11-27: "Top 7 Performances" 2012.04.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

94 replies to this topic

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

And although no one has any proof either way, I'm pretty sure his voters are the dreaded frau, not teenagers.

It's probably because I would fit into the "frau" demographic myself, but I just have a very hard time believing that grown women have the same level of hormone-driven zeal as pre-teen girls and teenagers, but even more importantly, that they have the same free time or energy at 10 pm, to power-vote for hours for a contestant on a reality show. I can see them feeling cougarish about P2 (I'd fit into that category, too), but after the show is over at 10:01? I really don't give a crap who wins the night. It's just a show and these kids are all just contestants on it. Like you, I'd like to see the proof of who is voting for whom, with demographics and percentages.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

It's probably because I would fit into the "frau" demographic myself, but I just have a very hard time believing that grown women have the same level of hormone-driven zeal as pre-teen girls and teenagers

According to Richard Rushfield's book 2 years ago (I think it was), the voters are predominately women over 25, believe it or not. Hey, hormones aren't just for the young!

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:36 AM

I have to say that Hollie, Josh, and Jessica's rendition of Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger" was one of the few performances I've enjoyed this season.

They made it better than the original. I could have done w/o Jessica in this, but Hollie & Josh have great chemistry and allows Hollie to showcase her best because Josh puts her at ease. This would be my final 2.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Phil can't really carry a tune, as far as I can tell, which is why he hasn't tried to show any versatility. I actually read him as kind of lacking confidence, despite the 'complacent' charges that keep being lobbed at him. He seems to know he 'doesn't have the best voice' (no, really, Phil?)and having found a style that works for him, he doesn't seem to want to risk stretching his mediocre equipment, so to speak.

I agree that I think he thinks he's not the best and doesn't have a great range, but I disagree that he can't carry a tune. When he sings it straight without any of the backup band (like his first lines of Somebody That I Used to Know, or the Maroon 5 song before it picked up) he has a really nice, smooth-ish voice. It's only when he gets super into it and it picks up that he falls into his growl which can lead him astray.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

I agree that I think he thinks he's not the best and doesn't have a great range, but I disagree that he can't carry a tune. When he sings it straight without any of the backup band (like his first lines of Somebody That I Used to Know, or the Maroon 5 song before it picked up) he has a really nice, smooth-ish voice. It's only when he gets super into it and it picks up that he falls into his growl which can lead him astray.

I agree and this is my problem with him. He sounds fine when he's singing the super simple parts of a song, but whenever he's asked to show more range, he either doesn't do it or devolves into yelling.