8-19: "Support System" 2012.04.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

67 replies to this topic

stella1

stella1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

It seemed to me that Owen was, earlier in the season, trying to forgive and move on from the abortion, but Cristina's alliance with Teddy (particularly that stolen surgery where they both dissed him in the operating room and he heard them laugh behind his back) that seemed to be the point where his anger came to a head. What if "Be my person" was more about the fact that he lost Teddy as his best friend, his wife is allying herself with her against him. In my mind, support system is really about the fact that in the end, Cristina has one, but Owen doesn't anymore.

Thanks for saying that. No, he doesn´t have any support system. Little bits and pieces of support from Derek, Callie and Bailey, and from Richard profesionally here and there but that is nothing solid. He will break down, it is a question of time. JMHO

SO did overact, when you laugh at her and not feel for her. It's way too much.

I have to agree with others who thought that SO overplayed it a bit, it took me too far out of the scene to feel any emotional connection.

I didn´t laugh at her or Cristina at all but I was unpleasantly surprised by that performance in the bathroom scene. I deeply admire Sandra, she is immensely talented, she kills every scene, but something about the way she played the scene in the bathroom with that laughter and the way she delivered her line about crying over a boy seems ...I can´t even express it. Was it overacting? I don´t know. Does it have something to do with the direction she has been given? But Allison Liddi-Brown is an outstanding director. The writing failed her, there is no doubt about that.

Both KMK and SO were beyond fantastic in this episode as always when they act together but just this one scene with Cristina in the bathroom was uncomfortable to watch. To be honest I felt and I had the same look on my face as Owen did or as Kevin portrayed him in that scene, it was like I can´t really believe what I have just seen, quiet pain ... JMHO
Maybe a more subtle performance in that single scene would have a different effect on me, but this is how Sandra played Cristina in that scene and I respect that but I didn´t like it personally.

Edited by stella1, Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:16 PM.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

To Sandra's credit I think the "overacting" had more to do with the way this entire episode was edited. I mentioned it earlier in reference to them going from those flashback and breakdown the affair moments to the hospital lady's night parade. It was unevenly edited and made many scenes, not just the CO ones feel awkward for me. I think whoever did this had a bunch of scenes that might have been good on their own and stuck them together in a way that made them all look bad because they just did not seem to fit at all. Cristina going from needing to understand but not wanting to be touched to sudden hysterical laughter was just odd in context because it was too much for the episode. Reminded me of that leaves speech they gave to Brooke Smith that just didn't work to me, but had more to do with editing and writing than the actress' ability.

stella1

stella1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Writing definitely and editing as well. Especially the transition between the bathroom scene and the bed scene afterwards felt like something was missing. What made them go to bed from the bathroom, they were both completely different in the scene on the bed compared with the scene in the bathroom how it finished, like one whole scene is missing in between. I had the same feeling when Owen started talking about the PL after Meredith called and Cristina hung up and then we see him washing the dishes and she is making tea. The transitions between the scenes felt off like something is still missing to fill the void.I can´t express it in a better way.

I had the same feeling after watching the therapy session.

Edited by stella1, Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:24 PM.

drwyatt

drwyatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

I have this sense that the victim in the next episode and the CO scenes at home were originally supposed to be in the same episode ( you don't remember her name and the girl with no name), but there was too much material so they split it into two, and added all of the girls night out stuff to fill it out.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

I have this sense that the victim in the next episode and the CO scenes at home were originally supposed to be in the same episode ( you don't remember her name and the girl with no name), but there was too much material so they split it into two, and added all of the girls night out stuff to fill it out.

They weren't meant for the same episode . Owen's ONS was always for 8.19 - there was a side for her that got debated to death about who ' the pretty woman ' was for . And the whole episode next week revolves around the girl with no name and everyone is working on her .She's not just patient fodder that was having to be fitted in amongst the 2 other surgeries.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

It just occured to me while reading the recap, but the whole "ladies' night' confusion falls flat as a joke as back in Season Six, it was Arizona excitedly prompting Teddy (and Bailey, and Meredith and Christina apparently too) to "say 'yes' to Ladies' Night" with her and Callie. There was no confusion that time, and I don't see why there would be this time. It was an odd joke, and I wonder if it worked for anyone.

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

There was no confusion that time

Maybe Arizona was planing to take Teddy to a "girl bar" and that's why she was so grumpy at softball that night. Lol. No, actually I agree, that confused me as well.

HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

Did you see these pictures of a possible deleted scene released AFTER the episode aired? 8x19 "Support System" Deleted Scene
I think that that scene could have been the missing link to the whole "ladies' night" storyline.

Edited by HappyGoLucky, Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:27 PM.