13-17: "Justice Denied" 2012.04.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

29 replies to this topic

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

From TV Guide:

While investigating a rape, Detective Benson (Mariska Hargitay) recognizes the suspect's M.O. from a previous case she solved; the SVU team is forced to reopen the old case and reexamine the evidence, even though the jailed rapist confessed during his interrogation. Also starring: Danny Pino (Det. Nick Amaro), Kelli Giddish (Det. Amanda Rollins), Richard Belzer (Sergeant John Munch), Ice T (Det. Odafin "Fin" Tutuola), and Dann Florek (Capt. Don Cragen).

You know, I like Amaro, but does he have to be the one who's right over everything?

That said, I'm still loving Fin and Rollins's rapport.

Good on the writers for sticking with the sex crimes throughout the episode.

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:23 AM

Haven't watched this one yet but were Munch in an episode?! Even more were Munch and Cragen in an episode together?! *faintsfromshock*

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:50 AM

Cragen was in it, but no Munch.

Sparkalie

Sparkalie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:29 AM

The defense attorney in me just cringed when they said that the guy in prison had been interrogated for 9 hours. Any decent defense attorney would have challenged the confession before trial (they had said that the guy took back the confession after he was convicted).

I was sad that Olivia and Harry Connick Jr are done so fast. She actually seemed happy for a change.

I wish there had been more Finn in the episode. He's one of my faves.

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:37 AM

Cragen was in it, but no Munch.

Damn that lying synopsis. I'll have a watch anyways but it would be nice if he actually showed up in an episode.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

MH really need to stop with the Botox. When she has to "cry," she makes really weird faces because her forehead doesn't move. It's distracting.

The makeup on the most recent victim who had been splashed with ammonia was really harrowing. I have a fear of going blind (I wear contacts and my vision is stable, but I have a huge fear of it deteriorating) so that was hard for me to watch.

stillbored

stillbored

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I don't understand why Liv was the one taking all of the blame for the innocent guy being convicted. In my opinion she's pretty low on the totem pole of deciding who is found guilty. She wasn't the only detective interrogating the perp, she just happened to be the one to get the confession. (It seemed odd that Liv never talked to the victim, she was just going by the color of the scarf that the color blind officer put into evidence. And why didn't anybody check with the victim to see what color the scarf was , I would've thought she would've had to go over all the details. I also don't see how the suspect saying 'green' scarf when it was supposed red showed that he was innocent. The suspect could have not remembered what color the scarf was initially and then just said green because that's what the detectives were saying or he could've thought it was red then after hearing the detectives say green he just figured he was wrong.

Then the ADA had to bring him before a judge (I have no idea why the innocent guy didn't recant before being sentenced since I thought you had to go before the judge to officially plead guilty nor why didn't his lawyer try to throw out the confession after he had been questioned for 9 hours).

I really don't think the innocent guy in jail was much Olivia's fault, I would blame the ADA (or DA), the judge and the guys lawyer before I blamed Liv.

I also didn't think it was fair that the second victim basically blamed Liv that she had been attacked. Even if they hadn't thrown the innocent guy in jail, there was no guarantee that they would've caught the real perp. They only managed to narrow down what ship he was on because of 5 attacks in 5 ports, and the first victim had been his first attack.

I had to laugh that they broke up because it would be unethical (because he'd be reviewing Liv's cases) but I didn't think the relationship was ethical to begin with. And how did the defence lawyer realize the ADA and Liv was sleeping together? Just because the ADA used the same term that Olivia had the day before.??

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

And how did the defence lawyer realize the ADA and Liv was sleeping together? Just because the ADA used the same term that Olivia had the day before.??

He'd been with Olivia all day (at the prison and "on the train") so the only time Haden would have heard Olivia say anything would have been "last night." Of course, "last night" doesn't necessarily mean "last night in bed after sex"; Haden and Olivia could have been friends having a drink or talking on the phone, but Haden didn't contradict Andre Braugher's assumption that they were romantically involved.

Soulonfire

Soulonfire

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

The rope man exchange between Finn and Rollins was one of the best moments this show has had in years. It just felt real.

If they are going to start reviewing cases, you know they're going to have a field day with Stabler's cases.

Didn't Ellis and Olivia have a connection earlier this season? Maybe he'll swoop in now.

All in all, another good episode in probably the best season since S5 or so. It's a shame that the show is apparently tanking in the ratings.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

I loathe that I'm even posting this but what is going on with Mariska's face? I know what expressions Olivia is supposed to make but Mariska's not pulling it off. If it is indeed botox she needs to stop immediately. Actresses in general need to leave botox alone! I think Madeline Stowe said it perfectly that being an actress your facial expressions are as apart of it as your dialogue delivery, how can you express yourself when your face doesn't move.
It's so true. It's also distracting in this case.
Again I loathe that I'm posting this but Mariska has put on significant weight, at least 10-15lbs. I'm not one of those you have to be stick thin to be beautiful women (because I'm not) but its a noticeable change. Nothing wrong with her, she looks beautiful. It's, just as I said, noticeable.

AddiePray

AddiePray

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

You know, I like Amaro, but does he have to be the one who's right over everything

I dunno I think it's refreshing to actually have someone point out to 'Queen of Self-Righteousness' that she may just have made a mistake or two after years of bullying confessions out of suspects for 20 years. She has never had to face any reprucussions for her actions. I now loathe Benson and wish she had retired and we could watch Rollins instead.

The only bright spot is that I didn't have to watch another kissing scene with Harry. Now that was cringent.

And you're right the botox thing is really getting bad. Its been going on for years and discussed quite a bit on these threads in the past so you don't have to feel bad because if you have eyes you can tell that she has put way too much crap in her face. Her expressions have become bizarre and when she's tearing up (which is constantly) it looks like her face is melting. I thought she looked particularly bad last night. And even the oblivious Mr Pray said it looked like her butt could have it's own zip code. She certainly doesn't have to be stick thin and even in the past she wasn't stick thin. She looked great in the flashback to season 5 they showed. Wardrobe must be running out of ideas how to disguise the weight.

gumboot

gumboot

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

I thought this was a good strong episode in itself, but rather strange in the way that it contradicted our previous experience in showing Olivia as a bully and the department as slipshod and half-assed. (The mistake with the scarf is exactly the kind of thing that could happen in real life, in my opinion - though hopefully a defence counsel would catch it.) It raises the question, whose POV have we been seeing things from all these years? I could imagine an alternative retelling of old episodes which showed that really, STABLER was the nice one...

Francie Nolan

Francie Nolan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Was it just my imagination or did Liv actually ask Ellis if one of the reasons he was so gung ho about exposing her relationship with David was because he had a thing for her?

If so I admire the hell out of him for being so polite and understated in correcting her assumption instead of laughing in her face and screaming "It's not all about you, bitch!"

NirgDrah

NirgDrah

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

So I watched this show again, I lost interest when Liv hooked up with Harry Connick jr. I'm not sure what to think, the fire is gone. Mariska seemed to try hard enough but she wasn't quite hitting it.
The story was aright, technically, but it wasn't really written as enticingly as it could have been either. There is just to much drama in this show now.

Things have improved from last season which was actually a stealth parody of SVU, it's not that anymore. But now it's all soapy and emotional, and I still want Bucthy McFabulous back.

And why can't Liv just get a cat? and a nice old neighbor lady who feeds the cat when she's out all night forcing false confessions out of people? More drama than that just takes the edge of the seriousness of the subject matter. The raping is enough entertainment, I really don't need to be emotionally involved in Liv's love life, I just want her to catch the baddies so I can feel safe at night.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Was it just my imagination or did Liv actually ask Ellis if one of the reasons he was so gung ho about exposing her relationship with David was because he had a thing for her?

I kind of loved that moment, if only for the sheer moxie of Liv's comment. Yes Olivia, he's just jealous, that's why he is doing this. It couldn't be because his innocent client has been behind bars for 8 years. It's all because he's crazy jealous and out for revenge.

In some ways, the episode made little sense. During the entire conviction process, not one person actually looked at the evidence from the rape to see it was a red scarf and not a green one? That seemed off. Also I thought Ellis jumped a little too quickly from David making the same comment as Olivia to knowing for certain they must be sexing each other up.

Irregardles

Irregardles

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

The rope man exchange between Finn and Rollins was one of the best moments this show has had in years. It just felt real.

I think the answer to everything is More Rollins.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Heh, forget keeping SVU going. We just need a buddy cop spinoff for these two, and we'll be golden.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

If so I admire the hell out of him for being so polite and understated in correcting her assumption instead of laughing in her face and screaming "It's not all about you, bitch!"

Haha, seriously. I was like "WUT?". I couldn't believe my ears.

Agreed. I LOVE those two. And, frankly, I like Benson with Amaro as well, he does appear to be right about many things but he's messed up too (I don't remember which episode but there was an issue with the gun of a perp? Something he did without following procedure, and I think it was Ellis who pointed it out?). I like the way he and Benson interact, there's still the tension of him being "new" and replacing Stabler and he's not afraid to speak up against her, but they have respect for each other, I like how that's going.

I won't comment on any of the practicalities and the details of the case, after 13 years I know better, heh. I just go with the flow. I'll just say it was good to see a lil' more of Cragen. Also, Andre Braugher is a good addition to the cast and in an interesting role, a non-sleazy defense attorney. Harry Connick Jr... well, he won't be missed.

Frankly I'm surprised I'm still enjoying this show; this season has been very solid and this episode was no exception.

wormdog101

wormdog101

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

Compare the difference between Wrath and this episode. Although Liv is upset she sent a wrongly accused man to jail, in Wrath she is all steal and grit although her veneer gets worn away bit by bit. It is the wearing down of the veneer that makes that episode outstanding. In this one, she is adamant about how right she is and then when the big scarf issue arises, we get Liv with the strange Botox face trying to emote. Her mouth always seems to go down like a bizarre frown when she is trying to emote. Had they had her question herself all along, it would have been a better episode.

The best part of the episode was indeed the rope interaction between Rollins and Finn and of course, an appearance by the one, the only, Butchy McFabulous.

I second the motion for more Rollins please.

Edited by wormdog101, Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:28 PM.

PictureItSicily

PictureItSicily

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Olivia is so convinced she's right she can't even entertain the notion that she got it wrong. It's more plausible to her that Omar either broke out of jail or, when she is told he's in custody, that he must have an accomplice willing to commit a copycat rape to exonerate him. Seriously woman? I know there have been cases of copycat attacks, but that was the logical leap for her? Miss Statistics must know the percentage of copycat crimes compared to percentages of false confessions. What is more likely? Are you hearing hoofbeats, Livy?

And her acting like she's never gotten it wrong before. Did she forget Eric Plummer? He's hardly the only one who has had his life destroyed by Olivia Benson's tunnel vision.

Oh, and asking Ellis if he's jealous of her and David? Laugh out loud moment of the night for me. His concern couldn't possibly be the innocent man that just spent eight years in jail.

rory

rory

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I just finished watching this episode, interesting that CSI which airs opposite it also had an episode this week about a guy who did 8 years for a crime he didn't commit. One thing this show did right that CSI got wrong is that they actually showed us that the wrongly convicted guy got out of jail at the end. What irritated me no end was Liv's refusal to believe that the guy might possibly have falsely confessed. Because that never happens in real life. I was so glad he was innocent and Liv wasn't proven right. Also glad Liv and HCJ broke up, hope we're done with him.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:50 AM.
Removed duplicate text

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

Compare the difference between Wrath and this episode.

And her acting like she's never gotten it wrong before. Did she forget Eric Plummer? He's hardly the only one who has had his life destroyed by Olivia Benson's tunnel vision.

Thank you! Wrath, that's it! I was going crazy trying to remember the title of that episode, yes, the previous one where Liv sent an innocent man to prison. I guess she's forgotten all about it (or, the writers have!)

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

I was sad that Olivia and Harry Connick Jr are done so fast. She actually seemed happy for a change.

Much agreed. Why can't they let her just be happy? This bugged me on "Cold Case" too. Just let the damn woman have love already.

I liked the expression on the prisoner's face when his conviction was vacated, well drug dealer from "Weeds." I agree that Mariska needs to give up the face fillers. I didn't realize she was supposed to be crying until I read it here.

Edited by tvallthetime, Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:44 PM.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I stopped watching this show a couple of seasons ago because I couldn't stand how Stabler and Benson could do whatever the hell they wanted to and there were no repercussions. When they got rid of Stabler, I thought I'd try it again. Seems like Olivia hasn't changed any. Bitch is self-righteous. Geez! How logical is it that a man got out of jail, committed a rape, got BACK in jail in order to be seen at check-in OR have a man TRAIN another man on how to commit the rape in his "style"....whatever. All of this as opposed to Olivia POSSIBLY being wrong. Is it NEVER possible for her to be wrong? I can't stand her. I might have to take this off my DVR after the next episode if it does not get better for me.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Geez! How logical is it that a man got out of jail, committed a rape, got BACK in jail in order to be seen at check-in OR have a man TRAIN another man on how to commit the rape in his "style"....whatever.

The most bizarre thing for me is that Body of Proof on ABC did a very similar storyline this week. The main character sent a murderer to jail, another murder is committed while he is still in jail, suggesting either a copycat or that he was not the killer, and it turns out that the guy had someone on the inside who let him out to commit the murder, and then locked him back up again to give him an alibi. We found out that all this was a plot by the murderer to suggest that he was innocent so he could get out of jail.

Not that this excuses Liv acting as though it was completely impossible for her to make a mistake, but maybe she just watched that show and it explains why she concocted such a weird theory as to why the guy had to be the rapist.

Ms Hepburn

Ms Hepburn

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

If you've ever seen Ice and that actress banter on his reality shoe Ice loves Coco, you can tell they have a funny and natural friendship. It most definitely translates to screen.

Also, am I the only one that thinks Benson and Ellis had a chemistry together? About a thousand times more than HCJ.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

If they are going to start reviewing cases, you know they're going to have a field day with Stabler's cases.

I wonder if there will be any follow-up of this DA review bureau (or if it will be like that case from a few years ago where someone was able to fake DNA and it was supposed to be a big game changer) or if Harry Conic Jr. will never be heard from again. I am totally ok with the second option. Also after watching this show for 13 years, I don't believe at all that Benson could make a guy confess to a crime he didn't do. It made it especially bad when it was an episode that featured the man who used to play Frank Pembleton and actually could get someone to confess to something they didn't do.

Bri059

Bri059

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

I think Mariska looks awesome. I just watched her on Today Show and she looks hot. I will say it again, I believe Mariska is playing it tired. It was even in the script a previous episode. On screen she looks haggard and tired, off screen she's hot. The lighting etc of the show all add to this.

This certainly wasn't my favorite episode of the season, but like AddiePray, I enjoyed seeing Olivia have to admit she made a mistake. Also I really liked how Amaro told Olivia to back off the suspect. Stabler would've joined in further.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

Was I the only one who was distracted by the choice of make-up for the victims' eye area? Ammonia splashed in the eyes could permanently cloud the cornea (surface of the eye you see through) but I doubt inflamed, puffy eyelids would last beyond a week.
Translucent, white contact lenses would have been a better choice IMO.
Maybe the same make-up artist went a little crazy with the Botox on the nose-to-mouth lines Olivia would need to cry.

Anyway. If this was a show about a different dystopian society, the real perp should've had to give at least one of his corneas to a victim.

I was a fan of the show, Life, in which a wrongly convicted guy was given a million bucks for his trouble. Is it a sign of the economic times that freed, innocent prisoners only get apologies these days on TV?

Hey, maybe Olivia watches Body of Proof and got the idea of the guy in prison's conviction getting overturned by him sneaking out to murder someone in his style.

Maybe she was supposed to make the suggestion to Ellis that he would expose her romantic linkage out of jealousy to imply that she could claim his spurned lust for her was motivating him to make false accusations. If so, I'm glad they didn't go there and just left the scene the way it was with the little hint of a connection between them.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Bored this morning, so I watched. Now it's going to bug me which episode the opening scene/flashback was from--because I remember that scene.

Was it just me or was David's behavior toward Olivia more like that of a teenager who's sneaking around and doesn't want anyone to know they're dating/having sex, than an adult? The way he wouldn't make eye contact and kept calling her "detective"?

So, now cops and DA's or rather ADAs aren't allowed to date, huh? Good to know.

I noticed the trial judge/judge who refused to let DNA evidence in, was a recurring judge on the Mothership. I'd much rather see Ptrovsky, Bradlee, etc. thank you very much. Well, not like I watch this show anymore, unless I'm bored and need to kill some time...

Damn, but I still miss Elliot. Liv and Elliot didn't start to become bad cops until the Season 9 or so...