20-8: "Let Them Drink Their Haterade (Lake Manyara, Tanzania)" 2012.04.15

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

232 replies to this topic

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Team BB made a sound strategic decision in U-Turning R/V: They knew the Teachers were so far behind as to be irrelevant so no point in making them hit the mat even later. Forcing the only other team possibly still behind them to be delayed was the smart move to make not for this leg, but for the next. The more teams behind you the better

Didn't Brenden also try to help the Teachers by giving them directions?

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

I wondered if those vehicles had additional security built in. For starters, it looked like the rails were pretty substantial, and like they were fairly high. I thought they had to really stand up to see over them. In other words, the rails were designed to prevent elephants from being able to pluck them out too easily. One would hope! ;-)

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

I have a good friend who has been to that crater in Tanzania, and she also has a lot of photos of animals coming quite close to the vehicles. She said that yes, the vehicles are quite secure, but also the animals are very accustomed to sightseers driving through so they're not skittish or easily threatened. Also, the area is very lush and fertile so they're all well fed and wouldn't have need to attack for that reason. I mean, you wouldn't get out of the car to pet a lion, but other than that, it was very safe.

I so want to go there.

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

Nary & Jamie by contrast never once got into the top three even, and were circling the drain for weeks.

Nary and Jamie didn't repeatedly insist that they expected to win every single leg. The BPs have done well but not well enough to justify that level of cockiness.

I just get the sense that the agents were liked by the other teams while the BPs are not, and that says a lot to me.

Bouquet

Bouquet

Channel Surfer

• Interests:South Park, Lost, The Amazing Race.

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:37 AM

I have less trouble with Art & J.J's intensity than with Vanessa's personal bullying.

But their tendency to litter their clue tear-strips does suggest a selfishness.

See the streak below the hand:

http://thumbnails72....65185692888.jpg

Edited by TWoP Roxy, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:32 PM.
please don't post pictures -- this is in the FAQ

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:42 AM

Nary and Jamie didn't repeatedly insist that they expected to win every single leg. The BPs have done well but not well enough to justify that level of cockiness. - pez10s

Whereas Nary and Jamie did nothing to justify their own level of cockiness.

Vanessa's personal bullying. - Bouquet

I don't see Vanessa as bullying anyone. Her arguments with BBRachel are a two-sided thing - far more two-sided than Rachel "I'm going to whine and pretend to cry like a three-year-old and act the victim, while conveniently forgetting all the nasty things I've said myself" would have people believe.

Bouquet

Bouquet

Channel Surfer

• Interests:South Park, Lost, The Amazing Race.

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

I don't see Vanessa as bullying anyone. Her arguments with BBRachel are a two-sided thing - far more two-sided than Rachel "I'm going to whine and pretend to cry like a three-year-old and act the victim, while conveniently forgetting all the nasty things I've said myself" would have people believe.

Didn't the feud start with Vanessa's unprovoked trash-talking to Rachel during the watermelon task?

SirDigbyPollo

SirDigbyPollo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

Didn't the feud start with Vanessa's unprovoked trash-talking to Rachel during the watermelon task?

No, but that did seem to denote a change from it being about game play to it being about something personal between the two teams. Well, between Vanessa and Brenchell, really. Initially, Ralph seemed to be trying to stay out of it. In the airport before the flight to Paraguay, Team BB did some "shit stirring" by telling the cousins that Vanessa had been talking smack about them. (Although that sounds like something that she'd do, I couldn't find any clips of her doing so. There is a clip of her saying that she initially thought the cousins were kind of stuck up, but she had a conversation with them at LAX and found that they were really nice.)

In any case, on the plane to Paraguay, the now-bonded teams of Brenchell and the cousins talked to some of the other passengers, trying to get them to block the other racers on the flight when the plane landed so that those two teams could get out ahead. Vanessa and Ralph caught on to this, so Ralph kept Kerri from leaving his aisle, letting all of the other passengers off the plane first. That still let Brenchell get out ahead, but kept the cousins from doing so, which pissed them off. Vanessa and Ralph didn't catch up to Brenchell until the watermelon task, which is when Vanessa started acting all bitchy and started talking about "blocking out" Brendon and Rachell. A ridiculous and immature over-reaction to the airplane shenanigans, but not exactly unprovoked.

There's really a lot of disgusting teams this season. I'm left to root for Bopper and Mark by default, but with Bopper's bad knee and Mark's apparent up-coming collapse, I'm not hopeful. When does TAR 21 start?

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

It apparently started on the plane before that leg when the BB team were telling people to block in Vanessa & Ralph so they couldn't get off the plane (and telling the Mississippi cousins that Vanessa and Ralph had been slagging them off, while having difficulty with coming up with any examples of what they were actually supposed to have said), hence Vanessa trying to get Ralph to block the BB team in during the watermelon task to get their own back.

If Vanessa's a bully, then so is Rachel.

ETA: SirDigbyPollo beat me to it.

Edited by Pooki, Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:12 AM.

revmatty

revmatty

Couch Potato

• Interests:TAR

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

@FrogsRule Mmmm, African wildlife footage! The visuals of the places the teams visit are a major reason (perhaps THE major reason) I watch the show.

Edited by revmatty, Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:34 AM.

starrynight71

starrynight71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

I watch it for the cast, my favourite seasons have big or interesting characters for me.

Mountain Mama

Mountain Mama

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

I kind of want to see Brendon and Ralph racing together.

Africa looks sooooo amazing. I was blown away.

Rachel and Dave remind me of my parents. That is NOT a good thing. :(

Go Kentucky!!!!

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

Now, what has mostly been forgotten except for those who do remember the old days of TAR, back to TAR 5 that is, yes the season with Colin of the Texas Extreme team - Mto wa Mbu was one of the destinations back then

Just a heads up if you're not aware: TAR 5 and TAR 6 are being released on DVD on April 24th.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

revmatty, and wasn't it amazing how even the nastiest teams (except for BP) switched the game off and revelled in the beauty all around them?

Those extra clips reminded me why I like TAR; made me wish that TPTB understood the power of that sort of thing and focused more on it and less on airport squabbling; and, caused me to take a deep breath and contemplate how wonderful this planet is.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Those extra clips reminded me why I like TAR; made me wish that TPTB understood the power of that sort of thing and focused more on it and less on airport squabbling; and, caused me to take a deep breath and contemplate how wonderful this planet is.

But that's the last thing TV producers want. That kind of thinking might prompt one to turn off the TV and go outside!

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

Very late to the parade, but I loved that about half the teams used the Simpson's space alien pronunciation of Clinton: Kleen-Tonnnn

Nary and Jamie just never had any hustle. They were working on the bikes when Vanessa and Ralph left to do the water task. If they'd hurried through that, they could have left for the speedbump well ahead of the other team. Instead, it looks like they took their time and ended up leaving after V&R.

BrookeM

BrookeM

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Very late to the parade, but I loved that about half the teams used the Simpson's space alien pronunciation of Clinton: Kleen-Tonnnn

The sign they were looking for was actually written as Hillary Clington.

Right? That's how I remember it.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

The sign they were looking for was actually written as Hillary Clington.

Right? That's how I remember it.

Right. It was definitely spelled Clington rather than Clinton.

funkgirl386

funkgirl386

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

I still think the application of the Speed Bump in a leg where it was difficult to make up time due to the lack of any kind of bunching really sucked for Nary and Jamie. Granted, they dug themselves a hole last leg, but the inconsistent placement of the NELs and Speed Bump bothers me. It does seem like it should be more consistent (NEL followed by bunching followed by ten minute speed bump vs. zero chance to catch up).

I do agree with the idea that the placement of the Speed Bump should be more consistent. However, in the specific case of last week's episode, I really don't think that the producers could have anticipated that it would be so hard for Nary and Jamie to catch up. In a leg with a misleading detour, which made it likely for teams to either accidentally pick the longer side of the detour or bald snark, and with a double U-turn, I don't think it was unreasonable for the producers to assume that the team that had to perform the speed bump would have a fighting chance. Add that to the fact that Nary and Jamie are notoriously slow, and you've got a situation that no one could have anticipated. Presumably, a better team would have needed a lot less time to complete the bike detour AND the speed bump.. I don't know if it was just the editing, but it feels like it took N/J a really long time to finish the detour, way longer than any other team. So, although this leg's design certainly sucked from an entertainment standpoint (I did love the drive through the crater though!), I don't see how anyone looking at it beforehand could have predicted that it wouldn't be fair to whichever team would have to perform the speed bump. In terms of opportunities to catch up, the double U-turn, the detour and the presumably fairly short speed bump should have been enough, had N/J not fallen so far behind.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

It was definitely spelled Clington rather than Clinton.

But the G was painted over on the actual sign. I think the incorrect spelling was on the clue.

dimo

dimo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

When it comes to "You are the last team to arrive, however this is a non-elimationation bla bla bla" How arbitrary is that? Seems like a decision that is based on fan favorites plus RATINGS. I call bull shit on this phony "RATINGS-SCHEME"!

revmatty

revmatty

Couch Potato

• Interests:TAR

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

@dimo: Neither the fan favorites nor the ratings are known when the show is filmed. The race was finished before the first episode aired.

starrynight71

starrynight71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

We hardly saw anything of Nary and Jamie at the bicycles, so it's complete guesswork as to whether they struggled at it or not. They said they didn't.