20-07: "I Didn't Make Her Cry (Kilimanjaro, Tanzania)" 2012.04.08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

192 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

From Comcast:

The race continues in Tanzania, where teams train alongside Masai warriors.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Isn't it "the jig is up" not "the gig is up"?

Loved seeing Tanzania and great seeing the Teacher/Agents stopping to enjoy the view. The first sight of these types of animals in the wild is unforgettable.

I really hate Dave ordering his wife around like she's his subordinant. And with Phil asking the 3 teams about the fighting... I thought Vanessa came off the worst with her reply. I did like Brenden telling Mark and Bopper to choose the jumping task because it was quick, but then I got worried about their fitness level. Luckily it turned out ok.

And as soon as they showed the task of building their home for the night, I knew it was either a "to be continued" or "non-elimination" leg.

Edited by torreador, Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:41 PM.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Yeah- definitely the jig is up...

I cannot stand Brendan and Rachel, but I would say they are preferable over Vanessa.

As soon as they started building tents I said "that's their pit stop for the night."
Listening to the kindergarten cops whine about how weak they are because they are just women was pissing me off- you'd think a law enforcement professional (both of whom look to be in good shape) would have had some physical training.

I was really amused by the argument from Season 1 starting again "How could I shove you when I was in front of you?"

I would definitely go for the jumping. You can with stand anything for a minute... Did they know it was only 1 minute?

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Yes, it is JIG, not GIG, as in UP.

I could have done without the ridiculous reality TV junior high dramatics at the airport, for sure. Art and JJ minimizing that junk...yeah, right.

Stunning Tanzania and the tasks compensated, though. It seems like KF was working its magic with just about everyone during the tent set ups. Rachel and Dave sniping at each other then becoming all lovey dovey again at the finish...sigh.

Bopper's tattoo was...intriguing, I guess.

Still don't really like any of these teams, but Nary and Jamie are at least coming close. They rocked that throwing task. And I found it cool that they took time out to see the elephants. And they benefited from an NEL.

As for next week, HATE the U turns!

Edited by Charlie Baker, Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:51 PM.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Hmmm. Considering how awful Art and JJ and Vanessa are, that they're bothered by Brendon and Rachel doesn't mean much to me. If Mark and Bopper or Nary and Jamie had an intense dislike for Brendon and Rachel, I would probably heed those reactions more. But I find Vanessa, Art, and JJ to be just so unlikable, and as a result, I do root on Brendon and Rachel.

Oh, and JJ can sit his ass down with his comment about feeling like a woman because he had to set up the interior of the tent. Ass.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Isn't it "the jig is up" not "the gig is up"?

I guess if you're a musician... but yeah, I've always heard/said, "The jig is up."

Good grief, what a bunch of ridiculous. At least teams were taking time to admire the scenery.

Building tents at the end is generally a sign that you'll be safe for another night, at the very least.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Can't say I care one way or the other about the NEL saving Nary and Jamie, because they've been complete non-entities. I can't believe we're this far in to the race and I still have no sense of who the hell they are.

Rooting for Mark and Bopper by default because, though obnoxious, they seem nice and they're not involved in all the interpersonal bullshit. Everyone else can go home yesterday.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

It's a shame they have to waste airtime on stupid bickering matches in the airport when the scenery is as gorgeous as it was tonight. Stunning really. Even more disheartening as it was just a juvenile, high school drama-filled fight. And it wasn't even really bad either. Afterward I just said "that was the huge fight that they've been building up since the first episode?" Ugh

I thought Art and JJ trying to draw the true profession out of the girls was a bit more interesting though, and I don't get why the girls are so against revealing it. At this point I like Art and JJ as well as Mark and Bopper. I also get a kick out of Dave and Rachel's bickering. It's pretty amusing and loving bickering. Vanessa and Ralph were much more tolerable tonight, as I liked how he was being supportive of her, and just frustrated by the situation on the bikes, not at her. Still need B/R to GTFO my screen anytime now.

Not the least bit surprised by the NEL, once they were building tents as the pitstop, I figured it had to be NEL. And I wonder, do you think a RB was edited out due to time constraints since they had to waste 10 minutes on that stupid airport fight? Shame really.

Millis

Millis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Nary and Jamie really annoy me with the whole 'we're kindergarten teachers' thing. I honestly don't think anyone would give a crap that they're federal agents, and the longer they lie about it the more ridiculous it is.

OldHeaveHo

OldHeaveHo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Jumping up and down has got the be the stupidest detour option ever.

Art & JJ can get fucked. They have terrible attitudes and a massive superiority complex that irks me so much worse than Rachel's waterworks or Vanessa's cattiness. I hate them. If it came down to Art & JJ and Rachel & Brendon racing for the million, I would be rooting for Rachel & Brendon.

I'm really starting to like Nary & Jamie. Their sense of humour is really starting to pop out and I love, love, loved that they took the time to stop and admire the elephants for a few minutes before moving on.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Art and JJ can fuck right off. Not only are they pissy, arrogant drama queens, they're misogynists too. Hate them.

The only likable teams left are Mark and Bopper (my favorites) and Nary and Jamie.

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

This episode cemented my Mark and Bopper love even more. I got a great laugh over Bopper's "Free candy!" in the beginning of the episode.

The misogyny of Art/JJ (not sure who is which and don't even care) is just gross, as was the drama at the airport. Very over at least three of these teams and probably four.

Nary and Jamie aren't great racers, but they at least appreciate each other and enjoy the scenery.

Gorgeous landscape, I really enjoyed looking even on my crap TV.

twisted sister

twisted sister

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

I was hoping for a quadruple elimination here. Mark and Bopper and Nary and Jaimie annoy me the least but that all I can say.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Once again . . . there has to be one hour-long slot between Monday-Friday that this show could slide into. Nobody watching Survivor has to deal with football, golf, one of ten thousand country music award shows, etc.

This episode was as ugly as the last one was fun. Art & JJ are too alpha, Nary & Jamie are too lame, and all three couples still have various levels of suck going on. Even the final task brought out a tiny bit of strain between Bopper & Mark. Seriously, I think the producers are resorting to Burnett-levels of stunts. Think about it . . . six pairs of sweaty, tired people, surrounded by all sorts of implements that they can use to kill each other with.

I'm really hoping for a resolution between Vanessa and Rachel, mostly because they both suck. I'd go against Rachel, because she's been on Big Brother. I figure at least nine out of ten BB players are mentally unstable and hate-worthy. If I'm running the Race and "Evel Dick" is doing the same, I probably would be tempted to wait until he sleeps until I smother him with a pillow. Whatever . . . Vanessa probably reeks as bad.

Not much else to add. Totally saw the non-elimination coming. Also tired of the same two teams winning the legs. Even in TAR9, Fran & Barry managed to break up the monopoly between the two teams of assholes.

fredfunk

fredfunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Really liking Art and JJ. They're cocky, arrogant, and they seemed to be having alot of fun! Great combination.

athena23

athena23

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

I also get a kick out of Dave and Rachel's bickering. It's pretty amusing and loving bickering.

This. I don't know that I'd call it loving but it's obviously the way they function as a couple. This would be my husband and I--stress would make him say jerkish things, I would ignore them or be sarcastic the way Rachel does, and then they're fine afterward. That's functional if they can both cope with it, which they seem to. If she were in tears when he did it, I'd say otherwise. After watching them, we had to agree with Art/J.J. (interchangeable to me) when he said this is why we're not doing this with our wives.

And I thought Vanessa's response to Phil was the most honest. No one likes Team BB, quit stuntcasting, and she's dead on that no one else likes them for varying reasons.

All that being said, Go Kentucky!

MzRandom

MzRandom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

I never thought I would be on Rachel's and Brendan's side in an argument but Vanessa is really nasty in a vicious non-fun way. It was high schoolish on both sides though and Art and JJ also looked bad in it. Seriously shut up and enjoy the Zebras!

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Dave and Rachel evidently have a sniping/passive-aggressive dynamic that works for them. Actually, their bickering is so mild compared to other teams (past and present) that I just ignore it. I love her putting her finger to her mouth and shushing Phil...knowing it was fruitless.

I thought for sure Brendan and Rachel were going to finish their tent the fastest...she did seem to have a good idea of the basics. I'm not quite sure what went wrong.

The fed agents/kindergarten teachers are still personality-less -- well, there was an occasional spark tonight. I would not tell Art & JJ a thing either -- not that I thought they were bullying, just arrogant.

Bopper and Mark worked very quickly on the tent (and surprised me having no trouble jumping), even with forgetting the water.

Venessa and Ralph - he has tried to calm her down, but it hasn't worked much lately.

Looks like Dave/Rachel U-turn the Border Patrol next week...and they are taking it personally. Sigh. It's just a race move, guys.

mwolf

mwolf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Crap, unsuspenseful linear leg. Nary and Jamie were obviously gonna be last once Jamie told her femur story.

I kinda felt sorry for Joey and Danny, who were completely ignored in Phil's recap voiceover at the beginning in favor of a recap of all the pettiness.

And WTF at Art and JJ saying they're trying to minimize the drama?

Rusun

Rusun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Really liking Art and JJ. They're cocky, arrogant, and they seemed to be having alot of fun! Great combination.

I'll have what you're having, if it erases all memory of BP's Pitstop comments.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Rachel actually tried to play the victim in the airport incident. It was witnessed by others. It was the others bringing it up, not the team that got shoved and flipped off. Lord knows I am no Vanessa fan but she is right. She looks younger than Rachel. Especially when Rachel does her fake crying.

Art and JJ go back and forth with me. First they call out Rachel and Brendan (yay), then they make stupid anti-women comments (ugh).

The Kindergarten Cops needs to stop the charade. It is not like it is helping them. They don't have a target on their back because they suck at racing not because anyone is buying the lie. Also, Good Rachel showed them up at the throwing detour. She got it on the first try, it looked like.

Still love Mark & Bopper the best. They stay out of the fighting, all the teams seem to like them, they race somewhat well.

What was up with Vanessa and Bad Rachel complaining about the bikes being too high? When Bad Rachel did it, I just took it as more of her auto-whining. But then Vanessa whined too. No one else complained. They looked like normal height bikes to me.

Imajicka1

Imajicka1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Listening to the kindergarten cops whine about how weak they are because they are just women was pissing me off- you'd think a law enforcement professional (both of whom look to be in good shape) would have had some physical training.

Compared to all of the real whining that went on (ie. Vanessa with the bikes; Dave's OCD; BB's Rachel with life), I really didn't consider the federal agents as whining so much as being matter-of-fact. Truth is, I doubt their training involves any serious weightlifting (they're agents, not bodybuilders), and those metal poles do look pretty heavy.

Art, JJ and Vanessa have accomplished something I thought was impossible. They've actually made me sympathize with Brandon and Rachel. As for Art and JJ stirring the "pot", look... I get that whole sense of mischeif, that instinct to provoke, I understand it... but the problem is Art and JJ have to deal with the people they provoke throughout the rest of the race. This is extra energy that they are expending that has very little benefit for them. I'm pretty sure the race is hard enough without having to rile up the other teams.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

These people are all so boring, which is kind of killing the season.

Also, the tasks? Simple (jumping for a minute), repeats (Runga tossing was a roadblock on All-Stars), or dull (build a tent and boringly fight about it!). Add in a non-elimination and you only have the scenery to save the episode. It tried nobly, but failed.

msburg

msburg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Lord knows I am no Vanessa fan but she is right. She looks younger than Rachel. Especially when Rachel does her fake crying.

I don't know -- I think Vanessa loses all one-upsmanship on this point when she has to admit to her plastic surgeries at only 38 years old. Ugly on the inside, honey. She's the type who makes it easy for Art and/or JJ to get all misogynistic. (sp?)

And what the hell? Did they decide their new strategy was to get everyone all riled up, to what end? And it was funny how they were gravely disappointed coming in third. Humbly, I'm sure.

I like Nary and Jaime, abnd they were right. They had a height/strength disadvantage at the end.

Nimberlane

Nimberlane

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

Vanessa is ugly. Rachel is no prize herself but I found myself siding with her (SCARY) in the whole exchange. Art/JJ steering the pot like the assholes they are pissed me off. Especially when they had the audacity to corner Nary/Jamie and demand they tell them the truth. You can fuck RIGHT off thank you very much. And take that harpy Vanessa with you.

Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I actually liked watching the cat fights in the airport. Today was also the first day that I sort of liked the border patrollers but it didn't last for the entire episode. I totally get why they were pissed at being followed all the time but laughed when they went in the wrong direction and didn't realize it.

I could have just watched the scenery in Tanzania and also would have gotten out of the vehicle to look at the elephants knowing my team was dead last. I'm glad the Kinder-Feds are still in it even though they're kind of meh.

The jumping up and down task wasn't remotely tough. That was a pretty lame task.

yruneh

yruneh

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Apparently, Jamie, Nary, Mark, and Bopper are the only remaining Racers who graduated from sixth grade. I fully expect "I know you are, but what am I" to be deployed soon. Actually, Ralph seemed to be trying to rein Vanessa in. My opinion of him has improved a bit as the race progressed.

Mark and Bopper need to brush up on their social studies. First, they thought Azerbaijan was in Africa. Now, Mark is saying he thinks ancestors came to America from the Tanzania area. I think the North American slave trade originated almost exclusively in West Africa.

Jamie said the guys at work have wanted to see her and Nary in the shower together. And yet, I'm not a federal agent or a kindergarten teacher. Jamie's pants are awesome. I'm a little curious about why they never specify what federal agency they work for.

Art and JJ complaining that Big Brother would just ask for the flights they got at the travel agency was really lame. What do they expect them to do? Ask to go to Tanzania by way of Stockholm?

I cringed a bit when non-BB Rachel said something like, "Uh oh, natives." Does she think they're going to chop her into pieces. They're just rural folks in a different country, not space aliens.

Edited by yruneh, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:39 PM.

Tigger 7

Tigger 7

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

Had to laugh when Bopper commented on the "herd of tigers" he saw below.

And when they were putting up the tent and he had his butt in Mark's face, did Mark say "Don't fart on me, Bop?" That's what I heard it as (and it was kind of self explanatory given their positioning), but my Mom heard it as "Don't fall on me, Bop."

Liked the girls stopping to enjoy the elephants.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

I think the descriptions given of each task were vague (deliberately), so that the teams really had no idea what was involved. I think if they were told that one task involved jumping up and down for a minute, and the other involved hitting clay targets with a rungu...I suspect all of the teams would have chosen Courtship. Yep, the jumping was lame -- but I think that was the point. Tricking the teams.

Edited by sinycalone, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:50 PM.

etagloh

etagloh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Smelled like a NEL early on, thanks to the location, and the tent task seemed to lock that in: I don't think there have been many overnight camps with eliminations. An elimination might have been a blessing for Nary and Jamie, who continue to bleed time regardless of whether their cover has been blown.

My suspicion is that TPTB weighed the Detour to appeal to the egos (call it professional pride) of the military/law teams -- no way they'd resist the marksmanship task, even though the courtship jump was much more straightforward. Not quite a handicap, but a definite push on the scale.

I'm going to ignore the handbags at ten paces, but it seems perfectly timed for the W-turn next week.