The Client List

• Please log in to reply

203 replies to this topic

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

I thought everything between all the girls in the workplace was funny and enjoyable, as was everything with her mother. The storyline with her husband and brother-in-law holds some potential. All of that on the plus side. The stuff with helping the client by listening to his problems didn't really work in this episode, though maybe when they aren't having to set everything else up it'll work better. The other stuff was enjoyable enough to continue watching though thanks to good casting.

Oh, and they snuck some good one-liners in there. They need to keep that up.

BlossomRene

BlossomRene

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

I thought it was pretty fun yet deliciously trashy! I hadn't seen the film but I thought the pilot did a good job of setting up the characters. I knew that the brother-in-law would be her love interest as soon as I saw him. Either way this show is very fun.

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

Never saw the movie but I liked it. I think Jennifer Love Hewitt is so adorable and charming and I just like her in everything so I thought she was great. I was involved enough in the character to get invested. Riley's husband is cute and so is her brother. I new he would be the love intrest when they first interacted. JHL has chemistry with both guys. Good start.

CtLady

CtLady

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

This series is an abomination (fluffy, funny or not) and it disgusts me that Lifetime which caters to 'real women' have sunk to such depths by glossing over prostitution as a means to 'get by'. The fact that she's selling her body for money under the guise of a massage parlor rather than trolling the street corners doesn't doesn't negate the fact that she's committing a criminal act to support her kids and that if that place ever got raided her kids would be yanked out and placed into foster care.

I expected much more from Lifetime than this stupid sleaze. So much for 'empowering' women. JLH and her horse face, overly made up eyes and bad false eyelashes which she seems to sleep in just dumbed this station down big time

JenniferZ

JenniferZ

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Seemed like enjoyable fluff. I wonder if JLH gets to choose her wardrobe to a degree, because it reminded me some of her wardrobe in Ghost Whisperer (and I loved her clothes in that show).

So far I enjoy the characters and it seems well acted. I look forward to more.

nemivi

nemivi

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

It was cute and fluffy. I'm bothered by the fact that all the people she was legitimately giving a massage to were old, hairy, or annoying yet the people she was doing more for were all good looking. It feels like she's being tricked into thinking "hey, this isn't that bad" with the hot guys before things take a turn for the worse. It would be a kind of sneaky way to sucker women in. Except, given the tone of this show so far, that will probably never happen.

BlossomRene

BlossomRene

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

CtLady - I might agree with your comments if this show was on any other network. However, your point couldn't be a more inaccurate picture of Lifetime. Their movies are filled with stories of how people should not act! Why single out the Client List? I've watched lifetime for awhile and it has stories of women shooting their husbands, rape, murder, drug use, teen packs-- you name it, it has been on Lifetime: television for women.

That's fine if you don't personally agree with prostitution or "extras" or whatever the character does. But it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it shouldn't be on TV. There is a remote for a reason.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

Why are all the men hiring the prostitutes hot? In reality wouldn't it be old dudes, harry dudes, creepy guys and video game dorks (not that I know but I'd imagine) ?

Dream Boy

Dream Boy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I liked it too. JLH is always appealing and I especially liked Riley's relationship with the other spa girls as well as her mom. I'm in.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

Nope, the clients for JLH being hot while the people for the regular massages being "unsexy" makes no sense. The "unsexy" clients would find it much harder to get someone like JLH to sleep with them and would be more likely to jump at the chance. They are totally doing it to make Riley's job less skeevy. If she was having sex with guys she thought were gross on top of doing it for money, it would be seen as a double turn off. Much like the fact that prostitutes of t.v. and movies often look clean attractive despite reality often being much different.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Ratings are in for last night premiere

The Client List averaged 2.8 million viewers and a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating.

Edited by Samantha84, Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:33 PM.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

This series is an abomination (fluffy, funny or not) and it disgusts me that Lifetime which caters to 'real women' have sunk to such depths by glossing over prostitution as a means to 'get by'. The fact that she's selling her body for money under the guise of a massage parlor rather than trolling the street corners doesn't doesn't negate the fact that she's committing a criminal act to support her kids and that if that place ever got raided her kids would be yanked out and placed into foster care.

I expected much more from Lifetime than this stupid sleaze. So much for 'empowering' women. JLH and her horse face, overly made up eyes and bad false eyelashes which she seems to sleep in just dumbed this station down big time

Considering that I never thought that Lifetime was ever empowering towards women, I figured that it was only a matter of time (though I'm surprised that it took this long) before they went there with this miniseries-turned-show.

jbd1263

jbd1263

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

This series is just another typical Lifetime presentation. Like the movies Lifetime produces, all (movies and series) seem to have marginal dialogue shot on a one day shooting schedule. One take and it in the can. I do not see how this show will grab many viewers. I think the audience will be limited to the diehard Lifetime fans that already watch the sappy programing they offer.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

I was a bit a confused as to why her husband's brother was still hanging around after he took off. Specifically, when he was mowing her lawn when no one else was around and when he walked inside her room to apologize to her. Who let him in the house? Does he have a key? I like him and think he's good guy and all. Just thought it was weird how he can waltz in and out of her house and hang around like that when his brother is no longer there.

annlaw78

annlaw78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I was a bit a confused as to why her husband's brother was still hanging around after he took off. Specifically, when he was mowing her lawn when no one else was around and when he walked inside her room to apologize to her. Who let him in the house? Does he have a key? I like him and think he's good guy and all. Just thought it was weird how he can waltz in and out of her house and hang around like that when his brother is no longer there.

I didn't think it was super-weird -- his brother did a terrible thing, and he's trying to pick up some slack. He's probably had a key to their house for years, and has had "dropping in privileges," so unless Riley specifically took his key away or had a conversation, I didn't think it was that odd. I mean, they're family, you know.

What is odd, is that a person could "commute" from Beaumont to Sugar Land. Did I get that right, that Riley lives in Beaumont?

Also odd, as others have pointed out, is why all Riley's "special" clients are hot. I guessing they're trying to glamorize/lighten up the pretty bleak and crappy position she's in.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

This series is an abomination (fluffy, funny or not) and it disgusts me that Lifetime which caters to 'real women' have sunk to such depths by glossing over prostitution as a means to 'get by'.

I don't neccessarily agree with your objection overall, but "Dance Moms" was the first time (I haven't watched this channel in years) that I realized how awful this channel is. When I look at the group that owns this channel, I'm not surprised by their programming.

They seem to drop the ball on what they could be as a channel. If you're going to do a reality show, let it be real and show moms in a good light. If you're going to do this show, at least make the dialogue and plots good. Is that too much to ask?

MsChipper

MsChipper

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

Is anyone else amazed at how her kids have to share a room even though her house is so freakin' huge?

SeriouslyBored

SeriouslyBored

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:21 AM

Watched. Not my cup of tea. If anything it's just plain silly. Love Loretta Devine, and her character, but that's about all I like about the show.

I do have a nagging question. How does word of mouth work for this show? It's not like people can go around to friends saying "you have to watch this new show on Lifetime. It's about a mother that gives hand jobs..."

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

I do have a nagging question. How does word of mouth work for this show? It's not like people can go around to friends saying "you have to watch this new show on Lifetime. It's about a mother that gives hand jobs..."

I have seen commercials for this show playing during the half time preshow at two movies I saw at the theater. That is the only reason I know of this show.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

I'm a little disappointed this doesn't have funny subhead like:

The Client List: Sarah Reeves Has Matters Well In Hand
The Client List: Doin' That Crazy Hand Jive

Yes, I'm 14.

This series is an abomination (fluffy, funny or not) and it disgusts me that Lifetime which caters to 'real women' have sunk to such depths by glossing over prostitution as a means to 'get by'.

I have to wonder how much Lifetime programming you've seen. This is fictional. Dance Moms is real! And now has two shows!

Edited by KalEl, Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:02 AM.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

What is odd, is that a person could "commute" from Beaumont to Sugar Land. Did I get that right, that Riley lives in Beaumont?

Yes, she lives in Beaumont. And no, it isn't "odd"; it's downright bullshit. There was a throwaway line, I think when her former co-worker was telling her about the place, that stated that Sugar Land was only about an hour away. At best, Sugar Land is 1.5-2 hours commute from Beaumont and that includes when the traffic is "with" you which only occurs about 3AM. I'm born and raised in Houston, live about 15 minutes away from Sugar Land and had a relative who worked for Imperial Sugar all his life and lived directly across from the plant; I was just down there Saturday afternoon. In the establishing shots, there is a ~6-7 story brick building in the upper left hand corner; that is the old Imperial Sugar plant. It has been vacant for several years since the company was bought; they are soon going to convert it into lofts. What they showed was actually backwards. In the first shot, as she was supposed to be coming to SL for her interview/work, they have her driving west to east which would actually be leaving Sl and heading back toward Beaumont; in the 2nd shot where she was supposed to be going home, she was shown to be driving east to west which would have her driving away from form Sugar Land and Beaumont.

I don't know why they set her home as Beaumont unless the Beaumont Convention & Visitors' Bureau made a sizable contribution for placement. It would have made much more sense for her to live in Katy, Sealy, maybe south toward Wharton, El Campo or Victoria, even north like Spring, The Woodlands or Conroe. What really strained credulity then was the wife following her all the way home to Beaumont. Complete bullshit.

Bullshit logistics like this caused me to stop watching Chase last season; I would have consulted for a couple hndred bucks to get this stuff right. IMO, it does have Cybill Shepard and Loretta Devine in its favor-no fan of JLH here, but the basic premise is insulting and overdone. Common sense says I should just cut my losses now instead of giving it a reprieve to see if it catches lighting and gains some sea legs-ain't gonna happen.

As for the BIL walking in, don't y'all know we down here in Texas are friendly, neighborly types that don't need to lock our doors. Folk just walk in and leave you a ie that they just baked for ya or leave some meat from the latest hunting trip. Since we all have guns (even when we go jogging like our governor), we ain't afraid of no criminals coming in; we've long since had the "castle doctrine", long before this Florida "Stand your ground" Johnny-come-lately legislation.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Perhaps because to many including this non-Texan Beaumont sounds familiar. Sugar Land just sounds like something good but not good for you and without the other meaning it could have been any suburb a drive away from the homestead.

annlaw78

annlaw78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Perhaps because to many including this non-Texan Beaumont sounds familiar. Sugar Land just sounds like something good but not good for you and without the other meaning it could have been any suburb a drive away from the homestead.

Yeah, I'd imagine the thought process was: "Beaumont is French for 'pretty mountain,' and hey, look, Texas has a place called Sugar Land in it, hahahaha, GET IT???!!!!" The only reason a person would drive over two hours each way to work in a massage parlor would be if she KNOWS that it's a front for something more lucrative.

Edited by annlaw78, Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:00 PM.

eatingchicken

eatingchicken

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Is anyone else amazed at how her kids have to share a room even though her house is so freakin' huge?

That's the first thing I thought. Similar to why didn't she downsize the car.

However with the clients being male models, this show basically runs on the suspension of disbelief. I didn't go into the show expecting Secret Diary of a Call Girl but still...

The brother-in-law love interest thing kinda icks me. Don't go do the nasty if your family has already been there.

Normally I give a new show three episodes before I tune out permanently. This one only has until episode two to win me over.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Knowledge is power, a phrase uttered incessantly by one of my school teachers, and now, quite poignantly, by the fictional madam of a happy endings shop.

I need more one-liners. There were a few good ones, but I want more.

Quite obvious that was a dream at the end, but lol @ the last line. Ouch. Next week looks campy good.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I saw the second episode. Kyle being an addict was a twist but why would he disappear, not call, or anything? If my husband disappeared without a trace I'd be a lot angrier. Just what was she suppose to tell the children? I cannot believe (well I can people do it every day) that a "nice guy" could be so inconsiderate.

Shallow note- I love Jennifer's hair in this series. It suits her.

Edited because typing on an iPhone leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by scarlett45, Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:59 AM.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I tried to watch this show. 30 minutes in and couldn't go any longer.

kjett

kjett

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I loved the movie and so I am very happy that they have made a series out of this!

GrapeEarth

GrapeEarth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:14 AM

So I am confused, is she giving her clients the "full service" or not? At times it seems she is and then at others it seems she's just dressing in slutty clothes and rubbing them down. There were a few times with "The Camel" that it appeared she was just giving him a massage, ie the super special lotion she was excited to show him. Who would care about lotion if you were getting the works done?

LaJefaza

LaJefaza

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

So I am confused, is she giving her clients the "full service" or not? At times it seems she is and then at others it seems she's just dressing in slutty clothes and rubbing them down.

I'm wondering this as well, GrapeEarth. The impression I get is that she is just, uh...handy. I just figured if she were giving the full works they would have shown us a little more. Not the entire act, of course, but the lead up...a kiss, the unhooking of her bra, something like that. This IS Lifetime, after all. I also figured they would have addressed the emotional toll it would have taken on her to sleep with someone other than her husband for the first time. I know in the movie she was giving full service for sure, but as we've seen, a lot has been altered. I'm confused about it for sure.

The chemistry she had with 'the camel' certainly did make it seem as if she was going all the way with him.