5-5: "Signal 30" 2012.04.15

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

759 replies to this topic

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

From zap2it:

Lane strikes up an interesting friendship; Pete entertains guests.

Edited by Tafatia, Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:39 PM.

beneduae

beneduae

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

So, Ken and Peggy have a pact. That's interesting...Ken was always the most decent to Peggy, so I like it.

As for Don and Megan- think she might just break his heart.

Pete is becoming a less suave Don, isn't he? Unhappy with his domestic life in the suburbs, feeling constrained by his wife and his child, looking for strange anywhere he can get it to feel like a man. Don's mixture of pity/disgust/mentorship with Pete is interesting, isn't it? Reminds me of the first season, when Don was going to fire Pete and Bert Cooper told him not to, because "loyalty can come from the most unusual places." Pete has such hero worship for Don, and now Don is someone different...

Lane and Pete, with the peanut gallery watching and Peggy and Joan listening in, was great. That was absolutely Pete's first fight.

I do enjoy Lane and Joan's dynamic, and mutual respect (the kiss notwithstanding). She handled it with typical Joan aplomb and he was rightly apologetic and mortified about it.

Edited by beneduae, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:03 PM.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

He sucker punched Kenny once.

This is a disappointment thus far. I'm really tired of Pete being a shit again.

NoVaResident

NoVaResident

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Pete got his ass kicked.

Although he picked the hottest hooker....

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

"He was caught with chewing gum on his pubics".

At first I thought Pete was just dreaming about the Driver's Ed girl.

The fight between Lane and Pete was like Firth/Grant in Bridget Jones Diary. Pete is still a weasel.

Poor Ken, I think he is actually one of the good ones.

Good for Joan giving Lane her pep talk and handling his kiss so well.

Don, you are full of shit saying if you met Megan first you would not have screwed it up.

"Reschedule the meeting". Finally the show made me laugh tonight.

SueBee_77

SueBee_77

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Gee, I was kind of underwhelmed by this episode, at least as a first impression. I did chuckle out loud at Don's sport jacket, and him saying "Hello, You" to Ken's wife. And a big "Gulp" at Lane's kissing Joan. Ewww factor about 8.5. But didn't Joan react perfectly!

I've always thought Pete was a little pipsqueek, and it was satisfying to see him get punched in the nose.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

DOWN GOES CAMPBELL....DOWN GOES CAMPBELL!! Fisticuffs, Super-Plumber,and chewing gum on the pubis! What an explerary episode. Pete is gonna shoot everyone at the office.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

No one died except Pete's spirit.

Lane's in bad shape too.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Pete is and always was a weasel.

Kenny should have quit right then and there.

And Don is Superman. I knew that.

Chikibun

Chikibun

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Oh gosh, was this episode depressing.

As much of a jerk as Pete is, I felt for him at the end when he claimed to have nothing. It was near tear-inducing,

Can't wait for the encore, second viewings always help

Gosh, do I love Ken Cosgrove

Sophist

Sophist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Poor Pete. He really just needs to move back to Manhattan and he'll be so much happier. I bet Tammy will end up liking it better too.

Pepper Jam

Pepper Jam

Loyal Viewer

I loved this episode. I am a Pete fan but he deserved that smack down by Lane, loved bad-ass Lane today. Poor Trudy, Pete was creepy with that high school girl.

Don fixing that sink was hot! He really seems to be in love Megan.

MissCricket

MissCricket

Video Archivist

First of all, DAMN. I am willing to break my sink just so Don Draper can come fix it.

And on a more serious note, I thought this was a wonderful episode; it just ended so it hasn't really settled yet, but the character development was very subtle and very moving.

Something very very bad is going to happen with Pete this season. Poor Trudy.

iggypop123

iggypop123

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

This was a meh episode. It does seem they are taking turns showing certain characters episodes. So far its been Lane, Pete, Joan, Peggy, and my guess maybe we get everyone next time. Cannot shake the disappointment i have, this wasn't great.

Edited by iggypop123, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:10 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Oh damn Pete, you know you had it coming. I would like to think at least a couple of those were for Trudy.

Joan is so cool. I thought she would just keep walking.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I really liked this one. It usually does take a few weeks for the season to get going for me, and it did so tonight. I really like John Slattery's directing work.

Edited by lz1982, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:10 PM.

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the idea of Lane/Joan? Yes? OK then.

Pete was just gross the whole episode. My money was on Lane too.

I loved Peggy! That look after the fight was perfect. I want more of her and Joan, I love them together.

I was really proud of myself for calling the plumbing fix as totally wrong. Just call me Plumber Midge.

Edited by Midge, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:11 PM.

jr352

jr352

Couch Potato

I swear it's a race between Pete and Roger who ends up chucking themself out the window by season's end.

As much as Pete is obsessed with manliness, getting beat up at work is going to drive him insane. And between last week's talk of Richard Speck and then this week talking about another shooter, I think we have a theme here with men slowly going crazy.

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

So, Pete is starting to become Don Draper redux? Cheating on his wife, flirting with random girls, sick of the suburbs. To think Don is the one to tell him to value what he has. I wonder if this prefigures Trudy leaving Pete, maybe once she gets wind of this tomcatting and decides she can't take it any more a la Betty.

While we're on the subject, imagine *Roger* of all people being the one to tell Ken that he has a full-time job "and a night job" as an accounts man. Snoozing-in-the-office, lazy-as-hell Roger, who ironically enough was noodling around on his own book DURING WORK HOURS at one point. It's completely unfair that Ken should have his out-of-hours hobby kiboshed by his boss. If he were into sailing or reading would Roger feel he had as much of a right to say he should stop? And if Pete really was the one who ratted him out that makes me glad Lane kicked his ass, especially since he was most likely motivated by jealousy left over from season 1. Good for Ken for pursuing his passion and being so successful at it.

Edited by Libby1975, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

HoyaTables

HoyaTables

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

The best part had to be Don ripping off his shirt and fixing the faucet. I felt bad for Pete but at the same time he did some pretty lousy stuff (lusting after the high school girl and sleeping with the call girl) that he certainly deserved his comeuppance.

Correct me if I am wrong, however, but Lane has some shaky moral high ground when it comes to call girls, doesn't he? Or am I misremembering his night out with Don from last season? I don't think I am.

This show really wants me to believe that Don has grown. I prefer to think it is more that he is less divided and more at peace with Dick as well as Don. Some explicit nods to his past in this one (growing up in the boonies, his mother's profession). That said, I fully expect some sort of disastrous blow up later on this season.

YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I think this showed segregation between women and men. Megan secretly ganged up with "the wives" to get Don out to Pete's house, and then the boys all went to the Best Little Whorehouse that Roger Frequents.

Loves the fistfight, which was about insecurities.

And Joan and Lane. Joan was like - I don't think so, too much noise.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Poor Pete. He really just needs to move back to Manhattan and he'll be so much happier. I bet Tammy will end up liking it better too.

Pete wasn't a choir boy when he lived in Manhattan. He cheated on his fiancee in the very first episode. My heart breaks for Trudy. She couldn't be any sweeter, even reaching jaded old Don with her cheerful attitude.

Nice callback to Dick Whitman re: Charles Whitman and the shooting in Texas. But Don didn't grow up in a whorehouse, did her? His mother died giving birth and he was raised by Archie and his stepmother.

Charles Whitman and the terror in Texas

Edited by PolkaDotty, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Good show. I thought they reserved the gruesome accident movies for pre-prom, not driver's ed. Even so, thankfully a somewhat lighter ep than last week. But just as rich thematically, storywise, and characterwise. And very stylishly directed by Mr. Slattery.

Megan handles Don so well--yeesh, the sportscoat. But I can't help feeling Good Don will eventually crumble. Great scene in the cab and another in the elevator. VK is amazing.

Allison Brie is so good as Trudy and significantly different from Annie on Community. Are they padding her as well as January Jones?

Jared Harris is exceptional as Lane. And the fight scene--there are no words.

Wow, I am very glad to have this show back.

ETA I am also very glad Ken continues to write.

Edited by Charlie Baker, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:14 PM.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Glad I'm not the only one who burst out laughing at Don's sportsjacket.

Oh Pete, Pete, Pete. I squirmed through this whole episode, yet somehow finding myself liking him all the more. Maybe I'd be one of those girls going home with Pete because I felt sorry for him because nobody likes him. He's just one of those characters who acts worse the worse he feels.

It's sad that I was actually relieved that he cheated on Trudy with a hooker because he wasn't trying to bang a high school senior. Was that not pathetic in the 60s, Pete?

I disagree, though, with the comment that he feels particularly weighed down with a wife and kid. I think he's fine with them. He just feels inadequate in every other way and not like a man. He doesn't have a personality like Ginsberg where he'd probably make it a thing to not be able to fight or fix a faucet. He always called the landlord. Poor guy can't even drive. Or party like Don either. The hooker knowing "You're my king" is what he wants to hear was so sad and funny at the same time.

Even funnier is that as cringeworthy as Pete's scenes are, I find Don just as cringeworthy. I'm just sick of his fantasy marriage to Megan. When he talked about how he wouldn't have screwed it up "if he met her first" I wanted to point out that he DID meet her first. Betty used to be her. Stop patting yourself on the back for staying faithful for all of a few months, Don.

Also, yet again Megan spends the entire ep with Don, and the one time we see her in the office she's taken over Don's office to type. I think her line about seeing what Peggy and Don do is still totally bull.

Finally, go Ken. They can't take all your pen names! (Should we assume Pete did tell Roger? Or is Ken wrong about that?)

So sad that Lane and Pete actually have a lot in common. But when they're both feeling weak in the same ep it's not pretty. Kind of sad that of course they go after each other. They both see each other as the one guy they can feel tougher than. But of course Pete loses. Lane's got a lot more experience being knocked around physically, obviously.

ETA: I think when Don said he grew up in a whorehouse he just meant he went there a lot when he was young, not that he was raised in one. Even his bio mom didn't seem to work in one.

Loved the contrasting of how both Ken and Don grew up in the country and thus were manlier than Woody Allen-ish Pete whose family donated the Botanical Gardens.

Edited by Sister Magpie, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:18 PM.

gingerhorsesnap

gingerhorsesnap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

bahahaha after all of the speculation about imdb listing a stunt double of Vincent Kartheiser who would've thought that it was for an awkward/hilarious fist fight.

Peggy and Joan listening in and their reactions to the aftermath were amazing.

I love Ken and Peggy's rapport so I loved that they had some kind of pact about work and that he let her in on his secret, and I loved the call back to his writing. Bit of a sad episode for him though. Funny how he used to be one of the more douchey ones and now it's clear that he's one of the last good ones in that office.

I liked Pete and Trudy and I thought that they had a somewhat decent marriage (at least compared to Betty/Don, Roger/his wives, etc) so this disappointed me. I'm not a fan of Pete's but Kartheiser did some A+ acting in this episode, especially the elevator scene with Don at the end.

Edited by gingerhorsesnap, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Joan was right. Pete needed to have his ass kicked a long time before now. He is such a deluded putz. I love how he said to Don in the elevator "I thought we were all friends." This after his near-constant sniping and insults at Lane and Roger. Loved the emasculation trifecta that Pete got tonight - losing the fight with Lane, losing the teenage girl to the high school boy, and best of all, fumbling with the tool box while Don fixed the leaky faucet.

Roger gets all the best lines. "I had Lane the whole time."

Since when is it against the rules for Ken to moonlight as a writer? I thought that many people in advertising were frustrated authors. Does anyone know what pact he made with Peggy?

Also, the look on Don's face when Pete cornered him about the dinner party? Hilarious!

Edited by avecsans, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:16 PM.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Nice callback to Dick Whitman re: Charles Whitman and the shooting in Texas. But Don didn't grow up in a whorehouse, did her? His mother died giving birth and he was raised by Archie and his stepmother.

Yeah, that threw me too. I guess it was put in to show that Don is owning up to his past more.

SaoMagnifico

SaoMagnifico

Video Archivist

Lane Pryce is totally my favorite character on this show. I won't even mind if he and Joan get together.

And this episode was just full of humiliation for Pete, the little shit. Him letching after that high school girl was downright hard to watch.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Although he picked the hottest hooker

You got that right......wow, she was hot.

SOmeone kicking Pete's ass though was a long time coming, Joan is right.

There as a lot packed into this episode, its going to take another viewing or two

I've always liked Ken the best. I am glad he keeps writing.

DOn and the sink.....amazing.

Interesting to see Pete now feeling older and noticing his age.

GUm in the pubic hair.....classic mad men. You have to laught at that

Dianaofthehunt

Dianaofthehunt

Loyal Viewer

JOAN IS BACK.

I'm happy to learn that Cynthia Cosgrove is employed, and not yet another housewife.

Why would the agency have a problem with Ken's writing? If it doesn't interfere with his work, (and it doesn't seem to,) what business is it of the bosses'? I find it hard to believe that Roger could lay down an edict like that.

And, yes, Pete MUST get out of the suburbs. He and Trudy should move back to Giraffe Central, and Trudy needs to find a job and stop wearing those inexplicably poofy dresses (for 1966.)