14-8: 2012.04.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

125 replies to this topic

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

Also, Maks is getting on my nerves a bit. Ostensibly he's smiling and acting good-natured but ... gosh, it's hard to explain ... there is still that sense of ass-hattery that comes out every time the judges open their mouths. He never looks directly at them. When they speak he stars off into the distance or to he side, or whispers in Melissa's ear. My dog does the same thing when he's mad at me. Maks? You are in trouble if my dog can out-subtle you. Again, hard to explain but if you've ever had a conversation with an annoyed teenager, you know exactly what I mean. CarrieAnne actually gave effective criticism this week Maks looked right through her (kind of the whole "Oh, is that a fly buzzing?" then gives that teeth-gritting smile). I wish he'd just man up, take the criticism and stop being so entitled. Between his management team (Lizzie Grubman is the worst), his clique and the hard-core "Maks can do no wrong" fans, he's got way too many people enabling him. I hate to see him buying into the whole victim mentality. Yes, the judges can be ridiculous but every other pro manages to look like they're listening and taking in what they have to say. In an interview about Melissa's injury (see their thread) I was so pleased to see what I thought was the old Maks ... I adore that Maks ... but then he mentioned the scores and how he disagreed with them. Just ... shut it Maks. Melissa deserved 7's the other week. She was not that good. Own it and then do better. We'll all love you and even better ... ENJOY you again.

THIS! So many times this. I actually thought Melissa got constructive criticism this week about flailing too much and to keep it tighter, and her steps being too big. But Maks' attitude listening to them annoyed me, as if he wasn't even paying attention. The 7s were deserved. But it seems that anything other than 10 10 10 on every single dance he does outrages not only Maks, but those hardcore fans you speak of. It's just amazing to me that neither he nor his fans can even fathom the idea that not everything he does is perfect. And I find it a bit odd this season since, reading his blogs and his tweets, I've gotten the distinct impression Maks knows Melissa isn't very good and they're just buying time and coasting along on his fan base. Who, if you think about it, are doing the same thing they complained about with Bristol -- knocking out better dancers with their power voting and trying to get Maks (not Melissa)the mirror ball in a season he doesn't even come close to deserving it.

Now, that being said, I also did want to comment on something else related to Maks. I don't know how any Maks fan out there wasn't infuriated listening to Len carry on about Derek taking off his shirt and giving them a 9 after what happened during Maks's Samba with Erin. Personally, I would much rather see Maks dance shirtless than Derek, and I also think when Maks did it, it fit the dance/song much better. Derek's seemed gratuitous and forced.

kazou

kazou

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

toonces464: Now, that being said, I also did want to comment on something else related to Maks. I don't know how any Maks fan out there wasn't infuriated listening to Len carry on about Derek taking off his shirt and giving them a 9 after what happened during Maks's Samba with Erin. Personally, I would much rather see Maks dance shirtless than Derek, and I also think when Maks did it, it fit the dance/song much better. Derek's seemed gratuitous and forced.

Well, I'll return the "THIS!" Toonces. I don't know what's up with Len this season. It's not just that he didn't call out Derek on his shirtlessness (is that a word? LOL). He didn't call them out on the how many beats that interminable faux kiss took out of the dance. In fairness, CAI called them out quite well (who knew?) but he didn't even voice agreement.

The Maks/Lizzi No Apologies tour may get on my last nerve but dang, that man is one of the only pros I enjoy shirtless (and even then, he carries it a bit too far sometimes -- we don't need to see his bare chest *every* dance). Oh, and if Maks is not spray tanning (and he says he is not, therefore I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on something this trivial) then he's waaaaayyyyyy overdoing the tanning bed. And nobody will ever convince me that tanning beds are healthy. Step away from it Maks ... you're too cute to look like dried leather before your time!

Woodrose

Woodrose

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Now, that being said, I also did want to comment on something else related to Maks. I don't know how any Maks fan out there wasn't infuriated listening to Len carry on about Derek taking off his shirt and giving them a 9 after what happened during Maks's Samba with Erin. Personally, I would much rather see Maks dance shirtless than Derek, and I also think when Maks did it, it fit the dance/song much better. Derek's seemed gratuitous and forced.

I'm in favor of ALL the guys, including Maks, dancing shirtless when their partners are dancing in bikinis. I wish the celebs and pros would laugh in Len's face whenever he chastises men for opening their shirts, while the women are standing right beside them in sparkly bikinis with a bit of sparse fringe laughingly called a 'skirt'.

It's a ridiculous double standard for Len to encourage women to wear short 'skirts' and show their cleavage, then admonish the guys for showing much less skin.

Derek's dancing without his shirt was no more gratuitous and forced than Maria dancing in a fringed 2 piece bathing suit, or Kym dancing in a bikini with fringe down her leg.

I personally prefer to watch Derek dance shirtless rather than Maks or Tristan, since I'm not a fan of tattoos. However, I would never request Tristan or Maks to put their shirts back on, for two reasons. One, because I think it's more balanced for guys and gals to both show skin, and two, because I know that others enjoy watching them shirtless and I have no wish to deny them that pleasure.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

I personally prefer to watch Derek dance shirtless rather than Maks or Tristan, since I'm not a fan of tattoos.

I personally hate tattoos too and it's definitely affected my enjoyment of watching Maks dance shirtless. Back when he did that Samba, he didn't have it. But my point was that not only did Len make such a huge stink about it when Maks did it, he also docked Erin points for it -- and then praised Derek for it. Let's have some consistency.

Edited by toonces464, Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:13 PM.

renatae

renatae

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:07 AM

He didn't need that bottle and she didn't need that suitcase, either. Just dance, she has more than enough talent to carry almost anything he can throw at her, the props and the characters Mark chose were unnecessary, to me, they proved to be distractions, not compliments to an amazing dance.

I loved the dance and I felt they struck just the right emotional chord. I was mesmerized. However, after the first watching, I was wondering how that bottle suddenly disappeared. I watched several more times, but since it was on the Xfinity on Demand, I couldn't slow it down. The bottle suddenly disappears during a turn. Never saw it flying away, never figured out what happened to it. It's driving me nuts. For me, this was the dance of the evening.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

Renatae, Mark tossed the bottle off to his left during the dance. I wondered at the time if it were made of rubber since I was imagining broken glass all over the stage. It was never shown again so I'm guessing a producer swooped it up and off the dance floor.