Trisha's Southern Kitchen

• Please log in to reply

523 replies to this topic

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

And you'll have a recipe that I have seen Paula Deen make on her show.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

Today's show was a nice tribute to her late mother, but what's up with all the margarine and shortening? Doesn't she ever use butter? The "Chickless Pot Pie" would even qualify as vegan the way she made it. But margarine isn't any healthier than butter. And that shortening-based frosting sounded pretty gross.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:33 AM

But the FN website touts the pot pie made with margarine as a "healthy update"! Maybe because the pie crusts are specifically "lard-free"? Yes, it would be vegan, made with margarine and shortening, but no guesses as to how it would taste. FN also says that you have to use shortening instead of butter to make the icing really white. No comments on how it would taste. I think I'd rather have my frosting slightly off-white and tasting like butter, thanks. Crisco frosting is just disgusting.

blakec73

blakec73

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

My Grandmother made frosting with Crisco as a kid I loved... I don't know now haven't had it in years.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

When I was a kid in the '50s, my mother always used Crisco & her frostings were wonderful. In fact, she used Crisco for everything & never bought butter because it was more expensive than oleo -- same with my husband's mother & grandma.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

but what's up with all the margarine and shortening?

This episode turned me off for that reason. Plus watching someone make a cake is freaking boring (and I am someone who both bakes and cooks). Replacing chickpeas with peanuts in your hummus sounds like a pretty terrible idea to me and Paula Deen-esque.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Anybody watch the Daddy's Famous Stew episode? She made her Dad's recipe for Brunswick Stew. I've never had it and am curious to know if this is a pretty typical recipe.

I was sort of horrified at the thought of all that ketchup with pureed creamed corn, but at the same time I've got a morbid curiosity about it and want to try it.

I still enjoy her, the guests, and her family stories, but I'm not connecting too much with the recipes.

Edited by mushypeas, May 19, 2012 @ 12:53 PM.

captain1

captain1

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

Being from Virginia, I have eaten a lot of Brunswick Stew in my life (Brunswick County, VA lays claim to being the birthplace of Brunswick Stew). I have NEVER seen it all ground up and puréed like that before, though! Didn't seem particularly appetizing that way to me. However, the ingredients seem roughly the same, except that hereabouts we always add Lima beans. I did enjoy her stories about her dad being renowned for his stew and fixing it for fundraisers. Our local Ruritan club sells it every October at our local harvest festival and we stir it for hours with paddles too.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

I remember reading somewhere that Brunswick Stew was traditionally made with squirrel meat. I guess that doesn't happen too much these days ... at least not on the Food Network.

Enigmatics

Enigmatics

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

The ingredients seemed pretty standard to me. I've had both the ground up version and the non-ground up version, and I actually prefer the ground up version.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

I remember reading somewhere that Brunswick Stew was traditionally made with squirrel meat.

Some former in-laws from Louisiana made it with squirrel &/or coon &/or possum &/or rabbit -- pretty much whatever they could kill by throwing a rock at it. I wasn't real sorry about that particular divorce....

mstarheel

mstarheel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

The very first meal I had with DH's family 37 years ago included Brunswick stew, WITH squirrel, which nobody bothered to tell me, these were city folks, I was the one from the country! As an NC native, I've had tons of stew from fundraisers and restaurants, worst one contained ground beef and was sooo greasy, best is my SIL's church's stew, which they do 2x/year, they make about 20 big black pots = 2,000 qts spring and fall. Nothing ground, blech, my SIL would faint if she saw Trisha's recipe; the meat part is cooked to darn near mush, very thick & pastey (in a good way), but you can still identify a chunk of tater or a lima bean or a kernel of corn, good stuff. I'm certain there's NO creamed corn in the church recipe, double blech. And the ground potatoes, good grief, even with the mashed potatoes, that stew was very runny.

I thought this ep with the nephews was the best yet, those boys are a natural on camera, and the affection between them and their Aunt T was so natural. I wonder if those are her sister's kids or does she have a brother, did I miss that? Loved the basketball moments, Trisha's "I'm open, I'm open!"

Ms. Yearwood certainly likes using margarine a lot, doesn't she? She's big on the butter, too, like Paula and Pioneer Gal, but the margarine angle puzzles me, I'm going natural or not going. Have had that candy crack before, insanely addicting!

bj1968

bj1968

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

Trisha doesn't have any brothers...it's just Trisha and Beth(I think that s her sister's name?).

Sooner Charmed

Sooner Charmed

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

I enjoyed the family reunion show. For me the show is mostly appealing because of the guests she brings on. Her relationships seem very warm and friendly.

This is exactly what I like so much about this show. I am an Ina devotee, and while I LOVE giggling at the ridiculous interactions between Ina and her posse, she is hilariously unnatural with almost each and every one of them. Jeffrey gets a pass, but I digress. Contrast Ina to Trisha, who also does not have children of her own (yes, I know she has step-children), and the warm relationship between her and her nephews was actually enjoyable to watch. She genuinely seems to LIKE the people who she brings on as guests. I'm not going to lie, I find it truly refreshing for a FN show. I watch very few shows on FN for the recipes, I like to be entertained. Trisha does that very well.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

The repeat of the baby shower ep was just on. I've never had cheese straws- are they like breadsticks w/ cheese in them?

Trisha is a pleasure to watch- warm, friendly, funny. Her food is basic, but unlike PW, I don't mind because she's so pleasant.

mstarheel

mstarheel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

bj1968, thank you for the clarification about "Aunt T's" family.

Wallybear, cheese straws are like shortbread cookies or maybe pecan sandies, but savory, very crumbly and dry (dry in a good way), not bready at all. Done right, they are insanely addictive. There's a commercial brand I buy at A Southern Season in Chapel Hill, made here in NC, that I may or may not have been known to eat the whole dang box at one time...just saying. They are usually piped as short sticks or circles or even coins. Trisha's were very wonky-shaped and not very uniform....

Edited by mstarheel, May 26, 2012 @ 10:36 AM.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Ms. Yearwood certainly likes using margarine a lot, doesn't she? She's big on the butter, too, like Paula and Pioneer Gal, but the margarine angle puzzles me

I think it's because she's actually sharing family recipes. None of my grandmother's recipes called for butter, just margarine/oleo or Crisco.

Enigmatics

Enigmatics

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Is this show's run over already?

JenMD

JenMD

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Yes, it was just a 6 ep run.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

Trisha announced last night on Twitter that she's making 13 more shows.

Story on Trisha's extension from Food Network.

Edited by hoosier, Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:36 AM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

I'm glad Trisha's show got renewed- now I hope she replaces Pioneer Woman for good. Trisha's show is so much better than PW's.

JenMD

JenMD

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

Oh, that's awesome. I really enjoyed the 1st season, so glad we'll be getting more.

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

The new season started today. The theme was a bridal party and the menu was: Chicken salad sandwiches, made with poppy seeds and grapes, strawberry cupcakes with strawberry glaze, candied pecans and a Prosecco punch. I think that was everything. Trisha had a friend helping in the kitchen and tossed out the multiple family stories to go with about every recipe. Yawn. Just remembered - she also made fruity ice cubes (using a muffin tin instead of an ice cube tray) to go in the punch. I cringed when her friend, who played the clueless-in-the-kitchen role, asked what to do if the ice cubes stick in the pan. Trisha had to explain that you can dip the pan in hot water. Really?

The only thing that piqued my interest was the pecans, as I love them and have made them before. Her recipe was very similar to the one I used, but she poured melted butter on the sheet pan before adding the sugar coated nuts. Sounds delicious but I'd feel MORE guilty indulging in such a rich snack.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

I thought it was a nice show. I pretty much watch it for entertainment (like PW) and haven't made any recipes, but I like Trisha a lot.

I did get a laugh out of the cupcakes, though, because it was another old family cake recipe involving Jello. Is that a Southern thing?

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

another old family cake recipe involving Jello. Is that a Southern thing?

My family wasn't from the South & my mom had lots of recipes involving Jello, which she got from The Ladies Home Journal & our neighbors in various northern & western states. It may well be a 50s/60s thing.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

I think it was definitely from that era. One could not readily get fresh veggies and fruits out of season.

It took Julia Childs to ask cooks to put pressure on their grocers to get them - fresh/frozen whatever - and of course technology. Create a demand, if you will.

I have lots of old fashioned recipes from my mother and grandmother from those years and earlier, and I am 65.

I've not made any of her recipes but I see her on talk shows with them and people seem to really love them. I like her a lot and think her show is entertaining and usually informative. Better than Ree, anyway - and I am so over Paula.

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

qvole,

Being a kid in the late 70's early 80's my mother made so many holiday cakes with Jello.
I remember helping her with the recipes from the women's magazines from back in the day.I was born and raised in Los Angeles CA and so was my mom.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

I cringed when her friend, who played the clueless-in-the-kitchen role, asked what to do if the ice cubes stick in the pan. Trisha had to explain that you can dip the pan in hot water. Really?

I didn't watch the episode, but having just read the description, my first thought was 'but how do you get them out of a pan? Because ice cube trays are meant to flex. I probably would have eventually figured it out, but I don't think it is a bad thing to mention.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I didn't watch the episode, but having just read the description, my first thought was 'but how do you get them out of a pan? Because ice cube trays are meant to flex. I probably would have eventually figured it out, but I don't think it is a bad thing to mention.

Neither do I, because while watching the show my thought was, how do you get them out of the pan??

I can't help but compare this show to Pioneer Woman's show, because the food is very similar. I find Trisha infinitely more enjoyable to watch than PW. Trisha is genuinely warm, funny, & at ease in front of the camera. PW is decidely unfunny, stilted, & painful to watch at times. Trisha makes her guests relax & have fun; PW's poor family always look like they were busy working & they have to stop & tolerate her interruption.

I'm wondering if Garth Brooks will ever appear. I kind of hope that he doesn't, but it's also like the pink elephant in the room. I assume he's lurking in the house somewhere- is he going to pop into the kitchen for a drink?

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

Trisha was on the Today Show making one of her recipes and said that Garth will appear on an episode this season.