Trisha's Southern Kitchen

• Please log in to reply

523 replies to this topic

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 4:34 PM

Thousand Island dressing really should be more than mayo and ketchup. That recipe does not belong on any kind of cooking show.

hielandfoodie

hielandfoodie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 5:20 PM

IMHO you can never have too much chocolate.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 5:31 PM

Russian Dressing is mayonnaise and ketchup. Thousand Island Dressing is mayonnaise, ketchup and pickle relish. The pickle is the thousands of islands.

Actually, they both were created by deli cooks, who wanted to use ingredients they had on hand to make something different. Nowadays, most recipes add other ingredients to improve the flavor, since the original recipes are pretty bland.

Biosynth

Biosynth

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2014 @ 10:16 AM

When I low carb I make my own Thousand Island dressing with mayo, tomato paste, splenda sweetened sweet pickles and a little hot sauce.  Salt and pepper too, maybe a little allspice.   It's really lovely

imjagain

imjagain

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2014 @ 9:15 AM

When I low carb I make my own Thousand Island dressing with mayo, tomato paste, splenda sweetened sweet pickles and a little hot sauce.  Salt and pepper too, maybe a little allspice.   It's really lovely

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I was in the mood for a reuben sandwich , but I have been avoiding bread and sugars. so I  placed the corned beef, sauerkraut and swiss cheese on a grilled  portabella cap. So good. Your dressing was fantastic with it. Thank you for sharing.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2014 @ 11:23 AM

Saw an episode today with Nadia Comaneci and Bart Connor, the Olympian gymnasts.  Love the guests, Trisha was channeling Ree with the try too hard attempt at snark.  The eggplant dip looked yummy.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

I enjoyed today's show, too.  And for the first time I've watched this show, I can honestly say I'd eat all of it.  Even the grits casserole, and we usually don't eat casseroles.  The only thing I might object to is the marmalade sauce (with tomato juice) on the pork.  That might have been overkill. 

Pineapple upside down cake is one of my most favorite retro desserts, and I think I'm going to get the ingredients to try hers.

Nadia and Bart look great!  I was one of those kids who watched her with amazement, too.

ETA:  Did anyone notice the gorgeous Le Creuset oval skillet she used to brown the tenderloin?  Is it wrong to want one even though I really don't need one?

Edited by mushypeas, Mar 1, 2014 @ 2:26 PM.

EMTQueen

EMTQueen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2014 @ 1:14 AM

I just have to say it was funny that the Nadia Comaneci episode aired the same day the 2014 American Cup (gymnastics world cup event) was happening, considering Nadia won it 38 years ago.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 4:52 PM

My husband read that some doctor's association voted Trisha's among the top 5 worst cookbooks because of the fat content of her recipes. Hee.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 6:43 PM

I would say that means it is a good cookbook. :)

It is silly that some "group" says this.

csichick

csichick

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 6:56 PM

It is silly that some "group" says this.

Yeah, heaven forbid doctors who have taken an oath to do no harm and do their best to keep us healthy should say something about food that could kill us.

CheeseBurgh

CheeseBurgh

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 1:23 AM

No kidding, next thing you know some group is going to tell us that smoking is harmful!

I have nothing against Trisha Yearwood, she can sing. She isn't a creative cook but it looks like she is having fun. I watch her show on a rare occasion, it is not stuff I would cook, and I feel like I am a much better cook than she is.

Edited by CheeseBurgh, Mar 28, 2014 @ 1:29 AM.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 5:32 AM

Oh, I bet you are a better cook than her, Cheesebugh.

It's not fair, I suppose, but for some reason I give Trisha a pass for being a terrible cook. I watch her show while thinking, "Oh bless her heart." I'm not a country music listener, but she does have a charm about her that is fun to watch.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 3:03 PM

Yeah, heaven forbid doctors who have taken an oath to do no harm and do their best to keep us healthy should say something about food that could kill us.

Trisha never claimed that any of her cookbooks were "health" cookbooks, so that's why I don't give a hoot what some random group says.  Sure she has desserts, etc in there. I would bet most normal cookbooks would fall into this group's "fat" content list.