7-20: "Trilogy Time" 2012.04.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

68 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

From Comcast:

Speculations run wild as Ted, Barney and Marshall imagine what their lives will be like three years down the road.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

IMO, pretty crappy episode-derivative and mostly pointless. The only thing I really learned is that "The Mother"/Ted's wife? should become pregnant in approximately 2 years. I would then conclude that either next season or the following must be the final unless they insist on holding on and torturing us all the way through the pregnancy and birth.

Moviesnob

Moviesnob

Video Archivist

• Interests:movies, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Corgi

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

I didn't mind the time-jumping, and I enjoyed trying to pin-point where they were in the series. And seeing the old hair again. Thrilled we have a real definite point as to what's happening when - the kids obviously needed to come out sometime soon!

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

I thought the best part of the episode was Barney's neighbor who was obsessed with why he left the building every night at the same time, stopped and smiled. The rest of it was kind of meh.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Uh yeah, the only part I truly loved was the last scene, with them flashfowarding to 2015. Ted's daughter is so cute as a baby and I have to admit, Josh Radnor looked absolutely adorable holding her. I also love how, in that 2015 flashforward (I presume it was a flashfoward and not just something the men were imagining) Barney and Marshall decided to let Ted's daughter in on the Trilogy Night. Now, I guess Marshall's son doesn't join either? Hmm.

There was only one moment I laughed at, and it was Fake!2006 (I think) Lily stating that it wasn't weird at all for all of them to be still living together. I didn't like Moustache Marshall, I didn't like how dream! everyone stated what they were like in the future (especially Robin and Lily) and I didn't care for the useless filler, other than stating that sometime in 2015, presumably around summertime, Ted will have a newborn daughter. But we all knew that.

Quinn/Barney still make me angry. So I guess back in season 5, Robin was right about being 'just another number' to Barney, as everything in this episode basically stated that Quinn was the only one to make him want to settle down. Ok, thanks writers.

Eh, I didn't care for any of the fake dreams, except for the presumed actual 2015 future.

Leesaa

Leesaa

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

The best part was definitely Ted holding his baby girl at the end, so cute! Did anyone notice that NPH seemed to be trying not to show his left hand during the 2015 flash-forward? I think they want us to wonder if he actually gets married (or stays married) at the end of this season.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Ted's hair in the fake 2003(?) flashforward was glorious. "Told you it would stop growing out and start growing down."

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. NPH hiding his left hand was blatantly obvious.

So Ted's daughter was born in 2015...that means she was actually 20 when the series started. Wow. I was counting on her being younger and the series dragging on for a few more painful,pointless years. Please, please let next season be the last!

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

I'm sure there'll be a lot of fanatics slowing down and zooming in on NPH's hand in that scene. From what I saw, there was no ring but we'll have to see for sure.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

So Ted's daughter was born in 2015...that means she was actually 20 when the series started.

In the show's beginning, they were in the year 2030 which would make her 15, not 20. I would have actually put her a bit older and the son to be around 15 but maybe because I'm used to seeing the actors over the last 7 years being older.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

So if we work backwards...assuming Ted's daughter is a newborn, the Mother would have to get pregnant in 2014. I'm going to assume that Ted and Mother get pregnant right away. But they would still need to date and get married, which one would think would take at least a year. So that makes it 2013. Again, working under the assumption that this show would avoid the normal route of doing 1 season of dating, 1 season of wedding planning, 1 season of pregnancy jokes. This means Ted has to meet the Mother if not end of this season, early next year.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

This means Ted has to meet the Mother if not end of this season, early next year.

But then, going by that logic, Barney has to be married by that exact same timeframe because Ted meets The Mother at his wedding. So that would mean the ONLY person he could possibly marry is Quinn.

So let me try this logic out, see if I can tweak this a bit. Let's say that Ted meets The Mother at the end of next season. Maybe the timeline will be different, so let's say the beginning of 2013, April or May max. He and the Mother date and maybe she gets pregnant before the wedding. Either that or he gets married to The Mother quite quickly. But even if we eliminated pregnancy before wedding, if Ted meets The Mother by May of 2013, I'd say by...September-ish of 2014, The Mother should already be pregnant with their daughter. Again, depending on when this Trilogy Time takes place. For all we know, it could have been postponed to the end of 2015 after Ted's daughter is born. So it fits in the realm of possibility that Ted meets The Mother (and Barney gets married) no later than May 2013, so by the end of next season. Because that gives him over a year of them dating, getting engaged, getting married and getting pregant. And the writers can choose to make Ted get married to The Mother right away or have a long engagement or just date for months.

Girlie0879

Girlie0879

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Some parts of the episode were great, such as the reveal at the end. But others were silly, like when they kept rehashing old episode pieces.
Does anyone else feel that Quinn is a red herring? I don't think she is Barney's bride because they keep hitting it over our heads that this time is different with Barney.I don't think Quinn is a good match for the show. Has she interacted with the group besides that one episode?

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I liked this episode, one of the better ones I thought this season. I liked the flash forward and flash backs. I loved Robin in the storm trooper outfit. Marshall and the mustaches, plus the imagined futures I thought were hilarious.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

I liked this episode, although I was glad that the Quinn storyline was brief and they mainly focused on their three-year predictions. The 8 pm Fart was funny but I think it would've been funnier to reveal at the end that he was going outside to fart.

I thought it was interesting that the only trilogy scene that didn't feature Robin was the Real 2015 scene. Any significance to that, I wonder?

I kind of figured in the beginning of the episode that the eventual 2015 scene would show Ted with a baby. I think it's interesting that they've never said the kids' names ... I'm willing to bet that the boy will be named Luke.

The timeline makes sense. The Mother likely gets pregnant sometime in summer 2014, assuming that tonight's episode is set in real time. I think Ted is now at the point where he'll know if a relationship is the real thing or not (especially since we know that The Mother is the only woman he'll love after this point), so I don't think he will need more than a year of dating to know when he's found The One. And I think it's safe to assume that he's going to marry a woman who wants kids as badly as he does, and if she's also in her mid-30s then she may not want to wait longer for a family, so it's reasonable that they'd start trying for a baby right after getting married. Or that she's pregnant before their wedding, which would explain a short engagement.

So it'll work out if he meets her in the series finale in May 2013 and then marries her within a year, if they're not going to do the big reveal before the finale.

But then, going by that logic, Barney has to be married by that exact same timeframe because Ted meets The Mother at his wedding. So that would mean the ONLY person he could possibly marry is Quinn.

He knows Robin well enough to marry her at this point. It's not like they'd need to start dating again, if they were confident that they were in love for keeps.

And the bit about "Did I choose the right tie?" earlier this season implies that he's going to have to choose between two women. And I think that can only be Quinn and Robin. I don't think Ted would say "Yeah, you made the right choice" so confidently and happily if it were Quinn winning out over Robin. And I think it's more logical for Robin, rather than Quinn, to ask for Ted on her wedding day, and to send Lily out to ask for him. I think Ted is her Best Man and James is Barney's.

Syma

Syma

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Quinn/Barney still make me angry. So I guess back in season 5, Robin was right about being 'just another number' to Barney, as everything in this episode basically stated that Quinn was the only one to make him want to settle down. Ok, thanks writers.

Yeah, I don't need to see Robin and Barney get together now, because there's no way that these writers could have that make sense. They are telling me that Quin is the one to change Barney, but they haven't shown how she did that, except that she's willing to have sex with him, while wearing a storm trooper uniform.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

When they showed Robin in the Stormtrooper suit, I half expected the flashback to explain why Barney changed his statue to a clone trooper.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

Even though Ted meets the Mother at Barney's wedding, it doesn't necessarily mean that Barney goes through with it.

etagloh

etagloh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

Even though Ted meets the Mother at Barney's wedding, it doesn't necessarily mean that Barney goes through with it.

The writers have said on a few occasions this season that yes, Barney does get married.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

When they showed Robin in the Stormtrooper suit, I half expected the flashback to explain why Barney changed his statue to a clone trooper.

I could be wrong, but I believe it's gone back and forth between stormtrooper to clone trooper a few times now.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

In the show's beginning, they were in the year 2030 which would make her 15, not 20. I would have actually put her a bit older and the son to be around 15 but maybe because I'm used to seeing the actors over the last 7 years being older.

Oops, I shouldn't drink before I watch the show, but it's the only way I can get through it.

Soporific

Soporific

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

Yeah, I don't need to see Robin and Barney get together now, because there's no way that these writers could have that make sense. They are telling me that Quin is the one to change Barney, but they haven't shown how she did that, except that she's willing to have sex with him, while wearing a storm trooper uniform.

Barney's change actually began when he dated Robin. True, that relationship didn't take, but for a time he was trying to be a good boyfriend. Then came Nora, who Barney worked even harder to change for and came really, really far before that crashed and burned. By the time Barney and Quinn get together, he's already been on this path of self-improvement.

The reason Quinn works is that, unlike Nora, she knew who Barney really was right from the start. She's his match, even playing him just as much as he's played just about every woman he's ever met. She has no illusions about who she's with, and for Barney, to finally be seen by someone who really gets him, that's important. In many ways, he was trying to fake it with Nora and Robin, but he feels that he can be more real around Quinn.

Plus, meeting his father last year and realizing that if "Crazy Jerry" can do it, he can. he just had to meet the right girl. It wasn't Robin. It wasn't Nora. But it might be Quinn, and that's who I'm rooting for.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

The timeline makes sense. The Mother likely gets pregnant sometime in summer 2014, assuming that tonight's episode is set in real time.

Not sure you can get that specific, I mean all we know is that Ted has a baby in 2015, I didn't get any indication that they were watching the trilogy sometime around April 2015, just because they were watching it in April 2012. For all we know they could be watching it in December 2015 with Ted's new baby because they didn't have time earlier what with Ted's wife being preganant and all.

I think Ted is now at the point where he'll know if a relationship is the real thing or not (especially since we know that The Mother is the only woman he'll love after this point), so I don't think he will need more than a year of dating to know when he's found The One.

I can easily see it going the other way. I mean Ted told Robin he loved her the night he met her. I could totally picture the same thing happening with the mother, and then since she is Ted's perfect woman, it actually working.

Character Zero

Character Zero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

And the bit about "Did I choose the right tie?" earlier this season implies that he's going to have to choose between two women. And I think that can only be Quinn and Robin. I don't think Ted would say "Yeah, you made the right choice" so confidently and happily if it were Quinn winning out over Robin. And I think it's more logical for Robin, rather than Quinn, to ask for Ted on her wedding day, and to send Lily out to ask for him. I think Ted is her Best Man and James is Barney's.

But in the scene where Ted and Robin are in the bar didn't he say he wouldn't see her for a long time after that (was it years or months)? I can't remember the exact time span but with the 2015 baby and all it seems like he wouldn't see her at Barney's wedding.

ETA: Ok that scene was in "The Broth" and I guess he said they wouldn't see each other for a "long time". But I still wonder if she will be at Barney's wedding since it seems sooner rather than later.

Edited by Character Zero, Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:53 AM.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I noticed that in last night's episode there are no current scenes with Ted and Robin. The only time we see them together are in the flashbacks or the fake flash forwards.

I like that the show is finally moving away from the Barney/Robin crap and getting back to Ted and the Mother. It's nice to know that he will be meeting her for sure in the next year.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Wow! Robin looked gorgeous with her long wig on! And she was wearing jeans in one of the flashbacks!!

Why do we still have frumpy weird-hair Robin?

I don't understand you, show!

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

So, Barney likes boobs so much that he wishes that women had back-boobs, but then he puts his girlfriends into Storm Trooper outfits so that he has no access to them?

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

I think Barney was very ready to make a serious commitment to Robin, but she rejected him. So now that Barney has reached a point in his life when he's ready to settle down, Quin has come along. If they had met years ago he probably wouldn't be ready to move in or even consider marriage. Now Barney's reached a point when he can commit. Robin could have been the one but chose another man. Quinn has come around at the right time. I do think the relationship works but the pace of it is just too fast. I feel like the Quinn/Barney dynamic should have been what Barney/Robin had. The writers made Barney/Robin podcouple instead.

The thing about Barney and Robin is that Barney has always seemed more in love with her than she with him. Maybe it's because she doubts his ability to stop being a womanizer. The only times Robin was more in love with Barney than he with her was in Of Course and the during the Nora storyline. Of Course annoyed me because, whatever faults he had, Barney tried to be a good boyfriend to Robin. He was never unfaithful and he tried very hard to treat her well. So, I never understood why she thought he was another notch on his bedpost because he treated her differently than all the other women he'd slept with. He always cared about her beyond trying to get her into bed. If Barney makes it work with Quinn, Robin will realize she was wrong about Barney being capable of being committed and possibly regret dumping him. At this point, I wouldn't might Barney ending up with Quin. A part of me will always want Robin/Barney, but I don't think the writers are interested in making that work. I do want to see an end to creepy womanizer Barney. He can be interesting without that.

I wonder if the reason we didn't see Lily and Marshall's son at trilogy night 2015 is because they are having a girl instead of the boy they're expecting.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

I wonder if the reason we didn't see Lily and Marshall's son at trilogy night 2015 is because they are having a girl instead of the boy they're expecting.

I am fanwanking that the only reason Ted's daughter was there was because something came up and he had to watch her (maybe wife had an emergency at work or something). I cant imagine that he would deliberately plan to watch a movie marathon with an infant who is going to need attention.

Restingviolet

Restingviolet

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

In "Last Cigarette Ever" it was indicated that Marshall quit smoking the day his son was born, so it is pretty unlikely that it will be a girl.