The Season 11 Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

When you want to discuss more than the current episode, please post here.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

I love the new themes. It would appear Nigel has finally awakened to the smell of coffee. I hope it continues, not just this season but into next season. Singing one "theme" song and one song of choice is exactly the right way to go. Earlier in the season next season when there is only one performance each week alternating theme weeks with either "you pick" "this decade" or "#1 hits" will work. I like the theme weeks and always have - especially ones like Queen, Big Band (sigh, may it RIP), Andrew Lloyd Weber, even particular artists if they're people like Rod Stewart or Dolly Parton. But I also want to hear what this contestant would choose left to his/her own devices and I want to hear current music. This way we get both. I'm good with that.

gradtg

gradtg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

I totally agree, sidalee, and I was just thinking about it myself. I especially like it on weeks where they do two songs. I like the restrictive themes like a single artist because that has given us some really great performances and have often turned out to be really good nights. But I also want newer music, songs that haven't been done on the show before. Plus the wide open themes really allow us to see what kind of artist the contestant wants to be.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I agree that the theme/singer's choice format is an improvement. It feels fairer, and it gives us an idea of where the contestants want to go after the show is over. Kudos to Nigel.

But I really miss having a "Standards" night, whether it's Big Band, Rat Pack, Frank Sinatra, or Andrew Lloyd Webber. It usually takes the singers way out of their comfort zones, and let's us see whether they can handle the classics.

I have a pet peeve this season. Even though the production values have gone up a bazillion times from past seasons, the staging is boring me. How many freaking times have we had girls sitting on pianos this year?