Gendry: He Is Not As Stupid As the Rest of the Lot, My Lady

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

139 replies to this topic

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

Personally, I don't see Gendry and John as the same person just because they are bastards. For one, their experiences are completely different: Gendry knew the love of a mother where John only knew the contempt of Catlyn, Gendry never knew his father where Ned was a loving presence in John's life, Gendry never knew his brothers before Joffrey slaughtered them where John grew up with the Stark children, etc.

The circumstances in which they have joined the Night Watch also couldn't be more different for Gendry was basically sold where John was recruited, so I don't see anything they could possibly have in common except their affection for Arya and, even that much, seems to come from a completely different place IMO.

That difference is even bigger. As pointed out, Gendry didn't have a choice about going to the Wall (or so we are led to believe by the show which is all I have to go by). Jon Snow, on the other hand, actually VOLUNTEERED to join the Knight's Watch.

It also goes to prove that not all the men in the Night Watch who aren't prisoners are volunteers, as we were led to believe before Gendry, Lommy and Hot Pie joined the recruits on their way to the north.

*ETA:

I guess the only difference I see is that John is entitled to Arya's affection where Gendry has had to earn it so far.

Absolutely. Her relationship with Jon was based on unguarded affection. Any friendship formed in this harsh new environment is hardly likely to be the same. Friendships from here on out are going to be based on grudging respect and hard-won trust. And comradeship, I guess

It's part of what makes his dynamic with her so interesting to me: Gendry doesn't know how Arya would carry on in an actual fight, he saw her stand stand up to two bullies and he knows she's brave enough to travel with them, but its not like any of them owes the other anything, therefore their bond seems to be rooted in genuine affection more than anything else.

Edited by agora, Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:35 PM.

BorkBork

BorkBork

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

I think Arya is two things Gendry likes, straightforward and yet still intelligent. He'd probably be bored pretty quickly with a lot of the fellow watchmen.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Not to mention, if Gendry is anything like his biological father, there's something about these Lyanna Stark types that renders Baratheon men completely helpless.

*ETA: Straightforwardness and intelligence notwithstanding.

Edited by agora, Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:29 AM.

ElizaBlue

ElizaBlue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:03 AM

I do wish that Gendry's future adventures would make him use his blacksmith skills in less than ideal conditions. Meaning a hot sweaty environment, tools that need skilled hands, but no proper blacksmith protective/covering clothing available.

Just saying.

Why? Are we dissatisfied with the level of pain and injury already available in the show? Do we really want to hear Gendry going, "ow! ow! Ooooh! No, no my hands are ruined! Aaaaargh! Okay, there you go--enjoy the horseshoes, you bastards, it's the last thing I'm ever making!" Or, "sorry I killed 3 people just now when I lost control of the hammer--my hands were sweaty."

Or are you just hoping for a tutorial in how to make blacksmith's coverings out of random stuff you might find in a typical camp of vagabonds and wayfarers?

It might make for a great Mythbuster's episode, but I'm not sure how it would move the plot forward here.

You nearly owe me a new keyboard, dude.

But yes, shirtless and sweaty Gendry, using his skilled hands to handle tools, to my screen, please! ;)

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Well, he is kinda cute too.

It's not his fault that he grew up in a place where being a bastard has more weight than good looks.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

I was so afraid for him during Garden of Bones, at times it seems like was really going to endure torture. I've never been so glad to see Tywon Lannister in my life.

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

My thoughts exactly! Gendry being tortured isn't in the books, so I didn't know if they were going off script. I was definitely scared for him. I don't think Twyin arriving has ever made people happy before, but it has now.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

The actor conveyed so much with his eyes, it made the scene all the more terrific to me. From the silent fear to his last minute goodbye to Arya and that quiet resignation all the way through. I wasn't sure Gendry was going to die, but I was convinced he was going to get hurt.

Edited by agora, Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:03 PM.

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

To place Tywin's outrage at the potential wase of a good smith, a little cultural background.

Before the Industrial Revolution, blacksmith and armorer's were the most advanced technical craft that existed, and the most important to the survival of a prosperous community. They alone had the advanced skill and carefully-guarded knowledge of working the iron and steel needed for tools and weapons. In many European cultures, they were also viewed as somewhat of a wizard...working with stone, smoke and fire...especially fire. Many towns required the smiths to locate outside of the walls of the community on edge of the Dark Woods. Remember how dangerous fire and embers could be to a close-packed community living in thatch-roof and tinder-dry timbered houses. Once started even the smallest fire could destroy and entire section of village or town. And the smithy was a place of loud noises, raging fires, red-hot glowing iron and towering columns of steam, smoke and embers. ...Also a competent smith attracted farmers and small tradesmen to a community for repairs and new implements...who would also patronize the local market and inns. They were good magnets for business.

And the value of a smith trained as an armorer in a time of war? Priceless...

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

I love the "See?" look Tywin was giving the soldier after Gendry said he's a smith. They don't even know he's trained as an armourer yet, but Gendry as he is probably worth at least a couple of those idiotic soldiers whose trade seems to be posturing and jabbing peasants full of holes while the poor folks are already down.

I'm quite impressed how likable Gendry already is given how little we've actually seen him. But those few scenes we had of him and Arya and Hotpie (and Lemmy, alas) had been very well utilized to establish the kind of person he is. I loved how kind he was to Arya from the very first scene, even though there was nothing to be gained from being kind to this little kid who eventually becomes a pain in his butt. He's smart (as demonstrated by recognizing that Arya is, in fact, a girl, and his quick repartee with Arya) and loyal (to Yoren and Arya) and all around decent. Which is a lot more than what I could say about the other Baratheons (I love Renly, I do, but there's no argument that so far Gendry seems like a more decent human being, if not necessarily a king material) or those would-be Baratheons (Joffrey, et al).

And I do love watching Arya, Hotpie and Gendry together, even though their scenes went from adorable of the few episodes ago to the total grim-fest that was the last episode. Realistically, the writers cannot afford to give the trio any more screen time than they've already been given, but I can at least see they're trying to show as much as they can about these characters within the alloted time. I loved how they showed Gendry, Hotpie and Lemmy sleeping in the background while Arya was having that memorable conversation with Yoren one episode ago. They couldn't give Gendry and Hotpie a lot of lines or screen time in this episode, either, but getting Gendry picked as the next torture victim was (unfortunately) a very effective way to show the bond between the characters, how terrified and bleak they must feel, and how absolutely horrifiying the things are for the small folks in general, all in a very short time.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

I'm quite impressed how likable Gendry already is given how little we've actually seen him. But those few scenes we had of him and Arya and Hotpie (and Lemmy, alas) had been very well utilized to establish the kind of person he is...

I agree, despite Gendry already had a great introduction when Ned interview him last season, I think it was the "Tweens Watch" what provided the best scenario to develop the character. And the rapport between him and Arya did all the rest.

I like the way Gendry went from anonymous bastard number 1 - I assumed he was the oldest because Robert had only been on King's Landing for 17 years - to that familiar face among Yoren's recruits, to a character in his own right, as important as Arya herself in my eyes.

Edited by agora, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:36 PM.

rhyannelise

rhyannelise

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

From reading the books, I'm pretty sure that
Spoiler

I also figured that one of the main reasons Gendry sticks with Arya is that he has a bit of a crush on her, even when he finds out she's so high born,
Spoiler
plus we all know those Baratheon men like the ladies.

As one of my favorite secondary characters, I just hope Gendry survives to the end of the series, finds out who his father is, and
Spoiler

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

I can't see a 19-year-old having a crush on an 11-year-old. I really don't think that's what's on Gendry's mind. Sure, Robert liked the ladies, but we haven't actually seen Gendry around any. I think people are shipping Gendry and Arya because he is so good-looking, and Arya is the only female we've seen in his scenes. But if anyone with actual breasts walked past, Gendry would probably be looking at her, not at Arya. Moreover he wouldn't feel guilty or expect her to be jealous because, you know, 11 years old.

I think he watches out for her because he feels responsible for her. He's 19--he's a man. He's babysitting her, basically. Somehow an unattended child has been dropped into his vicinity, and because he's a good, responsible, thoughtful young man with a strong sense of right and wrong, he is watching over her, because someone has to. Sure, he likes her. She's funny and smart and a cute kid. But a crush? that would be incredibly creepy.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Gendry is only 16 years old, if only because he was born from a commoner from King's Landing so Robert had less than 17 years to produce a child there (he can't be older than Jon Snow).

I do believe Gendry is the eldest among Robert's bastards though, which means his siblings's massacre only left the only bastard that could've done something against Joffrey.

*ETA:

Sure, he likes her. She's funny and smart and a cute kid. But a crush? ...

As I see it, what Gendry feels for Arya is a whole lot more complex than that, if only because she's the first real kind of family he has seemed attached to since the show began - she's the last person he looks at whenever he thinks he's about to die and the first one he checks on whenever he wakes up every morning - more than a crush, a sister or a parent, I'd say Arya has become his surrogate everything. The next of kin if you will.

Edited by agora, Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:29 AM.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

Gendry, Arya, Lommy and Hot Pie got thrown together into a tough situation, they're a clique of friends who look out for each other, Gendry being the primary watchdog because he's the oldest. I don't see any evidence that Gendry has a crush or any deep or particularly complex feelings for her other than an additional layer of respect because she's highborn.

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

As I see it, what Gendry feels for Arya is a whole lot more complex than that, if only because she's the first real kind of family he has seemed attached to since the show began - she's the last person he looks at whenever he thinks he's about to die and the first one he checks on whenever he wakes up every morning - more than a crush, a sister or a parent, I'd say Arya has become his surrogate everything. The next of kin if you will.

I actually agree with this. They have become one another's surrogate family--a pair of runaway orphans together against the world. Gendry's attitude towards Arya sort of reminds me of the way one adopts a stray kitten or puppy. If one morning he checked on her and she was gone, he'd be frantic, I'm sure. And then relieved to tears to see her climb down out of a tree or hear her in the distance cussing someone out. They are each other's next of kin--if one died, the other one would be the one to bury them, avenge them, and mourn them.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Granted, sometimes it feels like she's the only weak spot of the character, as if Gendry himself would only be destroyed if Harrenhal destroys her.

Edited by agora, Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:11 PM.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Thank you for the gratuitous shirtlessness tonight, Gendry. Hot, dirty, sweaty shirtlessness...

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Granted, if I were Arya I would've asked him to stand up, stand sideways, turn around, etc.

Edited by agora, Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:19 PM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

All I was thinking was sparks on skin. Ow! And a certain amount of jealousy. If I looked like that I'd never wear a shirt.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

From the episode thread:

It strikes me that Gendry is very much his father's son : strong, personable, fairly uncomplicated. I know Arya is too young for romance but I can't help picturing them together down the road. It would be a nice, normal parallel to the doomed Stark/Not Baratheon couple Ned and Robert matched at the very beginning of the show.

I've got to admit, there's no other show on TV that knows how to build expectations quite like Game of Thrones; Gendry and Arya didn't even meet when they already had a past, as established by their respective fathers, an endangered future (as it was established by Yoren & the Gold Clocks) and a potential love story as established by the failed romance between Robert & Lyanna.

Whether or not something comes out of this, I think it's been an epic ride so far.

Edited by agora, Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:58 PM.

Akaj

Akaj

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Finally a bit of totally anachronistic (and really bad idea safety-wise) male-seminudity for the straight women and gay men. I want some naked-as-Theon scenes for Gendry, just not at the forge. Totally unrealistic, no blacksmith would do that, I should have been snorting with laughter or snickers or something. Instead, I just said to myself: Mmmm. Gendry.

And Joe and Maisie have delightful chemistry. Whether that means Gendry is doomed, I hope not. And yes, I do want to see Gendry and Arya (with Hot Pie optional) wander around Westeros righting wrongs and defending the little guy with snarky comments going back and forth.

Edited by Akaj, Apr 30, 2012 @ 2:21 PM.

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

I think the actor mentioned in an interview somewhere that the shirtlessness was supposedly due to the heat -- because it's supposed to be summer in the story and the forge would be blazing -- but when they filmed it, it was freezing November.

His sacrifice is much appreciated, if everyone's reaction is anything to go by. I certainly appreciated it.

Sukeyna

Sukeyna

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Thanks be to the old gods and the new!

Shirtless Gendry

ElizaBlue

ElizaBlue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Ahem ahem, see my post on the earlier pages of this thread.

Any more shirtless requests I should make, since this one came true? ;)

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Ahem ahem, see my post on the earlier pages of this thread.

Any more shirtless requests I should make, since this one came true? ;)

Yes, Doreah shirtless please. Oh wait, damn, I bet it only works with Gendry.

There's something almost strange about Gendry to me. With larger than life Lords and horrific monsters all over the place, and very serious and dramatic mopers or constant wisecrakers, he just seems so...normal. He just seems like a decent chap, no hidden pain or angst about being a bastard or abandoned by his master, no extravagances in his manner. I see nothing beneath the surface, which is not to say he has no character. How this guy grew up in Westeros is beyond me.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

And Joe and Maisie have delightful chemistry.

Bonus points because it's been mostly platonic up until this point.

As for why Gendry grew up so normal, most of his siblings looked normal to me up until the moment Joffrey murdered them. If he lacked of a father growing up, his mother somehow made up for it. If he lacked of a family, the Night's Watch seemed enough to make up for it. If his lifetime lacks of peace, his work seems to soothe him and so on.

Edited by agora, May 1, 2012 @ 8:56 AM.

MarySNJ

MarySNJ

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

There's something almost strange about Gendry to me. With larger than life Lords and horrific monsters all over the place, and very serious and dramatic mopers or constant wisecrakers, he just seems so...normal. He just seems like a decent chap, no hidden pain or angst about being a bastard or abandoned by his master, no extravagances in his manner. I see nothing beneath the surface, which is not to say he has no character. How this guy grew up in Westeros is beyond me.

I would love to know how he was raised from the time his tavern wench mother died and he was found an apprenticeship with Tobho Mott. He does seem pretty well adjusted. We don't really get to see many skilled craftsmen. We usually see the ruling class, servants or soldiers, so maybe Gendry is typical for someone who's got a valuable skill and has lived a fairly undramatic life so far.

That being said, a "normal" tradesman doesn't usually have Hands of the King visiting to ask about his mother and Gold Cloaks traveling distances to try to arrest him for no apparent reason.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

That being said, a "normal" tradesman doesn't usually have Hands of the King visiting to ask about his mother and Gold Cloaks traveling distances to try to arrest him for no apparent reason.

Good point - he doesn't even seem very curious about that, he just sort of shrugs it off. Come to think of it he was pretty steady and even tempered when he was about to be tortured and when questioned by yet another Hand of the King. Perhaps his bastardized royal blood just recognizes he should be mixing with such people (just kidding).

Luckily for him it seems more pressing matters have the attention of the truly important now, and the issue of the royal bastards seems to have dropped off the agenda.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

I would say he's a very practical lad at heart: he only needs to know the Gold Cloaks were trying to kill him and now he can avoid them because he's officially dead, he doesn't delve into his mother's past or what might have happened 17 years ago.