Girls: Voice of Her Generation

• Please log in to reply

2915 replies to this topic

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

I can definitely believe that bringing up one's virginity prior to any sexy time would result in some guys shutting it down. However, that guy was face deep in lady bits and then just drops an "I'm not into virgins" and walks away. No effin' way. I don't know if I could be convinced that there are more than 50 men--especially 23-25 year-old men--on the planet that would walk away after getting that far, especially considering how attractive Shoshanna is. The entire scene was hilarious (Shoshanna starting to laugh as he was going down on her and then stopping herself), but that was ludicrous.

TMI Time! I was 20 and crawled out of a bed naked rather than be someone's first for the exact same reason, so it's not only plausible it's as realistic as it gets.

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

Princess Aldrea: I don't see how the pros outweigh the cons. Is he going to stop doing favors if they don't put up with groping? What is the benefit of tolerating it? And will he fire her if she complains? Hannah seems to be acting stupid here for no real reason.

I agree that this storyline is annoying & kind of stupid. I'm guessing that they want us to believe that Hannah is yielding to coworker/peer pressure. Also, it's possible that they want us to believe that Hannah decides, in the grand scheme of things, it may be easier to tolerate his groping than secure another paying job.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

In that case they should make it clearer that Hannah would lose her job if she said anything.

bundren

bundren

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

I don't think it's stupid at all. Being a woman in the workplace means having to deal with gross behavior often (even just inappropriate or sexist comments) and I'm interested in how other women--in reality or in fiction, like Girls, where it still seems realistic--handle it. Hannah certainly comes across as a woman who acts very situationally questionable a great deal of the time, so it wouldn't have seemed very in character of her to suddenly be, y'know, asking for respect of her body (from herself or others).

ETA: what I found unbelievable was Marnie's reaction to the song. So, your best friend's privacy was just violated and your boyfriend just purposely mortified the both of you and your response is to throw a drink on said best friend? Throw a drink? Really?

Edited by bundren, May 9, 2012 @ 6:50 PM.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

The less Marnie the better for me so far. I can't believe we see the vagina boyfriend hanging in the apt next week. If Marnie were crazy about him, maybe, but feeling as she does about him AND the diary song breach? I hope we see some big time anger at the guys from the girls and not just Marnie now finding his disinterest attractive and Hannah glibly looking for diary reviews. I'm losing patience in advance with their youthful stupidity.

Edited by ccridernyc, May 9, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

Zeubus97

Zeubus97

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

I think Shoshanna knows the group through her cousin, Jessa. I don't think they were friends prior to that, otherwise she would've introduced Hannah to "Baggage" long ago since she's so obsessed with it and Marnie would have known she was a virgin already. Presumably

Correct. Shoshanna is Jessa's younger cousin. Marnie and Hannah talk about knowing Jessa from college in the pilot episode, and it's heavily implied that they know Shoshanna only through Jessa.

No red-blooded guy is going to turn down sex in the moment because he's worried she might be clingy.

Nope, that definitely happened to me, pretty much exactly as it happened to Shoshanna. Dude was going down on me, was about to put it in, I admitted I was a virgin, he immediately stopped, although he was much nicer about it than Camp Buddy was. Definitely a boner killer though.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Shoshanna is Jessa's younger cousin. Marnie and Hannah talk about knowing Jessa from college in the pilot episode

That makes sense, but now I'm wondering where all Shoshanna's college friends are. I guess Jessa's staying with her now, but before that was she living in NYC alone as a college student?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

what I found unbelievable was Marnie's reaction to the song. So, your best friend's privacy was just violated and your boyfriend just purposely mortified the both of you and your response is to throw a drink on said best friend? Throw a drink? Really?

I agree with another poster that Marnie reacted the way she did because she was upset with herself but of course when that happens the natural reaction is to transfer your anger onto someone else. Also I will add that there's no way for Marnie to know they invaded Hannah's privacy. That didn't look like a diary to me but rather a journal and people tend not to hide those.

I guess Jessa's staying with her now, but before that was she living in NYC alone as a college student?

During the almost sex scene the guy said something about Long Island girls which left me with the impression that Shoshanna lives there and not in NYC.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, May 10, 2012 @ 11:32 AM.

Zeubus97

Zeubus97

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

During the almost sex scene the guy said something about Long Island girls which left me with the impression that Shoshanna lives there and not in NYC.

It was definitely stated in the pilot that Shoshanna lives in Nolita. I'm assuming Shoshanna's parents (presumably Long Island natives) are paying Shoshanna's rent since she told Jessa she's never had a job and her stuff is pretty swank. Plus Shoshanna is clearly pretty sheltered, I'm sure Mom and Dad keep her on a tight leash. It would also help to explain the lack of college friends ( Mom and Dad help paid for Shoshanna to live out of the dorms, and if you're kind of awkward and shy and you live "off-campus" it's really hard to make close friends), although Shoshanna did tell Jessa that she was the only one of her friends with a British cousin in the pilot, implying that does at least have a few people she talks to regularly.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Also I will add that there's no way for Marnie to know they invaded Hannah's privacy. That didn't look like a diary to me but rather a journal and people tend not to hide those.

The song is called "Hannah's Diary" and even if it was just her journal so Hannah didn't hide it, she still wouldn't have given it to the boyfriend so he was still invading her privacy even if she left it out on the kitchen table.

Zeubus97

Zeubus97

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

what I found unbelievable was Marnie's reaction to the song. So, your best friend's privacy was just violated and your boyfriend just purposely mortified the both of you and your response is to throw a drink on said best friend? Throw a drink? Really?

I thought it was the harshness of what Hannah wrote that upset Marnie, as well as the shock. While what Hannah wrote was accurate it wasn't very kind, and was written as practice for her funny stories. Since it's in her personal diary that's fine, and I hope that Marnie will apologize in the next episode. Plus she's probably afraid of confronting her boyfriend, because he just might leave her but Hannah is a more stable relationship. Marnie was wrong, but I could see why she would (mis)direct her anger at Hannah.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Since there's no separate media thread:

On the Adam Carolla podcast, they played an interview with Sarah Silverman and somehow they briefly discussed Girls. Sarah said the show was brilliant.

ETA: The context is that Sarah is in a movie in which she does a nude scene where her character and another woman are in the shower. They were pointing out that women do get nude in front of each other a lot, in non-sexual contexts.

So this is like the scene in Girls when Hannah was in the bathtub, talking to Marnie.

Edited by Scrb, May 10, 2012 @ 4:32 PM.

bundren

bundren

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

Yeah, yes, definitely Hannah's privacy was violated by those dudes going through her stuff, period. Again when they read her stuff, and again when they read her diary/journal to others at a gig (taking the time to write a song!) even reading directly from it. This is some purposely high dramatic behavior. I was not surprised that Marnie was angry/ashamed/reeling with REAL TALK after that stunt, or that she took it out on Hannah. I was shocked that a seemingly well-heeled snob of a woman would throw. a. drink. At all. Ever. Slapping would ring less false, even.

Camo

Camo

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I like each episode more than the last. I thought Marnie taking out her shock and anger on Hannah was pretty realistic -- I expect she'll come around and lay blame on her sadsack boyfriend and his evil fucking friend next week (read: I hope).

On that note, the casual betrayal of other people because they can, the utter selfishness and cuntish, self-pitying, show-offy immaturity shown by Marnie's boyfriend and his disgusting, desperately needs a beatdown with a steel pipe friend is a note-perfect depiction of a certain never-grow-up type in NYC. It is incumbent on every woman who wants to lead a life with a little joy to identify this loser early on, and to dump him immediately or keep him out via a filter. These guys are awful in their 20s and incredibly bitter from that point out.

Seriously, I want the friend who first grabbed Hannah's diary and said more than once that Marnie needed to be fucked to learn a lesson gets his -- bottle smashed on his head while waiting for the L, bottle smashed into his face while waiting for a Babycakes cupcake, bottle smashed into his groin while hanging out in McCarren Park as he gets drunk and gets into the Ironic Ethnic Slurs Shouted At Top Voice portion of the evening, etc., etc.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

Wow, I watched the first three episodes of this show and was seriously mad I wasted nearly an hour and a half on this rubbish, I don't like most of the actors, there is no character I care to learn more about, most of the comedy fell extremely flat and it was pretty boring to boot. I totally only checked it out because of all of the positive reviews I read but this is one show where I don't get the appeal. I get it with Mad Men, for example. A show I find really boring but I could understand why critics love it. I just shocked that this was so positively reviewed.

Edited by Stalkmylife82, May 13, 2012 @ 9:16 PM.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

I was very turned off to Adam at first, but I've sort of come to see what Hannah sees in him. Though it's painfully obvious he is the "Wrong Guy", I think the two actors have chemistry. They fit together like adorably ugly puzzle pieces.

Lena should absolutely frame and treasure that praise from Louis "fuck 'em if they can't take a joke" C.K.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

but I've sort of come to see what Hannah sees in him.

What?

I thought it was the harshness of what Hannah wrote that upset Marnie, as well as the shock.

Most of what Hannah wrote, though, was directly quoting Marnie.

I was shocked that a seemingly well-heeled snob of a woman would throw. a. drink. At all. Ever. Slapping would ring less false, even.

I'm not surprised. The drink was in her hand and she was angry and horrified. It doesn't take much to throw a drink at someone next to you so it was probably just an instinctive first reaction.

redheadgal

redheadgal

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

A conundrum...

I don't really enjoy the show.
I don't really like any of the characters.
I can't believe that these girls (women) act so stupidly:
* Hooking up with a man that treats them so disrespectfully
* Staying with a boyfriend that bores the crap out of you
* Smoking pot with your employer
* Letting your boss touch you inappropriately and not saying anything
* Saying very inappropriate things at job interviews
This show is like a car wreck for me...I'm afraid of what I'll see if I look too closely but I can't help but slow down and crane my neck to see what is happening. I find myself feeling very uncomfortable watching some of the scenes. I find myself embarrassed for these women, that they are so desperate, have such little self-esteem, are so lost in terms of what they want and who they are. But I record and I watch and I remember how much like these women I was at their age (and I'm well past that now). And I won't watch this with my husband even in the same room because I don't think he'd get these women...he'd roll his eyes and wonder what I see in the show because he didn't know me at that age. I'm thanksful I met him when I was in my 30's and I'm thankful I'm not so much like them anymore (and I wish I could wipe away some of the memories of my youth -- the stupidity, inexperience, impusivity and promiscuity). I guess I'll continue to watch the show not because I'm entertained but because...well, I'm not sure why.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

What?

If it wasn't clear: I recognize him as classic terrible but can also, again, see what she sees in him now. His sexual confidence is like catnip to her and the actors have demonstrated real chemisty in my eyes.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

I guess I'll continue to watch the show not because I'm entertained but because...well, I'm not sure why.

My theory is that there's a certain amount of enjoyment we get in seeing others make mistakes because it let's us know that everyone makes them and in turn we feel better about making our own mistakes(especially if they were in the past).

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Poor Shoshanna, chewing on the curtain she was hiding behind while she watched Jessa having sex. The girl just needs to get laid already. Something tells me that she still keeps a diary (like the kind that Hannah mocked in the beginning).

Hannah's boss is definitely interesting. When she was threatening him with extortion I thought for sure she was done and he was going to start yelling. The man didn't really even blink. It probably wasn't the first time he'd experienced that.

Marnie continues to bore. I hope now that she's done with this guy that her story lines will improve. Her ex-boyfriend's furniture was really strange.

ETA: Not really digging Jessa's story either. The whole thing with the kids' dad is so cliche.

Edited by Candy Moocher, May 14, 2012 @ 9:36 AM.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

I can't believe that these girls (women) act so stupidly:
* Hooking up with a man that treats them so disrespectfully
* Staying with a boyfriend that bores the crap out of you
* Smoking pot with your employer
* Letting your boss touch you inappropriately and not saying anything
* Saying very inappropriate things at job interviews

Sadly, these are all as realistic as it gets. As is her reaction when Wussy Boyfriend tries to end the relationship. He's right to do so (she's so uninterested in him she's never been to his apartment and doesn't even know the address). Everyone knows it, but she's just so used to it, she wants him to stay. And Wussy Boyfriend has been playing in a band for five years and still is that bad?

Yes, mommy. Hiring a hot nanny when your husband is unemployed is not a good idea.

I'd feel for the ex-boyfriend of the annoying English girl if he didn't have such a stupidly offensive hipster look. That facial hair alone...

I'll say this for the show, if you're looking back on your 20's fondly, this will dispel that shit immediately. It's pretty good at showing how utterly stupid we all were.

egilsdottir

egilsdottir

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I may have missed it, but has it ever been explained why leering dad needs a nanny for the kids when he's unemployed? His wife works, but it seems like all he does is wander around Manhattan with Horatio Sanz, hit on the babysitter & smoke pot.

Hannah's attempted seduction of her boss was hilarious: "look, you're gross, I'm gross. Let's have sex."

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

Jessa is a dirtier, poorer, more hipster version of Serena Van der Woodsen; they even have the same hair and cliche writing. And just like Serena, her life is luck, luck, and more luck, with the occasional traumatic experience. The other girls are unlikable, but I still find them interesting. Just like with Serena, she's frustrating, unsympathetic, aimless, and utterly boring.

Marine/Charlie's meeting was hilarious, but also really telling. He was genuinely interested in her; she wanted someone to take care of her. Now that she's standing on her own, she doesn't need him or the relationship anymore.

I take it back: Marnie and Charlie were sad, but ObviouslyGayElijah and Hannah freaking out about Scissor Sisters was hilarious.

Also hilarious? Shoshana biting the curtain. I love Zosia Mamet so, so much.

ETA:

I'm not sure ANY television scene has made me more uncomfortable than Adam masturbating in Hannah's presence. Honest question: was it supposed to be empowering or another example of how degrading their relationship is for her?

Props to Alison Williams for clearly not wanting to be naked on camera, but those sex scenes are ridiculous. No matter what Carrie Bradshaw wants us to believe, women. do. not. wear. bras (or dresses). while. having. sex.

Edited by Lila82, May 14, 2012 @ 11:28 AM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I'll say this for the show, if you're looking back on your 20's fondly, this will dispel that shit immediately. It's pretty good at showing how utterly stupid we all were.

But I'm in my twenties now and I still think these girls are idiots who make bad choices for no reason.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

but she's just so used to it, she wants him to stay

I got the feeling that Marnie had never been dumped by a guy so her winning him back was more about that.

I may have missed it, but has it ever been explained why leering dad needs a nanny for the kids when he's unemployed?

Intially they hired her for a nighttime gig so they could go out. My guess is that now dad is supposedly out looking for a job and therefore can't watch the kids.

Honest question: was it supposed to be empowering or another example of how degrading their relationship is for her?

I didn't interpret the scene as either of those and IMO it definitely wasn't degrading for Hannah. I believe it showed that despite it all they are sort of on the same wavelength, at least about some things, and share some of the same kinky behavior.

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

I thought it was a funny ep. It helps that I don't take it too seriously.

Hannah is really in her own little world. She says things that are only funny to her and completely inappropriate. That's what she has in common with Adam. For example, asking what Marnie thought of her writing while Marnie's relationship was falling apart. BTW, I loved the flashback to the party with a rather effeminate Elijah. (How could she not notice?)

I believe it showed that despite it all they are sort of on the same wavelength, at least about some things, and share some of the same kinky behavior.

I completely agree.

I was hoping Marnie would dump Charlie when he continued to use his whiney voice during sex... I just didn't expect the dumping to take place during the sex. It simply wasn't going to work out for her. She had no clue where her boyfriend lived? The one thing these girls have in common is they're with men (in relationships or sexually) simply because the men are there.

Edited by shockey80te, May 14, 2012 @ 11:55 AM.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

Do these characters have any qualities that aren't filtered through sex or stupidity? I mean I barely know anything about the interpersonal dynamics of them outside of Hannah and Marnie. Shoshanna might as well be Waldo.

Shoshanna's whole story seems to be waiting for her to lose her V-card.

Adam is funny, but too much of a caricature. No shirt and I'm not 100% sure he even exist outside the confines of that apartment.

As one reviewer noted, Hannah goes from HPV scared and "I want someone to want me only" to propositioning her boss? what if he'd said yes?

Charlie and Marnie's conversation was the one part that ran the gamut of real and funny to be realistic. Everyone else's story just sort of sails on one or the other.

iamhere

iamhere

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

This show is like a car wreck for me...I'm afraid of what I'll see if I look too closely but I can't help but slow down and crane my neck to see what is happening.

Same here, but mostly because I find the sex scenes so uncomfortable. I sound like an old lady (I'm in my 20s), but it would be more enjoyable if I wasn't cringing once or twice and episode. I do think Hannah is funny and the show has potential.

Edited by iamhere, May 14, 2012 @ 2:13 PM.

FreeperDave

FreeperDave

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

I'm not sure ANY television scene has made me more uncomfortable than Adam masturbating in Hannah's presence. Honest question: was it supposed to be empowering or another example of how degrading their relationship is for her?

I'm thinking she felt powerful doing it. Maybe she can turn this "dishing out abuse while you self abuse" into a paying gig.

Well, she already has. I meant maybe she can branch out to more clients.

Edited by FreeperDave, May 14, 2012 @ 3:15 PM.