14-6: 2012.04.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

122 replies to this topic

scootman

scootman

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

OH Good God, Maria has a broken foot now? What's next a broken ankle. Rolling eyes BIG TIME!

I don't get the doubts about her injuries. A doctor went on TV with his name scrolled across the bottom of the screen and said she has a stress fracture, so I believe it. I feel bad for her, because if she was was healthy, I think she leads this thing. YMMV, of course. I hope she's well enough to continue.

I will say Donald is rightly at the top. The Disney kid was good, maybe slightly over scored. William was also over scored, I like him but that got very messy at one point.

Sheri once again didn't really do the dance, and looked shocked when she got very light criticism. I blame the judges, they taught her the first few weeks that her so-called "bubbly personality" was all she needed.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:04 AM

Just checked the DVR to see if I could see when Melissa's head was hit (report is that it was during the dance, and she felt dizzy after).

Two possible times--early on, Maks lays her on the floor after a sort of almost-horizontal half-spin, steps over her head, then pulls her up again. It didn't look like it was then--her head looked like she held it up--but it was hard to be sure, because their names and phone number were on screen overlaying her head.

Second time, almost at the end, he lowers and spins her and she might have hit her head on his knee. Right after that, her skirt got under his foot and he slid on it and fell rather abruptly on his rear. He might have lifted the foot in response to getting hit? Again, hard to be sure. Maybe Maks was looking for ice for either Melissa's head/neck or his knee when he took off abruptly after the scoring.

Glad she seems to be basically okay. I liked the dance better on rewatch (though she did kind of have a deer in the headlights look throughout).

sigmaforce86

sigmaforce86

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

I blame the audience as much as the show. Are they freaking blind? Poor Len tries to give William some honest comments and the audiences boos? For that screwed up mess of a dance? How could they possibly not see that blown lift?

They've been doing that for a few seasons now. Really makes me irritated because this is a competition, how else are they supposed to improve?

This is one of the things that's starting to ruin the show for me and TPTB really need to start giving the audience some guidelines. Pointing out a mistake, especially a very obvious one is not a reason to boo; neither is giving constructive criticism. Just once I'd like to hear them boo when the judges overly praise a poor dance.

If I were Jaleel I'd have to ask Kym what they mean by staccato; no clue what that means in dance terminology.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

Okay, there is something very phony about Jaleel, and it's not just the tabloid stories and rumors centering around his treatment of Kym last week (and the damage control articles all over the internet about him THIS week), or the emotional (and bizarre) tribute to a smarmy character he played on TV named Stefan Urkell. It's a combination of those things and the declaration last night that he has never heard of Mick Jagger. Seriously? Were you just dropped off at the ABC studios by horse and buggy from Nappanee, Indiana, where you led an Amish existence for 35 years? This is a man who has grown up in Hollywood in front of the cameras. You mean to tell me that he never listened to a radio in all those years? Never saw a music video? Shut the front door. He's old enough to remember MTV when it actually showed videos and the Rolling Stones were all over it back in the 80's. I'm sorry, but after hearing that line of bullshit and seeing footage of poor Kym draping herself all over him in an overblown attempt to prove that they're getting along just fine, I'm crying foul.

Oh, and Jaleel? George Jefferson struts like Mick Jagger, not the other way around. The Rolling Stones were here first.

This fake asshole can't go home soon enough for me.

Okay, someone help me out. I have no idea what song Derek and Katherine danced to.

And a Viennese Waltz? On Rock Week? WTF, show?!

And this is the second season in a row where Derek's partners have been injured. Maybe there's an issue there? I don't know, not suggesting he beats anybody, just rough choreography might cause these issues.

Third in a row, right? Jennifer Grey was in pain most of the season, Ricki Lake was hobbling last season, and now Maria.

Judges and fans always gush how innovative and wonderful Derek's choreography is. Well, maybe it's too difficult for a non-professional. Maybe he's pushing these women too hard. Maybe we now know why it seems that Derek gets the younger ringers every season. If he had Gladys as a partner, she'd be in traction right now.

LOL @ Biosynth's post below.

Go Donald!

Edited by ChicksDigScars, Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:30 AM.

Biosynth

Biosynth

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Said in best Tom Bergeron voice:

Next week, on Dancing with the Stars...Maria breaks her pelvis and yet puts on a brave face and carries on.

In two weeks, on Dancing with the Stars...Maria breaks her Femur and yet puts on a brave face and carries on.

In three weeks, on Dancing with the Stars...Maria breaks her skull and yet puts on a brave face and carries on.

Honestly, what is Derek doing to her that she's coming up with all these breaks (not including her pelvis, Femur or skull.)

I was least impressed by Gladys, honestly. I like her and I love Tristan, but it really looked like he had to haul her around the dance floor.

sophiapet

sophiapet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

I never followed JW since watching Urkel, so I was looking forward in seeing him on this show. Holy shit, what a dick.

Did anyone notice when Chelsie did a split by holding onto Roshan's neck, he almost toppled over? He stumbled and it looked so uncomfortable, I thought the judgery would've caught that.

I really don't like it when the judgery tells one of them they're the 'best of the men' or the 'best of the women'...who in the hail wants to compete after that?

So, William could just stand there and not move, and Bruno would still give him an '8'. Anybody that got below an '8' last night, should be pissed. He totally fucked up, and he doesn't even get a '6'!

I watched GMA recapping last night's show, and they said that at least Maria is not making her injuries a big deal, and trumping on. If it aint a big deal, then stop showing the x-rays and talking about it.

Edited by sophiapet, Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:26 AM.

MeowHerine

MeowHerine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

I can't figure out why the judges are being so hard on Gladys. Does she secretly want off the show before they have to do two dances? Did she turn Len down back in the day? Did Tristan turn Bruno down? Seriously, what gives?

This. So much. Sherri was utter crap and William did terribly on his jive, but both scored higher than Gladys. It's not right.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Yeay, William rocks his Tribute-to-Apolo bandana! while Donald dons his Tribute-to-Bret-Michaels bandana!

Best parts of the night were the Kiss guys getting into the scene. Mark Ballas tied up? Let's do that every week! Gladys is measuring Tristan's tongue and then is startled to find Gene behind her with his tongue out? Made me LOL. (Although the tongue measuring made me wonder about a few things.) Loved Tristan's black fingernail polish. I would volunteer to paint his nails every week if he likes.

While I'm not a fan of men dancing w/o shirts (I much prefer the "suggestion" and the "mystery".), Donald kicks William's butt in the bare-chest department. I'm not getting the William lust when Donald is way hotter. Plus Donald is funny and humble and I like what I see in his rehearsal packages.

Maks, those pants made your butt look HUGE! (Not that you asked.)

What was with Brooke's gigantor hair? Had to laugh when one of the pros got his hand caught in it during the fishbowl segment. There could have been birds caught in there too, it was so ... well ... BIG.

Roshon the "best man dancer?" I BEG to differ there. I am quickly disliking the kid. He is no Kyle Massey. I get the impression Chelsey is getting tired of him too.

Edited by SaberTail, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:19 AM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

It's rock week! Where our remaining contestants dance to rock classics with beats that vaguely sound like they might sorta match the assigned ballroom dance... ish.

But FIRST, we get treated to the spectacle of Kiss rocking out, while the troupe... mime. Seriously, that was my reaction waaay before Tom's delish 'mimes gone wild' line. Trust me, Sasha is WAAY cooler in the 'Burn the Floor' DVD.

Sherri and Val: If last week Sherri showed a range of emotions from A to B, this week she stuck to A. She did the steps, I guess, but not very well, and she doesn't seem to have any flexibility in her legs - she's dancing every dance like she has to pee and is trying to hold it in. If it wouldn't have been for Val in guyliner, this dance would have been a complete waste of my time.

Katherine and Mark: Katherine is a very good dancer, and so she figured it out. Unfortunately, I could see her figuring it out - it felt a bit like when you're watching figure skating, and you can see the skater setting up for the next jump, rather than the jump just flowing naturally from the choreography. It wasn't bad - everything was executed well - but the flow wasn't there for me, and I didn't feel like she fully sold the character.

Jaleel and Kym: A tango that felt like... a foxtrot. Dude, I know you're trying to make all nice and sweet after last week, but this was the time for the agression! It's saying something when Kym is more agressive than you are. Ultimately, I've become bored of him both as a dancer and a 'personality'. Next!

Melissa and Maks: One of perhaps 3 songs this week that was actually appropriate to the dance. The costumes were gorgeous, the choreography fabulous, and Melissa almost nailed it - but you have to make allowances for the fact that she danced half of it while concussed. Yeah, that's when the muscle memory really kicks in. Definitely her best dance.

Donald and Peta: OK, Peta has come into her own as a choreographer with this one - this was not an easy song to dance a Paso to, but this was one of my favourite routines of the night, and it wasn't just because of the magnificence of Donald's pecs (and warrier tats) on display. She managed to put together a proper Paso Doble to a psychedelic rock song. Yes, Donald's posture could be a bit better, but he earned his spot on the top of the leader board.

Gladys and Tristan: The music thread here is titled 'I didn't know Star Wars was a tango!'. Well, after this, I propose that we put 'I didn't know Bohemian Rhapsody was a tango!', 'cause that has to be one of the most out there music picks of all time on this show. But, by george, Tristan somehow found a tango beat in there somewhere, and while her posture was off, Gladys stayed on beat for the most part and actually did pretty well with a difficult routine. But seriously, it's time to let the gal shake her tail feather. Oh, and if rock week did nothing but give us Tristan in guyliner? Then thank you. Really.

William and Cheryl: I've been expecting the jive to be his downfall, and the dude didn't disappoint. It actually started off well, but then Cheryl didn't swing as easily as that sack of potatoes William's been practicing with, and it all fell apart after that. And the judges admonished William for going off-script, and reminded him that he had to actually dance the routines before they handed the competition to him, and gave him 7-7-8(!) for doing nothing, but next time boy, if you fall on your ass 3 times, we might have to actually, you know, give you the scores you deserve.

Rochon and Chelsie: So, when all other couples are dancing to rock classics, Rochon gets... a song by that dude that won AI a couple of years ago. Listen, I like David Cook, but if I were assigned to Viennese Waltz to one of his songs when other are getting Queen and Rolling Stones tunes, I'd be majorly pissed. That said, Rochon actually coped fairly well, and didn't seem nearly as spastic as other weeks. His rapping is starting to bug, however.

Maria and Derek: Perhaps the best song in terms of actually being appropriate to the dance. Which is a good thing, because Maria has enough on her plate, what with her broken ribs and stress fractures and nasty case of the plague (OK, latter hasn't been diagnosed - yet). But she isn't going to make a big deal of those issues - it isn't her fault that the producers insist on following her to the doctor's office and filming her x-ray. She does have the best frame of any of the female contestants, and the dance is very good - although not perfect - but really, she has the easiest music to dance to.

Gavin and Karina: Tango to 'Paint it Black'. Just for that, I was going to like this performance. First of all, dude knows rock, and Mick Jagger for that matter. And he's really making an effort. Yeah, his frame is wonky, but he really performed this dance, and actually gave one of the more convincing tango performances of the night. And he had guyliner. And his answer to Brookbot was just... precious. Can we keep him, please?

Random notes:

-Kiss on the DWTS stage was kinda... bizarrely right. I love how they kept popping up, like some weird fun fair ride.
-'Mimes gone wild' - can I say again how much I love Tom Bergeron?
-I think I might have to tweet a thank you to the DWTS makeup team for all the guyliner (Val! Tristan! Gavin! Tristan! Maks! Tristan! Did I mention Tristan?!?!)
-Mark tied up while Paul Stanley flirts with Katherine had my vote as the best.segue.ever - until Gladys measured Tristan's tongue and compared with Gene Simmons. I'm telling you, Kiss added a whole new dimension of bizarre wackyness to the proceedings... :P

Edited by Twickenham, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:23 AM.

Fliz

Fliz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

I hate Rock Week. I was just embarrassed for everyone involved.

Did Brooke use every hair extension in the trailer to create that mess?

Cheryl gets my vote for “The Show Must Go On” award. I didn’t realize until I watched again that her shoe came off pretty early in the dance and you’d never have known it from the look on her face.

reed83

reed83

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Maria is working my last nerve with the "I'm tough, I'm Greek!!!" mantra. I do not understand this. Should everyone scream their ethnic, genetic makeup every time toughness is brought up? Are the Greeks known for their toughness and ability to battle their unending, imagined pain in order to compete for a reality dance competition show? I appreciate she was pandering to her Greek cheering section-John Stamos, Rita Wilson and the lady married to the guy from CougarTown but still. Give it a rest.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I know Gene and Paul Stanley have never left the band, but judging by the make up, it seemed that they had Ace Frehley and Peter Criss playing with them--and I never thought the original line up would play together again. Or else there were guys in Ace and Peter's make up, which is just wrong.

They fired Ace and Peter several years ago, brought them back briefly for a comeback tour, then fired them again. There have been guys wearing the same makeup and costumes as Ace and Peter for a good while now.

Shenanigan

Shenanigan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Does anyone know what song Mark and Katherine danced to?

Buddha DeCat

Buddha DeCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I agree with Donald. They deserved at least one 10. Their dance was the best of the night, imo.

Well, while I agree that Donald had the best dance of the night, IMO, he only deserved a 10 because of the previous craziness with the way the judges have been scoring. I'm sorry, but no one deserved those high scores (not to mention those 10s) that were handed out the last three weeks like candy. SMH.

Speaking of 10s, could the judges be *any* more obvious that they wanted Katherine to stick around despite her lack of fan base here in the States? It's not that I don't think she looks good out there, but I don't think she would have had to votes to stay if the judges had been less insane with their scoring.

And Gladys & Tristan should get a free pass to next week for having to dance a tango to Bohemian Rhapsody, IMO. I bet Golden Boy Derrick would never have to put up with that ridiculousness.

Edited by Buddha DeCat, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:53 AM.

sap2006

sap2006

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Maria is working my last nerve with the "I'm tough, I'm Greek!!!" mantra. I do not understand this. Should everyone scream their ethnic, genetic makeup every time toughness is brought up? Are the Greeks known for their toughness and ability to battle their unending, imagined pain in order to compete for a reality dance competition show? I appreciate she was pandering to her Greek cheering section-John Stamos, Rita Wilson and the lady married to the guy from CougarTown but still. Give it a rest.

You and me both! Considering what's going on in Greece these days, I wouldn't call them tough! Next week it will be something else, no doubt.

Buddha DeCat

Buddha DeCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

Donald was by far the best of the night. If he keeps on this trajectory, he's my favorite to win. It's obvious that Donald's working very hard and really listening to Peta. Maybe that's why athletes do so well in DWTS -- the work ethic plus the ability to act on feedback. I think the actors/singers want to listen to their coaches but they have a hard time translating advice into action, whereas the athletes seem to know how to do that. Listening is a skill set that not everyone has developed.

ITA with this assessment. Athletes understand what being "coached" means and a lot of these other celebs, who are usually surrounded by "yes men" kind of don't.

LadyEight

LadyEight

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

I couldn't watch Melissa and Maks because I couldn't see past her Prairie frills and his gold with black stripe? pants!

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

If I were Jaleel I'd have to ask Kym what they mean by staccato; no clue what that means in dance terminology.

It means exactly the same thing in dance that it means in music: a sharp, precise, stop-and-start rhythm.

jazzinator

jazzinator

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

I was certainly expecting lower scores for William until I remembered that Sherri messed up pretty much as badly in her Jive a couple of weeks ago, did a lot less dancing than William managed either pre- or post-mess up and got a 23. Once the judges forgive that for one dancer, precedent is set. I thought William started really well and considering Cheryl was dancing on her shoe, they got relatively back on track.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

It looked to me like Derek hurt Maria's feet near the end of the dance, when they got slammed forward... perhaps that's why he heaved her up onto his back. (Doesn't he also have a bad back? Or is it just a bad shoulder?)

Agree that Derek is either too hard on his stars or just knows best how to corner the sympathy vote market.

But hey, Greeks ARE tough! Especially the women. (You don't know what we have to go through just for grooming purposes!) And especially these days. Nevertheless, it's making me extremely uncomfortable that Maria is dancing with cracked ribs and fractured feet. If she ends up seriously injured or with lifelong physical repercussions, I blame Derek.

Kabluna

Kabluna

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

I was actually looking forward to Rock Night, especially since I was a child of the 80s. But both the music and the dancing were just so awful.... I like the DWTS band, but can they please replace the singers?

I'm not usually a guyliner fan, but wow. Tristan, Val, even Gavin? Yummy.

Someone upthread mentioned how Roshon stumbled when Cheslie did her split while hanging onto his neck. It made me seriously wonder whether he'll be able to lift her if they make it to finals or Argentine Tango. Chelsie is not exactly huge, but Roshon is so small and wiry. I'm worried.

When Mark and Katherine were on deck, my 10-year-old son walked into the room and said "She looks really pretty!" Then when they showed her clip package, he had no idea that the girl with the short blonde bob was the same person. Hee. But I agree with him - Katherine was a knockout in her hair extensions and black leather.

Donald in the granny shawl was too funny. I wish they'd show more of that side of his personality. Even Peta was interesting and likeable last night.

I had to leave the room a few times, and I wonder if I missed something - did they explain Maria's Greek cheering section at all? At first I didn't make the connection... just wondered if John Stamos, Nia Vardolos, and Rita Wilson were doing a movie together. Then Maria said "I'm Greek, I'm tough" for the 12341234th time, and it connected for me. Are they actual friends of hers, or was this a gimmick?

I wasn't thrilled at first when Kiss came out to perform. But their little pop-ups during the rest of the show were all kinds of awesome.

I have to disagree with Len about Gladys being behind the beat. There wasn't much beat there in BR, but when it surfaced, I thought she was right on it. Certainly moreso than Sherri, who scored higher.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

It looked to me like Derek hurt Maria's feet near the end of the dance, when they got slammed forward... perhaps that's why he heaved her up onto his back. (Doesn't he also have a bad back? Or is it just a bad shoulder?)

There were pics of Maria on Derek's back a few days ago, so I think they planned to do it again on the show. It's possible they planned it because they thought it would be best for Melissa's health... or maybe they planned it to get attention.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

or maybe they planned it to get attention.

This option gets my vote.

Once the music is cleared, why can't they used the recordings, the same ones they rehearse to? I remember last season one star (was it Chynna, when she forgot her dance?) said, "The music was so different" when asked why she goofed up. That was the only time I've heard the crummy music mentioned. Are the stars/pros told not to comment on the terrible band/singers? Many times I cannot recognize the song being played/sung even if I know its "real" counterpart. The music S*CKS on this show.

Did anyone else see The Hoff behind Tom in nearly every shot? It was pretty funny, he kept appearing almost as much as did Kiss members.

ETA: Is black the only allowed color you can wear if one is a "rocker?"

Edited by SaberTail, Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:26 PM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Is black the only allowed color you can wear if one is a "rocker?"

Yes, unless you dance to 'Paint it Black', in which case you can wear black... and purple.

In other, quite interesting news, check out Tom Bergeron's latest tweet:

WTF? Online voting has shifted all night. This one will make your jaws drop. DWTS Results @ 9/8 C on ABC.

Sherri? Jaleel? William? Katherine???

RedRoseGypsy

RedRoseGypsy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

? WTF. Online voting has shifted all night. This one will make your jaws drop. DWTS Results @ 9/8 C on ABC.

Sherri? Jaleel? William? Katherine???

I saw that too and the first person I thought of was Maria, then William.

mwolf

mwolf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Donald was by far the best of the night. If he keeps on this trajectory, he's my favorite to win. It's obvious that Donald's working very hard and really listening to Peta. Maybe that's why athletes do so well in DWTS -- the work ethic plus the ability to act on feedback. I think the actors/singers want to listen to their coaches but they have a hard time translating advice into action, whereas the athletes seem to know how to do that. Listening is a skill set that not everyone has developed.

Right now Donald is the only one I want in the final, and I think he, not Roshon, is the best male dancer.

WTF? Online voting has shifted all night. This one will make your jaws drop. DWTS Results @ 9/8 C on ABC.

I would die if it's Maria vs. William.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

What does that mean, that "online voting has shifted"? I only vote via phone. Is online voting suppose to be the same every week? And "shifted" ... does that mean someone is getting more or less votes? And do we ever learn which stars get what votes from where? And if jaws will drop ... does that mean someone golden is getting voted off? Or someone TPTB hate (Gladys) is getting the most votes?

It's all so ... CONFUSING!

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Hmm -- it sounds as though we may be in for an unexpected elimination tonight. That doesn't usually happen until much later in the season. Could we possibly be losing Katherine or Maria?

And do we ever learn which stars get what votes from where?

Nope. Voter transparency has never existed on this show. The only version that has ever specifically broken down the viewer vote every week is the Polish version.

Edited by legaleagle44, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:10 PM.

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

I imagine Greeks are probably a tough lot. Some of us of Welsh extraction, however, are an uncaring lot and likely to laugh when the next "I'm tough!" is followed by a leg falling off, zombie style.

Krilia

Krilia

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

The attempt to take that small of a clip from a 6+ minute song that varies throughout seems futile. We will not even go into the four singers attempting to sound like 80+ track on track copies of Queen. Queen never even did the operatic version live - they played a tape and took a quick offstage break. The people for the musical perform it, but they use the whole cast.

They aren't Mick Jagger songs, they're Rolling Stones songs.

I preferred School's Out from the Muppet Show.

Did anyone else think from his outfit that Gavin was going to be doing an Ozzy or Black Sabbath song?