few hours to outdo everyone on the scandal front! Whew. Yes, true, Serena is about as sharp as a bag of hair, but still, good for Lola.

I'm fully Team Lola at this point, even if she ruined Blair and Dan's awesomely pretentious party. I didn't feel bad for Chuck though, because he's been angsting about who his momma is for years, so Finally! Lola did him a favor really, he's been throwing money after finding his mother for ages. Plus, I assume Serena sure wasn't going to tell him, she seemed to be planning on using Diana's identity as blackmail, I suppose.

It'd be a tad more interesting if she at least realizes she ruined Dan and Blair's night and has some sort of feelings about it.

I got the impression she was happy about crashing the shindig and was fully intending on acting like an asshole in order to ruin it. Her little smirk at Blair's clear distress at her arrival seemed to telegraph that to me.

I'm actually really enjoying Serena as a villain - she's so bad at it, and sliding into desperate nut ball territory - it's fun to watch, imo! Though, I never liked her anyway, so I enjoy feeling vindicated in my dislike. Nate was also really dim this episode. I sort of hope he and Serena get back together so they can be stupid and pretty together.

Dan and Blair are adorable and pretentious and everything I think they'd be as a couple. The parallels with Rufus and Lily are pretty clunky, but make me optimistic about their future.

I do think the parallels are interesting, but I tend to think they're setting up Rufus and Lily to be an example of what not to do, while Dan and Blair come upon an obstacle and then overcome it with communication - and pretty quickly at that. (Which is surprising and delightful to me!) I've never liked Lily though, she's fickle and overbearing, imo - but without Blair's vulnerability.

I feel like the show is on a really good roll lately. Keep it up show!

Edited by Maka, Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:29 PM.

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Oh, and the most glorious thing about this episode???? Chuck didn't even make an appearance until the 30 minute mark! He was in it so little and I wound up realizing how much more I enjoy the show when he's relegated to a supporting role instead of it being an hour of "The Man Pain of Sir Chuck and His Nostrils of Agony."

ilovestamos

ilovestamos

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

I think Kenny Fisher from Can't Hardly Wait best sums up my feeling towards Serena after this episode: "Damn, woman! Why you gotta be such a ragin bitch?" So a couple episodes earlier she convinces Lola to let the van der Woodsens into her life and this episode she sabotages her audition. I could kind of understand her motivations last episode, being afraid of giving up her it girl status, but this episode, I do not get her at all.

But, why couldn't Lola have just told Nate, after that von Trier blast went out, "The only person I had a conversation like this with was Serena, in her home, so at the very least she sent this shitty tip into GG and at most she is GG." But in an episode that required both Dan and Blair to go buy ice, I guess I shouldn't question too many things.

Edited by ilovestamos, Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:36 PM.

ridethemaverick

ridethemaverick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

That one was actually about her relationship with Louis.

Ah, ok thanks. I missed that entirely.

EBStarr

EBStarr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

Oh, and the most glorious thing about this episode???? Chuck didn't even make an appearance until the 30 minute mark!

Yeah... gotta say, when he was on screen, I hated his response to Elizabeth. It was so out of character for Chuck; he would never whine and throw a tantrum in front of everyone about how he can't handle this right now. He'd snark about it and then have a crazy suicide meltdown (also tiresome, but at least he has some dignity). Who wrote that scene? It was awful.

On the other hand, I really liked how Nate dragged him to the party and Blair was all, "What are you doing here?" and he said he had no idea and promptly strolled off to start drinking instead of causing drama. It seems like the growth of Blair and Chuck into reasonably mature ex-lovers is continuing (...and I just jinxed it).

Dear Lola. It is "I should never have SET foot on the Upper East Side." Not step. Jeez. On the topic of people who are not good at language things, I love how Gossip Girl flat-out said that it looked like the salon was getting "dumbed down" by the arrival of Serena, Nate, Lola. How weirdly direct an insult, right?

I loved the bit at the end where Dan kidded Blair about the beet pickling. God they are so cute.

kems28

kems28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I love how Gossip Girl flat-out said that it looked like the salon was getting "dumbed down" by the arrival of Serena, Nate, Lola. How weirdly direct an insult, right?

That actually made me laugh out loud. Serena is so dumb she doesn't even realize when she's insulting herself.

I don't understand why Lola didn't tell Nate about Serena after she'd caught her red-handed. Serena, just earlier that day, had been actively trying to ruin Lola's life. Lola should feel absolutely no loyalty to her. I know she said she didn't want to ruin Nate's day along with Chuck's, but that excuse just doesn't hold water for me. Serena needs to be exposed and Lola knows it.

Diana is quite possibly the most manipulative character that's ever been on this show. Working behind the scenes with Nate's grandfather, seducing Nate, and being Chuck's mother all at the same time. Damn. And wasn't it insinuated in an earlier episode that Grandfather knew about Diana being Chuck's mother? I wonder if that'll come back up at some point.

swampy

swampy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

But in an episode that required both Dan and Blair to go buy ice, I guess I shouldn't question too many things.

They hired a guy to dress like a Buckingham Palace guard and just stand there. But no one to get ice.

I actually did enjoy the episode, though. I love Serena as a villain, especially since she spent the first half of the episode practically shouting I'M GOSSIP GIRL! to the entire UES. The cliffhanger with Diana was pretty exciting, and I thought Ed's acting at the reveal was also pretty good. It was nice to seem him actually affected and vulnerable, and not all whisper-this and squinty-that.

Next week: Shirtless!Nate. That is all.

ETA:

I love how Gossip Girl flat-out said that it looked like the salon was getting "dumbed down" by the arrival of Serena, Nate, Lola. How weirdly direct an insult, right?

That actually made me laugh out loud. Serena is so dumb she doesn't even realize when she's insulting herself.

Ditto. Absolutely hilarious. However--I've been assuming that the Kristen Bell voiceovers are still the actual Gossip Girl, and not Serena--she's addressing the audience of the show, not the characters within the show. So it wouldn't be Serena insulting herself. Am I off the mark on that?

Edited by swampy, Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:07 PM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

So Elizabeth really was married to Bart, and the story she told was ... actually close to the truth, except that it was Diana's story. But Diana did rather skate around the question why she gave Chuck up. Is that because in truth she literally sold him to Bart? Where does Jack fit into this?

This is second episode in a row in which Ivy didn't appear. I don't know what to make of this, I'm just saying.

I don't know what to make of Rufus, either. On the night of the car crash, Ivy told him she was a fake, and he never repeated it. Now we see him helping Ivy. Is he perhaps not as guileless as he seems? Or does he (of all people) know something about the Rhodes family that he's not telling? Anyway, it looks like he and Lily are likely over.

I don't at all see what possessed Serena to sabotage Lola's audition. I'm also surprised that this supposedly great director is so credulous as to believe GG's blasts.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

I don't understand why Lola didn't tell Nate about Serena after she'd caught her red-handed.

A this point I just assume its because Lola has taken over the role of Ivy who took the role of Vanessa. Lola is now the one that does the inexplicable the drive plot or not as the case may be. She didn't tell because they don't want to end the Serena is GG story yet.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I got the impression she was happy about crashing the shindig and was fully intending on acting like an asshole in order to ruin it. Her little smirk at Blair's clear distress at her arrival seemed to telegraph that to me.

I'm actually really enjoying Serena as a villain - she's so bad at it, and sliding into desperate nut ball territory - it's fun to watch, imo!

I agree on both fronts. Serena has lost her damn mind and and is just throwing crazy in every direction and then sprinkling some bitch confetti over it as garnish. Lola's decision to not out her was just dumb. Not only did it leave Nate in the dark that his friend is messing with his life via the internet, but it left Serena free to keep F'ing with everyone. Way to take your ball and go home Lola. No body else's life was being screwed with or anything.

At least Dan and Blair continue to be adorable.

Was it just me or was Diana's facial expression when she read GG's last text the best acting Elizabeth Hurley has done for her entire run on the show?

Brinny

Brinny

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

Okay, I give. Dan and Blair eating breakfast and having coffee and hosting pretentious parties and having late-night intellectual discussions? They're like a cheery, adorable married couple. And I kind of love it.

They hired a guy to dress like a Buckingham Palace guard and just stand there. But no one to get ice.

I think that was a statue.

I'm also surprised that this supposedly great director is so credulous as to believe GG's blasts.

I was too. And then I remembered that Dan had the exact same problem with producers when optioning his book. Equally unbelievable and ridiculous. Can you imagine what would possess anyone who has any sort of weight in the entertainment industry to take the word of a website that spews rumours about New York socialites? It makes absolutely no sense.

And I really don't get why Lola wasn't more pissed off at Serena. I guess she's supposed to be the cool, indifferent chick, but she could have at least tossed out a, "What the hell is your problem, dude?"

Edited by Brinny, Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:58 PM.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

• Interests:Stuff lol

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

I think the secret is Jack is Chuck's father. Seems almost obvious to me.

As for Dan and Blair's party, oh my god I rather jump off a building than go to that pretentious hipster filled crapfest. They actually weren't annoying as usual, but their party looked dreadful.

Chuck's response to his new mom(ha!) at the party was pretty terrible too. Just a little ott for my taste.

Honestly I'm just watching this show out of habit at this point, it's gotten pretty bad. Weirdly, though I really like Serena lately, and I'm glad Lola is gone. Obviously she will be back, but I welcome her absence for now.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

Okay, I give. Dan and Blair eating breakfast and having coffee and hosting pretentious parties and having late-night intellectual discussions? They're like a cheery, adorable married couple. And I kind of love it.

Welcome abroad! :)

The scene where Dan and Blair are planning their salon together was amazingly fulfilling to watch as a fan of theirs and adorable.

Oh, and Serena has never been a bitch. She's been dumb, ditzy, and undeserving of the things that just fall into her lap, but now making her unethical and selfish seems very OOC--not that I'm not enjoying watching it, however. Bitchy is something very convincing and entertaining to see on Blake Lively but I just wish it had built up a little more gradually.

Edited by anonymiss, Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:45 AM.

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

Serena is going crazy in the bitchiest way possible. This is not even fun because it makes NO sense. I stand by what I said last week- it's not that she wants to be the It Girl. It's that she doesn't want anyone else to be able to replace her. I think Lola didn't tell Serena's secret because she didn't want to hurt Nate. He was already hurting for Chuck- telling him about Serena would have only upset him further. I hope she didn't actually leave though. I like Lola and I like Lola/Nate.

Chuck was weird tonight. I truly appreciated the lack of Chuck/Blair drama but his reactions were weird. I still want someone to tell him he has a mother already or even better, see him go to Lily (or her come to him- I'm not picky) to talk about this craziness. I don't know about Chuck and Diana. I don't like Diana at all even if she was more tolerable tonight than she normally is.

Blair and Dan were adorable even if I have to agree with an earlier poster that I'd rather have something bad done to me than go to their party. I like that Dan went to her in the end. Rufus got in his head for a while but Rufus's problems aren't Dan's and same for Rufus/Lily's problems. Dan/Blair are honestly better communicators at this point than Rufus/Lily have ever been. Partially that is because I don't think Rufus truly accepts Lily for who she is while I think Dan knows exactly who Blair is and loves her for it but also they've never kept the secrets Rufus/Lily have always kept. It made me a little sad that Rufus got in Dan's head even for a minute but I was glad that parallel was blown up by the end.

Lily shutting Rufus down was gold. It drives me crazy that he still thinks this is about money though. This is so not about money. The only involvement money has is that she doesn't want her money being used to help a girl who hurt her family. No Lily isn't seeing all the layers of what actually happened but she's always been this way. Rufus should know that. All she sees is her mother dead and the con artist who kept things from her and invaded her family and seemingly took advantage of her dying mother. Rufus may not agree but he should at least be on her side. And the fact that he got all huffy about Lily lying when he was lying all along? Hate.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

So ok, we knew from her first phone call to Jack, who is going to be his father because having your dad have sex with the love your life and your mom have sex repeatedly with your best friend in your apartment, which you know Chuck there was no way he wasn't getting pervy about it, and you not knowing who either of them were, is probably enough to finally throw Chuck permantely off the deep end. I mean for all Chuck's crap, he's had nothing but Jack and Bart to look up to for the majority of his life, and Bart seemed like the asshole to blame Chuck for Elizabeth's leaving not his cheating. The poor guy never really had a chance to get a decent human being who knew how to connect with people on a real level; the progress he's made is actually very good.

Also props to Ed Westwick, because that scene was as brutal and affecting at the Salon, you felt the utter betrayal and revulsion in his voice. Thank you writers for finally giving your 2nd best actor on the show something real to sink his teeth into now how about the 1st and no I'm not a princess anymore doesn't cut it. Yeah Chuck was way different from normal because he couldn't snark himself out of it and just couldn't deal with it. Chuck of course perved on Diana, thought joking about the adventerous cougar devouring his best friend, and for all that time he didn't know that was his mother. He felt utter revlusion, again Ed's face and voice when Chuck gets to underwear just conveys this. Then there just the plain I don't give a crap to even get to know you at all about it. Diana spent time at Nate's apartment with Chuck, she could have made an attempt to get to know him just even in an, your Nate's best friend and I want to get to know his friends kind of way so it doesn't seem suspicious, but she didn't do that.

As for Dan/Blair, this is what scared me about Dair, Dan can be an insufferable, prententious, elitlist asshole as well as Blair, and as when people like this get together, they tend to come off as class A assholes and man did they tonight. I don't mind that Dan and Blair have fine taste, Blair and Dan giddiness about the Salon was great. But the judgmental attitude they took towards people who they claim to love. Blair's "Do I need to justify that with a response" when Dan mentioned Nate, even how Dan set it with a tone of I know he's stupid but I feel I need to mention him because we both are close friends with him. Then there's the attiude towards Serena, we know she's GG but they don't, all they know it's that she is tyring to come to grips her best friend who is as close as a sister to her and her most serious boyfriend ever and it's hard for her it would be for anyone. But this episode it's can we really trust Serena not to be skanky and ditzy and fuck everything up. Also Blair's line about Serena judging them makes no sense, Serena (along with Chuck and Nate) are the least judgmental people on this show two because they are nice and Chuck because well he knows he's the worst bastard in the room. If your so concerned about Serena, they weren't, then invite her and have her say it's too hard for her right now. I mean it's one thing when Blair asshole nature is directed towards outsiders she doesn't owe any loyalty to like Lola, it's another thing when Blair and Dan go on and on about how they look down on Chuck, Nate, and Serena who they claim to be close with. Look are Nate and Serena smart, clearly not, but you know you say to care about them, so don't look down on them because of their flaws. Nate and Serena didn't look down on Dan for not being popular or rich as them or Blair for not being as desired as them. They have been oblivious and selfish but for most part being geniunlely nice. I'll get to Serena in the next paragraph. Also why didn't they even bother to find out why the Salon broke up, and if they did, how about not making the news that destroyed Chuck and Nate about you, since again you claim to care about them. Blair says that she still cares for Chuck but their relationship was toxic, agree there, and Nate is Dan's best friend and a close friend of Blair's as well. Again in character for these two and well done. Also it showed how it's not only Blair and Dan taste and admiral qualities like intellgence and loyalty that make them compatable, but also their biggest faults.

Then there's Serena who I felt faced the same OCCness Blair did earlier this season. Until this season Blair wasn't stupid and Serena wasn't mean or cruel. Serena was selfish, oblivious, jealous, and could be spiteful if you hurt her, but never mean. Serena would get mad at Dan and Blair and try to screw up their dates, yes. Serena would get mad at Nate for firing her and send blasts hurting the spectator,yes. She wouldn't screw up Lola's big auditon knowing how important it was to her and then not try to make it right and instead try to figure out how not to get caught. She always feels bad about hurting other people, always tries to see the good in people, and just wants others to be happy. The It Girl whose the It Girl not by taking out the competition but by having everyone geniunely like her because she's pretty, fun, and nice. I'm not saying it's OOC for Serena to get mad about losing her It Girl status to Lola, it's OOC for her to hurt Lola who is relatively innocent in this and ruin her first big shot and not try to fix that. Then give up Gossip Girl because she doesn't like hurting people, that's Blair.

However I saved my favorite storyline for last and that was Lily/Rufus, because it was organic in character, full of emotion and real stakes, and you could see both sides of the argument about Ivy, even though I agree with Rufus on that point. We've all made jokes about Rufus is Lily's trophy husband, but we never really got his feelings about the matter. He knew Lily was by far the most wealthy and that he would move in to her, but I don't think he planned on giving up the artist, the managing artists, and all the other stuff to become Lily's +1 at UES social functions and Lily's kept husband. Also he didn't realize that Lily and Dan viewed as a throphy husband, he found out about Dan with the Insider book and I think this has been brewing ever since then. Going back to Brooklyn reminded him that Dan had a point he did lose himself and he has in fact become Lily's trophy husband confirmed by Lily herself screaming about touching her money. As for the Ivy argument, it's really about the forgiving nature of Rufus and the unforgiving nature of Lily. To Rufus, Ivy was a girl who lied at Carol's behest to them but did care enough about the Rhodes to take care of Cece and has innumerable times tried to apologize. He got her kick out of the apartment that was lawfully hers through a lie, again the apartment was CeCe's who knowingly gave to Ivy and she only kicked Lily out for trying to kick her out. Also Lily used him to get her kicked out on the streets with nowhere to go and Rufus felt understandably guilty. As for Lily, I get it. She cared about Ivy as another daughter who lied to them, forgetting that was at Carol's behest and in my opinion the person she really should be pissed at. Then Cece gives away the apartment she's lived in for years to Ivy and her money, which must be trick we know it wasn't but she doesn't. To Lily it doesn't matter that Ivy apologizes and continuously does so. The damage is done.

Edited by dragonfirelance, Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:56 AM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

I think the secret is Jack is Chuck's father. Seems almost obvious to me.

I don't see that that makes sense. If Jack is Chuck's father, how would he or Diana gain by pretending Bart was?

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

• Interests:Stuff lol

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

I don't know it doesn't make much sense to me either but this is gg and they always have the wackiest twists. Maybe Bart made them or something or there was a deal of some sort? It just seems like something this show would do lol.

Inglorious

Inglorious

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:14 AM

Highlight of the episode (aside from all things Dair, since words don't suffice to express the amount of adorable) was absolutely Chuck FINALLY losing the god awful raspy voice for the duration of one scene! Even a non-native English speaker such as yours truly actually understood what he was saying during the somewhat OOC freak out. So props for that, Ed has a pleasant voice when he talks like a normal person.

Pity that Dan and Blair's party got ruined because of the freakshow that is their friends, but I still kind of liked the whole scandal at the loft. Seriously, this was second episode in a short amount of time I liked Chuck! Which, incidentally, is because he didn't have anything to do with Blair. They're so much better when they're away from each other.

Serena is entertaining but simply awful and so dumb. If I was Lola I would so have taken Serena down.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:08 AM

Maybe Lola didn't take Serena down due to one Safran's hints in a recent interview when (i'll add tags)
Spoiler
. That would be a twist. It doesn't really make sense, otherwise, unless another plot point were developing to explain this motive. If not, Lola has the same dumb gene Serena has.

I'm getting annoyed by the Chuck's family convoluted mess drama.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:12 AM

I think I call bullshit on Diana being Chuck's mother. I have a feeling she may be an aunt or something and she's covering for someone else. If she really was I think they'd announce it later in the season. I think there will be another twist yet.

Lola is just the worst. She really is Vanessa 2.0. Bitching about the UES but then associating with everyone there, lurking behind walls and being all up in everyone's business. The scene at the end with Serena at the Waldorf's reminded me of the Blair/Jenny scenes back in the first few seasons but a much weaker version.

Serena is still being horrible, but I'm kinda digging her SL. I want to see how far they take it because I've found this the most interesting Serena SL in well...ever.

EW did a fantastic job with the reveal scene and the one following, but I just hated the way they were written. Completely OTT dialogue wise and pretty OOC for Chuck. Ed still nailed it, but the scenes were ruined for me by the terrible writing. I just died though when he mentioned that Diana had been banging his best friend and the camera pans to Nate who has on his infamous Natefused expression. God love him, he didn't know where he was or what was going on.

Rufus and Lily need to be taking relationship advice from Dan and Blair and not the other way around. I was just thinking "oh no" in the scene when Rufus was talking to Dan about losing himself because Rufus is an idiot and nobody should be taking relationship advice from him. The Rufly/Dair parallels were glaring, but what they showed me was that Dan and Blair are a hundred times more evolved than Rufus and Lily are. They talk about their relationship openly and what they're afraid of...unlike Rufus and Lily whom apparently pretend that the issues don't exist, secretly become bitter with one another, but only bring up their issues after they've had a massive fight.

Blair kinda bugged a few times during the episode. Mainly because a few things she said were completely inconsistent with previous episodes. In previous episodes she hasn't cared at all about any of that "your world - my world" crap with Dan, but then she suddenly pulls a Lily and tells Dan that she doesn't want to be a part of his world. I can understand that it's in character for Blair not to be a fan of anything Brooklyn, but that fight seemed completely out of the blue. No Blair, your party didn't tank because yours and Dan's worlds don't blend, it tanked because your friends bring drama with them constantly. I guess that's why they had to make Blair leave to get ice because the only way that Dair fight could have made any sense was if Blair didn't know the party tanked because of the Chuck/Elizabeth/Serena/Lola drama.

And I kinda love the whole "ice" parallel with Dan lol. It was a nice throw back to when Eleanor used to order him around.

Other than that though Dan and Blair were completely and utterly adorable. I kinda love it how they just float around together in the mix of everyone else's drama and just care about throwing a party. Them sitting there making lists was completely them, and I loved how supportive Blair was of his book. Dan was right at the end, they make a good team.

snarkmachine

snarkmachine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:16 AM

This has got to be the show's seventh mommy reveal for Chuck. They need to let. that. shit. go. No one cares. Liz Hurley is the worst.

The show should just be an 45 minutes of Dan and Blair trying to throw pretentious parties and failing adorably.

inanityrules

inanityrules

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:38 AM

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised - the writers are going out of their way to show Dair as a functioning, compatible, realistic adult couple. Rufus and Lily could take a few lessons from those two on communication and compromise, lol. And the best part is - their shenanigans and banter are so much fun, they make realism interesting again. I can't express how much I loved that last sleepover scene - absolutely adorable and a great callback to them bickering in bed about film and literature in season 4.

Chuck's story moved me today as well. He is definitely a hundred times more interesting when his storylines don't involve Blair, although I wish it wasn't a repeat of 'Who is Chuck's momma?' for the 482939 time. I still don't know if I believe Diana when she says she's Chuck's mom because she's definitely hiding something. I really hope she is though because I don't want Chuck to get suckerpunched again by finding out that yet another person was pretending to be his mother.

All the Rhodes women acted schizo tonight. And that's all I have to say about that.

Overall, a solid ep with a couple of great one-liners - I died when GG said something about "New York's intellectuals are about to be dumbed down" referring to Serena, Lola, Nate and Chuck. And the writers were definitely trolling (wrt to the constant "Reassemble Chuck and Blair" twitter campaigns) when Dan told Rufus "So fix it, like the chair." and Rufus replied, "It's not that simple." So much lulz.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

although I wish it wasn't a repeat of 'Who is Chuck's momma?' for the 482939 time. I still don't know if I believe Diana when she says she's Chuck's mom because she's definitely hiding something. I really hope she is though because I don't want Chuck to get suckerpunched again by finding out that yet another person was pretending to be his mother.

This. I think the whole storyline is poor; They were really pile driving home the point that Diana is Chuck's mom with all the 'hints' going back episodes. Now she is....but there's something not right. She's still hiding something for sure, but as the post above noted, it's really going to be crappy if Chuck AGAIN is jerked around by "not yo' momma" drama. That would be way OTT even for this show and really poor and less than creative writing. And even if she really is his mom, it was really anti-climatic (for viewers) at this point; they couldn't have blown open more hints along the way if they tried.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

Poor Chuck has only had a biological mom for like, five minutes, and he's already mortified that he's seen her prancing around in her underwear and hooking up with his bestie.

I just don't understand Serena. She's acting like she has no options and squatting as Gossip Girl is it for her. The girl has more money than most people would know what to do with and all the privilege in the world. Can't she, I don't know, go back to school (remember that plot line, Gossip Girl? School? how novel!), go traveling, start a foundation? Sheesh, she's stupid and tiresome.