14-8: 2012.04.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

125 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

It's Latin Night on "Dancing with the Stars" and Global Music Icon Carlos Santana takes over the ballroom with performances of some of his classic hits throughout the evening. In a stunning opening number with the Troupe, Carlos Santana will perform his first ever Top 10 hit, "Evil Ways." He will also perform his popular hit song "Maria, Maria," featuring dancers Louis Van Amstel and Anna Trebunskaya. And the remaining nine couples will heat up the floor dancing either the Salsa, Argentine Tango or the Samba, MONDAY, APRIL 16 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on ABC.

DoleWhip

DoleWhip

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Can't believe I'm saying this, but regarding Donald and Peta's Argentine Tango, I agreed with Carrie Ann - it was my favorite dance of the night, even more than Katherine's (but I still love her and gave her all my votes).

I also liked Roshon's salsa.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Len is full of crap. Holy overscoring batman, what the hell was that? How did Maria get 9s? How did William get 10s, for what? How did Donald get a freakin' 8??!!

And whoever dressed Miss. G should be shot.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Good show. But what the hell--Derek has become the showboater and Ballas has toned it down? That tango was exceptionally good.

Jaleel may be a nutcase, but he brought it--he really danced and really partnered and who knew he had that body? (Even if the abs were maybe enhanced?) Underscored.

Another what the hell--Carrie Ann actually giving insightful feedback to Melissa? I think I totally agreed with that.

Well--Gavin is likable, anyway.

The promo for Duets I must admit was clever--and the names attached--and OMG I don't want to get involved with a singing competition.

I have some friends who must be freaking that CARLOS SANTANA did DWTS! Louis and Anna were terrific!

Willliam did OK--but will his hunkatude take him to the finals? WAY Overscored.

Kudos to Tristan for going for it and giving Gladys a samba routine and to her for giving it her all. Love this woman, but her stay may be winding down.

Roshon is a little geeky, but did pretty well. Donald didn't do a whole lot of dancing, but his strength and lifts were impressive.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Just a couple of comments.

Maria was soooooooooo over scored.
Derek's bare chest - DO.NO. WANT.TO.SEE
Gavin's probably gone. Either him or Gladys.

After all these seasons, why do performers think they can tour and compete. Might work for a ringer, but not for someone like Gavin who is rhythm-challenged or Gladys who is significantly older than the others.

BTW, Maks has taken to Facebook to deny spray tanning. I volunteer to validate his assertion.

annoyinglyrad

annoyinglyrad

Channel Surfer

Donald Driver was robbed. Maria and that gimmicky dance get a 9 and he gets an 8? Shennanigans.

Growing to love Gavin as well, he just has so much enthusiasm and joy. Hopefully others leave before him, but it doesn't look good after that dance.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

OMG ANNA! (And Louis, I guess.) So excited to see her again. I'll accept her elimination with good grace if it means seeing her dance more in the pro routines. Her footwork was amazingly fast.

When Maria fell flat on her stomach, I thought for a minute that she was worried about her ribs because she landed pretty hard. But nope, it was her freakin' chin. Good grief. By the end of the season, she's going to come out in a body cast. Can we take bets on which body part she'll injure next week? I put five bucks on her right eye.

And while I'm talking about Maria - Maria and Derek's dance was a mess. If you absolutely need to take your shirt off, take it off, but don't waste 5 seconds in the middle of the dance to do it. And don't follow that up with a makeout session, FFS. Carrie Ann won back a bit of goodwill when she called them out on the latter. They're so desperate to play up the showmance, it's embarrassing.

I don't know if Katherine and William deserved 29s, but after the judges gave out 9s for Maria's dance, I guess the 10s weren't that out of line, relatively speaking.

I wasn't really feeling Glady's dance. She had a sense of rhythm and musicality, but the whole routine felt slow and tentative. But I can't complain too much about the judges' praise because I felt it made up for screwing her over last week.

MeowHerine

MeowHerine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Maria doesn't cry over two (alleged) broken ribs, her fractured(?) feet but cries over smacking her chin? Mmmkay, whatev.

Really like the argentine tangos, especially Donald and Peta's. Although, I was kind of worried Peta would slip out of his hands during that spin. Yikes.

I hope Gladys makes it to Motown week because that would be all kinds of awesome.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Creepy moment of the night (and possibly of the season) - Maria's father enthusiastically applauding Bruno's desire to join his daughter and her partner in a 3-way.

I thought this was a good dance for Gladys but I think she lost energy a couple of times. No wonder, though, with her schedule.

I can never decide who bugs more - Derek or Mark. Tonight it was actually Derek. Put your shirt back on, Dennis the Menace. And could Maria be any more of a drama queen? Sheesh. I expected some blood or tooth shards, at least.

Dule Hill in the audience? Yes, please, for season 15. Love him.

JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I felt pretty bad about it ... but I laughed when Maria landed on her chin. If it hadn't been for all the press her other injuries received, I wouldn't have, but as many "what's she going to injure next" jokes, it was just kind of comical.

It's also not fair to William, but my predominant reaction to his dance was "he is SOOOOOO not Gilles".

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

When Gavin danced, was anyone else think Gillagan's Island or just me? While I'm not on the lustboat, I thought William's dance was the best I've seen from him. Roshan is starting to grow on me a bit.

I'm assuming even if Gladys Night is in the bottom two, with the dance off, they'll still keep her for MoTown next week, then they'll try to get rid of her.

Boudreau

Boudreau

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I was surprised by the scoring as well - I definitely thought Donald and Peta deserved higher scores, and the 8 from Len was almost egregious. I did think William was good though, as well as Jaleel and Maria.

I also thought Gavin was better than Gladys so I was surprised that she was scored higher, but maybe they want to keep her on for Motown week?

Gavin and Gladys are my call for the dance off, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Melissa there either.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

Tom, after Maria was bouncing around backstage post-dance: "Tassels are bouncy!"

Roshon thinks he is cooler than he is, and that's really annoying to watch. Hey Roshon, try acting normal just once. You might come across as likeable.

MusicaDolce

MusicaDolce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

I totally agree with this:

And while I'm talking about Maria - Maria and Derek's dance was a mess. If you absolutely need to take your shirt off, take it off, but don't waste 5 seconds in the middle of the dance to do it. And don't follow that up with a makeout session, FFS. Carrie Ann won back a bit of goodwill when she called them out on the latter. They're so desperate to play up the showmance, it's embarrassing.

"Desperate" is exactly what I'd call it too. Even though Carrie Ann criticized their shenanigans a bit, I still thought they should have been docked more. Their entire dance was one big gimmick.

I don't usually get when people go crazy for William, but I actually loved his Argentine Tango tonight. Very nice.

The costumes on this show are always crazy, but I thought Kym's was particularly atrocious. One bare leg and one in fringe? So odd.

Gavin's samba looked completely ridiculous, but I still kinda loved it - I would rather see him stay over several others. He's just so damn endearing.

Next week is the Motown Special? Clearly, Gladys is in no danger of going home.

ratherbereading

ratherbereading

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Charlie Baker

I have some friends who must be freaking that CARLOS SANTANA did DWTS!

Do I know you?? I was bouncing around the room.

I'm also flying to Vegas in September to see Santana at the House of Blues.

Back to the show in general.

Derek does need to keep her shirt on-and buttoned up. Maria needs to be dressed every week in head to toe bubble wrap.

I have grown to love Gavin and his enthusiasm but if it comes down to him or Gladys? He needs to go. However, there is still Melissa that can go before both of them.

msburg

msburg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Really liked Donald's dance, can't believe he only got an 8 from Len. The lifts were breathtaking and dynamic, and he totally bought into the character of the dance. Seriously, an 8?

Was watching Jaleel closely, and it is definitely Kym barely tolerating him. This was his best dance since week 1. Noticed at the end when they were taking their bows that he wrapped his arm around her and grabbed her rearend instead of her side. Innocuous, until we see at that camera angle Kym grabbing his hand and trying to remove it from her body. Telling.... Her dress with the wrap around leg fringe was odd and clunky looking.

And award from most desparate goes to... Derek Hough! That dance did not need him ripping off his shirt and laying one on her. Took away from a good effort on her part. Roshon trying to channel William is a very close second.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Amazing performance from Carlos Santana and band - still!

Gladys and Gavin are in trouble, judges' score-wise. I think Gladys herself knows that too. As usual, her classy self is keeping that knowledge in check.

First-time in a long while, Mark is being a real teacher to Katherine and presenting the star without pushing himself forward as 'the other star'. Loved the choreo he created for the AT.

Roshon and Chelsie were under-scored. I do hope they will continue to move on with the help of the voters.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

I can never decide who bugs more - Derek or Mark. Tonight it was actually Derek. Put your shirt back on, Dennis the Menace. And could Maria be any more of a drama queen? Sheesh. I expected some blood or tooth shards, at least.

That's who Derek reminds me of! I never got the "Derek is so sexy" bit -- he looks like a boy to me, and now I know which one!

I once fell and hit my chin like Maria did -- ran my hand underneath my chin and came up with a palmful of blood. Really didn't hurt, though. I also noticed that as she was lying on her stomach after the fall, she was bouncing her feet up and down and appeared to be tapping her toes with each bounce. That can't be good for her stress fractures. And her dad applauding the threesome? All kinds of wrong.

I agree that if Gladys ends up bottom two with another non-pet (like Gavin or Melissa, rather than a fall from grace like Roshon) they'll save her for Motown week. That means more Tristan, so it's all good to me.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Ransom reactions to tonight's show:

Most of the music tonight was much better than usual - was Santana sitting in with the show band? Or was the show band just inspired by the example?

When Maria fell on her face and refused to get up, I thought at first she was joking. All that macha attitude about ribs and whatever and then she goes into a tailspin over bumping her chin??

Drew Pinsky in the audience - is he thinking about joining the cast? That would be hilarious to see!

There was a brief glimpse of someone in the audience who looked like Padma Lakshmi, or was I seeing things?

Cheryl looked beautiful, loved her gown. "Loosen Up My Buttons" was the only dud song of the night,imo, though.

Yay Louis and Anna!!

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Len is full of crap. Holy overscoring batman, what the hell was that? How did Maria get 9s? How did William get 10s, for what? How did Donald get a freakin' 8??!!

*applause*. Maria's dance did not deserve 9's at ALL, if that was a 9 then Donald should have gotten similar scores. Donald did more in his Tango than William did in his.

My favorite dances of the night was hands down Donald and Peta's Tango, she must really trust him. Also loved Roshon's salsa with Chelsea and his tidbit with William.

So how many nekkid chests did we see tonight, although I must say, "Jaleel, who knew"..

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Right? Perhaps next week they'll up their desperation and leak a sex tape to get their perfect 10s from the judges.

There was a lot of not so good costuming tonight. Derek's love affair with neon yellow must be stopped. And the brown shirt was deadly dull against Jaleel's skin. But nothing topped Maks' spray tan and pink shirt.

I'm still amazed at Katherine and Mark's AT. Not because it was spectacular, though Katherine was very good, of course, but because Mark didn't outdance her. At all. Who knew there was a subtle bone in his body?

It was great seeing Anna and Louis again.

When the camera panned to the staging for Roshon and Chelsea's dance I was trying to imagine how a song from Fern Gully (or The Jungle Book) could possibly qualify as Latin music.

I'm quickly tiring of theme nights, but I also want Gladys to make it to Motown week.

simba12

simba12

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Maria's 27 represented one of the most egregious cases of overscoring I've ever seen on this show...that dance was mediocre at best.

Donald was good but the footwork was iffy...his kicks weren't sharp at all. The 10s being thrown out tonight bordered on absurd.

Len actually stood up for Jaleel's comments...then gave him an 8. Odd.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

~My Dancing with the Stars 14 Week 5 Review~

Preface- Latin week was interesting. It was nice to see a theme that didnít distract from the show as much as Rock week did. Some interesting dances and a dance that shouldíve been a 30.

1. Jaleel & Kym (Samba) 24/30:
Well, it wasnít his worst, but he still hasnít matched his great Foxtrot on the first week. Doing so amazing on the first week can go 2 ways; like Katherine, you can be consistent and be great every week, or you could do what Jaleel is doing and just being underwhelming. He did himself in setting the bar so high at first. This dance was a bit too wild in parts and lacked a bit of refinement, plus it seemed like to me that Kym did most of it. My score: 23/30

2. Melissa & Maks (Salsa) 21/30: It was one of her better dances. The problem is she hasnít had that breakout dance yet. Sheís either been OK or good. This dance had some really good moments and some weaker ones. She could go, but she benefits from having someone who did worse than her tonight and her proís big fan base. My score: 22/30

3. Maria & Derek (Salsa) 27/30: This was such a fun dance. The music was pumping and the dance was hot and sensual, what a Salsa should be. The judges wanted to give her 10ís, but some of the connections just got a tad bit messy, so I can understand the 9ís. But it was crowd pleasing choreography as Derek always produces. My score: 27/30

4. Katherine & Mark (Argentine Tango) 29/30:
At first I was a little worried that she wouldnít bring the intensity needed but man she proved me wrong. Usually Iím rooting for her but I was just silent and had my eyes glued to the screen. The mood was amazing, the music was slow and sensual, and the technique was superb. I donít know why Len gave her a 9. There was nothing negative in her critique. Oh well, Still was amazing and one of her best. Shouldíve been the seasonís first 30. My score: 30/30

5. Gavin & Karina (Samba) 23/30: The opening was creative, liked the boat part. But thatís about all I liked. Technique was just really hit and miss. Really didnít suit him at all. I appreciate the effort he gave, but the dance just wasnít good. My score: 21/30

6. William & Cheryl (Argentine Tango) 29/30: Well, it was good, but his whole segment of the show just frustrates me. Is he that much of a commodity that he canít be put in the first half of the show? Everyone else has been in it, except him. The dance was good, but itís hard to judge a male celeb Argentine Tango because they just donít do as much as the females do. The girlsí non-stop screaming is so off putting that it just turns me off. My score: 27/30

7. Gladys & Tristan (Samba) 22/30: She pitched it perfectly tonight. The Samba couldíve been a disaster for her, but luckily she did exactly as Len said. Simple, but effective and it had Samba content and great job on those Samba rolls. No one else tried it tonight. I think Latin dances are her niche because she can perform and play to the audience. I think she bought herself another week. My score: 22/30

8. Roshon & Chelsie (Salsa) 26/30: Once again, it was good, but as every week, Iím noticing that he seems to wild and crazy. I get that heís young and youthful, but not every dance requires wildness. Salsa is more of a fluid, club dance, so parts were good, but it was a tad bit hectic in spots. My score: 25/30

9. Donald & Peta (Argentine Tango) 27/30:
The lifts were really good. The one at the end was the best one, but I agree with Len in saying that the dance part wasnít as good in comparison. Their dance content suffered from focusing too much on the lifts. Lifts are just one part of the Argentine Tango, not the whole thing. My score: 26/30

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Also really Show, why is there even a need to be a dance-off tomorrow night, or even more dance-offs for the next few weeks? From tonight's performances, we, the audience can see who is putting in the effort, who is growing and learning, who has plateaued, who is continuing to struggle etc. Give the voting public some credit, please!

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

SANTANA. Shutup!

Awesome night of music and dancing. Len? THE hell? What gives? He is deliberately submarining good dancers, and dissing others. It makes no sense. He needs to give DETAILED instruction to those he feels are waning. My two cents.

Gladys did well, but she didn't sparkle as much as some. Wondering if the pace or the bad judging is getting to her? She's a professional though. Class act. She got all of my phone votes. Hoping she stays another week.

B-bye Gavin. Boring, but nice guy.

I agree that Peta and Donald were stunning. Top dance tonight.

The music really was great. Carlos, my man, was a shining light on the stage.

Edited by hoosier, Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:39 PM.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Katherine and Mark were simply amazing tonight. Their dance was far and away the best of the night. She is stunning on the dance floor. Mark has done a fantastic job with her.

Derek is worse than ever this season.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

Also really Show, why is there even a need to be a dance-off tomorrow night, or even more dance-offs for the next few weeks? From tonight's performances, we, the audience can see who is putting in the effort, who is growing and learning, who has plateaued, who is continuing to struggle etc. Give the voting public some credit, please!

Not when you have certain pro fan bases voting all night for two of the three worst dancers left.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Was watching Jaleel closely, and it is definitely Kym barely tolerating him. This was his best dance since week 1. Noticed at the end when they were taking their bows that he wrapped his arm around her and grabbed her rearend instead of her side. Innocuous, until we see at that camera angle Kym grabbing his hand and trying to remove it from her body. Telling....

I noticed it as well. Just shook my head and wondered who else would notice it.

I thought Maria was dancing a little on the slow side - only me? Okay. I never noticed the stalling tactics until they were pointed out to me on here and now I really catch them - award of the night has to go Maria and Derek. The way she was carrying on with falling on her chin I thought she had knocked out some teeth! When I saw her father cheering for Bruno's comment I remembered someone on here talking about pre-recorded reactions and figured someone in the control room missed the boat in editing.

Here's hoping this dance off stuff backfires on the show and they get two of their favourites in the bottom who need to dance off. How fast will the rules of elimination change then?

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Maria is just one unlucky celebrity. This week she does a big time face plant to match her injured rib and feet. I'm glad she didn't lose any teeth.

Highlight of the night was seeing Mark take a shot to the nads in rehearsal. That hurts even if you are wearing a cup. I was very impressed with the traditional tango he choreographed for Katherine. She looked so lovely out there tonight.

Gladys is just making her age a non-issue. The lady is out touring and rehearsing for dwts at 67. She did a pretty good Samba tonight too. Especially when you consider the limited rehearsal time she gets every week.

Overall, it was a really fun week to watch.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:46 PM.

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

First-time in a long while, Mark is being a real teacher to Katherine and presenting the star without pushing himself forward as 'the other star'. Loved the choreo he created for the AT.

IMO, it was one of the best dances tonight. Superb choreography.

Did not like Derek and Maria's dance. I think they were overscored.

Do not share the "William love" - ??? I think Gladys will be going home tomorrow.