Girls: Voice of Her Generation

• Please log in to reply

2916 replies to this topic

grumpygoddess

grumpygoddess

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

I liked it. I can relate. My mum gave me her car so I could learn to drive when I was 23. Yeah, that might sound pathetic, but so what? I'm a spoilt only child as well.

I think the characters seem interesting, and I know people like them. I loved the line that the opium guy used about Hannah sounding like the girl from 'Clueless', and his new girlfriend asking, 'Which one, the movie or TV series?' Heh.

I can't believe the British girl's cousin is the daughter of David Mamet. Wow. Love 'Oleanna.'

Edited by grumpygoddess, Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:16 PM.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Girls isn't positioning itself to deliver howling laughs like East Bound and Down or Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Probably not going to be as raucous as Veep either.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

I liked the scenes with the parents best. (Freaks and Geeks Mom, yay!)

Hated that she took the maid's tip.

annonshay

annonshay

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I thought the pilot was entertaining, although it was sort of trying too hard to be quirky. I plan on checking out the next episode, at least. Allison Williams is stunning...she reminds me of a young Ione Skye.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Watched the pilot and waffled between morbid curiousity and finding it obnoxious and irritating (for all of the problems others have already listed - I don't need to rehash it less eloquently).

I really liked Zosia Mamet on "Mad Men" and was surprised at how weak she was in this but then again, it was only the pilot. The character seems very forced and very meta - perhaps included to offset any SATC comparisons (which this show clearly isn't).

I'm finding the Lena Dunham character incredibly difficult to watch (I think she's a bad actress but then again, I'm not a fan of the mumblecore/whatever that style is that she comes from); I think she's terribly unattractive and I don't mean that physically - I mean her character is awful. Reminds me of the lead from Grey's Anatomy who I found irritating and couldn't watch as the show was from her POV. I wish Dunham wasn't so narcissistic to cast herself as the lead but this show is CLEARLY a vanity project.

I bypassed all of the hype, I'm lucky to say, and just started reading the ridiculously overpraised reviews (and conversely, the overly critical ones). It's simply not good enough to hate THAT much but I am finding the show unlikeable (and I do love me some Curb Your Enthusiasm).

That.

Went in knowing nothing about the show, aside from Dunham's interviews on Craig & Conan, and mostly disliked it. Neither funny nor really interesting to me, and the characters are mostly unlikable so far.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

There are a lot of half-hours out there about young twentysomethings in the big city trying to figure out who they are, and compared to the others I think the first episode of this one did a poor job of introducing us to the characters. I'd say it ranks even below I Just Want My Pants Back.

onefineday

onefineday

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I really liked it (and, after all the hype, I expected to hate it). I thought it was well written, really funny and it seemed clear to me that Hannah is not intended to be a likeable character. Between the scene with her parents, apologizing almost the entire time she's having sex with her FB for not wanting to have that kind of sex, and stealing the maid's tip, the show seemed pretty intent on making her as unlikable as possible. But, I thought it was all pretty funny and given how humiliating the sex scene was did find myself, not exactly rooting for her, but hoping part of the season's arc deals with her developing some self esteem with men.

As for the other characters, it was too hard to get much of a read on any of them, but, so far, I found Jessa very annoying, and Zosia Mamet really convincing and amusing in her role, although I'm wondering how her character's going to fit in with this group.

anyanka323

anyanka323

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

b) Kids whose income is being supplemented by their parents and seem to look at the world in two ways: 1) I am a success because I have a college degree and am working in my ideal position straight out of college. or 2) I am a failure because I have a college degree, cannot get hired in my field, and my only other option is to work at McDonald's (even though that's painfully untrue).

I can relate to this because I can see where Hannah is coming from. Yes, she's a spoiled girl who needs to grow up and find an actual paying job while working on the book in her spare time. But when you have paying jobs, you don't have much spare time to write the next great American novel/memoir or pursue your dreams. You are exhausted and don't have time to pursue to the dream. It's kind of a sad reality check when your excitement on your day off is sleeping in until 8 am, doing laundry and other chores that piled up during the time between days off, and maybe getting some groceries. That's what being a grown up means - having to balance the reality of your existence with your aspirations. I hope that the show addresses that as Hannah slowly adjusts to the reality of adulthood without her parents' financial support.

The depiction of her internship felt real in how the boss was taking advantage of these naive, ambitious young women without even paying them for their time and effort they put into his business. The sad part was that there were multiple people who would gladly take her place just to have something on their resume.

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

I really liked Zosia Mamet on "Mad Men" and was surprised at how weak she was in this but then again, it was only the pilot.

At the same time she played an adult character on "Mad Men," she was playing a high school kid on "Parenthood," and now this new character. I think she's convincing and her acting skills are very good. Most actors do the best with the material and direction given.

I recognized at least two other actors from "Tiny Furniture," the parts of Ray and Jessa.

FreeperDave

FreeperDave

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Pretty depressing mood for a pilot.

I think the only laugh I got was when here f-buddy told her "let's play the quiet game" while they were having sex.

I'll give it another go, but it needs to improve.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

He's clearly her fuck buddy and Hannah wants more.

Why? He's physically hideous and not very bright.

Programs like this make me feel alternately sorry for and disgusted with twentysomethings. I think 30 minutes may have been enough for me.

Edited by Inquisitionist, Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:32 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Let me clarify an earlier post, I'm not saying I like shows where the characters are unlikable. What I'm saying is to me there is a difference between likable and entertaining and interesting. As I've said before I didn't find the characters of Seinfeldto be likable but they were interesting and entertaining so I watched. On the other hand I liked the characters of How to make it in America but the only storyline that was interesting was the one with Luis Guizman's character and there was far too little of it for me to want to continue to watch the show. I haven't yet decided if I like the characters of Girls or not but I do find them interesting and entertaining.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I thought the money was left for her but that makes more sense. As far as he taking the tip in a perfect world ie. one where her parents were still supporting her, I doubt Hannah would've taken it but when you're desperate you do things you wouldn't normally do.

The depiction of her internship felt real in how the boss was taking advantage of these naive, ambitious young women

I once read a employment expert say people should never take internships for the reason we saw. Yes, sometimes it turns into a real job but most times you just end up wasting a lot of time and energy working for someone for free. And instead of eventually paying you they'll replace you with someone else who thinks working a free internship will lead somewhere.

He's clearly her fuck buddy and Hannah wants more.

Why? He's physically hideous and not very bright

Well looks are subjective, but beyond that he's probably the first guy to really pay her any attention. And she's obviously unhappy with her size but he's perfectly fine with it. Not only did he say so in the pilot but in an upcoming episode
Spoiler

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I thought the money was left for her but that makes more sense. As far as he taking the tip in a perfect world ie. one where her parents were still supporting her, I doubt Hannah would've taken it but when you're desperate you do things you wouldn't normally do.

I was a bit confused by this scene too, but I think what happened is that there were two envelopes, one for Hannah and one for the maid. She took both.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Well looks are subjective, but beyond that he's probably the first guy to really pay her any attention. And she's obviously unhappy with her size but he's perfectly fine with it.

I didn't get that from him - saying "You're not even that fat anymore" isn't a compliment in my book. If he'd said "You looked great before and you look great now," then I'd think he didn't care about her size. To me he seems completely uninterested in her across the board. Like he likes her OK, thinks she looks OK, will have the occasional conversation with her (but not about anything particularly substantive), sex with her is better than not having sex at all ... but if she were to cut off contact without announcing that she was doing so (like if she just stopped texting and seeing him), he wouldn't notice or care.

Yes, sometimes it turns into a real job but most times you just end up wasting a lot of time and energy working for someone for free. And instead of eventually paying you they'll replace you with someone else who thinks working a free internship will lead somewhere.

I staunchly oppose unpaid internships - what the guy had Hannah doing (and what many many many companies have done and continue to do) is actually illegal, although it's the rare person who chooses to take action. If you're not paying interns, the work they do technically can't bring any value to the company; if Hannah was reading the slush pile, she was doing the work of an editorial assistant, which is a salaried entry-level position at publishing houses.

It also continues to create an unfair advantage for people who have support from elsewhere like Hannah - no landlord or utility company will accept "work experience" as payment, so the people who can afford to take these internships are the people who don't actually have to support themselves. Hannah obviously didn't think anything of working for free for two years (!) because she didn't have to, when other people who are just as qualified to do the work she's doing don't have the luxury of working for free. (I think it's insane that she didn't even ASK about getting paid for two years, and wasn't going to until her circumstances demanded it. Sorry, but even if you're trying to build experience, after six months you should at least be asking about a check. I cannot imagine not wanting to earn money.)

I was a bit confused by this scene too, but I think what happened is that there were two envelopes, one for Hannah and one for the maid. She took both.

Yep, this is what happened - there was $20 in each envelope and Hannah took hers, opened the maid's envelope, and took the maid's $20. I also noticed that they left Hannah's "book" on the table (which was like 10 pages).

Edited by Empress1, Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:05 PM.

FreeperDave

FreeperDave

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Yes. One envelope marked "Hannah" and one marked "Housekeeping." There was a $20 bill in each. She took both bills.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

FWIW, Looks-wise I thought Adam resembled a more interesting looking version of Justin Long.

To me he seems completely uninterested in her across the board. Like he likes her OK, thinks she looks OK, will have the occasional conversation with her (but not about anything particularly substantive), sex with her is better than not having sex at all ... but if she were to cut off contact without announcing that she was doing so (like if she just stopped texting and seeing him), he wouldn't notice or care.

Cosign. If someone you're "dating" only really sees/talks to you when you physically show up at their place, then you need to break up with that person. If it's just someone you hook up with that's cool. Go get get some. If it's meant to be more serious than that? No. Although, I thought there was a smidgen of affection where they were talking on the couch when Adam mentioned his grandma helps him out. Not like, romantic/loving affection but I did see why those two could be friends. Y'know, if they cut out the sex . . . which I don't think will happen.

I did get a kick out of the fact that both Hannah and Marnie are trying to convince each other to leave their boyfriends.

Let me clarify an earlier post, I'm not saying I like shows where the characters are unlikable. What I'm saying is to me there is a difference between likable and entertaining and interesting. As I've said before I didn't find the characters of Seinfeld to be likable but they were interesting and entertaining so I watched.

That's how I feel. Throw in It's Always Sunny In Philedelphia (for me) as well. Both Seinfeld and Sunny have lead characters who are deeply self-absorbed awful human beings, but they entertain the hell out of me when ever I watch. More importantly, as awful as they are, I believed them as friends and I wanted to see what they were up to every week. That's how I'm feeling about this show. It's only been one episode, but I fully believe Hannah, Marnie, and Jessa* as friends. I don;t think the characters in Girls are awful people and I know they're not gonna get in to weird and/or sociopathic stuff like the other shows I mentioned, but I want to see what they are going to do on a weekly basis. And, I fully expect that they're gonna frustrate me a lot of the time.

FWIW, Looks-wise I thought Adam resembled a more interesting looking version of Justin Long

*I only left out Zoisa Mamet's character because we haven't seen her with anyone other than Jessa.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:50 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

I'm no advocate of sponging off the parents, but under the circumstances, cutting her off cold turkey without warning was more than a little harsh. I think it would have been fairer to say something like, " we're giving you 3 months", or " we're cutting the money 50% for the next couple of months and then stopping it completely".

Of course maybe they had discussed it in the past.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

(I think it's insane that she didn't even ASK about getting paid for two years

I thought she was with that particular publisher for a year.

Both Seinfeld and Sunny have lead characters who are deeply self-absorbed awful human beings, but they entertain the hell out of me when ever I watch. More importantly, as awful as they are, I believed them as friends and I wanted to see what they were up to every week. That's how I'm feeling about this show. It's only been one episode, but I fully believe Hannah, Marnie, and Jessa* as friends.

Yeah and IASIP is an even better example because that show is hilarious but those people are both psycho and sociopaths. Now someone on Girls needs to invent something as awesome as "Kitten Mittens".

I'm not seeing that Hannah had reached the point of desperation yet that would account for (in my mind) rationalization taking the maid's tip

She has no job or source of income to pay bills, buy food, etc. And I assume they're nearing the first of the month considering Marnie told Hannah that if she couldn't pay her half of that month's rent Marnie boyfrind would be moving in with them.

If anyone is curious, the ratings were solid. Sunday night's premiere got 1.1 million viewers but that was coming off of East bound and down's 1.6 million viewers for the night.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:17 PM.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I'm not seeing that Hannah had reached the point of desperation yet that would account for (in my mind) rationalization taking the maid's tip. At the risk of taking a sitcom too earnestly, I guess she's just clueless and spoiled from sucking at the parental teat too long. I'm rooting for life to figuratively kick this girl's ass a bit.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I thought there was more than a single $20 in Hannah's envelope, and one $20 in the housekeeping envelope. She definitely took all the money & I thought her taking the tip money was really low.

I also wondered about the sleeping arrangements. Did both parents sleep in the bed with her & managed to wake up, get dressed & pack without waking her? Did her father sleep on a couch or chair? I don't imagine they got a suite at the Warwick if they're concerned about finances, so I doubt there was a second bed in the room. Hannah was definitely sleeping in the main bed, with the phone right next to it on a nightstand. Can you check out of a hotel where there's still someone sleeping in your bed? Isn't there a Goldilocks rule or something?

I've been wanting to see Tiny Furniture ever since I heard about it, but the library still hasn't purchased it. I admire Lena Dunham for doing all she has done at such a young age. I wonder if she and Gaga hang out together. She's a perfectly pleasant looking person, but the sad fact is if she wasn't the writer/director/creator, no way would someone who looks like her get this role on an HBO series. Personally, I'm hoping it's a successful show & casting directors suddenly start searching for Lena Dunham types.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Anyone else think that English chick looks like a slightly slimmer version of Zoe in Nurse Jackie?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

I think both women are attractive(although I prefer zoe) but I'm not seeing the similarity between those two. That said, I agree the actress who plays Jessa does look like someone famous, I just can't remember who.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:45 PM.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I liked it enough to give it a chance. Clearly the characters aren't meant to be perfect, but flawed, sometimes painfully so. And the ripping on Sex & The City was hysterically meta and I'm glad they got it out of the way the first episode.

And while her parents are totally within their rights to cut her off she's also right to point out that if she feels spoiled and entitled (and she clearly does) that's their fault. She's the monster they created. If they'd done it when they were supposed to (college graduation) they wouldn't be going through this now and she'd be a different person.

I know hipster Brooklyn is actually that "white" at times (why you'd come to the most ethnically diverse place on earth and only want to be people who look like you is beyond me), but damn this is the pastiest cast I've seen outside of a Brit show.

Edited by KalEl, Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:57 PM.

LoganTheHuge

LoganTheHuge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

If anyone is curious, the ratings were solid. Sunday night's premiere got 1.1 million viewers but that was coming off of East bound and down's 1.6 million viewers for the night.

Not bad at all. But HBO's marketing/PR for this show was topnotch. They really promoted the crap out of it. HBO has a brilliant PR/marketing division (IMO, of course) and they know how to promote the shows they want to (I always got the sense that they didn't care too much about "How to make it in America" or the Jason Schwartzman show that I'm forgetting the name of). Those actresses were everywhere.

I can't imagine "Eastbound and Down" has the same audience as this one so I think those numbers are on the show's (and HBO's) own merits. Speaking of Eastbound, that is a show with truly excruciating characters (just like "It's Always Sunny") but like "Sunny" and "Seinfeld," their ugliness is played for big laughs. Totally different genre from "Girls." I don't think "Girls" is a comedy at all, even if it's in the sitcom category here and HBO played up the comedic moments in their trailers/commercials. And if "Girls" IS trying to be a comedy, it's failing miserably in my book.

RE: unpaid internships, it's a very common practice to work in the entertainment industry (specifically in film and TV). I did two unpaid internships (for college credit) but they both led to paid job offers because I worked my ass off. The entertainment industry gets away with it by offering college credit but some less reputable companies don't even offer that. Of course, the entertainment industry is also an industry where sexual harassment and verbal abuse are applauded and promoted, so maybe it's not the best example. :)

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Nice news about the ratings. One nice this about premium cable shows is that they account for repeat and OnDemand viewings in addition to the initial airing. I think they usually come out about a week after and episode airs. It'll be interesting to see how the show and VEEP do throughout their respective seasons. I thought choosing to air Girls after Eastbound and Down was odd considering the target demos are, like, polar opposites of one another.

Oh, and there was a poster who mentioned Allison Williams looked like Kate Middleton. AW wrote and costarred in a few videos for Funny or Die where she played KM. Heh.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:21 PM.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Yes. One envelope marked "Hannah" and one marked "Housekeeping." There was a $20 bill in each. She took both bills.

The really asinine thing is that she also left both empty envelopes for housekeeping to find and throw away. Way to make your parents look like non-tipping jackasses, Hannah.

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

She also left the maid's (empty envelope). Imagine being that maid--someone who actually works for a living--walking into that room and finding an empty envelope. Talk about a kick in the balls.

Lena Dunham's physical appearance reminded me of Danny Devito's Penguin in Batman Returns, and I'm afraid that's all I was able to think about when she was onscreen.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

it's a very common practice to work in the entertainment industry (specifically in film and TV

I know, I did one in TV. It was only for a semester though, not indefinite, and it wasn't full-time; I scheduled it around my classes. And it's common in media in general, although I worked for the biggest book publishing company in the world and interns there are paid. (I think some other interns sued Fox Searchlight.) Hannah's internship was obviously at a very small outfit (I think it was a literary agency), the type that would rely on interns to keep costs down. Doesn't mean it's not bullshit, though.

Lena Dunham's physical appearance reminded me of Danny Devito's Penguin in Batman Returns, and I'm afraid that's all I was able to think about when she was onscreen.]

Ha! And ouch. I'd describe her as average or plain. IMO she's the least attractive of the four, although I think she's frumpier on the show than IRL.

LoganTheHuge

LoganTheHuge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

Lena Dunham's physical appearance reminded me of Danny Devito's Penguin in Batman Returns, and I'm afraid that's all I was able to think about when she was onscreen.

LOL! Great, now that's all I'll think about during the sex scenes.

RE: Maid's tip - I thought that was a generous tip left by the parents! But then again, I stay in motels and have no idea what the standard tip is for maids.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

RE: Maid's tip - I thought that was a generous tip left by the parents!

Depends how long they were there, it seemed like a long weekend so $5-7 a day is about right, I'd say (for two people milked dry by their adult spawn and saving for a Lake House). I'm assuming they tipped cumulatively, I prefer to do it daily as sometimes the maids change. I just adore coming back to a hotel room and finding it tidy for my lazy ass self.

The really asinine thing is that she also left both empty envelopes for housekeeping to find and throw away.

Ugh! This imaginary tip finds more ways to aggravate me! Even worse, Housekeeping would know they had a tip by the envelope but that it was taken, no? Maybe. I don't know. I swear I'm going to have to drop $20 off in an envelope at the Warwick for Housekeeping.

Thus far I feel no protective sympatico feelings toward Hannah, but of course that could change and I could find myself rooting for her to shake down old ladies for food stamps.

Edited by ccridernyc, Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:53 PM.