8-20: "Welcome Party" 2012.04.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

26 replies to this topic

BoogieBurns

BoogieBurns

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

"Robert makes the office plan a welcome party for Nellie, and the party planning committee try to sabotage it. Meanwhile, Erin and Andy plan how he can break up with Jessica"

(Paraphrased from NBC.com)

Um, is Nellie actually the new manager? Who has been answering the phones while Erin has been gone? Did Nellie move into Michael Scott's condo?

This episode left me with a million questions. However, the Jim and Pam moments were lovely.

YpsiYvonne

YpsiYvonne

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Wow. I really just couldn't care any less about Andy and Erin. Weak, weak, weak.

Even the office s/l was blah.

My favorite part of this very weak and blah episode was the opening, when no one could remember if Stanley had a mustache or not. I voted no, and was wrong!!!

sidebar:
Does this "new and improved" TWOP actually have emoticons? Nothing shows up when I click on the smiley face.

murrrrr

murrrrr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Nice to see the security guard again and that he's still holding a grudge for being called back in the middle of the night for nothing.

seminoles1

seminoles1

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

Andy and Erin became my least favorite couple in TV history tonight. Totally unnecessary to go back and throw it in Jessica's face that he thinks he found someone a lot better than her. And the funny thing is that Erin sucks compared to her.

I still don't care for Nellie even though they tried to make me feel sorry for her. So she went through a bad breakup...who hasn't?

Edited by seminoles1, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:59 PM.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Andy and Erin became my least favorite couple in TV history tonight. Totally unnecessary to go back and throw it in Jessica's face that he think she found someone a lot better than her. And the funny thing is that Erin sucks compared to her.

Took the words out of my mouth. I think the writers thought it would be...romantic? Anyway, I hate this relationship and I hope this is all leading to one horrific and awkward breakup. Which is sad because I liked them in the beginning. SO gross how they were kissing right outside.

I didn't understand why we were supposed to suddenly feel for Nellie.

What was this episode. Although the "WE HATE PAM" stuff was pretty funny.

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

How damn long have Andy and Erin been driving back from Florida? He surely got down there quickly enough. Now Nellie's been in Scranton long enough for her boxes to arrive??

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:53 AM

I would guess from the 'We Love Savannah' shirts that Andy and Erin have been touristing around and taking their time in getting back up to Scranton. Which, of course, is dumb since they both have jobs that they ran out on, but still.

This was a very weak and weirdly-paced episode that featured a few really funny moments (the end tag with Hank, some great Dwight/Jim interplay, Creed's talking head) amidst a thin storyline.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:04 AM

I can't stand Nellie so anything with her makes me want to change the channel. She's just TOO wierd.

I actually love Erin & Andy - I thought it was sweet & gutsy of him to go back & tell Jessica the truth.

The "We hate Pam" was hilarious.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:34 AM

Again, it looks like Dwight and Jim are in agreement and are friends.

Roller Girl

Roller Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

I hope Nellie goes away. She's horrible. And I don't care if she had a bad breakup. This episode could have been SOOO much funnier.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

That really was a weird episode. I actually felt sorry for Jessica because of the crude way that Andy chose to announce that he was leaving her. I don't think we ever got to know Jessica very well but there was nothing to indicate that she was a nasty girlfriend who deserved a public dumping. I'm fine with Nellie as the new manager, and the un-welcome party was more awkward than funny.

But I did remember that Stanley has a mustache. He has one of the most expressive faces in TV comedy.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

I hope Nellie goes away. She's horrible. And I don't care if she had a bad breakup. This episode could have been SOOO much funnier.

I can't believe how far this show has gone off the rails. I knew that Michael Scott's departure would change things but I didn't think it would be to this extent. I hated it when they brought in Will Farrell, James Spader and now Nellie. I know that other posters liked these characters but I couldn't stand them. I feel that the writing is all over the place. With Michael,just when you thought he was a thoughtless buffoon, he would show a sweet,caring humanity, my favorite example of that was Pam's Art Show episode.

Yesterday there was an article in a local paper about shows that have worn out their welcome and are now just limping along and The Office was one of them. The writer said that Pam and Jim's wedding episode should have been their finale and I couldn't agree more.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

This episode made Andy look like a complete asshole. I genuinely don't understand why they would make him behave that way, and how they expected us to react. We didn't know Jessica well, and there as no reason to be invested in that relationship, but that doesn't make her deserve that humiliation, or make her friend deserve to have her bachlorette party ruined.

I liked the cold open, I liked Creed's lucidity with regard to why he was asked to perform at Nellie's party, I liked Ryan's objection to having "Douchebag" as his code name ("And everyone would know who you were talking about anyway." "Yeah."), and I pretty much hated everything else.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

This episode made Andy look like a complete asshole. I genuinely don't understand why they would make him behave that way, and how they expected us to react. We didn't know Jessica well, and there as no reason to be invested in that relationship, but that doesn't make her deserve that humiliation, or make her friend deserve to have her bachlorette party ruined.

This was my reaction as well. They needed to give us some reason for the urgency of Andy's breakup other than wanting to sleep with Erin for it not to come off terribly. Since they couldn't be bothered to make Jessica an actual human being other than "Obstacle blocking Andy and Erin", trying to make that last scene at the cabin seem romantic strikes me as almost sociopathic.

Edited by Col Bat Guano, Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:09 AM.

GreatGoogly

GreatGoogly

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

This was my reaction as well. They needed to give us some reason for the urgency of Andy's breakup other than wanting to sleep with Erin for it not to come off terribly. Since they couldn't be bothered to make Jessica an actual human being other than "Obstacle blocking Andy and Erin", trying to make that last scene at the cabin seem romantic strikes me as almost sociopathic.

If I may, while more hurtful to Jessica and disruptive to the bachelorette party, Andy screwed the pooch when he didn't defend Erin's character when Jessica mentioned - in front of everyone - the terrible things he said about her while he and Jessica were dating. If she had accepted the "I'm Gay" excuse or hadn't mentioned how Andy said that Erin wasn't marriage material or whatever it was, then Andy and Erin could have happily run off into the sunset. But somehow the public "You said Erin sucks" (to paraphrase) really needed Andy to step up at that point and not only defend Erin but also flat out admit that he and Erin were indeed and possibly always sort of were in love.

Maybe its old-timey of me, but if you want your relationship to suceed, you kind of have to enough guts to at least openly admit your love in front of a hostile crowd, particularly if the crowd thinks your love is an idiot or sub-par.

I actually felt worse for the awful magician - although Pam and Jim's sabotage of his act was cruelly funny.

Saracuda

Saracuda

Couch Potato

• Interests:heavy metal, fashion, various bastardizations of the American dream, guzzling beer (preferably not Bret's Brew).

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Again, it looks like Dwight and Jim are in agreement and are friends.

Yep! Jim and Dwight's relationship is my favorite one in the office. I loved them last night -- when Jim was on the phone with Pam and Dwight shouted in the background that they were "haulin' cube!" and then Jim explained that he and Dwight had started calling moving boxes "haulin' cube" because it sounded cooler. One of my favorite moments of the episode, because it made me imagine Jim and Dwight coming up with the phrase together. I love when they put their differences aside and just go with the flow of their reluctant friendship.

I actually liked Nellie at the end of the episode when she defended Jim and Pam.

Edited by Saracuda, Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:56 AM.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Learning about Nellie didn't make me sympathize more with her, but the way Jim and Dwight reacted to learning more about her made me like them more. I'm not sure they even like her more as a boss, but there's a big difference between not being so welcoming to an incompetent new boss and attacking a human being's most vulnerable point. If Jim hadn't tried to stop the meaner aspects of the party -- especially the one that was his fault -- then he would have been a jerk.

And I think I must now refer to carrying boxes as "haulin' cube."

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

But somehow the public "You said Erin sucks" (to paraphrase) really needed Andy to step up at that point and not only defend Erin but also flat out admit that he and Erin were indeed and possibly always sort of were in love.

Unfortunately, the last two years of the writers alternately ignoring and then resurecting the Andy/Erin relationship makes if difficult to care what they do at this point. If Andy had always been in love then why not admit that at the end of last season when Erin dumped Gabe? Or how about Erin stepping up at the end of S6 and apologize for her somewhat insane reaction to Andy being engaged to Angela and not date Gabe? The obstacles to their relationship have been ridiculous from the start and trying to make us admire Andy because he returns to the party to declare his true feelings for Erin is absurd.

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

He shouldn't have badmouthed Erin in a first place. Trying to make up for it by humiliating innocent party in front of all their friends doesn't make it better. I honestly can say I wouldn't find it romantic in Erin's place - when he's tired of her again and finds new gf, she knows already he's not above publicly saying how much better his new girlfriend is. The way man treats his exes is much more indicative of his character than the way he treats woman he's currently dying to screw. If Erin wasn't both emotionally and intellectually challenged I think she'd take note of that.

Oh, and Andy's lucky Jessica's parents weren't there...

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

I thought Dwight saying he should "Tweeter" was funny. Ditto with "haulin' cube." But... that's pretty much it.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

I thought Dwight saying he should "Tweeter" was funny. Ditto with "haulin' cube." But... that's pretty much it.

I laughed at the Tweeter line since Rainn has a pretty funny Tweeter account.

The Ryan d-bag line got me, too. Other than that, I got nothin'.

Since the show was initially about the story of Jim and Pam and/or Michael's jouney to find love, it should have ended there. I watch out of habit and to have a bit of a break on Thursday night. The show still ranks as an all-time favorite, but I'm hoping there's an ending out there ready to go.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

Like most, I loved the cold open because I've had that exact same conversation... about my father. I was at work where he also works and someone came in to look for him. I said he was outside the building touring around so he could catch up to him, that he was "tall, short grey hair, mustache...I think" and the guy was like "really? You don't know?" He's had a mustache my entire life but I could not picture his face in my mind about what it looked like.

Turns out I was picturing my dad with a larger mustache, which he had when I was a kid, and now it still exists but is much smaller so thats why it seemed he didnt have one...

I'd like so much for this show to get rid of Robert and Nellie. I rarely find anything they do funny and it seems while all the focus is on them to make them funny, they make the other cast characters look like assholes. I don't understand the need to add new people after Michael left.

TwizzWhizz11

TwizzWhizz11

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Jim and Dwight were the best part of this episode, by far.

"Do you think they call King-Sized sheets 'Presidential Sheets' in England? This is why I need a 'tweeter' account."

tripon

tripon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:57 AM

There was so many ways to handle Andy's breakup with Jessica. That was just mean, unsympathetic, and ultimately, not funny. I'll say one thing, Ron Swanson would never break up with a girl like that. Yeesh, Office writers, what the heck was that?

ClemBot 5000

ClemBot 5000

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

But I did remember that Stanley has a mustache. He has one of the most expressive faces in TV comedy.

Exactly! That's one of the things you just know! I even notice he's been trimming it thinner these past few seasons.

Overall, I was surprised how much I enjoyed this episode but this season has been extremely weak.

I can't believe Erin's worst-case breakup scenario in the car with Andy made me lose it! I think that's the only time she's been on my screen and made me laugh so hard! It even looked like Ed Helms genuinely cracked when she did it.

I really dont' think we need to see Nellie as manager; but then, I've always thought it would be great to have a straighter-laced manager like Jim play against the crazier Office personalities.

Jporr0121

Jporr0121

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

At first, I was with Jim about Stanley not having a mustache and I was totally wrong! It was funny that the writers found something that actual people weren't sure on. Or, maybe I'm just an idiot.

Anyways, I read this article and thought you guys would find it interesting... and a little scary.

NBC Rebooting The Office?

guyinpants

guyinpants

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Jporr0121 A reboot may actually make this show watchable again for me.

I tried to watch this episode but as soon as Nellie started her shtick along with Robert I turned to my wife and said "I can't watch this crap"

I do look forward to what the article says they have planned for Dwight.