5-4: "Mystery Date" 2012.04.08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

636 replies to this topic

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

I don't quite know how to phrase this without sounding offensive but... do many people have dreams of murdering people? Is that common theme in dreams and I am just blessedly ignorant. I gotta say after that, I'd be losing the contents of my stomach if that happened to me.

Thoughts?

I'm happy BTW in reading no more into it than what MW said but I wonder if it's also supposed to reveal something about Don Draper's character -- like what he's capable of if pushed. I remember how scary he looked when Pete first tried to blackmail him and he said "if this information is powerful enough to get a person to do what you want, what else might they do?" or something along those lines.

I think Don has murderous instincts, or at least the old Don did. He's been tamed over the years, but I have no doubt that if the unthinkable were to happen -- he cheated on Megan, after making a conscious, mature vow to be faithful -- he could and would dispose of the evidence. (Although not under their bed!) Yes, way back when Adam made contact with him in the first season, and he went into his desk to take something out, many of us speculated that he was reaching for a gun, and might have killed Adam. I'm a bit sorry that we take his present smooth demeanor for granted; I'd like to see the hints of danger again.

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Just to further clarify, what revolted me was not her making what she deemed a necessary choice. What revolted me was that she did this without so much as a moment's pause, a moment's pang of conscience, a moment's introspection that the lifelong lie she was prepared to perpetrate on her husband was wrong. At least from all evidence presented to us in this episode.

When was the last time that Joan shared her innermost thoughts with anyone? She & her Mom have a somewhat combative relationship; it appears that her Mom will continue to help her, but their relationship hasn't been all that heavy on "sharing." Joan doesn't seem to have any close female friends. She was mostly on the defensive with Greg because his fragile ego was so easy to bruise. Roger? Forget it.

In fact, the show has been pretty reticent about that whole "innermost thought" thing. After leaving Betty, Don kept a journal for a while. There have been dreams & drunken confessions--rare & easily misunderstood. Should we assume that none of the characters have any thoughts but the ones they've expressed in speech? Or maybe it's just the females who are blank inside....

Indeed--there will be more episodes. Greg might be back in Vietnam by the one we see tonight. We won't know how things work out between them for some time. We saw no evidence that he gave a fuck about the kid--but it would be unfair for him to pay child support. Which might happen--after the divorce....

gilgi

gilgi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Just a thought--is it possible that Kevin really is Greg's and Joan lied (or just wasn't sure) when she told Roger it was his to get his reaction?

I don't remember the exact timeline, but she said something about how she was really late--too late for it to be Greg's, but then clearly close enough for Greg to think it was his. We are talking about a matter of a few weeks difference at most, and in my memory it was pretty vague about exactly how far along she was. So...I wonder if maybe she was actually testing Roger (possibly subconsciously) by telling him the baby was his. Or maybe it was wishful thinking?

I am sure that this doesn't work for some reason that all of you will now tell me.

brooklynbull

brooklynbull

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Please keep it about the episode in here. If that conversation has played out, I can go ahead and close this thread. It's been a lot of debating who is and who is not a rapist for the past couple pages which is not about THIS episode.

When in doubt about whether to post it, ask yourself if the subject of your post is something directly from the episode. If it isn't, you should probably find a better place to post.

Read the rules. If you are still unsure, ask me in the Mod thread.

THANKS!
As a relative newcomer to the forums (but not to MM), it's good to see us encouraged to stay on topic.
Joan, for many reasons, appears to be a giant screen for our projections. Violence against women (physical, emotional, and social) is a major theme of MM - but looking at it squarely is difficult. Lapsing into 'what if's' about little baby Kevin seems more in keeping with traditional daytime soaps than what MM has given us.

As for Joan - her demeanor/affect, her monumental physicality, and most of all Hendricks' skill in portraying her
are fascinating for me. Whether I 'like' her is incidental. For someone who remember some American men's obsession with lost souls like Jayne Mansfield - brilliant.

GoodApprentice

GoodApprentice

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

The show needs to do something about Sally's vocal fry. It was pretty bad in this episode and it constantly destroys my suspension of disbelief.

Edited by GoodApprentice, Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:43 AM.

TC3200

TC3200

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Btw, I keep wondering if Greg ever noticed or was told about the theft of Joan's wedding rings, or the mugging. I would think a husband would have flipped out over a mugging and the loss of the rings, and/or become very involved in replacement of those rings. And he'd have wanted to hear every little detail and explanation for just how and where that event took place. If he was a control freak as well, he'd have gotten copies of all police reports and insurance company records. And that would have been somehow tossed in Joan's face in that breakup scene.

Oh, well. It's just another little thing that bothers me about how the show is changing its style.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Btw, I keep wondering if Greg ever noticed or was told about the theft of Joan's wedding rings, or the mugging. I would think a husband would have flipped out over a mugging and the loss of the rings, and/or become very involved in replacement of those rings. And he'd have wanted to hear every little detail and explanation for just how and where that event took place. If he was a control freak as well, he'd have gotten copies of all police reports and insurance company records. And that would have been somehow tossed in Joan's face in that breakup scene.

Oh, well. It's just another little thing that bothers me about how the show is changing its style.

Under normal circumstances, yes, but I guess if he's in a war zone on the other side of the globe it might make less of an impact on him.