7-20: "Trilogy Time" 2012.04.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

68 replies to this topic

thalia ann

thalia ann

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

While I certainly hope that Ted will meet, woo, wed and bed the Mother soon, if TPTB want to streeeeeeeeeeetch things out just a wee bit longer it is possible that Ted meets a woman who is heavy with child in January 2015 or someone with a newborn in time for the May 2015 sweeps.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

In "Last Cigarette Ever" it was indicated that Marshall quit smoking the day his son was born, so it is pretty unlikely that it will be a girl.

My dad quit smoking when I was born, not when my brother was born who is three years older than me. So it is possible they had a girl first and then a boy after and that's when he quit.

I still hold that over his head, by the way.

Calvada

Calvada

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

I had this show on my living room TV at the same time I was doing dishes in the kitchen, so I did not have watch the final scene, just listened to it. Was Ted wearing a wedding ring? And I wouldn't put it past the show to do a fake-out, and have the baby be Lily & Marshall's second child, for whom Ted is the godfather.

I too think Barney marries Robin, since why else would the bride ask to see the best man? Also, Lily seems to be in what might be a bridesmaid's dress, with those matching shoes. Or maybe it's just my old self saying who would wear those bright pink shoes if they didn't have to?!

I thought the "three years from now" thing was a bit overdone. A kid might think when I am grown up I'm going to have a cool job, live in an apartment with my friends, carry a briefcase, and have a mustache! But going from 28 to 31 or whatever it was, an adult would have a much more realistic view of where they wuold be in three years. Or at least one would hope they would!

hnygrl808

hnygrl808

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

Remember the good ole days, when you would sit down and WATCH this show and not have it on in the background? I was making dinner while the show was on. Didn't used to do that...Ah well...only reason it's on at all is I'm determined to meet the damn mother after putting me through the trainwreck this show has become!
Ted's new apartment is FABULOUS. LOVE It. Other than that?

Eh...I don't buy Barney and Quinn, no chemistry. They're the "good on paper" couple, but on screen? NO Chemistry. NONE. I know NPH is gay but he had more on-screen chemistry with ROBIN than he ever did with Quinn.

And why would the bride want to talk to the best man if the bride was Quinn? Ted doesn't like Quinn, and frankly, Quinn really doesn't seem to like Barney's friends either.

I'm thinking there's gonna be a wedding, but it won't be Barney and Quinn, and if it is, it won't get to the "You may now kiss the bride" stage before it's stopped. I just can't see Barney marrying Quinn.

Edited by hnygrl808, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:54 PM.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

That, my friends is a filler episode if ever there was one.

WestCar20

WestCar20

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I could see Quinn asking Ted to tell Barney she's bailing on their wedding. On the other hand, I could see a very short marriage between the two (Quinn could cheat on Barney, ask for a divorce or die). There is no reason that Barney would have been hiding his left hand in the last scene if he were wearing a ring, since we know his wedding is coming.

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

I thought it was interesting that the only trilogy scene that didn't feature Robin was the Real 2015 scene. Any significance to that, I wonder?

Ted says he didn't see Robin for a very long time after that night at MacLaren's. Three years isn't so outrageous...

I chalk most of it up to the writers keeping us guessing, though. It was "guys only," with the exception of Ted's daughter. That also explained Lily's absence, and Ted's wife. Even if Robin is in the picture, she'd have no reason to be there.

There is no reason that Barney would have been hiding his left hand in the last scene if he were wearing a ring, since we know his wedding is coming.

We also know that he has doubts about his wedding, though. After all, Ted had a wedding too. By keeping Barney's hand hidden, it's one more element that is kept a surprise--- does he get married to Quinn? To Robin? To anyone? Does he stay married?

(Other posters have pointed out that TPTB have said that Barney does in fact get hitched, but not everyone reads interviews, and I like to interpret the show based on what is actually shown on TV-- what the writers want us to see within the sitcom itself. If it's important, it's there on the screen. But YMMV.)

BrandyLeigh

BrandyLeigh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

I figured they just had Barney hide his hand because they want to keep us guessing as to whether or not Barney goes through with it or whether he gets a divorce before 2015. So he could very well still be married, but they just don't want us to know that yet.

I actually really liked this one. I liked the idea of thinking about what your life is going to be like in three years, and then of course, it turns out that it's completely different from what you imagined. Although as Calvada said, I thought some of their fantasies were a little out there. I mean, in your late twenties, do you really imagine that in three years you'll be married to your wife and still sharing an apartment with your best friends? I know it was supposed to be funny (and I laughed!) but it didn't really seem like something someone would imagine at that stage in their life.

And of course, we knew Ted was going to have to get around to having those kids pretty soon, but I still awwwwwed over seeing him holding his daughter. I think there's plenty of time for Ted and the Mother to do things the "traditional" way. If we assume they meet in next season's finale, May 2013, they could get married in May 2014, be newlyweds for like six months, and then get pregnant and have the baby sometime towards the end of 2015. It's always possible that they introduce the Mother before next May, but I have my doubts about that.

I agree with Luckylyn that it's not that weird that Barney is going overboard with Quinn trying to commit to her. I mean, it's a little weird, but I understand it. Barney wanted a serious commitment with Robin, but she rejected him, and now he's tired of the whole womanizing thing, and Quinn comes along. We don't really know much about her, but she and Barney like having sex and they're both manipulative, so I guess for now that's supposed to be enough. I still don't understand why they're rushing things so fast with them moving in together so quickly, though (beyond them wanting us to think she's who Barney is marrying). Unlike Luckylyn, though, I'm still fairly confident Robin is the one Barney ends up marrying. I think the writers have backed off of it for now because they really want us to assume that Barney is marrying Quinn, but I don't think he will.

Speaking of Quinn, I thought it was weird that she said she sold all of her stuff except for the mugs. I mean, first of all it made Barney look like a dick for not even wanting her mugs around when that was the only thing she brought over, but what woman is totally fine with getting rid of all of their things because their boyfriend likes their apartment the way it is? I can understand why she'd get rid of her furniture and maybe a bunch of other clutter, but everything? Surely she had some things she owned that she would like to keep beyond some mugs.

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Was Ted wearing a wedding ring?

Yes.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

I am fanwanking that the only reason Ted's daughter was there was because something came up and he had to watch her (maybe wife had an emergency at work or something). I cant imagine that he would deliberately plan to watch a movie marathon with an infant who is going to need attention.

I thought Ted purposefully brought his daughter so that she could see the trilogy?

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

This is one of those HIMYM eps that I couldn't really recommend for quality or comedy's sake, but I still enjoyed it because I related to it and just have a comfort level with all the characters at this point. I'm a huge Star Wars geek, so they pretty much had me at the story's foundation. Marshall's "A-Greedo!" made me giggle like a little girl. Aaand, hubby and I are trying for a baby, so the last scene made me melt.

Other than that, I mostly felt sorry for Robin. I wouldn't feel bad if she could embrace and enjoy her alone-ness, like her character was meant to do, but her "What honey? Oh yeah, I'm alone," just seemed pathetic, especially with Barney at the table.

Edited by IseutLaBrune, Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:08 PM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Eh...I don't buy Barney and Quinn, no chemistry. They're the "good on paper" couple, but on screen? NO Chemistry.

They're flat for me too. I think I'm just several emotions behind the actual plot. I'm still in that bar where Robin inexplicably chooses what's-his-name instead, and meanwhile Barney has moved on, dated someone new, and reached the stage of talking about the future with them. It feels more surreal than romantic. In fact, it couldn't feel more surreal to me if she was Barney's imaginary girlfriend.

(Other posters have pointed out that TPTB have said that Barney does in fact get hitched, but ...)

Ever since Lost, I take all TPTB statements with a grain of salt.

Oregon222

Oregon222

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

The thing that jumped out at me--and I just rewatched to make sure--was that 2015 Barney/Marshall/Ted and NarratorTed never actually say the baby is Ted's daughter. It seemed pretty deliberate to not say daughter or something specific to confirm it's really Ted's daughter.

Maybe he's just happy and content about holding his niece or god-daughter or Punchy's cute kid.

cryyhavoc

cryyhavoc

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

That, my friends is a filler episode if ever there was one.

Definitely. Also, boring, not funny, and tedious.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Even with all the crap the show has pulled lately (namely, Robin's imaginary children), I'd be really shocked if it turned out that the baby was anyone other than Ted's biological daughter.

LadyNebula

LadyNebula

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

Did anyone catch who the presidents were in each imaginary year? I know Gore was the first one. but I missed the other two(?).

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

Did anyone catch who the presidents were in each imaginary year? I know Gore was the first one. but I missed the other two(?).

2. Howard Dean, headline was something about him calmly delivering a speech.
3. Dennis Kucinich, headline was something about him still being awesome.

somehetero

somehetero

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

The president during the "Lonely Ted" flash forward was W, and the headline read "Bush elected to surprise 3rd term!"

Am I the only one who's not buying that the baby is Ted's? It seemed like they were going out of their way with the dialogue to avoid anything that definitively made the baby Ted's daughter by way of the mother. Could be an adopted child that Ted took on after failing to find the mother for 3 more years. Could be his sister's kid. Could be, as someone else said, Marshall and Lily's daughter. It just seemed to me like another classic HIMYM future flash-forward fake-out.

Edited by somehetero, Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:34 AM.

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

The way I see it, the show has two current problems, both highlighted in this episode:
1) In the early years they'd sometimes have these quirky, almost "theme" episodes that played with a different style of storytelling. But this one, rather than being one of those (which back in the day I usually found really effective and funny), seemed more like it was trying to be another one of those episodes. Like a copy of a copy. It didn't feel genuine. It was trying too hard. Like someone got in a room and said "ok so we'll flash forward every three years", which should have plenty of humor to mine; but then they got lazy, like the concept was enough. The jokes can even be ridiculous but they have to be grounded in something. Marshall with his moustache, I bought. That was very Marshall of him. The presidents thing? Also funny. But the rest, even for intentional-over-the-topness, I just wasn't buying it. It has to resonate as a believable exaggeration of how someone might project three years, and it failed to do that for me. It just seemed goofy for goofy's sake, and the most completely obvious psychoanalyze-the-characters'-current-frame-of-mind-and-project-it route. (Although I did appreciate the "and for some reason we still live together!") Yes, I think that's it: the jokes didn't surprise me and thus did not make me laugh.
2) The writers recently have ended up with a lot more "tell" when they should have "show". This pisses me off to no end, but at the same time, they've cornered themselves with so many switchbacks, and a ha!s that anytime they leave anything even remotely ambiguous, and show anything but don't state it explicitly, for me it feels like suddenly there's this wiggle room. It might seem really clear and obvious what they're implying without directly stating it (which should be yay! That's how I like my writing.) but instead it's "oh crap, is this another bait and switch?" So I can't even enjoy what should be a simple scene with subtext, because I end up assuming later the rug will be pulled out.

Both issues really amount to: they've played these cards before; I'm onto them; and it's less fun that way.

Edited by theatremouse, Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:43 AM.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

Am I the only one who's not buying that the baby is Ted's? It seemed like they were going out of their way with the dialogue to avoid anything that definitively made the baby Ted's daughter by way of the mother. Could be an adopted child that Ted took on after failing to find the mother for 3 more years. Could be his sister's kid. Could be, as someone else said, Marshall and Lily's daughter. It just seemed to me like another classic HIMYM future flash-forward fake-out.

I get why a lot of people seem to have this opinion, what with all the fake-outs the show has done before. I'm not really seeing it with this instance, though.

Barney said that Ted was the one who brought along the girl to watch the movie with them - if it was Marshall's kid then Marshall would've brought her even if Ted was the one who ended up holding her. And if it was Marshall's daughter then I would think that he rather than Ted would be the one schooling her on how cool Star Wars is. Plus his son would also be there, since 2015 would be the son's first opportunity to share in the tradition.

And some people have asked why Marshall's kid(s) wasn't there ... the point of Ted with the baby was simply to show that Marshall was right that 2015 would indeed be Ted's time for happiness. I don't think there's any hidden message there about Marshall's kid(s). It could've been the three guys sitting around watching the movie and Ted could've remarked that the wife and baby were at home or out with Lily/Robin, but the visual of him holding his little girl packed more of an emotional punch for the audience, especially since we've never seen him and his kids together before this.

Ted was clearly wearing a wedding ring, so it doesn't seem to suggest that he adopted a child by himself. And the, "Thank goodness she takes after her mother" shows that he's got a lot of affection for the baby's mother. I don't think he'd break a long-standing *Guys Only* tradition with his friends to bring along his infant niece or a friend's baby.

I think the biggest proof that it's his kid was when they were starting up the movie in 2012 and he looked miserable because he was still alone, and then Future Ted said something along the lines of, "Little did I know that exactly three years later ..." and then they showed him with a baby. And then Marshall asked how their lives could be better in 2018 and Ted smiled at the baby and said he didn't want anything to be different. He didn't want anything better because he had finally gotten everything he'd ever wanted. He was really upset in 2012 about not having a family, so I very much doubt that he'd give up on that dream within three years and learn to be content being an uncle to someone else's kid. Especially since we know for a fact that he eventually does get married and have children.

I *really* doubt he'd be showing the level of contentment and happiness that he had in the 2015 scene, unless he had finally gotten what he always wanted, which was to be married and a father. The only fakeout I got from this episode was that there were about five seconds where we were led to believe that Ted had brought along his girlfriend/wife to the showing, and then we saw that Barney and Marshall were talking about a baby girl instead. As soon as Barney said that Ted had brought a chick I knew they'd be referring to a baby, but it was still very cute and heartwarming to see.

ETA:

2) The writers recently have ended up with a lot more "tell" when they should have "show". This pisses me off to no end, but at the same time, they've cornered themselves with so many switchbacks, and a ha!s that anytime they leave anything even remotely ambiguous, and show anything but don't state it explicitly, for me it feels like suddenly there's this wiggle room. It might seem really clear and obvious what they're implying without directly stating it (which should be yay! That's how I like my writing.) but instead it's "oh crap, is this another bait and switch?" So I can't even enjoy what should be a simple scene with subtext, because I end up assuming later the rug will be pulled out.

I agree, I think this is the issue here. I really don't think the baby is anyone except Ted's biological daughter with his wife, but past bait-and-switch situations (again, I'm specifically referring to Robin's imaginary children - which made me want to throw something at my television, by the way) have got me thinking, "O.K., I can see where the posters here have a point when they suggest that this might be his niece, or a daughter that he adopted on his own or something."

If this is indeed a fakeout and it's not Ted's biological daughter with his wife, I don't see it as the writers trying to be clever and the audience simply not liking it (which is what I think happened with Robin's imaginary children). I'd see it more as a gigantic F.U. from the writers.

Edited by mbd, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:37 AM.

EolivetB

EolivetB

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I just thought it was funny that Ted and Marshall's fantasies about the future went into the past...from a "Downton Abbey" world in 2003 to a "Mad Men" one in 2006.

CoveredInGaston

CoveredInGaston

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

I'd be happy to be wrong, but it seems like the show is beating us over the head so much with Quinn and how perfect she is that it's almost unavoidable that Barney will end up marrying Robyn. It's obvious and everyone can dread it coming from a mile away, so perfect for this show!

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

Wait I thought people were mad cause Barney is going to end up with Quinn? :p

MisoJonathan

MisoJonathan

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

I think that I am the only person against Barney and Robin...

On a personal level, I see the most chemistry between Ted and Robin, but nobody agrees with me. It could be that Josh Radnor and Cobie Smulders have the most chemistry as actors, but Barney and Robin were a terrible couple. It was self-destructive and full of lies. I just think everyone needs to move on from this relationship... Seriously.

SydNC

SydNC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

After what Robin did to Barney, if he ends up with her, I will stop watching the show. She totally screwed him over and broke his heart. I like Barney and Quinn much better. What makes Barney and Quinn work is that Barney doesn't have to try. He is just himself. He always put a lot of work into dating Robin and Nora. It shouldn't have had to be that way. Quinn is better for Barney than Robin is.

Robin always seems to have a case of wanting what she can't have. She didn't want Ted, Ted starts to date Victoria, then she wanted him. She didn't want Barney, then he starts dating Nora, then she wanted him. She doesn't want kids, now she can't have them, now she wants them. If you ever want to sleep with Robin, just tell her she is not allowed to sleep with you.

skateCO

skateCO

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

People really seem to hate Quinn. Mostly because she's not Robin.

FWIW, I am extremely anti Barney-Robin AND Barney-Quinn. Really I'm anti-Barney-anyone, because part of his character is being a pickup artist, and I don't see why we can't occasionally have a sitcom character who is totally okay with being single and dating around. Marriage isn't for everyone.

I thought the finale of "Cheers" was extremely effective because of this, since it let Sam be himself and find happiness with his bar rather than a wife. I was hoping that Barney would have an ending like this, if not his own spinoff. This "everybody needs somebody" trope is also why I hated "Friends" in the later years, because TPTB were so frantic to get everyone matchy-matchy. I liked Ross-Rachel because that was the thread of the whole series, but Monica-Chandler, Phoebe-some random guy, and Joey-Rachel were ridiculous. Marshall-Lilly are a true lifetime couple (and we all know some of those in our own lives) but it feels like lazy writing to have Barney-Robin when it seems like these characters are just fine on their own. We might know some people who are friends for a long time who then become romantically involved, but I think it's pretty rare. It's difficult to move somebody out of the friend zone, and I think it becomes more difficult the longer you know them.

But I loathe Quinn on her own merits so I really hope that's a five-second marriage if that's where they're going with this.

Edited by skateCO, Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:49 PM.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

I looked for a wedding ring on Barney in the end scene of "The Exploding Meatball Sub" (which was set in 2021) and I'm pretty certain he wasn't wearing one. And his left hand wasn't hidden. Ted's ring was clearly visible.

I mean, that doesn't mean much ... I don't wear my wedding ring around the house, and some people don't receive/wear them at all.

I thought it was interesting that NPH was clearly trying to hide his left hand in Trilogy Time, though. I guess because we know by now that his wedding is on the horizon and so everyone's interested.

I'm mainly against a Quinn-Barney endgame because I don't think there's anything special about the character, plus I don't think the actress and NPH have chemistry.

No matter what ending TPTB choose, though, it's probably not going to be all that great. Because (a) The Mother plotline has been ridiculously built up since the beginning of the series so it's going to be tough to live up to all that, and (b) very few sitcoms really stick the landing, anyway.

Edited by mbd, Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:05 PM.

seminoles1

seminoles1

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

I'm going to be pissed if Barney and Robin end up together. They've tried and failed miserably. She completely ripped his heart out and stomped on it less than a year ago. He's happy with Quinn. At this point it makes no sense to me for him and Robin to end up together.

As for the wedding, it seemed clear to me that Lily wasn't exactly happy with who the bride was when she came in to say that she was asking for Ted. Plus after Ted assured Barney that he chose the right tie/bride, Lily contradicted him saying Barney should go with the other tie. Lily obviously wants Barney and Robin to be together and has for a few years, and him marrying someone else would really bother her.

BrandyLeigh

BrandyLeigh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

I'm a little surprised at the apparent emotional investiture TWoP forum people have in this show's plotline.

I don't think it's that surprising. This show has chosen to spend a lot of time on Barney and Robin, mostly as friends but often as something more, as recently as this past November. So, I don't think it should come as a surprise that there are plenty of people who are invested in the outcome between two of the main characters after all this time. I completely understand that plenty of people don't like them, but again, it's not surprising that there are plenty of people who do like them and are interested in whether they end up together after they've teased it for so many years.

It's why you still see people who want Robin to somehow be the Mother, or, at the very least, they hope that Ted gets divorced and ends up with Robin. I'm not one of those people, but I can understand why there are people who are still so invested in Ted and Robin as a couple, since the show has gone to great lengths to explore their relationship, both romantically and as friends.

Yes, in reality, people often marry someone outside of their immediate group of friends. If Barney were to marry Quinn, it certainly wouldn't be unrealistic. But this is TV. This show attempts to be realistic in some ways, but it's not in others. In real life, people don't live with their serious ex-boyfriend for almost three years, but Ted and Robin did it and rarely even had any issues until just recently. In real life, a guy who has slept with almost 300 women (maybe more by now) is not funny and sometimes sweet, he's just gross, and no woman in her right mind is going to seriously settle down with him unless he's famous or something.

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

I think Barney with someone makes more sense because I've never bought his character as a womanizer. His mannerisms are just too off - like all talk and no action. So not 300 women, more like maybe 3. His character, with his love of Star Wars and secret plots and grand stories is just too quirky. The dudes on the Bachelor who mumble all the time (so as not to express any real emotions or thoughts) and pump a bit too much iron - those are the guys who bed 300 women. But I do buy him as half of a couple.