5-19: "It Girl, Interrupted" 2012.04.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

116 replies to this topic

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:41 AM

I wish Serena didnít give DB the green light in 516 if she was only going to act like this, I may have some sympathy for her then. Couldnít believe what she was doing last night, some was in character but the manipulation and in your face lying wasnít.

The whole Chuck mom thing is such a handbrake on the show, going back over old ground and sucking the life out of the whole show.

Elizabeth Hurley, being told she is beautiful and she is hot doesnít make it so, Iíd settle for some decent acting from her at this stage.

Yay for Blair calling Chuck out twice, it was great to see. Some things are not to be forgotten. It was either ironic or a coincidence that the day he paid the dowry, he comes crawling for help. Blair was so right to accuse him of always having an agenda. Didnít need Dan and Blair telling us how selfless Chuck was, he was only righting his wrong, it was the least he could do, he doesnít get a medal for that.

Blair at the beginning so excited to be able to finally do things with Dan as a couple and Dan planning out the perfect day and just wanting to spend time with her, perfect. The MET scene was way too short but priceless, I was expecting cheese but it wasnít too bad. The looks and steadfast eye contact was better than a thousand words. Delighted they havenít lost their biting banter in the transition.

MartaMcfly

MartaMcfly

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

Solid episode. It was great watching Serena. I loved how she adopted the role of GG. It was hilarious to watch her muddle and manipulate her way through before deciding that she didn't want to relinquish her identity as an "it" girl. It was just so Serena. I am liking this new storyline for her. Its nice to see her do something more than just pine for Dan.

Dan and Blair were just adorable. I loved how he used his sexy eyes on everyone to find out the problem with the divorce and then made that sweet gesture at the MET steps. It wasn't too cheesy and her thank you at the end was nice and understated.

Lily and Rufus were tragic but I did love seeing Vanya again. I missed him!

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

Is Serena just fully sliding into cuckooville? It would be pretty fun if Serena was not only exposed as the knock off Gossip Girl, but also that she sent out the self-aggrandizing blast. Then the season ended with Serena all Sunset Blvd. nutso.

It would be fun to see Serena go rogue. It'd be the first interesting thing she's done in...maybe ever.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

Lily though I did not love. She's been so hateful for the past two episodes. I still have no idea what Rufus was annoyed about though.

LOL, I know. Even though he said it was because she lied to him, I think it runs deeper than that. I think he resents being a kept man and being back in Brooklyn gave him his mojo back and he's seeing things differently. I think they'll work it out in the end, at least I hope so. They balance each other pretty well. Lily doesn't need yet another husband nor one who is just as snobby as she is.

I'm still annoyed that they had to sell Chuck out, though, with the dowry thing. Ok, the anvil has been dropped 100 times, he treats Blair like chattle. I like Chuck's character, usually, and wish they'd develop it in another way.

edited for spelling/grammar!

Edited by diorella78, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Another enjoyable episode

Dan and Blair were fanatastic- I really liked that Dan understood that Blair was just upset and that he wanted to help her- and I also really like that Blair was honest with him about the real reason she was upset- I love that Dan and Blair aren't playing games the whole time- if they are to have any chance it will involve them having to trust each other and being honest- Dan didn't have to give Chuck any credit over the dowry thing but it was good that he didn't try to bad mouth him to Blair- Blair is making her own decisions again and it's wonderful to see

and the MET scene was completely adoreable:)Such a Dan Humphrey thing to do but really sweet

I also liked that Blair found out that Chuck paid the dowry and that she confronted him about it and the whole hotel thing- glad she stood up for herself and didn't immediately throw herself into helping Chuck with his latest Bass family drama- I do think Chuck genuinely was trying to help Blair but she had asked him not to pay the Dowry and I'm not sure he's 100% honest about the reasons he did pay it- I still don't think he gets it about the hotel incident, in fact I don't think he ever will and I think he missed the point about the dowry entirely but he was trying to do the right thing as he saw it

I have to say Serena seesm to be heading for some sort of melt down which I suspect is not unrelated to Dan and Blair- I don't care- crazy Serena is slightly amazing- and it was funny to watch- her scheming is like one unforseen consequence after another cause I'm not sure she even knows what she hopes to achieve apart from chaos and that blast about how she's the only real IT girl- LOL

Lola was also a lot more interesting in this episode because the contrast between her and Serena works really well- and she's ambitious- we could see that from the final scenes- she may not want to be an IT girl for the sake of it but fame is little addictive and Lola doesn't seem to hate it as much as she's pretending to- Serena might have bitten off slightly more than she can chew here- she's no great chess player at the best of times and she is a terrible GG in the best possible way-
great fun to watch

Can't believe Ivy trusted Lily and just left PRADA- how are we supposed to belieive this girl defrauded Cece of all people- I know Lily believes the 'end justifies the means' but I still find it hard to believe that Ivy manipulated Cece- Lily is angry at the wrong person here- and how did she think Rufus was going to be ok with this?!?

The Chuck family drama is pretty repetitive- could they not have given him some funny scenes with Nate and a more upbeat storyline than mommy drama part 7- he's like a one man greek tragedy

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

Chuckís red onesie? Ė oh dear. Itís nice to see him out of the suits, but no. Major props to Ed for being a good sport.

Iím starting to think that Diana isnít Chuckís mother. Theyíre making the connection way too obvious. Her whole ďI have other business in NY to attend toĒ line to Nate? Unless thereís another twist. Maybe she is Chuckís mom as well as the real Gossip Girl? Although, itíd be pretty lame that a 40 yr old woman would be so into the inner machinations of a bunch of high school kids. At least now as adults theyíre more tabloid worthy.

The Met scene was cavity inducing, but Iíll admit that it made my inner 13 year old girl squee. I like seeing Blair with a guy who plain adores her as well as gets her and how her mind works. I know there has to be drama and trouble on the horizon so Iíll enjoy the cloying cuteness that is Dair for these few episodes.

Iím also enjoying this new arc for Serena. Sheís had a rough few months from every angle and is due for some character growth. She probably needs to hit some lows before she can change for the better. Serena has always been either the victim of someoneís machinations or when she has been the troublemaker, itís been due to being flighty/self-absorbed and not thinking about the consequences on other people. Itís interesting to see her be more diabolical and purposeful with her actions even if she is still all over the place.

I liked Lola when she first appeared, but quickly got bored with her so glad to see her get interesting - scheming with the best of them and relishing the benefits of the UES and It-girl celebrity.

Oh Rufus. His heart was in the right place, but he was out of line for negotiating with Ivy without Lilyís knowledge. Lily pulled a total scheming move. You can totally see that he and Dan are father/son. The thing for UES women, love of Brooklyn, the moral righteousness. Oh and yay for Vanya.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

I had to pause the episode so I could fully revel in the ridiculousness of Chuck's workout onesie. I laughed my ass off!

Did anyone else notice the group photo of the Non Judgement Breakfast Club on Nate's desk?

Yes! I noticed that there was a picture of Blair & Serena in the apartment (which seems like a normal girlie thing to have) and then the foursome picture on Nate's desk (which, honestly, is such a sweet little Nate thing to do). I'm just surprised he didn't photoshop his other BFF Dan into the picture.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:27 AM.

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

I'm just surprised he didn't photoshop his other BFF Dan into the picture.

Iím sure that Nate has a separate special pic of him and his BFF/boyfriend Dan. :) Dan and Nate are probably my favorite pairing on this show. Actually, I want Dan and Chuck to become friends because Dan, Chuck and Nate may really be my OT3. The 3 of them together are gold.

Nate has been on a roll the past 2 weeks with the Humphrey-isms. Last week it was his reference to the classic Humphrey overthink and this week something about Dan ďHumphrey-ing out.Ē

Kaspangle

Kaspangle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

I had this on while folding laundry last night, and this is what I got from it: It girl, It girl, boring, It girl, embarrassing cheesiness, YAY- maybe Lily and Rufus will finally divorce, zzzzzzzzzz. Also, Chace Crawford seems to be getting worse as an actor somehow.

Glazeddonut

Glazeddonut

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

After watching this episode, I kinda have mixed feelings now. As much as I would like Dan and Blair, I'm not too sure now that we know Chuck paid the dowry to free Blair to pursue her happiness. I knew early from the beginning that Chuck would paid the dowry and this would be the baby steps to reunite Blair and Chuck. I think as much as Dan loves Blair, deep down he feels that Blair and Chuck belong together. You don't know how much it kills me to even blog this statement. I believe we all feel that season 6 is it and in just a short period of time, Blair will get back to Chuck (ugh). The Mets steps scene is the a very romantic gesture. Dan truly loves her and although he's not wealthy but he shower Blair with kindness and happiness. I hope I'm totally wrong but deep down, I don't think I am.

I have mixed feelings too. I wanted Dair to happen so bad but now that there together the excitement is gone. The banter and buildup was fun (where did it go) but they are simply not interesting any more and Blair doesnít seem the least bit into Dan where Dan seem more into the idea of the relationship then actually Blair. It seems like Dair simply a roadblock for chair now because as long as Suck is still around Dair canít florish.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Blair doesn’t seem the least bit into Dan

Talk about MMV. But if you change 'Dan' to 'Chuck,' then that would be what I saw.

Dan/Blair was obviously the best part of the episode, but I gotta say, Chuck's onsie and Serena going all the way down to crazy town really gave them a run for their money.

I had hoped I'd never have to see Robert Ford (Aiden) again. And we are meant to believe he was not only hot (LOL), but also 16? I could not stop laughing. But, I was also trying to reconcile how stupid that was.

This show is truly like 2 different shows. One where we get to watch a thoughtfully written story about two people falling in love and becoming the people they were meant to be together and then a badly-written comedy. I enjoy them both really.

If Dan/Blair aren't endgame I will literally rofl for weeks. I mean, there is absolutely no way to make Chuck/Blair actually seem like the viable endgame at this point.

Edited by peachmangosteen, Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:24 PM.

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I am all of a sudden way more interested in Lola than I was last week. I especially liked her team-up with Nate in order to takedown Diana (although it was ineffective). It's refreshing to see someone not get immediately bamboozled by the UES. Like No Second Troy pointed out, the dichotomy between Serena and Lola just works and I'm excited to see where it leads.

Still finding it difficult to care about Ivy - was she even in this episode or just referred to? I also find it hard to believe that if Ivy is this BAMF that we've been led to believe, how was she so easily outwitted by Lily?

I surprisingly sided with Rufus during the fight between him and Lily. I don't understand why Lily is being so selfish when like Rufus said, she has plenty of money.

Chuck made a red onesie tracksuit sexy. Behold the power of Ed Westwick.

I love that he paid the dowry and did so to set Blair free. Like he said to Blair, if he was just trying to claim his prize, why didn't he collect? If he was "buying" her, wouldn't he want her to know about his "purchase" rather than hiding it from her? I also enjoyed that Blair implied that there was a prize to collect. Chuck was all-around amazing this episode and I'm just waiting for Blair to realize this (again). Paying the dowry is very representative of both coming full circle and getting a fresh start, IMO.

I thought it was very mature of Chuck to ask Blair for advice. It was sweet that he acknowledged that she was there for him when no one else was and he put a lot of weight on Blair's opinion, which I liked. While I think it's fully justified for Blair to be upset regarding the hotel incident and to be distrusting of Chuck, I find her reactions to be a season too late, especially considering what seemed to be the ultimate forgiveness in 5.10. Furthermore, if Chuck and Blair are really "over" and have moved on, why so much anger? Why not just let bygones be bygones instead of rehashing the past? It seems like the anger is coming from fear - either from being hurt by him again or losing him.

I'm glad Serena could offer some heartfelt advice to Chuck - I'm a sucker for sibling CS moments.

Dan was a jerk for most of the episode. His comment to Nate, "Come on. This is Chuck we're talking about" was absurd given that Dan had a front row seat to Chuck's growth earlier this season (and a million other selfless things Chuck has done throughout the series). While I do think it was sweet for Dan to stage that whole ordeal at the Met, I felt like Blair wasn't into it. The look on her face when he gave her the tiara looked like she was placating Dan for his kindness rather than actually enjoying herself.

Edited by DevilRedeemed, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:47 AM.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Diana Payne continues to be the most ridiculous character on this show which is saying something- honestly as much fun as the Serena/ Lola storyline was it was impossible to take her seriously

I almost felt sorry for Chuck over the Dowry thing because I genuinely think he thought he was doing the right thing and that he was being entirely selfless- but Chuck was not being honest about why he paid the dowry (maybe not even honest with himself); it was intertwined with his feelings for Blair and the problem with that is-even if he is telling himself it was 100% selfless- it's not what Blair wanted him to do- in fact it's what she specifically asked him not to do-it it just indicates that yet again, however well intentioned- Chuck doesn't actually listen to Blair, or what Blair wants, he isn't letting her fix her own mess or make her own decisions and Blair is perfectly capable of making her own decisions

oh and I forgot to add that one of my favourite things about the MET scene was that simple but genuine 'Thank You' from Blair which was so wonderful

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

I'm not usually one to buy in to the whole moonlighting thing. Where once you put two characters together it ruins everything. But man, Dair was terribly boring last night. I was never on the bandwagon that wanted them together, but I always enjoyed their witty banter and now thats gone so I'm left with nothing.

I have no idea what they are doing with Serena. I would love to see her have a breakdown and then Dan come to the rescue after Blair inevtiably goes back to Chuck. Not because I want Blair back with Chuck, but I mean c'mon, it's going to happen. Thats the way this dumb show works.

I see the victimization of Ivy continues, and I suppose we the audience should feel sorry for her because Rufus is beginning too. Sorry show, but she stole Lola's identity and took her money. I guess the cops and lawyers forgot about that part. It doesn't matter if she defrauded CeCe. She already committed a crime. Nevermind she denied Lola an opportunity to connect with her grandmother and extended family. But hey, Ivy was there for CeCe at the end so I guess she should get rich.

This has been the best stretch of episodes for Nate in the show's history I think. I've never cared one second about him and yet in the last 5-10 episodes I do. So congratulations show on that.

ConnieBillard

ConnieBillard

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Dair is really the only thing worth watching on this show anymore, for me at least.

I've gone from loving Chuck to being hot and cold on him to just plain hating him. I'm just so over his whispering and his Blair obsession and mommy issues. I would have loved the tracksuit in Seasons 1 and 2-- now he's lost his cool to me and it all seems forced and contrived, much like Chair at this point.

Loving Blair since she finally found a man who is sane and sweet. She was adorable this episode and Dan is just plain wonderful.

I don't mind Diana. I do mind Nate, or rather Chace's horrible acting. It's hard for me to take him seriously on any level and he's really only tolerable when he's in scenes with Blair, Serena, Dan and, to a lesser extent, Chuck.

I kind of like Serena cuckoo. I've always found her "off" and kind of sad and I'm happy to at least see her embracing the crazy I always felt was there.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

Dan was a jerk for most of the episode. His comment to Nate, "Come on. This is Chuck we're talking about" was absurd given that Dan had a front row seat to Chuck's growth earlier this season

Seemed perfectly legit to me, it was only a few eps ago he was taking his laptop and offering him coffee. Then proceeded to sleep with Dan’s agent and nearly ruined his writing career. Like me, Dan probably doesn’t see or buy Chuck's growth. Chuck always has ulterior motives and whether deliberately or just sub consciously, seeking out Blair on the day the divorce went through, after he payed the dowry is very suspicious.

oh and I forgot to add that one of my favourite things about the MET scene was that simple but genuine 'Thank You' from Blair which was so wonderful

Sorry, all I heard was 'I love you' ;)

Edited by Aftershock, Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:31 PM.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

STOP USING ME WHILE I'M TRYING TO USE YOU! GAWD!

Pixles

Pixles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

Dair is all I watch for now, only saw their scenes and they were sweet! The looks they gave each other on the MET steps were swooning.

xCosmicLove

xCosmicLove

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Chuck is a beautiful man -- selfless, understanding, grownup, and sincere. His journey is definitely the best thing about this season. Only Chuck Bass (and Ed Westwick) could pull off a bright red onesie.

At this point, I'm thinking that Diana is not Chuck's mother just because of how obvious it would be. I feel like it could be misdirection to make people think Diana gave him blood, when in fact, it was Bart. However, if it turns out that Diana IS his mother, I will be forever confused because I don't get why Elizabeth had that locket and I will roll my eyes for weeks at Safran's propensity for retcons.

Blair seemed unnecessarily cold to Chuck, considering that in 5.8 she had already acknowledged that Chuck had changed, and that in 5.10, he was ďeverything sheíd ever wanted.Ē To suddenly regress back to episode 3.18 seemed like poor writing and too little too late. On the other hand, I think it was a positive thing in that it will clear the air for them to start over in the healthiest way possible, while still having consuming love. Because letís be honest, if Blair wasnít still madly in love with him, her reaction to him would be a little less fiery.

I will say that I'm glad that Chuck got to walk away from her just once this season after all of the times she's walked away from him and left him heartbroken and confused. And as much as I dislike the retcons and rewriting of characters, I feel confident in the point being to make Chuck and Blair equals so that when they finally do reunite, it will be for good.

I'm still not understanding the point of making Ivy a series regular when the storylines are so focused on Lola right now and she actually is related to Serena. Not sure how that's going to work.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

I almost felt sorry for Chuck over the Dowry thing because I genuinely think he thought he was doing the right thing and that he was being entirely selfless- but Chuck was not being honest about why he paid the dowry (maybe not even honest with himself); it was intertwined with his feelings for Blair and the problem with that is-even if he is telling himself it was 100% selfless- it's not what Blair wanted him to do- in fact it's what she specifically asked him not to do-it it just indicates that yet again, however well intentioned- Chuck doesn't actually listen to Blair, or what Blair wants, he isn't letting her fix her own mess or make her own decisions and Blair is perfectly capable of making her own decisions

All of this! Chuck wasn't being honest with himself (IMO) as this post noted. This is why CHAIR can't be, yet, for now....ever? Until Chuck really changes and works on himself in a continued way.

As for Diana, I like that Liz Hurley is so OTT. I guess it doesn't bother me because I just expect it. All the excessive plummy accent (even for Liz, she's amping it up), the cougar persona....I'm ok with it. She's certainly different as far as the show goes. lol. I suppose I don't mind either because she still looks amazing and fits in better physically than, say, Hilary Duff did (again JMO).

ETA:

At this point, I'm thinking that Diana is not Chuck's mother just because of how obvious it would be. I feel like it could be misdirection to make people think Diana gave him blood, when in fact, it was Bart.

Good call, that could be. It's been bothering me, too, how obvious it's become. I hope they do throw in a twist instead.

Edited by diorella78, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:15 PM.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

I love Dan and Blair. He called her right away when he found out about the dowery and didn't accuse her of being shady, she didn't freak out on him for snooping into her business and seeing the divorce papers. Nobody made excuses for their actions. Dan knew what Blair would do, Blair felt comfortable just telling Dan how she felt, even if she thought it was stupid. The MET... LOVE, I tell you.

I acutally feel for Chuck here, as I don't think he was being selfish in the dowry thing, but only a bit. It was his jelousy that caused the problem in the first place, sending the picture, so him paying the price and watching Blair be happy isn't exactly unjust pennance. And, if Blair's happieness is really his goal, then he should be happy that the mission was acomplished and move on. Yea, he loves her, but they aren't good for each other, as they have both recognized at this point, and going to her for advice and understanding is just not a good idea. I kind of wish that he had other people to talk to though. I don't hate Chuck. I actually still really love him in all his fucked up, red onesy glory, but I just don't see him and Blair as an endgame unless he completely changes his personality. I don't really want that for him.

Serena is...a stone bitch really. WTF is her problem? I wish she would make up her mind about who she wants to be. Her "poor pitiful rich and famous me" thing is wearing thin and she obvoulsy never really wanted out of the spotlight. I hope this GG thing comes back and bites her in the ass like a starving shark in the water.

Nate is dumb, but pretty. The first damn thing I though of when he was all "Aiden is 16 btw" was, dude, you would be in trouble too dumbass. Well...ok, the first thing I thought was "16? hahahahahahahahaha gasp hahahahahahahaha" the other thing was right after that though.

Was that really David Gregory playing Aiden? Damn. He's still fine. Look out for chandeliers dude.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

No Second Troy

I almost felt sorry for Chuck over the Dowry thing because I genuinely think he thought he was doing the right thing and that he was being entirely selfless- but Chuck was not being honest about why he paid the dowry (maybe not even honest with himself); it was intertwined with his feelings for Blair and the problem with that is-even if he is telling himself it was 100% selfless- it's not what Blair wanted him to do- in fact it's what she specifically asked him not to do-it it just indicates that yet again, however well intentioned- Chuck doesn't actually listen to Blair, or what Blair wants, he isn't letting her fix her own mess or make her own decisions and Blair is perfectly capable of making her own decisions.

This is exactly how I saw it. Chuck wasn't necessarily actively angling, but a part of him was still hoping it lead to fixing things with Blair. (And, though I believe it was not his motivation or intention when he paid the dowry, I don't for a minute think he wouldn't tell her about what he did later if he suddenly thought the gesture would help him.)

And he really just doesn't get it. I thought I remembered a specific conversation wherein Blair told him not to pay the dowry (which is why I was confused by his surprise when Dan told him the consequences of sending the photo). She even explained her reasons being that it would be like he bought her freedom and by extension her. He either doesn't listen or cannot grasp the meaning of what she is saying.

STOP USING ME WHILE I'M TRYING TO USE YOU! GAWD!

Hee.

I totally forgot about the Lily/Ivy (hee with the botanical names) storyline. It's probably because I find it stupid and boring. Ivy is moderately sympathetic in that I think she genuinely liked the Rhodes (more fool her) and wanted to be a part of them. But then she is incredibly stupid in that she cannot grasp that they don't have to like her and may never like her. SHE LIED TO THEM AND DEFRAUDED THEM. The fact that she genuine liked them makes her (slightly) more interesting as a character, but it doesn't make what she did ok.

And Lily is kinda being awful. I get that she's probably hurt that her mother chose to give the money to a near stranger who perpetrated a fraud on them, but as has been noted, she's mostly mad at the wrong person. Thought I think she has a legitimate reason to be mad at Ivy for the prior lying and the current ouster from her home, the min issue is what Cece did. And lying and being spiteful is not terribly sympathetic.

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

And he really just doesn't get it. I thought I remembered a specific conversation wherein Blair told him not to pay the dowry (which is why I was confused by his surprise when Dan told him the consequences of sending the photo). She even explained her reasons being that it would be like he bought her freedom and by extension her. He either doesn't listen or cannot grasp the meaning of what she is saying.

So, if Blair is drowning to death and tells Chuck to let her save herself, he should just stand there and let her lungs fill with water?

Anyway, Blair thanked him at the end, so she is obviously grateful to him.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

So, if Blair is drowning to death and tells Chuck to let her save herself, he should just stand there and let her lungs fill with water?

I don't think it is really a comparable situation. This was a financial thing and she asked him not to get involved. She has the right to ask him to stay out of it. Someone drowning who rejects assistance is probably out of their mind and shouldn't be heeded. But a person that wants to take care of something financial in their own way has the right to make that decision, even if it is an emotional decision that may not be the most expedient.

If he said he did it because he felt responsible that would also be different, but he didn't even acknowledge that he did something spiteful that help lead to the situation. In any case, I think Blair does appreciate that he tried to help, but she is justified in not trusting his motives and in saying that it doesn't change the fact that it makes her feel like he views her as property.

I like Chuck, but he fixes things with money and/or grand gestures and usually only after he does something monumentally insensitive in the first place.

Edited by RachelKM, Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:19 PM.

sanaa91

sanaa91

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

There was entirely too much Lola and Diana in this episode. They are dull, and Diana makes my ears bleed every time she opens her mouth.

Serena is really bad replacement for Gossip Girl and I find it astounding that Georgina thought it a good idea to hand it over to her. And what was Serena even doing in this episode? It seemed like she was talking about how tired she is of being Gossip Girlís target. But if sheís Gossip Girl then she can just *not* post about herself and that would solve the problem wouldnít it? I donít understand why she thought she had to replace herself with a new ďItĒ girl in order to get out of the spotlight. She could simply have stepped out of it on her own.

But then by the end of the episode she was jealous of Lola for being the new ďItĒ girl, as if she hadnít been the one to orchestrate the whole thing. So she sends a blast calling herself the one and only ďItĒ girl. And sheís basically ended up exactly where she was at the beginning of the episode.

I didnít notice until much, much later that Ivy was absent from this episode. I guess the fact that Rufus and Lily couldnít stop talking about her made up for it. I thought it was both funny and sad that these two are having this argument again. The one where Lily keeps something from Rufus and and he seems shocked that Lily van der Woodsen could ever do such a thing. I donít understand why they have to have this fight at least once a season.

I also donít understand why Blair had to be quite so mean to Chuck when he came over seeking advice. Yes, itís true that she acts cold and bitchy with people she loves but is trying to keep at a distance. But itís normally portrayed better than this. This time we didnít even get her POV. So she didnít seem like an insecure, vulnerable girl acting like a bitch to appear strong and in control. She just seemed like a bitch. I blame the writing.

Though I absolutely loved the scene where the elevator doors open and Chuck is there and he and Blair stare at each other. What was it, 3 seconds? With no dialogue? Had more chemistry than any Dan and Blair scene.

Iím pretty sure all the reminders of mid season 3 were not an accident. Chuck is trying to get in contact with Elizabeth. Chuck comes to talk to Blair (the only other person who was really with Chuck throughout the whole ordeal) about Elizabeth. Chuck pays Blairís dowry, and Blair accuses him of trying to buy her the way he sold her that night. But I think this episode marks the official end of that whole issue, because now Chuck has in a way done the opposite of what he did 2 years ago. He is not treating Blair like property. He is setting her free (from Louis, who actually is sort of treating her like property) so that she can do what she wants with her life. He doesnít expect anything. I am so proud of him, and so annoyed with Blair.

Itís just incredible to me that the story is being written so that Blair is not shown mourning her failed marriage, her failed life in general or her miscarried pregnancy, yet she is shown mourning the fact that she never got to be a princess. Wow. I donít know this Blair.

The Dan and Blair scene at the end was so cheesy. I wanted to vomit. She looked like that princess that Mario is always saving, only with brown hair. But the scene does show that Dan is not really helping her move forward with her life and figure out who Blair Waldorf is outside of the princess role, or any role. She needs someone to push her forward, not keep her in this regressed state. And the gesture he made didnít exactly scream ďboyfriendís gesture of loveĒ to me. Their whole scene seemed very platonic. And just before she kisses him she looks at him and you can see she doesnít *want* to kiss him but feels she should. Then she pulls away quickly and has a slight frown and then looks at him with this uncertain expression. If it wasnít already obvious that Dan is just not it for her, I think that scene made it painfully clear.

The Dan and Nate scene was funny and frustrating. Nate really has to learn when to keep his mouth closed. He hadnít really said too much when he said Chuck didnít have many liquid assets at the moment. But he made it totally obvious he was hiding something when he said he shouldnít have mentioned anything. Thatís what cued Dan that something was up. Oh, Nate. And I thought it was hilarious that Dan was so obviously panicking about Chuck doing something to get Blair back. He knows if he and Chuck were on an even playing field (as in, if Blair was brought back to her senses) then Chuck could easily win Blair over. I took immense pleasure in his discomfort. Of course, then he said that Chuck would never do anything nice for Blair and I wanted to pummel him with a sack of bricks. Itís one thing when Blair says things like this because she hasnít *seen* Chuckís growth firsthand. But Dan was there for a lot of it. He knows Chuck has changed.

I hate that Elizabeth is not the mother. I hate that that whole storyline from season 3 just got ripped up and thrown away in just one sentence from Andrew Tyler.

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Chuck is a beautiful man -- selfless, understanding, grownup, and sincere.

I completely agree that he is all of these things. Chuck is flawless, red onesie and all. Just paying dowries and having mature conversations with an ex girlfriend that he's still in love with like it's no biggie. I love how he's staying out of Blair's love life, but still trying to stay connected to her and this time, in a healthy way. It is interesting to me that Chuck and Blair manage to have more chemistry just looking at each other than Dan and Blair do when they kiss. Chuck did an amazing thing and I think the more Blair realizes that her chances of being heartbroken by Chuck are slim, the more she starts to ponder their future. What's going on now seems to be heavily paralleling what happened in 5.7 with Blair being in denial about Chuck's growth, only to realize it's legitimate and that she wants to be with him.

As a side note, Blair's current level of crazy knows NO bounds. "What's that? Chuck did something amazingly nice and selfless for me? I need to go yell at him ASAP." Um, ok. You do that. And I found her line about "rock bottom" to be very telling at the MET. That was indeed rock bottom for Blair Waldorf.

Limabean

Limabean

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

So if Chuck paid the dowry, what happened with Georgina's trip to Monaco? I think last we saw she was on her way to the airport to catch a flight. Wasn't she going to get Blair out of this mess without anyone having to pay at all and Blair was going to owe her a major favor? It was all really rushed and not well explained, but still, where's G and what happened?

MarigoldSkye

MarigoldSkye

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

I was very satisfied with Blair's attitude towards Chuck in regards to him paying the dowry. She asked him not to do so, he did it, and she was upset. I did appreciate that she mentioned the hotel as well, because this show so often tends to rewrite history and make things seem lesser than they are, and it was nice to see that it is not all forgotten forever.

I also cannot blame Dan for not trusting Chuck, though it's a shame he's already so worried about Chuck wiggling his way into his relationship with Blair.

I didn't find myself bored with Dan and Blair, though that was probably because they shared maybe five minutes of airtime and the rest was the Lola/Serena/Diana show and frankly I just don't care about any of them. Serena is just straight up horrible right now. It's not nice to watch.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

Though the Dan/ Nate scenes are great- i am not a huge fan of Bass family drama- I would have liked to have seen more between Chuck and Nate but their one scene was completely ruined by that ridiculous red onesie Chuck was wearing- it looked like he's escaped from Santa's workshop- it was incredibly distracting- I can barely remember what was said in the scene because the elf outfit was so ludicrous- I refuse to believe any grown man would ever be seen dead in it except at Halloween- I think if Jack had seen him in it he might have tried to get him committed

Edited by No Second Troy, Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:27 PM.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

Chuck was only putting out the fire he started, he has the means and it was commendable but letís hold off with the Knighthood. The fact Blair specifically told him not to pay it is the issue. She understands that CB are unbalanced and clearly hasnít forgetting the IP, so no wonder she lashed out, I loved it, Blair not being passive and standing up for herself, her dignity, protecting herself from being dragging in again . "You thought you could buy me back, just like you sold me for your hotel." Is a powerful line and it once again brought front and centre, the lowest point in CBs relationship. She may have been grateful at the end but there is no getting away from it, two seasons down the line.

A lot are questioning Blair about losing her princess thing but initially she was delighted with the news, jumped into Dorotaís arms. She had some time to think then and I believe it wasnít the vanity of being a princess but the loss of one of her lifelong goals and "one more thing to mourn" tells me she was just reflecting on all sheís lost and been through this year. It was a nice scene for Blair.