The Three Stooges

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

I don't get this movie at all. People who hate the Three Stooges won't watch it. And if you love the Three Stooges, wouldn't you just watch some actual Three Stooges? Anyway, enjoy, I guess.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

Like I said in another thread, this is the worst insult to a comedic icon since the movie Wired.

I don't think even the real Larry, Moe, and Curly would be caught dead in a scene with those Jersey Shore idiots.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

And if you love the Three Stooges, wouldn't you just watch some actual Three Stooges?

Exactly! I don't "love" the Three Stooges (I've only seen a little bit of them), but the ads for this make me want to see the originals.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Eh, I get it. It's three guys hitting each other and getting into all sorts of hijinks. With the right formula this can be a big draw for young kids. Their target audience most likely has never even viewed a Three Stooges short, and if they had it was probably from YouTube. Now, whether this will be a successful gambit remains to be seen.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

I saw it and I liked it. The three mains played great replicas of the classic stooges and getting to see Moe beat up the cast of The Jersey Shore was nice. It's not going to be one of those movies that has any real staying power in the mind but it doesn't shy away from what it is, a simple call back to the adventures of the famous trio.

Tell Her No

Tell Her No

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

As a fan even in the womb (my mother watched the Stooges every afternoon along with my older sister), I can say that I'll see this movie....but not in the theatre. I don't know, I hate when I miss something and I usually have to keep asking my sister "What'd they say? What's that a reference to?" So, seeing it in the comfort of my own home will work for me.

That aside, I do love the advertising campaign--it's tailor made for the young'uns who've probably never have seen the Stooges except in references in TV shows. So seeing three strange looking men whacking each other (and Moe whaling on the Jersey Shore cast!) will probably bring in a few more fans. In this case, I actually like it more than that "biopic", or any of those "Laurel and Hardy" movies. Had anyone else but the Farrellys attempted to do this, I don't think it would've worked (in my humble opinion).

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

]Their target audience most likely has never even viewed a Three Stooges short, and if they had it was probably from YouTube.

I disagree. While the Three Stooges are not the ubiquitous, after-school entertainment they were when I was a kid, they are still on the air and the kids still watch. My nieces and nephews all love the boys and their slapstick antics. Granted they have their uncle educating them in all things Stooge-related, but I know my friend's 6 year old son is as big a Three Stooges fan as there is and he has no one influencing him on the matter. His parents are not Stooges fans (his mother absolutely hates them) and yet the little guy became a fan anyway. And as much as I would like to take credit, I can't honestly say I had any influence there.

The Three Stooges have managed to remain popular for going on 8 decades now, so I don't think there is a real problem with the target audience, kids, having a lack of awareness of Moe, Larry and Curly.

Anyway, I saw the movie today, and I agree with Roger Ebert that this was as good a Three Stooges movie as one could make in 2012. Unlike Ebert, I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment. It was really good. I knew the Farrelly's could handle the slapstick, but what I was really afraid of was whether or not they would inject some of their trademark sappiness into the formula. Normally that isn't bad, as a bit of pulling on the heartstrings has made the Farrelly's films really work in the past. But with the Three Stooges it could backfire. Thankfully they kept it to a bare minimum and it actually helped pull the movie together.

Edited by reggiejax, Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:46 PM.

murrrrr

murrrrr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

I don't get this movie at all. People who hate the Three Stooges won't watch it. And if you love the Three Stooges, wouldn't you just watch some actual Three Stooges? Anyway, enjoy, I guess.

This is my exact thought every time they do a remake of any movie that really doesn't need to be remade, but said remake usually does well. Believe it or not, there are some people who will not see, quote un-quote, old movies.