5-4: "Mystery Date" 2012.04.08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

636 replies to this topic

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Don runs into someone from his past. Joan makes a decision, and Roger gives Peggy extra work.

I hope it wasn't meant to be some sort of surprise that the Don stuff was all a dream, because yeah, I've watched television before.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:35 AM.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

Woot Peggy! I LOVE that she blackmailed Roger. That scene was worth the episode alone.

Other 1/2 half bits:
- Love Megan nailing Don on his womanizing
- Hee, Ginsberg is a walking landmine.
- Roger Roger Roger. WTFO? You told Ginsberg nothing? Forced to bribe Peggy to cover your but? And the only idea is one you stole from Pete? And PETE IS SO YOUR BOSS. He set up a meeting w/ Mohawk for Monday. That really happened? Why are you not talking to them? Stop sleeping in your office for pity's sake.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

That was... one hell of an alarming dream Don had about, er, choking and killing the woman who came on to him. It's pleasant that he wants to stay faithful to his wife, but hopefully, his violent impulses are going to be tamped down soon!

Also, loved Peggy during this episode! It's always enjoyable to see her pull one over and getting to see her demand that Roger give her all the money he had on him for an ad campaign she pulls right out of her ass is perfect.

Though that makes me wonder... between bribing his secretary, bribing Harry to give up his office, and bribing Peggy now, it seems as though Roger's shooting money out like a broken fire-hose at work. And given how Jane's probably not a frugal life, how much money could he have at this point?

Edited by Mariagonerlj, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:54 PM.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

I want to be Peggy when I grow up.

NoVaResident

NoVaResident

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Holy f**k! Did what just happened really happen?

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Fuck shows that do dream sequences!

SueBee_77

SueBee_77

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Wow! Okay, I feel some sympathy for Henry now. His mother is almost a caricature... I kept picturing the nun from "The Blues Brothers" or the like. Sick.

Yay, Joan!!

WhatTheTGirl

WhatTheTGirl

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Joan for the win. Now if this show were *really* going to do the late 1960s, they'd have Joanie try and navigate the impossibilities of the New York welfare state.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Speaking of which... I loved how they concluded (finally!) Joan's marriage to Dr. Rapist-- and in a way that's both a lot more realistic and a lot more poignantly than him simply dying in battle. Even though Greg's not as loathsome as he once was, he still clearly puts himself and his desire to be a "man" over Joan's happiness-- and the happiness of their (er, so he thinks) son as well. So having her finally get rid of him because he won't come back home was a bitterly realistic ending to them. Good for her for making that decision and saying good-bye to that childish jherk at last.

Though now I worry about her... now that she's a single mother, is Roger going to come catting around again? Given how pathetic he's been so far even this early in the season, I don't want to even think about how he's going to try to get her to come back to him!

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Weird dark episode tonight, to put it mildly. And strong.

I remember being terrified as a kid by the story of those murders, as were many other kids, I'm sure. Pauline doesn't exactly make Betty look like a good mother, but even so...shudder. Kind of a sick tie in with the title and board game. I remember that damn commercial.

Greg is still a tool and maybe doomed. Did not expect Joan's actions.

The old Don Draper returns? Only when sick ? Only in his dreams?

Best part of the show: Peggy besting Roger and taking Dawn home with her.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Wow, I never thought that Joan would leave Greg. It was a long time coming! She even brought up the rape. That last scene with her and Greg made watching the show worthwhile for me tonight.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

YAY single Joan!

Don you are getting creepy.

Mama Francis is a little early for Valley of the Dolls....

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Yikes, more crap. Is he saving the good stuff for mid-season?

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Wait, wait, wait.....Sally took Secanol? Sheesh, what a fucked up Mother in Law.

Goddamn, that scared the hell out of me that Don really murdered that woman.

NoVaResident

NoVaResident

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Yes, that is what always drove me nuts about the Sopranos.

So the "good" Doctor is off to Vietnam in 1966. Things get really ugly there this year and next year. Who wants to bet he comes home feet-first?

pigeoninthepark

pigeoninthepark

Channel Surfer

Peace the hell out Dr. Rapist. Don't the let the door hit you on your way out.

That scene near the end of Sally sleeping under the couch (mimicking Don's woman under the bed) was disturbing to say the least. Also interesting tie-in with the Richard Speck/Chicago nurse massacre case. He was a crazy dude with some serious mommy issues (as speculated by Henry's mother). Please don't grow up to be a serial killer Sally.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

THIS is the Mad Men I was waiting for. Gothic, fevered, a little current events to anchor the place and time, and a drugged 12 year old girl sleeping underneath a maniac with a knife. Classic!

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Is Sally going to pull a Judy Garland? Easy with the Seconal there, Grandma.

Pepper Jam

Pepper Jam

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I can't say enough how much I loved Peggy in this episode.

I thought Megan looked so pretty when she was bringing in Don's breakfast. Nice to see that Don really wants to get over his cheating ways but I doubt he'll be successful.

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

This episode could have been called "Females in Fear." It seemed like the theme this episode was violence against women and women being frightened. I gasped and cried out loud when Don had his fever dream of killing the persistent floozy and said out loud "is this a dream?" It wasn't lost on me that having strangled her like Speck did with his victims, he stuffed her under the bed in a manner similar to that in which Speck's one victim managed to escape; and then of couse the next scene showed Sally hidden under a piece of furniture in exactly the same way.

A second viewing turned up even more examples of men and situations that can go either way (other than the mystery date, the sleeping father, the ex-hookup [Don] and the murderer.)
Even in the elevator Don says to Megan "stand over there if you think you'll be safer." And Stan putting the pantyhose over his face in this season's best attacker fashion right before showing such avid interest in the murder scene pics, ick.

He Hit Me And It Felt Like a Kiss over the credits was just perfect.

There were a lot of frightened women in this episode, and a lot of sleeping or disturbed nights: Dawn sleeping at the office because she was afraid to go home on the subway; Sally unable to sleep because she read about the murdered nurses; Pauline staying up with her sharp "burgular alarm" and getting a fright whennSally crept up one her; Peggy hearing noises in the darkened office and getting freaked. Cinderella was scared by her -heh- mystery "date"/pursuer while Sleeping Beauty is rejected as ad material. And batty Grandma's rumination on discipline showed that she must have been in constant fear of her father even when he was apparently asleep. Oh, yeah, and satisfyingly, Joan finally called Dr. Rapist on "you know what I'm talking about," but even then it ended with her lying on the bed but being unable to sleep, despite saying earlier "I barely slept at all" (that night.)

The women don't get to sleep much, even in the dead of night, but the men do, even in the office (Don, Roger.)

Edited by Libby1975, Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:18 AM.

Fonzie

Fonzie

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

HATE dream sequences, maybe b/c I thought it was real and felt duped.

Peggy shakes Roger down for $410 in 60s money? WTG, Girl!!

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Yeah, that struck me as a very clumsy move too. Then again, I haven't liked any of the Megan storyline, since she's no fun at all as a character (Zoobie Zoo aside, she never has any good lines or even basic charisma) and Don always acts like a bit of a weird pod person around her. And dream sequences... guh. I wish she and Don would just GTFO already and leave more room for Peggy shenanigans.

(Don can occasionally drop by for Creative Department plot-lines, but that's all!)

Plus, loved the Peggy and Dawn interactions in this episode! I loved how Peggy managed to show her soft, vulnerable side even after being such a bad-ass with Roger. I hope we get more of Dawn in the future-- I thought it was very poignant how she literally could not even get home after staying late!

Why would her brother tell her not to use the subway, btw?

IDrive65

IDrive65

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

What did Dawn write in the note? I didn't catch it all.

I was freaking out at the choke scene, and felt it couldn't be real. So in his hallucination, Don still cheats, and buries the evidence (badly).

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish, and I'm looking at you Captain Dr. Rapist. Just had to get that out. Will have more to say after my second viewing.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

I was saying out loud please let this be Don hallucinating from the fever. I think that was it more than a dream...but YMMV

Houston77055

Houston77055

Just Tuned In

For those of you unaware of U.S military protocol, junior military members do not salute senior officers indoors – except in very specific situations (one of which would not be casual encounters in public restaurants) At least I’ll give them credit for passing on the cliché that said officer must immediately yell at the junior person for some inane reason.

Kudos to the props team as the telephone in the bedroom scene was accurate for the year. Push-button phones were introduced in 1963, originally having only the 0-9 keys, while the access keys – the * and # - weren’t added until 1968 (link).

juliaz3

juliaz3

Couch Potato

Crickey! "Grandma" Pauline splitting her Seconal with Sally. What a creep that old bat is -- I almost expected her to pull off her wig and reveal to Sally that she's a man.

Go Joan! And thanks for telling that dickhead what we all think of him. I kinda wanted her to toss in a "and Kevin's not your son so you've no need to contact us again" but it was pretty much perfect as it stood.

rosjaq

rosjaq

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Henry's mother certainly won't win any Mother of the Year awards what with the pill dispensing and all, but she was gold in the lunch scene with the kids. For as much as Betty tries to be a stern parent, she's really not been able to teach Sally how to behave around people that she should be showing respect to. Love that she wouldn't let Sally leave until she ate the sandwich she herself had requested.

Loved Peggy & Joan this episode as much as I hated the Don dream sequence.

TheRealJanBrady

TheRealJanBrady

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Peggy shakes Roger down for $410 in 60s money? WTG, Girl!!

And then she worries for a second that Dawn might steal it from her purse. As much as I hated Peggy in that moment I know she hated herself for it, and that it was a realistic moment. Good for this show for getting the nuances right. Cultural prejudices die hard. Good for her for taking Dawn home, though.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

um, that was about the creepiest episode ever (except for maybe the one where the little boy watched Sally go to the bathroom and she gave him a lock of her hair)