Veep: Elaine Benes Is a Heartbeat Away from the Presidency!

• Please log in to reply

884 replies to this topic

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

The promos seem to show a character who's in over her head.

Here's the EW review:

http://www.ew.com/ew...0586100,00.html

Apparently created by a British film maker.

Also, apparently voted down on IMDB already (4.5 rating before it has aired) for political reasons.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

I watched a bunch of background info on this show on my HBO OnDemand service, pretty good cast. I'll watch anything with Tony Hale in it and Anna Chumsky(I think that's how you spell it) got seriously hot. I'm not suprised by peoples reactions as it'll probably be perceived as "What if Sarah Palin had become VP". But from what I saw, and interviews with producers and cast seems to confirm it, the difference is that JLD's character is actually fairly competent. Personally, I laughed some but it wasn't laugh until you have tears-running-down-your-cheeks funny like Girls looks to be. Still I'll be tuning in

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Personally, I laughed some but it wasn't laugh until you have tears-running-down-your-cheeks funny like Girls looks to be.

Alan Sepinwall seemed to indicate it's the opposite. Veep is more a straight forward funny sitcom while Girls is more like Louie (sometimes funny, sometimes not but really amazing.) I'm looking forward to both for different reasons.

I can see why people would think this is some sort of Palin inspired sitcom but from what I understand, it's actually the American adaptation of the UK's The Thick of It which is the series that predates In The Loop. And I loved that series which is why I'm anxiously looking forward to this. Plus, I love JLD.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Obsessively excited. Seinfeld AND New Christine fan here. Would have been totally happy if both of those shows had doubled their number of seasons.

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:51 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Alan Sepinwall seemed to indicate it's the opposite. Veep is more a straight forward funny sitcom while Girls is more like Louie (sometimes funny, sometimes not but really amazing.)

I can see that being the intention, in interviews it's obvious the cast of Veep were allowed to improvise a lot and as I said before the cast is great. However comedy is subjective and personally from the parts of the two shows that I saw Girls seems funnier. That said I look forward to watching both shows.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

Oh sweet, Matt Walsh is in this too. He's great.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

However comedy is subjective and personally from the parts of the two shows that I saw Girls seems funnier.

That is true and I didn't mean to imply that if someone found Girls more laugh out loud funny than Veep that they'd be watching the shows wrong, I just wanted to offer up how someone who has seen both shows described them.

At this point, they definitely make up one of my more anticipated hours of TV.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

You wonder if most of the Game of Thrones audience will stick around for Veep and Girls. I will watch all 3 shows but I watch just about every HBO show.

Maybe some of the Game of Thrones viewers are partial to sword and sorcery material only.

BTW, created a Girls thread in the Dramas forum:

http://forums.televi...

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

ARGH! More shows that I want to watch scheduled on Sunday night. If I'm not able to DVR this and Girls, I can either watch online or just record them at a different time or on different day. Anyway, Veep looks good to me. I didn't see The Thick of It, but I did see In the Loop, and that was great. And JLD is just so good in everything.

You wonder if most of the Game of Thrones audience will stick around for Veep and Girls.

I think there'll be a significant drop-off.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

You wonder if most of the Game of Thrones audience will stick around for Veep and Girls.

I think there'll be a significant drop-off

I think having to go up against Mad Men will have more to do with a ratings drop than anything else. Fortunately they're on premium cable so the need for ratings isn't as great.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

That's true. Enlightened was renewed, and I think about 17 people watched it. :D

BTW, what was HBO's Sunday night lineup previously?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

Most recently Luck/Life's Too Short/Eastbound & Down

Edited by braggtastic, Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:16 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

HBO canceled Luck after a third horse died on their set.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Luck was expensive and didn't get good ratings and then they were getting PETA controversy. Seems like HBO has a lot of shows in their pipeline so they will pull the hook.

I'm sure they'd be happy if a show lasts several seasons with good DVD sales. Little sitcoms like these shouldn't cost that much to produce but a big name like JLD may raise the costs of the show.

Guessing that may be why Eastbound and Down is ending, because McBride, Ferrel and co. want more money or else they will make movies instead.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Luck finished its first season; I believe they were filming season two when the most recent accident happened. At any rate, there is always a rotating group of series for Sunday nights. Why they don't really program for other nights, I have no idea. It's true there is Bill Maher most Fridays & starting this week Ricky Gervais' animated show joins the line up, but beyond that, it's only Sundays. If it wasn't for the on demand and many repeats, I wouldn't be able to watch most HBO shows because there are conflicts on broadcast channels that don't repeat. Same goes for Showtime.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

I am excited for this show. It looks really funny and strangely I think it would be great to watch it back to back with Parks & Recreation.

That's true. Enlightened was renewed, and I think about 17 people watched it. :D

I cannot wait for Enlightened to return. Thank God HBO renewed it.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

HBO did try to expand to Monday nights a few years ago and ratings didn't fare well. It was with some established series too, like maybe Big Love.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

HBO also moved Six Feet Under to Mondays for part of a season but realized it was a huge mistake and switched it back.
Saw the "making of Veep" featurette and am looking forward to it....as well as the return of Enlightened.

Edited by Fisher King, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:22 PM.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Enlightened got a bit of a pass partly because it aired on Mondays.

But Bored to Death did not, even though Monday may have hurt its ratings.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Just a reminder that the series premiere is this Sunday at 10.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I'm anticipating this show with great enthusiasm. JLD is the queen of dry wit. She'll be perfect. I hope the writing is up to snuff. Is Larry David producing?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

No, Larry David has nothing to do with the show.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

That's a shame. His presence guarantees some good quality.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

That's a shame. His presence guarantees some good quality.

I think it'll be okay. You know who else has tended to deliver good quality in every project he has been involved with? Armando Iannucci, the creator Veep. He may not be well known in the US but he has been behind some of the best sitcoms in the UK.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

I'm watching the 'Making Of' special for the show on Demand. Awesome. See it if you can. I didn't know Anna Chlumsky was part of this show. She's grown into a smart & funny actress. Can't wait for tonight!

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Great piece on Armando Iannucci and VEEP, from the New Yorker. I'm going to have to steal the "Come in" line! Also, he has a "swearing consultant." That has to be a great job.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I'll give the premiere a 6 out of 10 for originality. Didn't laugh much.

BeneGesserit

BeneGesserit

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

I think there'll be a significant drop-off

Actually, given the drama and intense nature of GoT, this is a nice way to relax and laugh again. Mad Men can wait till Monday.

dustdevil

dustdevil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

I really enjoyed it. I know that for some people, "West Wing" is an aspirational view of politics and government, but this is how I'd like to imagine the inner workings of high level politics. I loved that Amy and Mike totally saw right through the Senator's conniving aide, and how everyone gave Jonah crap.
Plus, so much delightful cursing.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I loved the show except for the use of the word retard. I think that word should be retired along with other offensive words that describe a group of people.