Gendry: He Is Not As Stupid As the Rest of the Lot, My Lady

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

139 replies to this topic

Chysalis

Chysalis

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

How can there not be a thread of Gendry (who is of yet, at least for only watching telly me without a last name) I freaking love Gendry already.

I also think that he will play a very vital part in the Game of Thrones. Whether he wants it or not. Renly is gay, Stannis without an heir and Joffrey has murdered all the bastards of Robert. So as of now, he is the last remaining Baratheon blood. Can that change? Of course. Would I take my changes if he was only way of Baratheon keeping the throne? Of course not.

And I think he deserves his own thread just because of the nice chemistry he has with Arya. So cute!

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

I think the chemistry was good too, very charming. I've said it on other threads, but I'm surprised the actor is actually able to act given the only thing I've seem him in he (and it) was crap. Instead, Gendry is coming across as a pretty cool dude, as Arya seemed to think too, and their banter was a bright spot in the episode.

Tyrion would certainly agree that people might think one of Robert's bastards might make a reasonable claimaint if someone felt so inclined, as he said to Slynt, although quite frankly it is very hard to prove - I know Ned recognized him as Robert's son very quickly, but if it comes down to resemblance being the only 'evidence', someone so inclined could surely find lots of people of the right general appearence.

Quick point though - the Goldcloaks seem to be spearheading the killing of the bastards, even going beyond King's Landing, but their reach cannot run far, and who knows how many bastards Robert left around the kingdoms (he has made the Eight after all) - seven hells, based off the first episode of the show I wouldn't be surprised if he planted a few seeds in the North while he was there.

As for his last name, as a bastard from the Crown Lands I think that would be [spoiler for anyone who absolutely doesn't want to know]
Spoiler

I'm looking forward to more of Gendry.

Edited by kieran555, Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:32 AM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

How can there not be a thread of Gendry (who is of yet, at least for only watching telly me without a last name) I freaking love Gendry already.

To be fair, I thought there already was one (hence why I didn't try to create one myself).

Edited by agora, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:12 AM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Thanks for the Gendry Thread, Chrysalis. I like your title too. I liked that he was smart enough to admit he was afraid of the guys locked in the cart. He's not full of himself, and in this world that seems to be a rare trait.

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

I love Gendry. And I love Chysalis for putting mylady in his thread title.

I think we need an Arya/Gendry buddy cop spin off. He can make the swords, she can use them. They can roam around the Riverlands, later Westeross, Essos, wherever. Only way to make it better is if they'd come across Nymeria.

Can't wait for more of their interactions.

Edited by emjay1116, Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:53 PM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with Gendry's first scene, last season. He seemed to really lack presence (though now I think that might have been a deliberate choice, given he was an armourer's apprentice and was being asked questions by the Hand of the King), and felt too modern for the world he was in.

But in the season finale, and again in this episode, I really liked him. He's got a good line in deadpan deliveries, and that little pause when Hot Pie asked him how he knew that any idiot could buy armour was just great. A little, 'just how stupid are you?' moment that really sold the whole scene.

I like how he's seemingly decided to look out for Arya, without it really being of any benefit to him. And to keep her secret, again without it being of any benefit to him. I hope to see a lot more banter between them as the season progresses, and to get a bit more of an insight into Gendry himself. He apparently doesn't know he's Robert's bastard son, so what does he think of the Goldcloaks chasing him?

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

What I like the most about him is that Gendry doesn't question the basics; if the goldcloaks are after him he assumes its bad news, if they tell him the guys in the cage are dangerous he stays the hell away from them, if Arya asks him not to tell he doesn't.

He doesn't question why is that there's any danger coming in his direction, he stays alert and takes the necessary measures to avoid it.

Edited by agora, Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:32 PM.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Which means he'd make a perfect puppet for a kingmaker.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I don't think he'll make it to the throne, Gendry strike me as knight material or perhaps the husband of a Lady, if things do work out with Arya that way, but I don't see him fighting to be King either in the long run or short term.

Chysalis

Chysalis

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:32 AM

Thanks for the Gendry Thread, Chrysalis. I like your title too.

I love Gendry. And I love Chysalis for putting mylady in his thread title.

I was torn between that and "Will you sing if I hit you?" But it sounded so wrong putting Mylady with that (Too Joffrey.)

...but I don't see him fighting to be King either in the long run or short term.

I don't want him to fight to be King. I want him to be King because when the battle is done he is one that is left standing. Because he didn't play the Game of Thrones. But it is far to early for that.

For now I see him and Arya continuing their adventure. Somehow they will be seperated from Yoren and the Wall. So they decide to stay somewhere else. At one point of his life, I too, see him become a knight. Right now, he is too young. Too inexpirienced. He knows what he knows and acts accordingly (which for me is fitting with the whole, doing what you are told. He lived that last ten years that way). He has a good head on his shoulders and the heart on the right spot. But he is not yet a leader.

Edit: Which is not bad. Because Lord Commander said: To know how to lead you must know how to follow.

Edited by Chysalis, Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:32 AM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I don't think he'll make it to the throne, Gendry strike me as knight material or perhaps the husband of a Lady, if things do work out with Arya that way, but I don't see him fighting to be King either in the long run or short term.

I don't want him to fight to be King. I want him to be King because when the battle is done he is one that is left standing. Because he didn't play the Game of Thrones. But it is far to early for that.

I'd say that sounds more like uncle Tyrion or uncle Renly than him.

To be completely honest, I picture Gendry more like a young Ned Stark who still hasn't marry the woman he'll father 5 children with.

Spirit of 74

Spirit of 74

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

To be completely honest, I picture Gendry more like a young Ned Stark who still hasn't marry the woman he'll father 5 children with.

Yes. And given that he was raised a bastard, probably in either relative or extreme poverty, that honor is all the more admirable.

Personally, I just want to see him find out - somehow, at some point - who his father was.

MarySNJ

MarySNJ

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

I don't see Gendry aspiring to be King, although he might appreciate some of the benefits that come with having a patron due to his being one of Robert's sons and one of the last with Baratheon blood. Certainly he seems to take pride in being a blacksmith and had a nice job as an apprentice to a well-known armorer
Spoiler
which gives him a valued skill that he can presumably use to make a fairly decent living for a tradesmen. His Master in Kings Landing seemed to be doing well enough. In my opinion, Gendry's already more "useful" to society than his uncle Renly and all his flowery courtiers, or Joffrey - the bullying Bastard King of Westeros with his inflated sense of entitlement.

I suppose if it came to the line of succession if whichever self-appointed King Stannis or Renly should fail to produce a trueborn heir of their own, could legitimize Gendry and make him a Baratheon not just by blood but in name and an heir.

Gendry's so far shown to be a hard worker and as far as we know now, not prone to the kind of excesses that his biological father indulged in. He doesn't seem to be a bully and is the kind of guy who will protect the little guy...well, girl, in this case. He seems pretty noble despite his low birth especially when compared to high-born bastard Joffrey.

All hail Gendry Baratheon, future Lord of Dragonstone
Spoiler
! Has a nice ring to it.

Edited by MarySNJ, Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:08 PM.

easy e

easy e

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

@emjay1116

I think we need an Arya/Gendry buddy cop spin off. He can make the swords, she can use them. They can roam around the Riverlands, later Westeross, Essos, wherever. Only way to make it better is if they'd come across Nymeria.

Sign me up--I'd totally watch that. I love Gendry and Arya's interactions.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

Sign me up--I'd totally watch that. I love Gendry and Arya's interactions.

They've been a definitely bright spot so far this season. I think both actors hit the right tone with their dynamic.

Its all the more impressive to me considering they've only had a few scenes to do that.

Edited by agora, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:39 PM.

ElizaBlue

ElizaBlue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

I do wish that Gendry's future adventures would make him use his blacksmith skills in less than ideal conditions. Meaning a hot sweaty environment, tools that need skilled hands, but no proper blacksmith protective/covering clothing available.

Just saying.

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

I do wish that Gendry's future adventures would make him use his blacksmith skills in less than ideal conditions. Meaning a hot sweaty environment, tools that need skilled hands, but no proper blacksmith protective/covering clothing available.

Why? Are we dissatisfied with the level of pain and injury already available in the show? Do we really want to hear Gendry going, "ow! ow! Ooooh! No, no my hands are ruined! Aaaaargh! Okay, there you go--enjoy the horseshoes, you bastards, it's the last thing I'm ever making!" Or, "sorry I killed 3 people just now when I lost control of the hammer--my hands were sweaty."

Or are you just hoping for a tutorial in how to make blacksmith's coverings out of random stuff you might find in a typical camp of vagabonds and wayfarers?

It might make for a great Mythbuster's episode, but I'm not sure how it would move the plot forward here.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

I think we just want to see him sweaty and shirtless (or nude!). He had a lovely scene in Season 1 showing off his guns.

Edited by Titus, Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:49 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

To be honest, I don't remember any other scene aside the ones he has had with Arya. I know there must have been because Ned did interview him, but it's like the Gendry character only existed once he met Arya.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

...it's like the Gendry character only existed once he met Arya.

I think that is true due to the fact that Arya is the 1st non-superior person we have seen talk with him. Before that it was Ned and/or his boss at the smithy. He's a guy who knows his place in the world (almost bottom of the heap) so he is not going to assert a personality to those who have power over him. Having Arya be the one he gets to relate to is a good ploy because he was able to start interacting as an equal (or even superior due to her size) and once he knows she is from a noble family, he can get used to the idea that he can actually relate to people above his station without going all subservient (see: Bronn/Tyrion).

Does he really believe that Arya/Arry is Ned's daughter? I thought so initially because of him sincerely apologizing for the "cock" comment, but he could have been teasing her then as well as when he called her milady.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

The way I see it, Gendry seemed genuinely upset because he exposed himself for someone who didn't believe Arya was a lady.

However, he did seem genuinely amused because she was not lady like enough to mind too.

MarySNJ

MarySNJ

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Does he really believe that Arya/Arry is Ned's daughter? I thought so initially because of him sincerely apologizing for the "cock" comment, but he could have been teasing her then as well as when he called her milady.

Gendry seems pretty perceptive and I think he believes it. Arry was worried the Gold Cloaks were after her and Gendry reckons she did something bad to warrant the attention (killed someone?) or just because she's a runaway girl. Her confession just put the pieces together for him. Why else would the Nights Watch recruiter be transporting a disguised girl North to safety if she wasn't someone of importance?

Even though she was born above his station, I think he's accepted her as his sidekick/little "brother" and the fact that he knows her secret doesn't mean he can't tease her, since she's pretty adamant that she doesn't want to be treated like a high born lady. If he started all the sudden deferring to her, the other gutter rats would wonder why and probably draw the wrong conclusions. Plus, I think he just gets a kick out of her (They're just too cute together).

Edited by MarySNJ, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:26 PM.

JamieNT

JamieNT

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

If we can't have anymore Arya/Jon scenes, I'll take the Gendry ones instead as I picture their relationship developing similarly to how Jon's and Arya's was.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Personally, I don't see Gendry and John as the same person just because they are bastards. For one, their experiences are completely different: Gendry knew the love of a mother where John only knew the contempt of Catlyn, Gendry never knew his father where Ned was a loving presence in John's life, Gendry never knew his brothers before Joffrey slaughtered them where John grew up with the Stark children, etc.

The circumstances in which they have joined the Night Watch also couldn't be more different for Gendry was basically sold where John was recruited, so I don't see anything they could possibly have in common except their affection for Arya and, even that much, seems to come from a completely different place IMO.

Edited by agora, Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:33 AM.

Spirit of 74

Spirit of 74

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Plus, I think the two different power balances are interesting. When you think about Arya and Jon, her status in Winterfell is higher than his, as she is legitimate and he is not. On the other hand, Jon is a skilled fighter and seems generally well thought of, even respected, probably because of how Ned recognized and accepted him.

With Gendry, on the road - once he knows who she is - she's socially higher up the scale than he is. And although she's younger and a lot smaller, she knows how to fight now, whereas it's unlikely he's had any formal training at arms. She's both more and less equal than she was with Jon.

Edited by Spirit of 74, Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:43 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

She's both more and less equal than she was with Jon.

I guess the only difference I see is that John is entitled to Arya's affection where Gendry has had to earn it so far.

Edited by agora, Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:35 PM.

Spirit of 74

Spirit of 74

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

I guess the only difference I see is that John is entitled to Arya's affection where Gendry has had to earn it so far.

Absolutely. Her relationship with Jon was based on unguarded affection. Any friendship formed in this harsh new environment is hardly likely to be the same. Friendships from here on out are going to be based on grudging respect and hard-won trust. And comradeship, I guess: we're stuck on this sinking ship together. In that respect, they seem to be setting out on the right foot. Which is good, because as capable as she undoubtedly is, she's going to need an ally.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

The circumstances in which they have joined the Night Watch also couldn't be more different for Gendry was basically sold where John was recruited,

That difference is even bigger. As pointed out, Gendry didn't have a choice about going to the Wall (or so we are led to believe by the show which is all I have to go by). Jon Snow, on the other hand, actually VOLUNTEERED to join the Knight's Watch. We saw, in his brief discussion with Benjen Stark (during the feast that Jon couldn't go to) that Benjen was trying to put him off it (by reminding Jon about things he already knew), and that Jon had apparently asked to join before. We didn't see Ned putting any pressure on Jon to join, just giving his approval and voicing respect for the honourable decision.

Gendry has more in common with Pip, Gren and Samwell - decent, intelligent and without any other option. The other thing he has in common with them is a sense of humour - which Jon Snow seems to be lacking.

Spirit of 74

Spirit of 74

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

The other thing he has in common with them is a sense of humour - which Jon Snow seems to be lacking.

You sometimes get the impression that humor is a smallfolk trait. Except for Tyrion.

Gendry has more in common with Pip, Gren and Samwell - decent, intelligent and without any other option.

It seems like Gendry would get along with Pyp and Grenn like a house on fire. Probably Sam too, as he seems to be a decent sort. His true background, should it ever be discovered, is the key difference.

Talking about true reasons for joining the Night's Watch: the likes of Pyp and Grenn look to be basically being used as cannon fodder; criminals who can postpone (with a slim chance of canceling) their execution by going north. As least someone was trying to help Gendry.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

You sometimes get the impression that humor is a smallfolk trait. Except for Tyrion.

Less 'honour of the family'/duty at stake, perhaps? Or just raised without sticks up their butts.

Jon Snow, on the other hand, actually VOLUNTEERED to join the Knight's Watch.

Heh. I know it was only a typo, but that is actually the kind of Watch Jon thought he was joining I guess (although, of course, we know that northerners don't have anywhere near as many actual, annointed Knights, but men who exercise the same basic function).

I actually forget why Gendry said he joined - his master kicked him out, which really limited his options, but why would his first move be to join the Night's Watch of all things? He wasn't in prison and commuting his sentence, so though life would probably be tough for an unattached bastard without references in King's Landing, he did still have a choice, right? Dreams of honour? Gendry seems a bit Tyrion like in his attitude to such things.

Edited by kieran555, Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:29 PM.