11-27: "Top 7 Performances" 2012.04.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

94 replies to this topic

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Skylar – First female to play guitar since Bowersox, so she gets some points for that; it was also a good way to differentiate herself from the other females on this season. She’s becoming kind of a guilty pleasure of mine if only because out of the remaining contestants, she always is great with her conviction and emotion performance wise.

Colton – So… Phillip or Colton, Jimmy? How about neither? That should be an option. This performance was really strong technically and he had some really good moments in there. However, in the long run, I just don’t think what Colton does is based in any sort of emotion. It doesn’t resonate with me and he a bit too faux rocker for me to get behind completely. But he would fit in as a mainstreamed version of indie rock.

Duet #1 – Elise and Phillip’s duet had this really cool retro vibe and almost Tim Burton imagery about the whole thing. I loved it; if they don’t win they should collaborate after the tour. God, I wish I could pinpoint who Elise reminded me of there, someone from the 90s, like Dolores O’Riordan meets Gwen Stefani from No Doubt’s ska days.

Jessica – I’d be happy if I never had to deal with her personality again or the IDOL edit of her; I feel like I know more about what the judges and Jimmy think about her more than about Jessica herself. Having said that, girl can sing her ass off. And she almost fell off the piano. I didn’t get J.Lo’s critique; she just wants people to oversing all the time?

Joshua – I thought it was a bad song choice; way too manic with too much going on arrangement wise. I think that Bruno Mars song is so stylized to Bruno Mars. Joshua did keep up with the song very well though. I can’t believe the judges gave him a standing O for that!

Duet #2 – I guess the theme for duets is the women bury the guys vocally. Damn, Skylar, don’t blow your voice out. Also, Bandzilla was out in full force on this.

Hollie – Loved the song choice on her (for once). I wish she hadn’t brought the tempo down, because I think it would’ve lessened the apparent – though minor – pitch problems.

Phillip – DMB covers Maroon 5 with guest star Duke Silver. There were pitch issues here that I’m annoyed got overlooked for the Phil flair of it all by Steven, considering he went after Hollie for it. However, J.Lo gave negative feedback to a male contestant! Alert the media!

Trio – Yellers yelling “Yelly Clarkson.” It was in tune.

Elise – I know she gets the “ungrateful bitch” label on the boards, but I like her personality: “WTF Jason Segal… that’s it?” I really liked this, but this wasn’t on par with “Vienna” or “Whole Lotta Love” though. And, quite honestly, I liked Haley Reinhart’s version better last year.

My Top 3 – Skylar, Jessica, Elise
Likely Bottom 3 – Hollie, Joshua, Skylar (for the slot of doom)
Should and Most Likely to Go – Hollie
Outside chance - Joshua

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Jessica/Hollie/Josh sounded awful on Stronger. Of course they weren't going to mention Jessica being off in the beginning; that would have stopped them from driving that bus over Hollie again. I thought she sounded good on Perfect, the best she had since the beginning, and even when they reluctantly praised her it was lukewarm. They were harsh because they want her gone.

Elise, however, might be gone instead. Haley Reinhart killed You And I last year and Elise tried too hard to replicate that. I didn't care for her at all, so of course the judges loved it.

Has the show ever been this blatant about pitting these kids against each other? Last week it was Hollie vs Jessica and this week it was the Phillip vs Colton script. Jimmy's telling them straight to their faces, but the judges are getting into it too. J Lo telling Jessica she needed to have a "Joshua performance."

Elise gets a shoutout from a Hollywood star and Joshua gets a birthday wish from Fantasia. One of these things is not like the other.

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

I can't believe they gave Joshua yet another Standing O. I believe he's gotten more of them than he has sit downs.

3rd pimp spot in 8 weeks for Elise and a random celebrity moment?

Hollie's performance was too flat for me, all the same tempo and while she sounded fine she really needed to kick it up and show some passion. Would be surprised if she didn't go.

Edited by CK17, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

• Interests:Ennui, regret and baseball. And I do love an ellipses...

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

I think Colton has secured the Afghan Hound vote.....

msburg

msburg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Loved Joshua, Skylar(!) and Elise. Not expecting to like Skylar. An entertaining night, all around. Funny how they ended early, and needed the judges to stretch.

Even though I liked Josh, found it odd that he got a go-go dancer. And was Steven Tyler encouraging him to "tap that?" To our gospel boy? While he might not be as overt a Christian as Colton, I bet Josh is as devout, if not moreso. And why did they make his dad slowly walk his way onto stage? Seems to be a lot of pimping. Ticking off a lot of boxes for this performance.

And I don't know what the judges were thinking about "Stronger." Jessica was so trying to out-diva the other two, it was off-putting. And poor Hollie was given a minimal role at best. Josh did what he could. What a shame, for I love this song.

Shiny Objects

Shiny Objects

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I haven't felt that a contestant was as unfairly criticized as Hollie was tonight, since way back with Carly Smithson in S7. I don't get why they want her gone so much. I thought her performance was really good and then the judges were like "You looked nice tonight! I'm rooting for you!" WTF, judges?!

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

And the depimping of P2 officially begins, from Jimmy basically imploring Colton to beat him, to Randy and Jennifer dissing both his voting performance and his duet singing, to Phillip dissing his part on the duet himself and saying Elise is a better singer. The bus has barely gotten started.

Boy, that silence after Hollie sang and the judges ripped it was one of the most AWKWARD things I've ever seen on the show.

Edited by vb68, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:09 PM.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Elise will never happen for me. Her voice is so trashed, and she has no breath support, so all her phrases drop off at the end. Plus, because she has no support, it's all a bunch of screaming from her throat.

I get weary of Skylar's screaming, too.

God help me (maybe that's it, seeing how it's Colton's thing and all), I did not hate, loathe and despise Colton tonight.

Bebe just never connects to any song. All the pretty little pageant-bots.

Wow, over-produce Josh's number much, show?

The awkward forced moments, Josh's dad AND home-wrecker baby killer FANT-ASIA, Elise went to a movie and THEN!!!

Speaking of never connecting, then there's Hollie. And Phil. Yo. Yo. Yo.

A lot of really painful "duets" and such. And then J-Lo and Steven and Randy said something. And now Ry-Ry's a judge, too! Yo. That was dope.

TWL247

TWL247

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I couldn't believe how unfairly they criticized Hollie tonight. I thought she gave one of her best performances yet.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Phillip – DMB covers Maroon 5 with guest star Duke Silver. There were pitch issues here that I’m annoyed got overlooked for the Phil flair of it all by Steven, considering he went after Hollie for it.

So much word! He sings so many flat notes for every damn performance.

I love "Stronger." Why did they send those three out to crap all over it? Oh my ears.

I love that Skylar played the guitar - including a barre chord - you go girl. Too bad we couldn't hear the guitar. At all.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Jessica was bad, awful even doing Stronger. Maybe that's why she wore that fashion diaper.

Joshua needs to stop making fashion choices to appease Randy.

Randy: Skylar's back! If you mean back from last week when she performed, then yeah, you're right Randy.

So, I guess next week Skylar and Colton will sing "Endless Love". This manufactured coupling is so stupid.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Jessica/Hollie/Josh sounded awful on Stronger. Of course they weren't going to mention Jessica being off in the beginning; that would have stopped them from driving that bus over Hollie again. I thought she sounded good on Perfect, the best she had since the beginning, and even when they reluctantly praised her it was lukewarm. They were harsh because they want her gone.

Elise, however, might be gone instead. Haley Reinhart killed You And I last year and Elise tried too hard to replicate that. I didn't care for her at all, so of course the judges loved it.

Has the show ever been this blatant about pitting these kids against each other? Last week it was Hollie vs Jessica and this week it was the Phillip vs Colton script. Jimmy's telling them straight to their faces, but the judges are getting into it too. J Lo telling Jessica she needed to have a "Joshua performance."

Elise gets a shoutout from a Hollywood star and Joshua gets a birthday wish from Fantasia. One of these things is not like the other.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

So, I guess next week Skylar and Colton will sing "Endless Love". This manufactured coupling is so stupid.

I so agree. I don't see an ounce of chemistry between the two of them or even a hint that they may like each other in that way.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

I so agree. I don't see an ounce of chemistry between the two of them or even a hint that they may like each other in that way.

I don't either. Emo boy with spunky country girl? Um, no.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

PP actually sounded vaguely tuneful for a few seconds there, at the beginning of his number. Then it devolved into the usual yelling.
Skylar makes me smile; I don't even like country (or deer hunters), but I feel her heart when she sings.
I thought Jess made a gutsy song choice, and I finally kind of got her. If she wins, I won't be mad.
If, as Jimmy implied, we have to have PP or Colton, I'll take Colton. At least he doesn't make stupid faces every time the camera catches him.
How cute were Josh and Hollie frolicking together? I'll be sorry to see her go.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Hollie Once again, I agree with the judges. I thought it sounded terrible. Also, the slower tempo hurt the song and robbed of it of its grit IMO. She can sing; I don't know why she leaves me so cold.

IMO Jennifer was 100% about Phillip; we've seen this performance a few times now. It wasn't bad, but it barely registered.

Loved Colton and Skylar (I want her CD), didn't love their duet this time. It was kind of awkward.

Hollie and Joshua's friendship is so cute!

Edited by Mia Nina, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:30 PM.

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

I counted FOUR times when Randy pulled that fucking faux laugh followed by straight-faced "listen" ("huh, huh, huh, listen").

I'm obsessed with Randy's idiot-Torrette's this season. Is Ellen paying him to try to retrospectively make her look like a solid judge?

MarySNJ

MarySNJ

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

I haven't felt that a contestant was as unfairly criticized as Hollie was tonight, since way back with Carly Smithson in S7. I don't get why they want her gone so much. I thought her performance was really good and then the judges were like "You looked nice tonight! I'm rooting for you!" WTF, judges?!

My knollish instincts tell me that the PTB think Hollie and Jessica are sharing a fanbase and if one is gone, the other will shoot to the top. It's clear they see Jessica as the more "commercial" prospect and that means poor Hollie is the one they want out of the way. That makes me wonder if maybe the girls - even Jessica - aren't coming close to the boys in votes and they assume that with Hollie gone, those votes will go to Jessica. I'm not sure that's true. It's just as likely that Hollie's fans will vote for her Bestie, Joshua especially if they think the judges are throwing Hollie under the bus for Jessica.

That being said, while Hollie has a lovely voice, it doesn't do much for me. I liked this performance better than some but that song has an edge to it, and Hollie is smooth and, well edge-less.

I'm not a fan of Colton's voice but I liked this song choice.

Phil is very hot and cold with me. Some weeks I like him a lot, and some weeks I think his performances are indulgent crap. I enjoyed it this week. I noticed that the judges are actually criticizing a bit. This is probably going to help him with votes.

On my fantasy song list for the contestants, I chose "Runaway Baby" for Joshua and it was my favorite performance of his all season.

Jessica is technically almost flawless vocally, but there's something...studied? about her performance style. As an exercise in vocal mastery - especially for someone so young, she's clearly very talented, but I have a hard time feeling anything she sings. This was another excellent vocal but I'm still not feeling it.

Elise was great, again. This wasn't the showstopper that Whole Lotta Love was, but the song is less dramatic to start with. I like the edges in her voice and how she weaves them with her little trills. I guess I just really like her. For the record, I'm also a fan of Haley Reinhart but I don't think anybody on Idol "owns" any particular song and both version were delightful. They definitely seem to want to keep her around, which is okay because I like her but I'm just sayin'.

Who's left? Oh, Skylar. I guess that says it all. She's consistently good at doing basically the same thing every week. That will win her a solid fanbase, but I thought this was kind of a boring song choice (I don't particularly like Pickler's version either). I feel sort of embarrassed for her and Colton because the PTB seem to be shipping them which is awkward.

The duets/trio? Eh. I liked Elise and Phil - their performance and the song - best but these performances are so obviously filler. If I never hear that Jaosn Aldean/Kelly Clarkson song again it will be too soon (and Skylar's got a good voice but can't fill Kelly's shoes). The trio was kind of a trainwreck, but this looked better on paper than it was in practice. Why not just let the contestant sing two songs each if they must have a two hour show?

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Emo boy with spunky country girl?

Skylar will eat him alive for breakfast.

Replace Joshua with Elise and I'm right there with you.

I'm not sure that Elise will be at the bottom tomorrow, given the pimp spot. I could see a "shocking" Phil and Joshua there (for the overpraising). Seriously, we've had some very good contestants the past few years (David Cook, Adam Lambert, Bo Bice, Melinda Doolittle, Kelly Clarkson, etc.) but none of them, NONE of them ever had SOs that this tween Jacob Lusk got/gets. And no number of SOs that these stupid judges give to Joshua will ever convince me that he's better than those past contestants I've mentioned.

Wurlitzer

Wurlitzer

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I didn't want to take this show too seriously, so tonight I did menial tasks throughout the performances (sans Skylar and Colton). It's a real eye opener folks!

Love Skylar! I was hoping she'd go out of her wheelhouse tonight. I love country music, but think she is more impactful when she does a non-country song (for the purposes of Karaoke Gala 2012). I really enjoyed her performance and thought it was spot on. Still wishing she sang "Stronger" or "Mr. Know It All." But Randy was right - she could have a hit with her version (if you know, it wasn't already on the radio).

I wasn't particularly moved by Colton (though the more I see him, the more I appreciate his integrity). My dog was licking at her nether regions during his performance, so I guess I was more focused on giving my dog a lesson in being a lady than I was in listening to the hook of that Eminem song. I like the hook better.

After Elise and PP's adequate duet and Jessica was announced, I took a short drive to my local convenience store for a 24oz can of Yeungling. Draw your own conclusion on that one.

I arrived back for the last 30 seconds of Joshua's performance. Talk about the force standing O! I guess I would've enjoyed the performance. Maybe?

Folded laundry for the next slew of performances...up until Phil when I decided it was a perfect time to sew up a hole in pair of pants. Meh. He was actually okay for me this week! Elise? Totally overrated. I was not impressed or unimppressed, for that matter. My local top 40 plays a localized version of "You and I", and I guess maybe I would've been moved if "Nebraska" had been substituted for "Alabama".

I threw a vote to Skylar and then decided to make my lunch for work tomorrow.

I guess it was a good night - but I guess I enjoy it more when the contestants are forced out of their wheelhouses. When they aren't, it just seems like cheap karaoke.

Sydney0502

Sydney0502

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Funny, I am new to this board and just read that Elise is considered an "ungrateful bitch". I gotta tell you if I gave her "any" redeeming credit before I dont now. How she responded to that movie star dialing in to wish her well tonight was appauling. "That's all ya got"?

Where does this chik get her mannerism's and UNGRATEFUL is EXACTLY the word and BITCH, yep!!!!!!! You got her pegged right.

From the start, I cant' get past the way this chik stands, her mannerisms, just "overall" she is so unCLASSY.

I was willing up till earlier tonight to throw all that to the side since I particularly like the gritty, loungy, super rough song quality she has..but she is definitly inconsistent. She said last week she was "letting go" but it was anything but letting go..again, if she has more class she would have a better understanding of her own music..it was because she was trying to hard to "let it go". She constricted her vocals and went sharp and flat on a song she should have killed.

But tonight..I just cant get past what a super DIVA BITCH to say. So ungrateful that this mega star would even take the time to respond to Ryan's email..and what about even "expecting" him to watch her. These people on this show kill me..they are all NOBODIES and will remain that way for the most part if you ask me..(where the hell is David Cook???)..but even if they do tend to make it only one or two at best. Enjoy your 14min of fame Elise because i dont expect you to still be standing with your inconsistency and super bitchy ungrateful ass you made of yourself tonight. People want the whole package and I highly recommend you taking communication classes and learn how to speak "educated" so you dont come across so white trashy?

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Overall I was impressed how strong the Top 7 was. No trainwrecks, and even the weakest performance was pretty darn good. I don't have a particular favorite in the race, but at this point anyone who goes home will be someone I'd miss.

Skylar and Joshua were my favorites of the night. They just owned their songs and seemed so authentic as performers.

I wonder if Jessica will be hurt votes-wise due to the obscure song she chose. She sang it well, but it didn't have me "jumping up and down" really.

I liked Colton's song choice a bit better than Phillip's, but neither of them really stretched themselves this week.

I think Hollie is charming, but she's likely to go home this week. Ironically, in the "Stronger", she was the one that stood out in a good way. Jessica was so off pitch, I was really surprised.

And Elise - ok job on "You and I" but nowhere near as good as Haley's from last year, and no mention of how they dissed the song choice last year. I'd be surprised if she wasn't Bottom 3 again.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Got to get to bed, so I'll keep this short.

Skylar - not her best (that was Stay With Me), not her worst (Billy Joel week), her lower register is not her friend

Colton - whined emo-ly as usual, would rather he had done Eminem's Love The Way You Lie instead, it would've been more interesting

Joshua - at least he didn't take it to church, best he's been for me, but meh

Phil & Elise - the judges were right, Elise was better but I liked it

Jessica - she bores the crap out of me, whatever

Skylar & Colton - they sounded better when they were singing the verses on their own, their voices didn't mesh well tonight

Hollie - boy, did the judges run the bus over her, back it up and run her over a few more times or what? No, it wasn't perfect but it was her best since All The Man That I Need, and much better than they gave her credit for. I liked her better than Jessica

Phil - For me this was his best performance. Not a Maroon 5 fan and didn't know the song, but I may have to buy Phil's studio version. Not sure what the judges want from him - this is who he is as an artist and I'd listen to his music, but whatever.

Joshua, Hollie & Jessica - again, not sure what the judges were hearing but this was not good. Jessica sounded horrible and off-key, Hollie was alright, Joshua marginally better but still not very good. Poor Kelly Clarkson, to have her song murdered like that.

My bottom 3: Colton, Joshua, Jessica, with either J going home, don't care which

The real bottom 3: not sure this week, maybe Skylar, Joshua and Hollie, with Hollie going home for sure

OMG, I forgot Elise, and I thought she was the best of the night by far! Ack!

Edited by proserpina65, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:41 PM.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

If I never hear that Jaosn Aldean/Kelly Clarkson song again it will be too soon (and Skylar's got a good voice but can't fill Kelly's shoes). The trio was kind of a trainwreck, but this looked better on paper than it was in practice.

I love that Aldean/Clarkson song. They did a credible job with it. At least Colton has stage presence. Aldean has the stage presence of a potato. Poor Skylar nearly blew out her pipes trying to be Kelly Clarkson. Honey, there's already one of those.

spacecitymarc

spacecitymarc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

With the fake flames surrounding her, the constant references to her murdering wildlife with a bow and arrow and her (not-quite-)Appalachian upbringing, I'm starting to think that Skylar is competing to be District 12 Idol.

I hated "Somebody That I Used To Know." If there was ever evidence that the show likes sticking its fingers where they don't belong just for the hell of it, that was it right there. The song's already a duet, with two very distinctive parts thoughtfully divvied up to create a specific dialogue. So why not just haphazardly assign lines to, you know, whoever? That'll work too, right? Idiots.

I initially thought that it would be an excellent match for his voice, but Joshua practically lumbered his way through "Runaway Baby." That's the James Brown moment of Bruno Mars's stage show, and he gives it every ounce of what he has to give. Joshua sang it okay, I guess, but there was zero urgency to it. His idol Fantasia once advised the contestants of some season or another to not be afraid to get ugly up there on stage. Joshua would do very well to follow that advice, I think. Dude needs to let go.

It seems appropriate that we're currently in the middle of the 100th anniversary of the voyage of the Titanic, because the judges are abandoning Phillip like he's a sinking ship.

Sydney0502

Sydney0502

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

I personally can't stand Skylar. What is all the hype about her. I love Jimmy and his comments are spot on but totally and WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with his feelings on Skylar. I have NEVER, EVER felt her songs. She comes off whyiney and nasley..oh yeah, Jimmy likes nasley.

I find her annoying. She is way too twangy in her voice. She screathes too and I find her flat or sharpe or both when she hits the high notes. She was able to pull through the last note last week on that "ballad" but she did not kill that song..it was not believable and she didnt hold a candle to Bet Midler's version.

And the duets with Colton.Colton HANDS DOWN outsings her. She was decent tonight to not sound too off key but agree with judges where she went pitchy..but Colton was very good as always.

I do feel him. I love Colton in everything and he can sing everything.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

I just caught the recaps but based on what little I heard, I think Skylar and Joshua were the weakest. Skylar was twangin' and yellin' at me all at once, and once again Joshua shouted at me when I swear haven't done anything wrong to him.

I thought Colton sounded pretty good (a surprise to me), Jessica sang her teeny butt off, Hollie sounded strong, Phil sounded...like Phil, and Elise actually didn't annoy me tonight.

Even though I didn't hear complete songs I don't think I missed much.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

How she responded to that movie star dialing in to wish her well tonight was appauling. "That's all ya got"?

I took it as a joke, myself, but maybe that's just my twisted sense of humor.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

OK, I've tried three times now, and I just can't understand what Jessica is saying in her song. I get a random word like "suffocating" and "complicated", but for the life of me, most of it just sounds garbled to me.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I don't know why it made me so angry, but it did, when J-Lo and the Dawg got all gushy over the fact that Skylar sang EVERY SINGLE NOTE of her song ON PITCH!!! Isn't singing on pitch a basic requirement for a professional singer who wants to sing live (and not auto-tuned to death)? Something is very wrong if the judges of a singing competition think singing on pitch is a stunning act of technical prowess. And no, Jennifer, the fact that there's lights and an orchestra and a lot of audience cheering does not excuse a professional from hitting the notes on pitch. That's the damn job.