Trisha's Southern Kitchen

• Please log in to reply

523 replies to this topic

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Premieres tomorrow morning

Country music star Trisha Yearwood invites y'all into her Nashville kitchen, where she cooks up Southern favorites, shares stories and always keeps the door open for family and friends.

Trisha's Southern Kitchen

How many southern cooks do we need? We have The Pioneer woman, Paula and her klan and now Trisha Yearwood.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I'd like to see what Trisha does. I miss Southern chef Natalie Dupree, who has been off TV for many years. She did it first and she did it best. Paula came second, and was great until she went to the Dark Side. I like Trisha and her music, so it's obvious to me that I will like her cooking, too.

ETA: don't forget the Southern cooking of the Neelys and - is it Big Daddy's House?

Edited by Lava VaVoom, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:51 PM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

I miss Southern chef Natalie Dupree, who has been off TV for many years. She did it first and she did it best.

I miss her so much- a TRUE southern lady who was an excellent cook to boot. And she didn't drown everything in butter, y'all.

Trisha Yearwood was on a FN show- I think it was Paula's- & she seemed very nice. But as stated above, we have Pauler, the Neeley's, & the fake Pioneer Woman- seems enough of the same fried, butter laden cuisine already. It will be interesting to see what Trisha cooks, but I'm not that hopeful.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

For anyone who is looking for Nathalie Dupree, she is still a presence on the internet, at her own website. She also writes for the Post and Courier newspaper in Charleston SC and does web videos for their site.

As for Trisha Yearwood, her cookbook has been out for a while and contains the same kind of recipes that all the other so-called Southern cooks on FN feature. She will fit in perfectly with FN's current business model. Too bad all the actual Southern cooks out there can't get FN to give them the time of day. Or any other actual cooks, for that matter. Oh, well.

Edited by vera charles, Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:41 AM.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

While I liked her presence on camera, the food just wasn't their for me. The quiche and cheese straws looked gross, but I would try the brownies with the coconut frosting.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

I'm not Southern and don't listen to much country music, but I really like Trisha's personality. She has an easygoing warmth and charm, and a nice sense of humor (loved how she said they refer to Garth as Gartha Stewart).

As for the food, I've always wanted to try cheese straws and one of these years I will. The brownies looked good, too, though I rarely bake.

It was nice to hear her sing the lullaby. She does have a beautiful voice.

I'll give the show another watch. As Food Network collects personalities, she seems like a nice addition. So much better than Pioneer Woman.

Edited by mushypeas, Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:52 PM.

Sooner Charmed

Sooner Charmed

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I was pleasantly surprised, she has a really great presence on camera! I guess all those years of performing live on stage have taught her how to tell a story in a short amount of time. I didn't care for the food today, but that's hit or miss with any cooking show.

tahitigirl

tahitigirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

What mushypeas said! I liked her. The cameraderie seemed natural not forced and the food looked promising. I'll tune in again.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

I've been a big Trisha Yearwood fan for years now. I remember seeing her at a fair many years ago singing "She's In Love With The Boy" her first hit. Kinda shy on stage but she was very young. Missed this morning's first show but will watch next week.

Any new show without Paula and her family is a step in the right direction for Food Network IMO.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

I have her first cookbook. I like many of her recipes, except that I had to cut down on the salt and add seasonings to others.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

I'm not a country music fan, either, so I was totally prepared to dislike both Trisha and her show, especially since it was "Southern" cooking. I was pleasantly surprised. I expected that since she's a performer, that she'd be comfortable in front of the camera. I enjoyed her banter with her band members. It was nice that she actually let them cook and did not hover over them or elbow her way in and take over and do the work herself.

A few minor things... I wish that the show wasn't titled, "Southern..." Nothing Trisha made today seemed like it had Southern roots. I also wondered about the quiche... Don't you usually add more liquid to a quiche batter like milk or cream? What Trisha made looked like baked eggs in a pie shell. I also liked her tips on how to modify dishes to make them lighter, etc.

I had to laugh at the "Gartha" story about putting tortellini in everything. I tend to add pasta to recipes when it's not called for. However, I don't think I'd put it in a quiche.

I'll be curious to see if each episode is going to include guests and songs. I'd like to see how she'd do solo with just her cooking for 30 minutes.

I, for one, didn't miss Pioneer Woman one bit.

arkansan

arkansan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

Cheese straws are a staple appetizer at every party in the South. If you don't want to make them (and I don't anymore because the cookie press is a pain), just buy the Archer Farms brand at Target. They're just as good as any I've ever made.

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Thanks for the link to Nathalie Dupree site, vera charles. I, too, used to love that show.

I'm not a country music fan, either, so I was totally prepared to dislike both Trisha and her show, especially since it was "Southern" cooking. I was pleasantly surprised.

grisgris, you & I both. She seemed very comfortable in front of the camera.

So, this took PW's place? 'Sounds like a good move. However, the song at the end seemed cheesy to me, so I turned it off. lol

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Add me to the folks who really enjoyed the show. At first I was unenthused about the guests on the show, but Trisha and her guests interacted really well and she didn't treat them like complete idiots (like some of the other FN hosts). It was a totally laid back show and she is really great on the camera.

The cheese straws looked really good, and I don't make them personally because of the "straw" bit, but after seeing her tip about making balls and pressing with a fork, I may have to try it out. The quiche also looked appetizing (but I LOVE quiche), and that seemed like it would be a quiche that Mr White would like. He would also like the brownies, which just seemed like a regular brownie with a German-Chocolate type frosting.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

A few years back, Trisha was a guest on The View, publicizing her cookbook, and of course she brought all kinds of food. Those women went positively, sincerely nuts for it all. I can't remember if there were ribs of chicken, but whichever, Whoopi was practically passing out with enjoyment. So I've always had confidence that Trisha was a natural talent in the kitchen as well as the stage. I like to cook but I envy people who are truly gifted. She sure seems like one of them.

Edited by heirloomtomata, Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:02 PM.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

So, this took PW's place?

According to a press release by Scripps, this is in addition to PW, which has been renewed for a third season.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Finally got around to watching this tonight. I had no expectations so I was pleasantly surprised I actually enjoyed it. Trisha is very natural on camera--doesn't make you uncomfortable to watch like rat-faced Pioneer Woman. I'll watch again to see if the first epi was a fluke.

ETA: I also will likely try her cheese straws. The recipe looked good (I'll increase the cayenne) and as Trisha said of herself, cheese straws are something I cannot be left alone with so I'd probably cut the recipe in half. Not enough time to exercise in the day otherwise!

Edited by jcbrown, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:45 PM.

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Thanks, chessiegal - well, it is kinda fun to snark on PW.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

Finally got around to watching this tonight. I had no expectations so I was pleasantly surprised I actually enjoyed it. Trisha is very natural on camera--doesn't make you uncomfortable to watch like rat-faced Pioneer Woman. I'll watch again to see if the first epi was a fluke.

Me, too. While the recipes were stupidly simple, I liked her a lot. I detest country music, but that lullabye was beautiful. Trisha is a natural in front of the camera, unlike PW, is is dreadful. I will watch again also.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Finally got around to watching this. It's better than Pioneer Woman -- I wish these shows just featured cooks cooking but, if they must pad with extraneous material, I'd rather see musicians goofing off than cows being harassed. She & her pals seem like much more fun than the PW gang. And those brownies look intriguing.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

Am I the only one who thinks it's pretty sad that the nicest thing anyone can say about this show is that it's not as bad as Pioneer Woman? What in the world is FN thinking? Do these shows with celebrities who aren't really cooks bring in that much of an audience?

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's pretty sad that the nicest thing anyone can say about this show is that it's not as bad as Pioneer Woman? What in the world is FN thinking?

I think many people have said they genuinely liked Tricia.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

I think that what has happened here is that the marketing/program scheduling "geniuses" at FN, have unwittingly positioned Trisha's show as a "temporary replacement" for Ree's show. It's in the same time slot and more or less focuses on the same style of cooking. As much as I diss Ree, in this case, we really are comparing apples to oranges, regarding camera presence. I automatically expected Trisha to be poised and polished. I was looking more at content.

I don't know much about FN's plans for Trisha's show. Is the network planning to develop her show as an ongoing NEW show? For some reason, I had the impression that maybe Trisha either wanted to, or was invited to do a handful of shows until "Pioneer Woman's" new season was ready. I could be completely off-base on this, dreamed it up, etc.

I can't imagine that Trisha would want to commit to a FN show given her busy music life. What do I know? Maybe she's tired of touring and wants to switch gears.

IF the plans are for Trisha to have a new home on FN, well, she's going to have to crowd out Paula, Ree, the Neelys (are they still even on?) and whatever the new show is starring Jamie Deen. That's WAY too many down-home, rib-sticking, Southern (however you want to describe it) cooking shows.

We've only seen one show... Honestly, I hadn't planned to watch it at all because I let my bias against country music influence me. It came on last Saturday, just as I was dashing out the door for a hair appointment. I thought it looked halfway decent, so I quickly hit the "record" button on my DVR.

I thought the first show was pretty good. Right now, I'm trying to deconstruct it (yes, I have no life on a Friday night, but it's been a rough week!) and if you took out the guest musicians in the kitchen with Trisha and the SL about the baby shower, you wouldn't be left with much.

If this show is going to be an ongoing parade of guests, and chances for Trish to subtly promote her cookbooks (did anybody else catch her remark, "I've written a few best-selling cookbooks, so I think I know what I'm doing) and her music, then count me out.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

From the Scripps press release on March 29:

NEW SERIES DAYTIME:

Trisha’s Southern Kitchen

Series Premiere: Saturday April 14th at 10:30am ET/PT

Music superstar and best-selling cookbook author Trisha Yearwood brings her family-inspired recipes and food traditions to Food Network this spring, with the premiere of the new daytime series Trisha’s Southern Kitchen. From preparing dishes from her childhood to planning a baby shower and family reunion barbecue, each themed show invites viewers into Trisha’s kitchen for her favorite meals, nostalgic stories and visits from family and friends. The six-episode series offers Trisha’s unique how-to tips and techniques for down-home dishes.

Scripps Press release

It doesn't say how many shows they plan on doing, but if it's like the deals they give TNFNS, maybe an initial 6 shows for a season? If that's the case, they could knock out one season in a week. Not too much strain on Trisha's schedule, I would think. Even if it's more than 6, they can knock out quite a few shows in a short time.

I saw an interview with Emeril recently where he said they would tape 8 episodes a day of "Essence of Emeril". He mentioned when they got back from lunch break, he'd notice the crew nodding off, and that's when he started his "BAM" thing - to wake the crew up.

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

I'm not a big fan of this show - I find the host no better (or worse) than Pioneer Woman. Her recipes are very simple, "comfort food" that's been done a million times already. Today's show was bad - her friend was so annoying. Plus, the recipes were so basic that it was boring. That crockpot mac & cheese looked abominable - like it was already digested.

Their little pajama raid of the fridge was so scripted. I don't want to watch a show that wastes airtime that could be spent cooking on lullabies (last week) and visits to antique shops (today). FN - please stop crowbarring in the "cute" stuff.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I happened to turn on the TV just as she was making the macaroni and cheese. In a crockpot? Holy shades of Sandra Lee! Wouldn't the already cooked pasta turn to mush after hours in the crockpot? I only watched a moment until she said she had never heard of using evaporated milk in macaroni and cheese, then I changed the channel. Seriously? Why does FN insist on taking people from other disciplines who don't know anything about cooking and giving them shows?

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

I have an awesome crock pot mac & cheese recipe. I will have to go take a look at Trisha's and see how they compare. I have not been able to catch her show yet, but have seen her on talk shows promoting her cookbook in the past. Her food always looked delicious. IMO, you can never have too much good, down home cooking on TV.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

I was less enthusiastic about today's show. Does anybody just cook for 30 minutes anymore? It seems like the only one who is still doing that is Anne Burrell and her shows are creeping to the graveyard slot of early Sunday morning. I think that TPTB at FN noticed people fawning all over "Barefoot Contessa," and Ina Garten's "faaaaa-bulous" lifestyle and decided to reformat all old programs (e.g. "Everyday Italian") and develop new shows to fit into that genre. Now, we're stuck with contrived storylines, scripted crap, Q&A, everything but actually cooking instruction.

Trisha's friend wasn't funny at all. I found her to be annoying and I dislike shows where the host brings on some totally clueless friend who is too terrified in the kitchen to even crack an egg. (At least Sandra Lee's friends are amusing because they are usually sloshed on cocktails.) I found the trip to the antique shop preferable to having to listen to more silly banter between Trisha and Carrie in the kitchen. At least Trisha wasn't friends with the owner and decided to drop by with an extra pie or something and pimp the store.

That was a mighty heavy meal -- mac 'n cheese, fried chicken with potatoes and gravy and pecan pie. Does "Southern" or "comfort" cooking automatically equate a complete lack of vegetables?

I still do appreciate Trisha's little tips, like the 4:4:2 ratio when making gravy. I didn't know that and that's probably why when I (rarely) make gravy, it never turns out quite right. I like the pop-up graphics that include tips, but they are very difficult to read (at least on my TV.) It looked like one said something about using red potatoes to make mashed potatoes, but I couldn't read the reason why. (BTW, I think the colors on the title and closing graphics are hideous. I have a relatively new flat screen HD TV -- albeit small -- and the brick red script lettering on the washed out aqua background looks terrible.)

I wish they'd gone into more detail about preparing the potatoes in the pressure cooker. Yes, we know that it reduces the cooking time, but how much water do you add, etc.? Was there water already in the pressure cooker when Carrie added the potatoes?

I also wondered about the crock pot macaroni and cheese. I noticed how congealed it appeared when Trisha was scooping it out of the crock pot. It would have helped to have more specifics about cooking the elbow noodles. Were they thoroughly cooked, partially?

We'll see what next week brings...

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

the 4:4:2 ratio when making gravy

That's the recipe I've been using out of the Joy of Cooking for more than 20 years. I use chicken broth because I loathe milk gravy, but it's the same proportions. It's foolproof, for sure.

using red potatoes to make mashed potatoes

I didn't see the graphic, but some people like waxy potatoes for mashing so they end up creamy. I use russets (baking potatoes) because they mash fluffy, but it depends on what you want the final product to be.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

I watched Trisha's show this morning and liked it. Of course, I've been a fan of her singing so maybe biased. I also like home style cooking so this show is definitely for me.