2-2: "The Night Lands" 2012.04.08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

362 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Already on HBO Go, I hear. I don't care until it's on television!

TVGuide sez:

On a mission for Robb Stark, Theon returns home for the first time in nine years, but time has not dulled his father's bitterness at losing his only surviving son to Winterfell. Meanwhile, Tyrion makes his presence felt as the Hand of the King, though not necessarily to the satisfaction of others in the royal court; Gendry is shocked by Arya's revelation on the road north; and Davos seeks naval power from an old acquaintance, the pirate Salladhor Saan.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

So who's got the bigger stick up his ass: Stannis or Balon Greyjoy?

Edited by AimingforYoko, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:01 PM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Balon most certainly.

Edited by scarlett45, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

Tiznowbaby

Tiznowbaby

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Crap, is this going to be a dingos ate my baby kind of thing? That was creepy.

Poor Theon Greyjoy. You're really gross, but your dad....wow.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

As much as it's an established character trait of Tyrion's that he can't keep his mouth shut, I was cringing in that scene with Cersei when she was clearly agitated and he was mocking her. Her throwing in his face the fact that their mother died giving birth to him as retaliation was brutal. The acting in that scene was really good, especially the way PD showed that Tyrion was trying to absorb the blow once she mentioned it without losing his composure. Gah, I love the fucked-up Lannister family dynamics. (And isn't that how nasty family fights go? You're arguing with a sibling or parent, and they bring up something you did when you were a baby as supporting evidence of whatever point they're trying to make about your supposed shortcomings.)

Jaqen's actor was incredibly impressive in his short scene. You got the sense that Jaqen was impressed with the spirit shown by "Arry," but there was something cold and predatory about him at the same time, like you can totally believe that there is a very good reason he's locked up with the other two. Awesome, awesome stuff.

Liam Cunningham is a flawless Davos, and I loved the Davos/Salladhor scene. "A man chops off your fingers, and you fall in love with him!" Hee hee. (Also, yay for a POC being cast in the Salladhor role! More of that, please.)

Gendry seems more good-humoured than he is in the books. I approve.

Sam's "I can't steal her! She's a person, not a goat!" was A+++. (Also, shut up, Jon.) Flawless line reading by Sam's actor.

Edited by Blue32, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:15 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Gendry seems more good-humoured than he is in the books. I approve.

He has the right vibe of Prince Charming in disguise that complements Arya's not-so-damsel in disguise one. I like their dynamic so far.

*ETA:

Sam's "I can't steal her! She's a person, not a goat!" was A+++. (Also, shut up, Jon.) Flawless line reading by Sam's actor.

I think he has the right knight in shining armour vibe for a Night's Watch man too!

Edited by agora, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:13 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Crap, is this going to be a dingos ate my baby kind of thing? That was creepy.

White Walkers, Dingos; Potato, potahto. I don't think they eat them, though.

Her throwing the fact that their mother died giving birth to him in his face as retaliation was brutal. The acting in that scene was really good, especially the way PD showed that Tyrion was trying to absorb the blow once she mentioned it without losing his composure. Gah, I love the fucked-up Lannister family dynamics.

The thing about family, they know all your soft spots.

Khellus

Khellus

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

As much as it's an established character trait of Tyrion's that he can't keep his mouth shut, I was cringing in that scene with Cersei when she was clearly agitated and he was mocking her. Her throwing the fact that their mother died giving birth to him in his face as retaliation was brutal. The acting in that scene was really good, especially the way PD showed that Tyrion was trying to absorb the blow once she mentioned it without losing his composure. Gah, I love the fucked-up Lannister family dynamics.

I liked it actually. I liked the way Tyrion's mouth was twitching trying to hold back the joke.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

The show's continued soft-pedaling of Cersei is really starting to bug me. They couldn't even have her order the murders herself.

I liked Tyrion's dismissal of Slynt, though I have to say that that actor is one of the few casting choices this show has made that I don't especially agree with. He's not actively bad or anything, but he's rather bland; he doesn't have quite a scummy enough look.

We're now officially at the point where the cast/story is so huge that good numbers of characters will have to be left out of any given episode.

TrininisaScorp

TrininisaScorp

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Well, Balon is just a special ray of sunshine, isn't he? Ick. Explains Theon a bit.

That "you're funny" convo between Cercei and Tyrion had me holding my breathe. So intense. At least we know for sure it was Joffery giving the order for killing Robert's children. Makes sense now, as it is such a brutal, somewhat short-sighted way to handle the situation. "Rallying cry", indeed.

I'm loving the relationship between Gendry and Arya. Maise's face when he said "Lord Stark" as just heartbreaking. I did LOVE Gendry's "yes, my lady" with the glint in his eye. Hee.

Khormozian

Khormozian

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Pyke was exactly as I imagined it. Arya/Gendry perfect, as was Balon. I was happy at the increased role of Bronn and worried for a moment that Littlefinger was going to appear sympathetic but they put that to rest in a hurry.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

So Theon was feeling his sister up? Gross indeed.

I want Tyrion to be King. He seems to be the most deserving. So Joffrey gave the order to kill the bastards? I didn't think he was smart enough to be that strategic.

Poor Jon. I hope Ghost is close enough to save him. At least that dude wasn't killing his sons outright. I wonder who he was giving them to, though.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

He has the right vibe of Prince Charming in disguise that complements Arya's not-so-damsel in disguise one. I like their dynamic so far.

I agree agora. They have a good chemistry together. I'm eager to see their adventures on The King's Road.

I can't stand Balon Greyjoy. He acts as if Theon went willingly to the Starks just because they had a nicer house. Wtf. Theon was the Stark's hostage due to BALON'S failed rebellion. Perhaps if he'd been a better military leader(or didn't start rebellions he had no hope of winning) his sons would still be alive. Ass. No that this changes my feelings towards Theon, I still don't trust him.

Yes Yara isn't beautiful, but she is SEXY, she has presence.

Great acting between Littlefinger and Ros.

Eta- I love Sam. Always have. He's so sweet!

Edited by scarlett45, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:20 PM.

rebelqueen

rebelqueen

Couch Potato

• Interests:Once and FutureTV loveaffairs:Gilmore, Buffy, Firefly, NCIS, ER, WOT,Bones,Alias,Chuck,Life, Eleventh Hour(Rufus Sewell=pretty) Miami Medical(JN=pretty) Ringer, Once Upon a Time, Dollhouse, Good Wife and of course Battlestar Galactica(save for the last 30 minutes of the ending).

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

oh Jon Snow, I love you! Of course, I wish you'd gone Save Gilly right away, but, I'm willing to cut you some slack, since you did follow Craester. The Theon/ Greyjoy scenes were as creepy as I was thinking it would be. I missed seeing Robb.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Line of the episode goes to Tyrion in regards Cersei's comment about responsibility falling on her "so has Jaime, repeatedly according to Stannis Baratheon", that got more than a chuckle from me. Cersei's comment about their mother was harsh indeed.

So Joffrey was the one who ordered the bastards murdered, I wonder if he believes the story about the twincest.

Nice to see the grown up Ghost, pity he couldn't have been there when the old dude knocked out Jon.

Danaerys's situation seems very dire indeed, I felt bad for poor Rakharo, those dragons need to grown and fast otherwise her band will get picked off one by one.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Sam's "I can't steal her! She's a person, not a goat!" was A+++.

My favorite quotes were:
Gendry: "You shouldn't insult people bigger than you."
Arya: "Then I wouldn't get to insult anyone."

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

As soon as Theon started fiddling with the girl on the horse, I thought she was going to turn out to be his sister. George Martin sure likes his inappropriate family relationships.

I enjoyed the episode, but I didn't think there was much to it, too much to be explained or revealed later.

AthenaLeStrange

AthenaLeStrange

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I love that Tyrion seems to be cleaning house! Getting rid of the captain that killed the infants was inspired! Then promoting Bronn was epic! Tyrion can trust him, sorta. I say sorta because of the gold involved. But still he's the only one in the viper's nest of King's Landing, that Tyrion can trust.

Cersei is quickly losing control of the monster she created in Joffrey. I cannot wait until she gets her debt paid. Someone needs to answer for the death of Ned! Because of her inability to control her incestuous urges towards Jaime, the country is at war. Nice going!

I love the pairing of Arya and Gendry. They have great chemistry. For lack of Robb and Jon, I think Arya's found a brother. Now if only while on the King's Road Arya could find Nymeria!

I love Sam. Pointing out that Gilly is a person and not something able to be stolen was priceless. It shows that he's one of the precious few in this world with actual morals. Which means that he's probably going to be beheaded like the great Ned.

WatchrTina

WatchrTina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

When I read "Lord of the Rings" I hated the parts that focused on Gollum but he was one of the most compelling characters in the movie. I was hoping that Game of Thrones would do the same thing for Theon. I didn't enjoy the parts of the 2nd novel that focused on him but I was hoping the TV show would be different. So far, not so good. I still find myself counting the moments until we're done with him. And his sister was a big disappointment. My mental picture of her was much more impressive than the actress they cast. In fact, the whole Grayjoy family is just kind of "meh."

So am I the only one who said "ouch" when the red priestess got flung on her back on top of the bas relief map table? The mountains alone would hurt but it looked like she's going to have the imprint of toy solders gouged into her butt cheeks as well.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Looks like we're two for two for incest this season. Feeling up your sister on your homecoming? Way to make an impression, hah.

Asha and Gendry were adorable.

I'm glad that Jon isn't quite as stupidly honorable as Ned was. Sure, he still feels he needs to do good, but he at least he's a lot more subtle about it.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

When I read "Lord of the Rings" I hated the parts that focused on Gollum but he was one of the most compelling characters in the movie. I was hoping that Game of Thrones would do the same thing for Theon. I didn't enjoy the parts of the 2nd novel that focused on him but I was hoping the TV show would be different. So far, not so good. I still find myself counting the moments until we're done with him. And his sister was a big disappointment. My mental picture of her was much more impressive than the actress they cast. In fact, the whole Grayjoy family is just kind of "meh."

So am I the only one who said "ouch" when the red priestess got flung on her back on top of the bas relief map table? The mountains alone would hurt but it looked like she's going to have the imprint of toy solders gouged into her butt cheeks as well.

Ha!! I thought the same thing about the Stannis/Melisandre sex scene! The actor playing Stannis isn't impressing me too much, I expected Stannis to be more COMMANDING. Loving Davos though.

I don't hate Jon for his reaction to Sam and Gilly. He just got reemed out by Mormont for not following him. Mormont has made it clear by word and deed that they are NOT to get involved with Craster and his craziness. Of course Sam being Sam wants to help her but I understand Jon being conflicted on what to do. It's a good exploration of military ethics, when is following your commander the appropriate choice, when is following your personal convenience the appropriate choice?

Edited by scarlett45, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:35 PM.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Yes Yara isn't beautiful, but she is SEXY, she has presence.

I'm afraid that I disagree, the actress is too plain, and she just looked dirty rather than sexy IMO, but who knows she might grow on me--I had just pictured her as being more luscious than that.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

As someone who thinks that the premiere is the worst episode in the entire series, I found the second episode a VAST improvement. It was near perfect actually. Not a single false note of any significance. The episode featured the confident, deliberate storytelling that was the hallmark of early episodes of S1. The key here was the structure and the pacing. Unlike the premiere, it felt like an episode, not just a jumble of scenes.

Some attention-challenged viewers will predictably complain that "nothing happened." In some ways they may be right. It was all conversation: good, engrossing conversation that builds the characters and sets up the pieces on the board. For my part, I loved loved loved it, including the various departures from the books. Even Ros was tolerable. This was the feeling I was hoping the premiere would leave me with. Game of Thrones is back.

Edited by Haldebrandt, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:34 PM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Ha!! I thought the same thing about the Stannis/Melisandre sex scene! The actor playing Stannis isn't impressing me too much, I expected Stannis to be more COMMANDING. Loving Davos though.

Isn't one of Stannis's defining characteristics that he has the charisma of a tree frog? To contrast Renly, who has precisely zero combat or leadership experience but whom the people like much more.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Arya and Gendry (and Hot Pie!) are some of my favorites in the book. I love their exchanges. I was glad to see them on screen together! (Part of me wishes the show could be just Jon & Sam or Tyrion & Bronn--the friendly characters--having fun. But that would be a really different show.)

I wonder if Ned and Robert were as funny growing up as these two are.

tze

tze

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

When Ghost is menacing Gilly, you can see two Watchmen in the background who look around when Gilly screams . . . and when they see Ghost, they just turn back around and go back to what they were doing. I love that. I love that Jon's freaky-ass pet direwolf is just wandering around the place and nobody thinks that's at all odd. And I love how Sam, the avowed coward, is the guy shooing away a direwolf the same way ordinary people shoo away a dog that's begging for table scraps.

Jon's final scene was totally a dream.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I don't hate Jon for his reaction to Sam and Gilly. He just got reemed out by Mormont for not following him. Mormont has made it clear by word and deed that they are NOT to get involved with Craster and his craziness. Of course Sam being Sam wants to help her but I understand Jon being conflicted on what to do. It's a good exploration of military ethics, when is following your commander the appropriate choice, when is following your personal convenience the appropriate choice?

Jon is correct, anyway. They can't take her with them on their mission.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

I'm afraid that I disagree, the actress is too plain, and she just looked dirty rather than sexy IMO, but who knows she might grow on me--I had just pictured her as being more luscious than that.

I never pictured her as luscious actually. Interesting interpetation. The actress brings the type of ATTITUDE one would expected from a woman that could lead the men of the iron islands and command Balon Greyjoy's respect. The women of the Iron Islands would need to be hard to be taken seriously. Maybe the dirtiness will disappear. I looked as if she had been out working etc when she ran into Theon. Only time can tell!

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Frankly, I think Yara's grunginess worked since she has practically become like a son to Balon. A pretty princess cannot command men effectively in this world.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I wonder if Ned and Robert were as funny growing up as these two are.

Heh, the Stark/Baratheon BFF bond transcends generations, apparently. (Although I guess from the pilot scene where the mama direwolf and the stag killed each other and what ultimately came of Ned and Robert's friendship, it might be questionable how beneficial that BFF bond is.)

On Stannis...he was downright chipper in that scene with Davos when they were talking about Salladhor and looked like he was thisclose to cracking a smile. Stannis, chipper? Stannis, smiling? What madness is this?

The actor who played Davos' son, Matthos, had a lovely voice. Irish-accented, maybe? I love how he kind of shied away when Salladhor said he hadn't tried to fuck Matthos. Hee hee.

I'm kind of bitter that Ros, a non-book character, has had more screentime in the two episodes than Sansa or Catelyn. Seriously, writers?

Edited by Blue32, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:47 PM.