13-16: 2012.04.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

264 replies to this topic

fiadnaita

fiadnaita

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

This crappy season brought me out of lurking. It's a major problem when the most likeable character of the whole season is Jeff from NBC legal. In fact, I think that NBC should give him his own show in which every week he explains a basic concept to some simpleton. This week: Jeremy learns about contracts. Next week: Teaching Jessica Simpson how to use fractions. Comedy gold!

Anyone remember the Maurice and Gary odd couple from season 1? Bring back people like them, and we will start to watch the show again. It's that simple, NBC.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Jeremy, you made yourself look stupid. Stop blaming everyone else for it.

I seriously doubt you read the entire contract and if you did you probably had absolutely no clue what was in it. All you saw was dollar signs and your five minutes of fame.

And that goes for Conda, Kim, Buddy and Mark.

Edited by bigskygirl, Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:25 AM.

Vexer

Vexer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Wow. That interview did Jeremy no favors. He now just looks like an even bigger idiot. I wish they had quit the first day - they are both weak, whiny, nasty people. And to keep his stand of how they "deserve" to be there while others don't? Still not sure how PepTits has got that straight in his head

Nightlark

Nightlark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

In fact, I think that NBC should give him his own show in which every week he explains a basic concept to some simpleton. This week: Jeremy learns about contracts. Next week: Teaching Jessica Simpson how to use fractions. Comedy gold!

Love this! I would watch that show. And also, yes pay a lawyer to read that contract before you sign.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

It's a major problem when the most likeable character of the whole season is Jeff from NBC legal.

But don't you see a whole new field opening for product placements? 1-800-Call Jeff.

And Potes, I'm so used to seeing contestants hanging onto trainers, and trainers in their faces, that I missed it too.
Love your recaps!

Edited by lu1wml, Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:57 AM.

flingle

flingle

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

I don't usually watch this show but occasionally read the TWOP recaps. I started watching this season because I thought there was no way these characters could be nearly as bad as they are portrayed. Boy was I wrong! I have no basis for comparison, but I am amazed at the level of entitlement, arrogance and lack of self-awareness, particularly on the part of Conda (Kim I am meh on and Jeremy I think is being controlled more than anything).

Also, it seems like Kim has lost a significant amount of weight, but not Conda or Jeremy. Is it typical to have players last to the end of the game but not have a high proportion of weight loss? Or have they all lost similar percentages but Conda and Jeremy just don't look like it?

Oh, and PepTits - that name made me laugh out loud at work when I first read it.

QueenBee78

QueenBee78

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Buddy and Mark totally got played by the evil duo of Conda and Jeremy. In the beginning when they are sitting around the pool, Buddy made a comment about, "well I hope the 5 they bring back..." So I assume he thought all of them were leaving. I would have loved to have been in that van as they drove away realizing that the other 3 were staying. Mark, I don't think he really cared at this point---he is almost skeletal as it is. Which begs the question, why didn't he get eliminated and go for the at home prize? My guess is that he got wind of how Chism is doing jack squat at home and thought, WTF, I came here for HIM and he can't get away from his girlfriend and crappy garage band long enough to go to the gym?

I wish Allison or SOMEONE had said to Buddy and the other morons as they were whining about how unfair it was, and how they had worked so hard while the eliminated 14 got to be home with their families, "Yeah, if it is so f*7$%ng easy at home, why didn't you do this years ago? Why did you sit at home stuffing your face while you watched this show year after year? "

callmebetty

callmebetty

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

The only season I remember a contestant still looking overweight is when Michael was on, but that was because he started out at way over 500 lbs. But even he was still toned looking before he left the ranch.
Jeremy still stands stooped shoulder and has no arm muscle definition and neither does Conda.
Those articles did no favors to him. It just makes me crazy the use of the word Deserve they keep using as an excuse.

I wish Sami had just kept saying to all the contestants, No Excuses, No Excuses over and over, when she and the lawyer met with them.
I know the producers where thinking of no excuses in a positive vain when they came up with this concept but they cast people this season where it is ALL EXCUSES.

Mrs OldManBalls

Mrs OldManBalls

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

It's a major problem when the most likeable character of the whole season is Jeff from NBC legal.

The media needs to talk to Jeff and get his take on the contestants.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

What gives me hope is that Jeremy has enough sense to know he looked dumb. It's a small step, but it is growth. Now, if he can take it further and come to the realization that he actually is dumb? Well, he would be a genius in my mind.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

So glad they cut past the crap and went straight to the walkout.

I'm in progress of watching it now, only a few minutes in so far. But it occurs to me (unless its revealed later in the episode) that by going straight to the walkout, without any kind of opening (maybe not "previouslies" but SOMETHING), one thing we don't know is who's idea this all was. The idea didn't magically pop into all five of their heads at once. Someone was the ringleader (and I'm NOT assuming it has to be the ones who decided to go vs. the ones who stayed).

My bet is still on Conda. She poisons everything she's near.

It pains me that Conda or her stupid brother are likely to win this show, simply based on the fact that they clearly have the most weight to lose. I don't care how hard the show tries to sell them as changed people, or misunderstood, or redeemed... if either of them win its the nail in the coffin for the franchise. Hopefully one of the returnees somehow wins, because even Kim wouldn't do it for me now.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:05 PM.

bendercat

bendercat

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Also, it seems like Kim has lost a significant amount of weight, but not Conda or Jeremy. Is it typical to have players last to the end of the game but not have a high proportion of weight loss? Or have they all lost similar percentages but Conda and Jeremy just don't look like it?

It doesn't matter how the players get to the end. When there's a vote and alliances have formed, anyone, no matter what they did or didn't lose, can go on to the next week. When they have a "red line", there isn't a vote (this doesn't happen too often). Also, throw in contestants getting immunity some weeks. There are a number of factors when a player can't be voted off. With all this, Conda and Jeremy who still look overweight have gotten this far.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

With all this, Conda and Jeremy who still look overweight have gotten this far.

Gasp!

You mean they might not [Conda Mode On] "deserve it the most" [/Conda Mode Off]?

randomname1

randomname1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

NY Post Article

Interesting article with more from a producer:

From Todd Lubin--

“We struggled in the editing [process] because I still didn’t understand what they were doing or what they were talking about,” he says. “The truth is, I think those five [contestants] did a really great job of getting to that place and they weren’t happy with the fact they couldn’t control the ending.

“There’s something to that,” he says. “I felt they made one good point: We should have been clear from the beginning [about the returning-contestants twist]. We did that last season, on Day One, but this season it was only implied and then happened so late in the game.

Lubin says Shuh and Cornelison “don’t regret” their decision to leave.

“They’re still trying to justify it,” he says. “Buddy [Shuh] had a real shot at a quarter-million dollars and really needed the money. This is a five-month show and enables [the contestants] to talk to their families, who report back what people are saying. Buddy and Mark are both preachers and have to be careful with their image.

Your image is ruined guys. You didn't act like men of God, you played in an alliance of nasty people, and folks have now seen your true colors.

Special Kay

Special Kay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Shouldn't it be: "they are preachers and have to be careful about their behavior"?

Edited by Special Kay, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:16 PM.

randomname1

randomname1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

OMG--you are SO right! ROTFLMAO!

dvrsavedtv

dvrsavedtv

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

I hope people in Mark and Buddy's churches start leaving after seeing what kind of men they are. I know I would, and I would make it known why. No amount of editing could make them look that bad. They did all on their own.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

If ignorance was bliss, then they are the most blissful people on the planet.

Stupidity is not a crime so you are free to go.

The one producer hit it on the head-the nitwit five could not control the game so they threw a hissy fit.

You could have hired a marching band, sent them a singing telegram, had them listen to a tape recording while they slept at night stating that the home contestants could/would come back, had Jeff the lawyer go over word in the contract, brought it up during the workouts, challenges, temptations and even had quack Dr. H. talk to them and they still would have miss the point.

Edited by bigskygirl, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:54 PM.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

I'd like to know the definition of "pastor" in their religious community. In some congregations it's a person with an actual divinity degree/seminary training who preaches to a congregation. In their case I wonder if it's just a courtesy term they give the guys who volunteer to pick up the folding chairs and sweep up after the afternoon teen prayer group.

callmebetty

callmebetty

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

They should have known in week 5 when they brought back Adrian and Daphne for the chance to come back, that this bunch was never, ever going to be a welcoming back bunch. They acted despicable and selfish with that twist, did they really think they could have handled anything like that on a bigger scale with more grace? Ha!

jj17

jj17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

If anyone hasn't seen the "Tough Mudder" clip, there is a funny part with Conda "jumping". It's a little after the 5 min mark. Here's another site for the clip (I was having issues with the NBS Site).

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

The one producer hit it on the head-the nitwit five could not control the game so they threw a hissy fit.

Exactly. All 5 contestants disgust me...but PepTits & Condonothing are the worst. I laughed when Conda started whine-crying. Guess Conda just realized she won't win ANY money, that's what the whinging was all about.

batmanager

batmanager

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

I hope people in Mark and Buddy's churches start leaving after seeing what kind of men they are. I know I would, and I would make it known why. No amount of editing could make them look that bad. They did all on their own.

They will give a testimonial of sorts about how they were edited that way and then admonish the congregation to not believe what they consider "false witnesses." A lot of condemnation will be heaped and people will have to choose between not only a member of their church but someone in leadership over a secular TV program.

The peer pressure/group think will be enormous and an extreme majority will simply nod their heads in agreement that the show is terrible. Moreover, many will willingly believe they were specifically targeted for their faith. It is an easy sell and nary a thought will be given to how hollow all the righteous indignation is when they all willingly went on a reality TV show.

Both will then use their fame and probably support the show afterwards and not be called out as hypocrites because they’ll couch it as taking the “higher road” and being a witness rather than fall into petty squabbles with the secular media.

They’ll be praised just like the Brits will get unanimous support from their family.

One thing I don’t understand is why the new production company allowed them to stay in touch with families this season. Mark’s comment to Jeremy, Chris’ meltdown, and the pastor’s image issues all seemed a direct result. Hopefully the producers are learning some valuable lessons because this entire season has been mostly a failure.

They started poorly by separating the couples and continued each week with terribly thought out themes that often actually proved the excuse they were supposed to be disproving. Again, I hope they learn what not to do for future seasons as I’ve only kept watching for the train-wreck value.

Edited by batmanager, Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:54 PM.

rhonde

rhonde

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

queenbee - I wish Allison or SOMEONE had said to Buddy and the other morons as they were whining about how unfair it was, and how they had worked so hard while the eliminated 14 got to be home with their families, "Yeah, if it is so f*7$%ng easy at home, why didn't you do this years ago? Why did you sit at home stuffing your face while you watched this show year after year? "

Maybe Allison should have threatened to punch them in the throat like she did Irene. http://www.phillybur...19bb30f31a.html

the boxer

the boxer

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

What bothers me most about Mark is the hypocracy. If bringing back eliminated contestants was so unfair to the final five, then why has he allowed Chism to be among those returnees? Does Mark's not being there anymore make it fair now? If Mark were a man of his word, Chism would have stayed home.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Shouldn't it be: "they are preachers and have to be careful about their behavior"?

Indeed it SHOULD be.

That said, Todd Lubin using "image" might be more correct in relation to these guys' actual priorities.

-----------

BTW, that Mudder Challenge? I laughed my ass off at how it was clearly Conda and Jeremy
Spoiler

If that was about total fitness, Kim
Spoiler
I do hate that she and Olivia did all that talking about the dreaded "J" word. Ick.

TelevisionMary

TelevisionMary

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

When I viewed Mark's facebook this week, everyone (that he did not delete) were in support and such like "Oh we support you and understand and love you for doing what you felt best" kind of stuff. And then there will be his church people who will look at him as just another "sinner" (aka person with faults just like everyone else). So, no, I do not think his church friends will shun him. Unfortunately. They will just say "oh just take it to the Lord in prayer" blah blah blah. In other words, they will get a pass. Worse, they probably will be applauded for standing up for "what is right" and "what you did for the Lord"

As for me, PUKE!!!!

Special Kay

Special Kay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

I'm surprised God is able to be so involved with this season of The Biggest Loser. I'd think he'd still have a hangover after all the god-bothering by Coach's team last season of Survivor. Between all the reality shows, how does God keep up?!

TelevisionMary

TelevisionMary

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Let's see other highlihgts of this episode - Conda's spanx and Peppi's nips, Kim's haggardy look, Bob acknowledging that anaconda has been the most hated this season (wonder where he found that out ;); Bob turning anaconda into a plow-horse by making her wear a harness while pulling that car (however, his lame comments about how she has turned into a WOMAN hahaa... she is still a child ;) ... one of the 14 come-backers in a yellow outfit with a strange look on her face saying "We're baaaaaAAAAaaaack" hehe;

And where is Dr Hair all season? And the yellow lines have hardly made an appearance all season; Kim and Dolvet hugging at the weigh-in looking pretty much like a couple (I would love to hear about that); anaconda's squeal like a pig on the big scale and alleged crying at the unfairness of it all that her idiot brother lost and then a wierd next shot of her morphing from her no-tears fake crying morphing into just staring as usual with no appearance that 2 seconds ago she was crying her eyes out for her idiot brother. (If you have the ability to rewatch that, it looks like she is morphing, sorta strange!); Oh also, when they showed her idiot brother - I think it was on that scene where they were watching the review of the 3 of them in that theater, the idiot's eyes looked like they were going cross eyed when he was doing some type of rowing exercise or that exercise with flinging the big ropes up and down, watch his crazy eyes.

And also, I do notice like someone previous to my post said the idiot's posture is still slump shouldered, what causes that? I notice that too, that he stands like a caveman.

And finally, if they are weighed in sooner than the fake scale we see at the "weigh in" why do the men need to remove their shirts, to make it appear like they are gonna weigh .25% less weight by removing it, but that's not really the scale that is weighing them? Why do they do this?

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Favorite part of the episode? The lawyer's smackdown of Jeremy where you could hear the "you moron" implied in his tone. Bob being like "Have they ever watched the show?" was also pretty good.

The lawyer made it clear that this season's twist is different from past seasons. The producers were probably counting on the contestants having watched the show enough that they wouldn't look too closely at the contract and would be surprised when the twist came, although it looked like that provision was pretty well buried just in case.

I don't think the contract specified when the twist would occur, but waiting until "the one yard line" was stupid. Besides the "fairness" issue (and I can see the contestants' point), it makes a mockery of the ranch and the trainers. If Bob and Dolvett weren't so into playing drill sergeants they might have felt insulted.

Any chance the walkout was staged? Producers see a couple of contestants ready to give up, one of whom may not be medically certified for what's coming, and orchestrate a little drama. I think Jeremy and Conda, at least, could have been counted on to not walk out for real.