Trisha's Southern Kitchen

• Please log in to reply

523 replies to this topic

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

Yes, a little goes far too long with her.  I think they needed filler to stretch out the show and make is semi-interesting.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 8:55 AM

Russian dressing (mayo and ketchup) and Thousand Island dressing (mayo, ketchup and pickle relish) were concocted by deli cooks, to make use of ingredients they had on hand already.  Not exactly gourmet fare and definitely not something that needs to be demonstrated on television.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

I'm kind of surprised she didn't put a few dollops of the dressing on her creamed beef on toast. 

cam3150

cam3150

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:46 AM

By far, this was the most useless of Trisha's shows to date. Wow. I can't believe anyone even agreed to make this episode.

Though, I will say, my Mom made us SOS all the time and we loved it. I'm sure it started out as a budget thing but we all loved it so she'd make it for us well beyond our "poor" days.  Her Dad was in the army and they used to eat it so that's how she learned to make it. She never made hers with milk though, only with beef broth. We also didn't put  butter on the top. 

Seeing Trisha make it has made me want some. As sad as it it, I may make myself some SOS soon. 

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 12:56 PM

My mom never made SOS, but she did make "creamed tuna on toast," which is essentially the same thing, only she would make the white gravy and add a can of tuna.  Dad hated it, so it was a treat we had when he wasn't home.  I wasn't introduced to  the beef version until adulthood, and admit my kids had their share of it when times were lean.  Don't think I'd like it so much with hamburger, though.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 6:39 PM

My dad served briefly as an officer in the Navy, so I think that's how we were introduced to SOS.  As I recall, my mother didn't seem to enjoy making it that much. She used chipped beef from a jar and made a cream sauce like Trisha did and added chopped hard boiled eggs. I make it occasionally, but I find the beef to be way to salty, so a little goes a long way. We/I never added any butter on top. 

A creamy tuna melt type dish doesn't sound half bad, but please don't give Trisha any ideas!  :-)

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 7:46 PM

Trisha's now a Grandma, technically speaking! Well a Step-Grandma anyway. Garth (Brooks, her husband)'s middle daughter from his 1st marriage gave birth to her own daughter (father is her longtime boyfriend) in Oklahoma earlier this week.

http://abcnews.go.co...try?id=19785610

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

I am confused, I have heard of tender foods. Even googled  tender cake and was amazed at the varieties - chocolate, yellow, white, carrot, lemon, etc.

But what makes it tender? Wasn't her recipe Italian Cream Cake?

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 9:13 AM

I think the word she was stretching for instead of tender was fragile or delicate???  I don't care for Italian cream cake, so I'm not sure what she was talking about.

OK, I didn't think that the segment on preparing collards was that bad. I like collards and it was helpful to see how to strip and cook them.

That casserole looked like something my cat threw up. 

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 9:39 AM

LOL.  The casserole did look like something the cat threw up, but I think I would actually eat that if I was in the mood for a heavy, cheesy casserole. It's like a homemade hamburger helper.  

Like a lot of her recipes, it looks just a little bland.  Comments on FN say that it's better with pepper jack cheese.

But what makes it tender? Wasn't her recipe Italian Cream Cake?

I've heard cake referred to as being tender.  I think she said it was the egg whites that did it.  

I could eat that entire dish of collard greens.  Love them. 

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

I agree the casserole didn't look pretty. but I have to say something about it intrigued me. I might try it on a cool rainy fall day, seems easy and I always have all those things in the house.

I googled the potato hamburger casserole, and at least Trisha made a white sauce. So many recipes are using canned cream of whatever soup.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

Isn't the recipe usually made with tater tots? Did Trisha or Beth explain why they were using baby red potatoes instead of Idaho or Yukon gold? It would be a pain in the rear to have to peel the little red ones.  Just curious. It might make a good cold weather dish, but agree that it looked unappetizing and bland.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

Isn't the recipe usually made with tater tots? Did Trisha or Beth explain why they were using baby red potatoes instead of Idaho or Yukon gold? It would be a pain in the rear to have to peel the little red ones.  Just curious. It might make a good cold weather dish, but agree that it looked unappetizing and bland.

All the recipes that I saw. called for potatoes not tater tots. The pics looked like Trisha, sort of.
If I ever made it I would not peel red potatoes and I would just boil them whole then slice them. And add some spice or something
Eta: I didn't hear them explain why red potatoes, but probably because they hold up better after being boiled then baked. Idaho's I'm sure would turn to mush.

Edited by itsmejessica, Jul 28, 2013 @ 5:27 PM.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

I just made the potato dish - it's definitely straight-up comfort food.  Everything with a bechamel sauce tastes good to me, so I'm not surprised that I like it.  It's the first Trisha recipe I've made; glad to make one of her mom's.

As I was assembling it, though, I had a funny thought that it might be a southern play on moussaka.  A very distant cousin, but it was reminiscent of it.

I think tater tots would be absolutely gross, but then I really dislike tater tots.

ETA:  I forgot to mention that the potato casserole is really bland.  It's creamy and comforting, but it has no kick.  Would be lots better with pepper jack cheese and maybe some green chilis.

Edited by mushypeas, Jul 28, 2013 @ 6:27 PM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 6:21 PM

Folding in beaten egg whites make for a lighter, more airy cake with a tender crumb. That is what she was talking about.

Biosynth

Biosynth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 10:29 AM

The casserole with tater tots and white sauce (or cream of mushroom soup) is often called "Hot Dish".  It's really popular in Minnesota and North Dakota.  My husband is from North Dakota and we have this fairly often as it is something he's grown up with.  Usually we put veggies in it though to make it at least somewhat redeemable. 

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

Caught the re-run today where she made the biscuits with the chocolate gravy (that sounds unappetizing, but I know someone upthread said that it was pretty good).  I do have to say that the biscuits looked better than the ones I had just seen on 'The Pioneer Woman'.  Ree's looked burned on the bottom.

I'm not sure how the chicken pot pie sans veggies would taste.  I usually put some carrots, peas, etc. in mine. However, I have been guilty of eating the veggies out of a serving first and saving the chicken and crust for last, so maybe this recipe would appeal to me!

I was a little confused by the Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.  Maybe it's because I'm in the deep south, but what she made (except for the meringue part) is what I've always known as a Lemon Icebox Pie.  Those always contained condensed milk.  I never had/made one with meringue,either.  We always put a little whipped cream on the top.  The graham cracker crust was familiar, though (although that crust was really thick--it took up most of the pan and left only a little room for the filling).  What I always knew as Lemon Meringue Pie was made with cornstarch in the mixture and was a brighter yellow than the icebox pie recipe (which is usually pale yellow).  The filling was usually cooked for a few minutes on the stove and then poured into a traditional pie crust (not graham cracker).  I always preferred the lemon icebox myself (or a lime version), because I loved the tartness and I don't care for meringue. 

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Mixing up the meatloaf with a mixer?? And she uses the leanest meat, because she doesn't want a soggy meatloaf. I've never had a soggy meatloaf. And no topping or glaze or sauce on the meatloaf. Did not look appealing to me.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

Caught the re-run today where she made the biscuits with the chocolate gravy (that sounds unappetizing, but I know someone upthread said that it was pretty good).  I do have to say that the biscuits looked better than the ones I had just seen on 'The Pioneer Woman'.  Ree's looked burned on the bottom.

I'm not sure how the chicken pot pie sans veggies would taste.  I usually put some carrots, peas, etc. in mine. However, I have been guilty of eating the veggies out of a serving first and saving the chicken and crust for last, so maybe this recipe would appeal to me!

I was a little confused by the Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.  Maybe it's because I'm in the deep south, but what she made (except for the meringue part) is what I've always known as a Lemon Icebox Pie.  Those always contained condensed milk.  I never had/made one with meringue,either.  We always put a little whipped cream on the top.  The graham cracker crust was familiar, though (although that crust was really thick--it took up most of the pan and left only a little room for the filling).  What I always knew as Lemon Meringue Pie was made with cornstarch in the mixture and was a brighter yellow than the icebox pie recipe (which is usually pale yellow).  The filling was usually cooked for a few minutes on the stove and then poured into a traditional pie crust (not graham cracker).  I always preferred the lemon icebox myself (or a lime version), because I loved the tartness and I don't care for meringue. 

I have a lemon pie craving today. I was going to make a lemon icebox pie. I saw some recipes use egg yolk and some used cream cheese. I have never made this. I have everything for it. Can I ask do you use egg yolks in your icebox pie. Thank you.
redvelvet I have not watched the new show yet. I have to say, I don't get Trisha's love of mixing ground meat in a mixer?

Edited by itsmejessica, Aug 10, 2013 @ 12:20 PM.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

Use the egg yolks in your lemon icebox pie. I love that pie! So easy and so yummy.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

Yeah I think I will use the eggs. I was thinking the cream cheese would take the tartness down some. And I want the tartness. Thanks. I have never made one but it looks easy. I can see how using the cream cheese would create a different pie all together. Again thanks for the advice.

Edited by itsmejessica, Aug 10, 2013 @ 1:20 PM.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

I have to say, I don't get Trisha's love of mixing ground meat in a mixer?

Maybe she doesn't like to touch it with her hands.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

I have to say, I don't get Trisha's love of mixing ground meat in a mixer?

Then she needs to use a spoon, because using a mixer when making meatballs (which she did a few weeks ago), or meatloaf, would make an over-mixed, tough end result. Getting your clean hands dirty is part of the fun of cooking.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 1:55 PM

Maybe. How else will meat loaves and meatballs be shaped? She has to touch the meat. If that is what she likes to do, fine. I just think it will make a very tough meatball/ meatloaf.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

She said on the show that she couldn't get the ingredients mixed in properly when she used her hands. Really? That seems crazy to me. How hard is it to mix up meatloaf? Use a spoon/hands combo. That would be better than a mixer.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

This is the second time Trisha has mixed up a ground beef dish in the mixer. Why is it so difficult to combine the ingredients with your hands?  You can get in there and feel if you need to redistribute ingredients in a more gentle manner than the KA.

Regardless, the final product didn't look appealing.  It looked hard and dry studded with large hunks of onion.  Barf.

Why put fettuccine AND potatoes in a soup that features rice?  I know Trisha and the friend kept referring to it as "carb soup," then to top it off with Velveeta?  Really?  Wouldn't the cheese just congeal and attach itself to the chicken?  Ugh.

And shows like Anne Burrell's get cancelled in favor of this dreck. 

Edited by grisgris, Aug 11, 2013 @ 3:10 AM.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 7:42 PM

Why put fettuccine AND potatoes in a soup that features rice?  I know Trisha and the friend kept referring to it as "carb soup," then to top it off with Velveeta?  Really?  Wouldn't the cheese just congeal and attach itself to the chicken?  Ugh.

That soup was an absolute abomination.  It's bad enough that her idea of broth is chicken bouillon and water.  But then the combination of rice and noodles, topped with Velveeta cubes was just unforgivable.  

She redeemed herself slightly with the coffee cake, which looked very good, but the soup was a disaster.  If this is what she makes for rainy days, I'm betting the family prays for sun.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

That soup was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. It was gross enough, basically chicken water with rice and pasta, but what the hell with the cheese? Why? What part of that would possibly taste good? Granted, I'm not a soup person, but I could see cheese if it was a broccoli soup or something cream based. But throwing chunks of cheese (not even grated) on a broth just sounds disgusting. I can't even imagine how that would taste. Her meatloaf didn't look much better. I'm surprised she didn't stuff cheese chunks in that, too. Actually, that might have made it slightly less gross. 

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

I haven't watched this show since the first season (ironic, considering I started the thread) but tuned in today and you guys were right, the soup and meatloaf were gross.

I don't even think you can call that a soup, it was more like vegetables in vaguely flavored chicken water, because that's all you're going to get from boneless, skinless chicken breasts. And the Velveeta? My goodness. I don't know what kind of cheese she's buying, but I've never had a problem with real cheese melting.  The meatloaf wasn't much better. What was with those huge chunks of onion? And she doesn't want the meatloaf to absorb any juices? Why? There is a difference between soggy and moist. The only thing that I would eat from this episode in the cake.

Countess123

Countess123

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 5:27 PM

I agree WhitneyWhit the only appealing thing was the cake.  Part of my problem with her cooking is that it seems like it would taste so bland.  She hardly ever adds any seasonings beyond salt & pepper in her recipes and even then not enough that it would be tasty. 

I just can't get over the velveeta on top of the soup.