8-17: "We Need the Eggs" 2012.04.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

26 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

From Zap2it:

House and the team treat a man who sheds tears of blood; when House acts out, when his favorite prostitute decides to leave the business.

Thread will open 4/16 at 10:00pm EDT.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:17 PM.

brisbydog

brisbydog

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

So it has happened...I now like every character on the show except House, who is a complete jerk. At some point even Taub has climbed the rung to tolerable. So glad this is nearly over.

HappyHumanist

HappyHumanist

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Can someone please tell me what was in the letter House opened? It appeared so quickly and I couldn't see it. I suppose that it is from the INS (based on the coming attractions).

arachne

arachne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

I know this sounds sick as hell, but at the end of the show it looked as if POTW was contemplating a three-way with Amy and Teddy.

emdroberts

emdroberts

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

I am going to have nightmares about that doll.

I liked this episode. It was funny and I hope House stays with his wife.

lulu42

lulu42

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Can someone please tell me what was in the letter House opened?

Something about her citizenship status being approved. So she doesn't need House anymore. If she knew, she might leave him, so he threw away the letter before she saw it.

eta: I thought the same thing when they panned over to the teddy bear...

Edited by lulu42, Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:27 PM.

northern eye

northern eye

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

Holy Hannah. I was gonna hang on til the bitter end but watching this one mainly on mute is probably a big ol sign from the TeeVee god. The end is not near, the end is here.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

After the last few episodes, where nothing turned out to be real (not House's biological father or Wilson's long-lost son), the end of this episode was actually a breath of fresh air for me. This is real. House and Domenika do actually feel something for one another, and it took Emily the hooker to make him realize it. It's sad that he felt he had to throw out the letter from the INS, telling her that her citizenship had been approved, because he thinks that's the only thing keeping her with him and he doesn't want her to leave. He can't see any other reason why she'd want to stay with him, but I do think she loves him in her own way, and look forward to where they take this relationship.

HappyHumanist

HappyHumanist

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

Something about her citizenship status being approved. So she doesn't need House anymore. If she knew, she might leave him, so he threw away the letter before she saw it.

Thanks, lulu42!

Edited by HappyHumanist, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:41 AM.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

I know this sounds sick as hell, but at the end of the show it looked as if POTW was contemplating a three-way with Amy and Teddy.

Yes! I thought the same thing.

The episode title was interesting to me. It references a line from Annie Hall that Stacy explained to House in "Failure to Communicate." The fact that the episode featured a House/Domenika storyline makes me wonder if Domenika will end up as another long-term love interest, like Stacy, and whether the series will end with them together.

mrconmath

mrconmath

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

The immigration letter also refers to a future swearing-in ceremony. Does the approved application have to be 'consummated' with a swearing-in, or am I reading too much into this?

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

The episode title is sort of a description of the "House" series as a whole. The people around House have a hard time dealing with him, but they put up with him because they -- and the patients -- need the eggs, i.e. his diagnostic skills.

Nycnftm

Nycnftm

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

this episode would have been much better without the character House.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

I realize the medical aspect of the show has taken a back seat to the personal soap operas and wacky hijinks, but I couldn't follow the POTW at all this week. Did they even try to tie it all together? He has a stiff neck and suddenly it's meningitis? How does that cause or fit any of his other symptoms? Does that make you cry blood? Was there any connection to the doll at all?

I got a totally opposite vibe from the pan shot to the teddy bear. I thought the POTW realized the bear was just a fake toy, and something clicked and he made the connection that the doll is too.

w2irt

w2irt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

The letter granted her permanent resident status then said citizenship was pending, with a swearing-in ceremony to follow.

Does the approved application have to be 'consummated' with a swearing-in, or am I reading too much into this?

In real-life New Jersey, the gubmint first grants you resident alien status, which is essentially "citizenship-lite" -- no right to vote, no obligation to do jury duty, but you're allowed basically everything else. You can live and work in the US, are bound by IRS tax law, etc. Then, at least 3 years later (and after you apply for it and pay a huge fee), you are granted an interview for full citizenship, and if you pass the exam and the background checks, you're sworn shortly thereafter; a month to six weeks in some cases. Same day for me in Newark. I went through this in 2002 (resident alien) and 2007 (citizenship). Our final husband-and-wife interview was in 2002. I was the immigrant, incidentally. The interviews are nowhere near as rigorous as shown in the earlier episode (and in the movie Green Card for that matter), unless it's blatant enough for a 4-year-old to see that the marriage is a sham. We were interviewed together, in the INS office in Manhattan and it took 2 minutes of us showing the interviewer our wedding pictures and telling the story of how we met. In the case of the show, they are blurring the status between legal permanent resident (green card) and full U.S. Citizen (swearing-in).

House (both the show and the character) can sit on a porcupine and wiggle as far as I'm concerned. The show jumped the shark years ago but I really started to loathe the character with the crash through Cuddy's house last season. He was dead to me from that moment onward. If they're going to attempt even the smallest hope of a redemption arc they'd best get moving now, but I don't see it happening.

Edited by w2irt, Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:01 PM.

mike

mike

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Note to House: if you want to throw away a letter, do not throw into an open wastebasket directly beside where you keep all your other mail. Of course, this means Domenika will find the letter and confront him. Wait. maybe that's what House wants to happen... Wait, maybe that's what he wants *me* to think will happen, so I will post in this thread and get it to a second page. Wow, he really *is* a genius! (Or maybe that's what he wants me to think?)

Edited by mike, Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:39 PM.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

This episode reminded me of the movie Lars and the Real Girl, where the story of a young man who uses a "real doll" as a girlfriend because he can't deal with real relationships was handled with far more sensitivity. In the movie, the young man has some serious emotional issues to begin with and can't communicate with other people. Then he gets the doll and introduces her as his girlfriend. He starts to interact with people sort of through her, and the people in the small town where he lives go along with it, being very friendly to his new girlfriend, who gets pushed around in a wheelchair. She gets a job at the local dress shop (working as a mannequin) and volunteers at the hospital in the children's ward ("reading" to the children through a tape deck set in her lap), and she gets invited to parties. By going with her through all her activities, he starts to make friends, then she starts to get in the way when he gets to know a woman he likes and he has to find a way to get the doll out of his life. It's a very sweet, funny and a little sad movie. There were moments, like when Chase wouldn't let Adams cut on the doll in front of the guy and when she later brought the doll back bandaged, when they got close to the level of understanding seen in that movie, but it seemed like this episode mostly used it as an excuse for sex doll jokes.

After the bleeding through the bandage hallucination, I was expecting to learn that the model for the doll had died in an accident, or something like that, not just that she wasn't into him.

I do hope that Chase sticks to his guns about not dating Adams, even if he was reacting to House's accusations that he only dates what's easily available without him having to search.

Boundary

Boundary

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

House the character has followed House the show into the gutter.

artsygal

artsygal

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Note to House: if you want to throw away a letter, do not throw into an open wastebasket directly beside where you keep all your other mail.

THIS and then some. I thought exactly the same thing.

Anyone else disappointed that it seems TPTB appear to be setting us up for a House/Dominica "happy ending"? BOO! I can't stand that dimwitted skinny bitch who's WAY too young for House (just the tip of the iceberg for why she's wrong for him). It's the male whore fantasy all over again (see film: Before Sunrise) and it's SO wrong. House is too smart for that.

I hate to admit it, but I'm hoping House dies in the last episode -- liver failure, overdose, something. No happy endings unless it's done VERY VERY well and does not involve Dominica as a permanent House Guest. (hah! Get it?)

Javert

Javert

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I thought the ending with Park and the lab guy singing was pretty cute, kind of like the ending of Juno. Honestly this show would be much better if only Park and Chase were on House's team, Taub and Adams are just plain insufferable.

As for House, I'm not sure who in the writer's room thought of this plotline, but the hooker thing isn't funny, it's actually pretty gross and sad at the same time. If they played it from an angle that shows just how pathetic House is I might buy it, but they go for cheap comedy.

HyacinthBucket

HyacinthBucket

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:57 AM

I also liked the Juno-like ending, Javert, with Park being the endearing misfit instead of Juno.

As for House, I'm not sure who in the writer's room thought of this plotline, but the hooker thing isn't funny, it's actually pretty gross and sad at the same time. If they played it from an angle that shows just how pathetic House is I might buy it, but they go for cheap comedy.

I logged on last night and wrote a paragraph to post on this thread, but deleted it because it didn't quite express my contempt of the whole hooker ordeal. I believe your simple comment will do just fine, thank you very much!

Sara Hess was one of the writers, and many of her episodes have that over-the-top, all-kinds-of-stupid element. She was responsible for that horrible episode where Cuddy pranked House. I've hated Cuddy ever since, and this one pretty much pushed me into that territory for House. He is beyond ridiculous at this point; a miserable mash-up of Ferris Bueller and Charlie Sheen. He is so far removed from the deep, tormented genius of Season 1 that it seems like an entirely different character. I kept waiting for Foreman to come in and stop the insanity, but he was AWOL last night again. The Sara Hess version of Cuddy would probably have unbuttoned the last of her blouse buttons and joined the queue.

On the plus side, at least Chase has grown over the last year or two and has become self-aware. Unfortunately, that is all I can add to the plus side for this episode.

momof6

momof6

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

With regard to Domenika, what woman with a shred of self-respect would want to be in an emotional/physical relationship with a man who had a regular hooker?
Or is that considered a step up from promiscuity?

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

I know it's wrong, but my favorite part of this episode was when after Taub confessed to lying his date said 'that's a different baby isn't it?' Don't know why, but I found that very chuckle worthy.

I missed the first 4 minutes and couldn't seem to catch up at all. Still hate Adams' character and am only happy that they're not taking the easy way out and getting her together with Chase. He needs to run screaming from her as fast as possible.

SoCal30

SoCal30

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

I can't wait for this show to be over. This episode was so boring, and I am only hanging in there to see how it all finally ends. I kept checking the clock to see how much time was left, and easily could have fast forwarded through most of it.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

With regard to Domenika, what woman with a shred of self-respect would want to be in an emotional/physical relationship with a man who had a regular hooker?
Or is that considered a step up from promiscuity?

The House/Domenika relationship has never been physical, and I'd say it's only become emotional very recently. She married him to get her green card; he married her to get back at Cuddy for dumping him (his rationalization of free maid/cook services never seemed very plausible to me). The only reason they're living together is because INS forced them to in order to prove that it was a real marriage before they'd give her the green card, and they both would've been in serious trouble if she hadn't moved in (she would've been deported and he could've gone back to jail). So she hardly had much right to tell him what to do, whether with hookers or anyone else. He's also got a long history of using hookers, and has talked about them and been seen with them since very early on (even in Seasons 1 and 2). It's been one of the character's habits for many years. Even while seeing Cuddy, he still attempted to use Brandy the masseuse, who had been one of his hookers in the past. What happened in We Need the Eggs, though, seems to be a step forward for House, because Emily pointed out to him that Domenika likes him. Maybe he hadn't really noticed this or dared to believe it before, but when he did, he told Domenika that he'd give up the hookers, even though notably he still didn't attempt to sleep with her. He also threw out the INS notice, which is a strong sign that he's scared of losing her, which makes me think he's realized he cares about her and likes having her around.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

What happened in We Need the Eggs, though, seems to be a step forward for House, because Emily pointed out to him that Domenika likes him. Maybe he hadn't really noticed this or dared to believe it before, but when he did, he told Domenika that he'd give up the hookers, even though notably he still didn't attempt to sleep with her. He also threw out the INS notice, which is a strong sign that he's scared of losing her, which makes me think he's realized he cares about her and likes having her around.

I think the writers could not be more obvious about where they are heading if they set up flashing neon signs in the lobby of PPTH: House loves Domenika! They have no confidence at all in the intelligence of their remaining viewers. Having Emily and Wilson comment about how perfect House and Domenika are just brought back all those painful Huddy memories when passing strangers would talk about how much in love House and Cuddy were. Wasn't buying it then, not buying it now.

Although I'm usual fairly good with accents, I can only understand about two words in three of what Domenika says. As I usually watch online, since I'm at work when House is broadcast, I can't turn on the closed captions. It's annoying but I'm sure I'm not missing much.

This is a sad excuse for a program. They should put it out of its misery now instead of airing the remaining six or so episodes. Transplant was the only episode that has earned a passing grade this season; the others were junk and House has become a complete and irredemiable scuzzball.

Edited by Lollia Pollina, Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:39 PM.

HollyTime

HollyTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

I thought Park singing with the guy was cute as well but her voice.. oh dear. It was cute though.

I am dying to see her made up - I am sure she could be very attractive. That would make an interesting twist.

The doll thing creeped me out. First of all finding her in bed with no pulse "call the coroner".. I would hope that for anyone in a hospital sitting there with his doll girlfriend - the pysch department would be called.

Can't stomach house anymore, what a scumbag.