8-19: "Support System" 2012.04.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

67 replies to this topic

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

"Support System" - A devastated Cristina presses Owen to confess the intimate details of his affair; Mark takes his new authority very seriously when he steps in as chief for the day and butts heads with Richard over a patient's liver transplant; and Callie deems Meredith ready for the boards, while the rest of the residents continue to stress about the exam. Meanwhile, Callie, Arizona and Bailey plan a much needed ladies night for Teddy, on "Grey's Anatomy," THURSDAY, APRIL 12 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Grey's Anatomy" stars Ellen Pompeo as Meredith Grey, Patrick Dempsey as Derek Shepherd, Sandra Oh as Cristina Yang, Justin Chambers as Alex Karev, Chandra Wilson as Miranda Bailey, James Pickens, Jr. as Richard Webber, Sara Ramirez as Callie Torres, Eric Dane as Mark Sloan, Chyler Leigh as Lexie Grey, Kevin McKidd as Owen Hunt, Jessica Capshaw as Arizona Robbins, Kim Raver as Teddy Altman, Jesse Williams as Jackson Avery and Sarah Drew as April Kepner.

I actually really like the use of flashback in the episode, strange because I was dreading it. Not saying I liked the overall C/O story but I thought the flashbacks were interlaced nicely. What I didn't like was that they kept cutting away from something serious to play with boards paranoia and other assorted jokes.

Also, small gripe but as a former librarian with many fellow librarians in my family, the lady in their medical library was highly unprofessional. First of all yes maintaining confidentiality is important but so is maintaining a respectful neutral tone and not getting an attitude. Also, no librarian worth their salt would handle those files the way she did.

Even as a Callie, Arizona and sometimes Teddy fan I did not care about ladies night. It was stupid from the start. I get that they needed comedy, but the broken-Lexie, beef-chief, and ladies night subplots were just three of a kind in sub par mediocre comedy.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

I love Sandra Oh.

Everyone else can take a seat.

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Sandra Oh was amazing tonight. She deserves all the awards for this episode.

I think Owen/Cristina aren't very popular as a couple with most viewers, but I love them simply because the actors are my two favourites on the show (I loved Kevin McKidd in Rome and Journeyman). I think they both were great tonight, and I even understand why it ended with Owen leaving, but what's left of my enjoyment of the show will decrease significantly if them being a couple is over for good.

That said, from a story perspective, I think a separation is exactly what Cristina needs right now to stay on track career-wise. If she fails her boards, if her career ends up in jeopardy because of this, then she'll really never forgive Owen (assuming she's written with any consistency).

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

In general, I thought it was just another "blah" episode. I did like Meredith bringing everyone together at the end. The unraveling fight between Cristina and Owen was well done. However, even though I think it's sacrilegious for me to say this, I didn't like Sandra Oh's laughing or crying when it went to the extremes. It struck me as not genuine.

Meredith knows Cristina so well, and Derek knows Meredith and Cristina so well. I'm glad Derek didn't say anything to Owen on the roof. It is very "guy-like" to avoid talking about personal things - Derek being there was enough.

The show is helped by fewer scenes with Teddy and April.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Owen and Cristina show tonight was boring, Sandra Oh who i thought was amazing a couple years ago, Just isn't anymore. The crying had me laughing, it was just bad acting all around. and the laughing part. like Seriously a waste of an episode.

beadgirl

beadgirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

I think Owen/Cristina aren't very popular as a couple with most viewers, but I love them simply because the actors are my two favourites on the show (I loved Kevin McKidd in Rome and Journeyman). I think they both were great tonight, and I even understand why it ended with Owen leaving, but what's left of my enjoyment of the show will decrease significantly if them being a couple is over for good.

That said, from a story perspective, I think a separation is exactly what Cristina needs right now to stay on track career-wise. If she fails her boards, if her career ends up in jeopardy because of this, then she'll really never forgive Owen (assuming she's written with any consistency).

I agree, which is why I'm hoping Christina can use this separation to kick ass on the Boards, and that at the end of the season they will reconcile. And, you know, learn how to communicate and compromise and accept and respect each other, like they should have been doing all along.

I hate how the writers have used abortion and cheating (two things I am completely opposed to) to add drama to their relationship (because apparently two bouts of PTSD and a hasty marriage wasn't enough), but I am finding the storyline nonetheless compelling because Oh and McKidd are so very talented.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

Since when does "ladies night" automatically mean lesbian outing? Color me confused.

Where is Sandra Oh's Emmy???

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Zola continues to steal the show. Last week it was Zola in pajamas, this week, Zola in a beanbag! The rest of the storylines sucked.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Sandra Oh brought it this episode and reminded me that this show will die without her. I liked the C/O scenes for once this episode - they felt real.

I enjoyed the Boards studying storyline, and love that they found a natural way to bring the residents back to Casa Grey ( except it should be the 'Torres Method').

Hated the Ladies Night storyline because I've always liked the friendship between those four, and the fact that they wanted to blow off Teddy's first night out/ moving on for a night of nookie was just so offensive to me. 45 minutes, Bailey? Come on!

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Since when does "ladies night" automatically mean lesbian outing? Color me confused.

From what I understand, the confusion was "girls night" v "ladies night" I have always understood "ladies night" to be a group of female friends hanging out and "girls night" to be a designated night that the bar caters specifically to females (often associated with a night catering to girls who like girls). Either way, it was an infantile joke and far too forced to garner a laugh.

Edited by lovlylizzy, Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:34 PM.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

I just can't see after tonight how this show could last without the connections of Meredith, Derek, Cris and Alex. I may not always like their storylines but the characters history and chemistry is just flawless. Even when these character do stupid things it's still them. I hope they all stay because as much as some of the other characters are great they don't have the IT factor for me. JMO of course.

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

I didn't like Sandra Oh's laughing or crying when it went to the extremes.

I bought it. The crazy crying reminded me of Cristina wanting out of her wedding dress. Or post-miscarriage when she couldn't stop crying.

I'm glad Derek didn't say anything to Owen on the roof. It is very "guy-like" to avoid talking about personal things - Derek being there was enough.

I was hoping Derek would hit him when he was rolling his sleeves up.

Zola continues to steal the show.

She was so cute when she smiled as Patrick picked her up.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Since I FF'd most of the CO stuff, I have no say on that except I was glad that he left and that SO is still brilliant as ever.

Loved the little MD parts of it. I had to laugh at Derek being a bit of a gossip girl but overall enjoyed the conversation in daycare and thought the whole thing was adorable. Zola is so adorable! And I love her wardrobe. Also, I felt a bit awkward at his "silent" support for Owen given that Owen is sort of the "Addison" of that situation but I guess it's to sell the friendship. I did enjoy the whole Mark is Chief over Derek. PD's face was priceless trying not to answer back. Also, I like this non-suffocating co-dependent version of the MerCris friendship. I hope they keep it that way.

Not care about Ladies' Night nor using Lexie as a data source.

I just can't see after tonight how this show could last without the connections of Meredith, Derek, Cris and Alex.

I agree. Very much agree.

I was hoping Derek would hit him when he was rolling his sleeves up.

THIS!

Edited by AnitaMC86, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:03 PM.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

I would like to know what Shonda was getting at having Owen not remember the ONS name. We know he pretended not to remember Cristina's name when he came back from Iraq. Kissing the woman in the same alley he first kissed Cristina when he came back from Iraq was laying it on thick.

Unless his PTSD is coming back or something

Edited by Have At It, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:12 PM.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I thought the Owen/Chris scenes were very sad but well done. I like them as a couple and hope they can find their way back to each other. Kevin and Sandra are both good actors and I can believe in them as a couple. Thought the ladies night stuff was boring. Glad to see Meredith helping out her fellow students. Good episode in general.

Keial

Keial

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

I just couldn't watch the C/O scenes. I don't like them together so I couldn't care less what happens to their horrible and misguided marriage. I really with C/A would have a bit of a storyline instead of only being scenery. Mark as the chief was a joke and I did not take him seriously. Owen must have been seriously out of it to put him in charge. Just goes to show that he is lacking in basic decision making skills. It was just a blah episode all around.

Somerset

Somerset

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

Mark as the chief was a joke and I did not take him seriously. Owen must have been seriously out of it to put him in charge. Just goes to show that he is lacking in basic decision making skills.

Mark hijacked it. Owen told Derek on the roof that he wanted him to substitute as Chief.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

Sandra Oh is brilliant. I repeated that (aloud) about 10 times. An actress who can turn a storyline that I'm tired of and make me, for an hour, care because of her! Cristina has always been my favorite character and she continues to be because of Sandra Oh. Give this woman an Emmy and Golden Globe, she's perfection.

Edited by Samantha84, Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:34 AM.

Keial

Keial

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

Mark hijacked it. Owen told Derek on the roof that he wanted him to substitute as Chief.

I missed that part because I turned the channel. That actually seems like something Mark would do.

My criticism of Owen remains.

DeniseSB10468

DeniseSB10468

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:10 AM

While I thought Owen was insanely chauvinistic in his assumptions about Cristina eventually changing her mind about kids and beyond stupid to blame her for hanging on to her convictions on the matter, I still had some sympathy for the pain he was supposedly suffering over the loss of his baby and his dream for the way he would live the rest of his life. Yeah, he was being a jerk in some ways, but at least he was trying to work things through. Now, after the character rape we've seen in this episode, I think Cristina should run, not walk, to the nearest divorce lawyer.

1) Owen's not a casual cheater, as evidenced by how hard he worked to avoid Teddy when he couldn't be sure of his self-control, even when he and Cristina were only dating. This means that his motivation had to be overwhelmingly strong for him to hook up with that slutty blonde--and his motivation was to hurt Cristina.

2) Yeah, I can understand Owen wanting to hurt Cristina because he's angry and hurting. But turning this into a tit for tat situation--we've hurt each other so now we're even--diminishes their fight about the abortion into nonsense. If cheating makes Owen feel better about the abortion, then his fight with Cristina wasn't about what he wants for his life, for their life together. It was--is--just about getting his way.

It was obvious long ago that Crowen would have been doomed in real life. Marrying WHILE one or both of them is dealing with PTSD issues? Unable to agree on whether to have kids? Please. But then, this is Shondaland, where MerDer, another couple that spent years torturing each other instead of cutting their losses and finding people with whom they could actually be compatible, has been the exemplar for Twu Luv even though (except for their love of Zola) the only thing holding them together has been hot sex. Forgive me for my cynicism, but athleticism in the bedroom (e.g., broken headboards and standing on one's head) goes only so far in holding together a relationship. Except in Shondaland.

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

Sorry but I am SO over Christina! Someone (let alone a freakin doctor!) who never wants kids to get pregnant twice just bugs the crap out of me, and when she was crying I was laughing and cringing when she was laughing!

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Was it a separation? Owen's speech at the end--- "I'll never love another woman, I'll always be in love with you" made me think they're splitting for good.

The abortion -- yeesh. Couples need to decide what their plans regarding children are BEFORE marriage. If they don't want children, they need reliable birth control. Even the most vehement pro-choice advocates will say that abortion is NOT a method of birth control. No method is 100% effective, but Cristina has had TWO unplanned pregnancies now!

While I don't personally agree with her choice to terminate the pregnancy, there's plenty of blame to go around there. They didn't discuss plans ahead of time, and finally agreed on the abortion. Owen needs to let it go. Cheating on her to "punish" her doesn't make them even, and doesn't fix the hurt. This couple was doomed from the start, and probably IS better splitting up.

littlefini1

littlefini1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

The whole "cheating just to hurt her" was unbelievable to me.
He cheated because it was right in front of him and at that time he was going through a traumatic experience of his own.
I would say he cheated to comfort himself, not to hurt her. He cheated to escape the predicament he found himself in and that was wrong but that had nothing to do with trying to hurt her. At that time I would say he was trying to find a way to escape his tortured mind and hurting her didn't enter into it.

Also his "You are the love of my life" was laughable because on Shonda's Scandal which aired right after Greys, she had the creepy President saying the exact same line about her new Wonder Woman. So Owen was portrayed as a creep and he has joined forces with Shonda's latest creep.
Maybe the writer has a deep seated hatred of men.

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

I liked the episode. I am rooting for the Cristina/Owen split to be permanent but I thought the scenes last night were really good. I don't recall Grey's ever showing a couple actually talk any issue through before. Great to see adults actually communincating in a relationship for a change.

I liked the residents getting together at the end to study. I thought it was a realistic way to bring the group together without having them act 12. I would have liked to have seen a scene or 2 of the study time.

I could have done without ladies night but I did like Arizona during the storyline. Arizona has grown on me. She's a good balance for the other female attendings.

Mark as chief was ok. It had potential to be better. Personally I've grown tired of Mark being picked on as a doctor. Its been established that Plastics generates a lot of money for SGMW and that Mark is one of the top in his field. That being said, I did enjoy he and Derek going back and forth. I always enjoy scenes between the two of them and liked that Derek acknowledged Mark did well at the end.

I find it so strange how Meredith and Derek talk about Cristina so often when they are about to have sex. It wasn't just this episode it happens quite a bit since season four or so. They also talk about others. Its bizarre pillow talk.

Sandra Oh is brilliant.

Completely agree. I find her to be the best actress on the show.

Edited by zenyatta, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:08 AM.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Okay, if Cristina had an abortion without first consulting Owen, then I would feel she was unfeeling and uncaring. But, that is not what happened. What happened is that she found herself pregnant and went to her husband basically saying what she has told him from the start of their relationship that she did not want to be a mother. She then said the abortion was what she wanted but that she would not do it if Owen did not want her to. She also then made it clear that she wasn't going to grow into motherhood which she had also explained beforehand. My point is Owen knew and has known who he married and knowing all that he still went with her to the clinic and held her hand through the whole process. Yet, now he suddenly wants to act as if she came home and said "surprise, I aborted your baby". That is not the way it went down and he doesn't get to have an I was angry at you affair when he supported her through the whole thing then went on acting as if everything was just peachy until suddenly he decided it wasn't fair after all.

If Owen had a problem with it he should be consistent about it, why show up to support your spouse aborting a child you created together if you don't support it. I think it is inhumanly cruel to create the illusion of support when you actually think something else entirely. If someone's actions are going to affect the way you view them and treat them then that is something you should be upfront about. I think Cristina did what she could to do what was right and Owen just lied both to her and to himself.

Stryker

Stryker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

I liked this episode; it had more substance than many of the previous ones. I felt the Cristina/Owen scenes, especially with the flashbacks, were done very well although the hysterical crying / laughing were a bit overdone. I'm hoping this is the end of this relationship as I can't stand Owen. From the start of their relationship, he has been very aggressive with Cristina (their "intense" kissing scenes) and the scene with him trying to comfort her in bed cemented that for me. He seems the type to snap and throw her against a wall. (surprising they haven't gone that angle and hoping this doesn't give Shonda any ideas)

Chief Sloan was all sorts of hot. Loved that he slithered his way in to the position, typical Mark.

End scene was great and I'm glad Cristina joined Meredith and company. Could have done without all the ladies night scenes; felt like useless filler.

It's hard to believe that this is the end of the season and possibly some of the characters since we don't know who is coming back next year. The whole season felt very lackluster and was a big disappointment in general. I can only hope this episode is the start of something good to end this year.

scatteroflight

scatteroflight

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I think it's time for them to split...the relationship was doomed from the wedding. But I would have liked to have seen it happen b/c they are fundamentally too different instead of the 'easy out' of infidelity.

This is my problem with it, too. I think Cristina and Owen are just fundamentally different people. They have different values, and they want different things out of life. Regardless of how Cristina has softened in some ways, at her core, she's still very much determined to be a cardio god(dess). Conversely, Owen wants babies and a more domestic life. Neither of these things is wrong, but putting them together is like mixing oil and water. In addition, the idea that you can change someone's essence baffles me. If you need to change your partner, they're obviously not who you want or need them to be in the first place.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

I loved this episode. Great acting without the irritating monologues from every other character. I didn't care why Cristina and Owen were fighting or who was to blame. I was too caught up in the scene. Kevin McKidd and Sandra Oh had me from "then what happened?" They knocked it out of the park.

Observations: Sloane was so clean cut in the morning. Did he really grow all that facial hair in 8 hours or did I miss a day by multi-tasking?

Kudos to the set designer. Cristina and Owen's wardrobe blended nicely with the decor and made for a warm scene amongst the cold vibes.

dvrsavedtv

dvrsavedtv

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

I found Cristina's crying to be overly dramatic. WHere is that tough badass women we met so many seasons ago? This is just a sad little girl crying her eyes over a guy. Yeah he's her husbband but I would expect her to woman up and face the issue like an adult. Bawling on the bed while he watched her was so stupid and so not Cristina.

The laughing I found overly dramatic as well. I am really starting to dislike her character. She needs to realize she has no business being married. Marriage is a committment, you have to come to agreement on things, sometimes that will mean giving in to something you want. She wants to be married but behave like a single woman. Owen cheating on her was no big surprise, in fact I am shocked he didn't do it before. She's angry and annoying and cruel.

Oh and why on earth have C & O never mentioned that they got married while she was suffering from PTSD? In fact, Owen is to blame for all of this. He proposed to her in that vulnerable state. He should have known better. Cristina was not in her right mind to get married.

The rest of the episode as boring to me. "Breaking" Lexie was stupid.

Edited by dvrsavedtv, Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:41 PM.

Gusto

Gusto

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

I liked this episode. It had some substance and the pace was good. Well written IMO.

Cristina/Owen. It needed to be done. I wish they would keep them separated for a looong time, until all the wounds heal. Cause they were seriously toxic together. And unwatchable. Anyway, MAJOR kudos to Sandra Oh! She completely had me in tears while Cristina was crying her heart out in the bed. God, she's good. Give her an Emmy please. Also, that second telephone scene with her and Meredith was beautiful yet painful. Love their friendship, it reminds me of me and my bff (except we are not as dark and twisty and don't have sleepovers while our boyfriends are also in the bed...)Anyway, there's a profound understanding there, loyalty that's amazing and truly unique nowadays. They have each other's back. Us girls need to stick together, right? I hope Cristina catches up on her studying now.

Callie and Arizona were so cute and flirty this ep. they were fun to watch. Also loved the scene in the park, with Callie and Sofia. We don't get to see that a lot, do we? I hope there's more of that. And I enjoyed Bailey/Callie scenes! These two are made of win, another good friendship. I LOL at their exchange "Where did you think we got the idea?" - "I don't know what you're talking about." Gotta love Bailey, when she's not in her preaching mode.

Mer/Der were lovely and hot, at the same time. It's good to see them in a happy place. I really like that the actors are so comfortable around each other - the eye contact, body language etc. They're a good match and it would be a shame if they don't come back for another season. I would still watch, but still. And PD biting that apple in the cafeteria? Sexy as hell!

Not nearly enough of Alex. That story was a bit lame. Mark as a chief was a snooze fest, after all. The only good thing about it was Chief Webber's little speech in the OR. Keeping people alive is what matters the most. Right you are Webber. Now come back and be chief s again.

Wow, that was long. I'm off now.

Edited by Gusto, Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:05 PM.