14-6: 2012.04.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

122 replies to this topic

Strega

Strega

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Rock Week return to "Dancing with the Stars", with KISS opening the show with a spectacular performance of “Rock and Roll All Nite,” accompanied by the Troupe. Bringing lots of leather and lots of fire, the remaining ten couples will perform to some of the greatest Rock songs of all time, MONDAY, APRIL 9 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Well . . . "Rock hands" died tonight.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Freddie Mercury was groaning from the grave. Aye-yi-yi, what those singers did to murder Bohemian Rhapsody. It was a rime. I always hate paso and tango danced to these rock songs. It sucks.

Melissa is injured? B-bye. Maria had best see to that foot, or she'll be gone soon.

Roshon & Chelsie and Peta & Donald were outstanding this evening.

If Melissa doesn't go, it will be Gavin. He was lifeless. Did we need to see the guyliner?

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

So first Maria busted her ribs, and now she's busted her foot. I predict that she'll bust her collarbone next week, but that she'll ~bravely soldier on. And at this rate, by the end of the season, she'll be dancing with a broken back or neck.

Now that Anna and Jack are gone and Jaleel has turned out to be a fucking tool, I think I'm rooting for Donald. His dancing is good, he seems like a nice guy, and I'm always a sucker for celebrities who are genuine fans of the show (as long as they're not crazy like Sherri). I also like Gladys and Roshon, but I don't think they're going to make it to the finals.

William looked completely lost during his jive and seemed to just stand around a lot. When he did kick and jump around, his footwork was weak. How the hell could the judges give him 7s and an 8 and only give Gladys a 6 when she didn't totally lose the plot the way William did? Len, you crusty old fart.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Has Hell frozen over? Or did the judges actually, you know judge the performances tonight?

Sherri continues to annoy and I really, as someone who loves the Tango, didn't appreciate that rolling hip thingie move she did, either at the beginning or at the end.

Poor Gladys. I was really hoping she'd be able to do much better than she did.

But please. The judges loving Jaleel's take on Mick Jagger as George Jefferson? Just made me roll my eyes, frankly.

I don't know; I'm just so spoiled from watching Maks and Mel B's Tango, Rhumba and most especially. their Paso Doble, that no one else can compare.

Donald was smokin' tonight. Everyone else just background noise.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Worst selection of Rock songs ever, in the history of eternity, amen. Wow, did those song choices make absolutely no sense! A Tango to Bohemian Rhapsody???? Seriously??? Awful!

And Donald was ROBBED! I have to cap it, even, just robbed. He deserved at least one ten, if not two, seriously Carrie Ann and Bruno, what good was your drunken man lust to only give 9s?! Bs all the way around, if I were Peta I would have given them all death glares.

donnamarie

donnamarie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I'd like to see the following order of elimination:

Melissa
Sherri
Jaleel
Gladys
Gavin

Melissa was terrible tonight. I really like Gavin and Gladys and would like them to stick around for a few more weeks. Donald was terrific and Carrie Ann was full of shit when she said Rashon was the best of the men.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think there was much impressive dancing tonight. Rock and ballroom are a weird match, maybe? The technical and costuming people certainly went all out. I guess Donald did the best, but did he get the nines for dancing alone? One look at that body and one is agog, no? Never mind William. The Bohemian Rhapsody video take off with the Gang of Four was fun, but then the resident singers took over. Yikes! I do love Gladys and she's in there giving it her all. It looked like William did manage some actual jive before things went awry. Roshon might have been a little gawky, but not bad. I hope Gavin doesn't go, just because I find myself liking him more than I thought I would. But his number may be up, despite his scores tonight.

JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I was kind of scratching my head over the 8 William got. I mean, I kind of felt bad for the guy, but he really seemed to lose the thread of the dance when it went wrong.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Will & Cheryl doing the Jive to "We're Not Gonna Take It" reminded me of Aaron Carter & Karina doing the Jive to that same song. That was the best Jive ever on this show, IMO, so I knew it wouldn't compare, but Will's performance was kind of painful. I will say that for the most part, he had good upper body positioning, which is a thing a lot of celebs struggle with with the Jive.

I thought that the judges were a bit harsh over the screw up. It happens, even when you're totally focusing. However, there was a whole lot wrong with that Jive anyway.

I liked Cheryl's whole look. However, did she get a nose job? Her nose looks super small and nose job-y. I've never noticed that before.

Rashon is so annoying, and that sucks, because I generally enjoy his performances the most.

That Paso Doble of Katherine's was really complex, and I wish the judges would have acknowledged that. However, there was a lack of fluidity, which isn't usually her problem.

Gladys' body was flailing around. I like her a lot, but that wasn't good. Again, though, kudos for a tough routine.

I liked the whole presentation of Gavin's dance, but Len is exactly right about his butt sticking out. It was probably the most engaging performance of the night for me, though.

I really wish they'd stop letting "theme weeks" get in the way of good dancing. Tango music deserves sultry music, dammit!

Kind of disappointed in Melissa and Maks' performance, because they had by far the best music. It's a rock song, but it definitely had some latin flair that was perfect for the Paso.

MusicaDolce

MusicaDolce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Worst selection of Rock songs ever, in the history of eternity, amen. Wow, did those song choices make absolutely no sense! A Tango to Bohemian Rhapsody???? Seriously??? Awful!

I totally agree, and I'll add to that: what was up with Roshon having to do a Viennese Waltz, on rock night? I thought he did an excellent job, but it just seemed out of place tonight. Why would the producers give him that dance? Makes no sense.

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I love Carrie Ann's implicit admission ("I'm trying to give constructive criticism tonight") that more often than not she just blabbers and blows smoke.

msburg

msburg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

Very happy that the judges reined it in tonight. I think Sheri went first so they could score her as low as she should be without a backlash. First few couples are never overscored, right?

Loved Donald's dance -- not the most polished, and the tongue stuff annoyed after the first five times, but he really owned that.

Loved the new stairwell, the stairway to heaven, the anarchy on DWTS, the ?Que?

Edited by msburg, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:17 PM.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I think Katherine was underscored tonight. I loved her dance. William should have been scored lower for messing up like he did and so should Melissa for messing up the ending. I was not as taken with Donald as the judges were. It looked like they had a lift when he was spinning her around, yet there was no mention of it at all.

I am already tired of Maria and her "injuries". I doubt she could dance if she really had hurt ribs and a hurt foot. And watching her piggy backed on Derek was just annoying. The judges laid low the first week, but they have already started with the usual Derek over praising.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Did anyone notice what happened to Melissa? It wouldn't break my heart to see her go, and Maks seems to be over her already.

How the heck does William get an 8 when he blows at least a couple of moves and Len gives Gladys a 6? Although who picked Bohemian Rhapsody? How do you dance to that? At least Tristan got a compliment for his choreography. I get the feeling he really doesn't like Carrie Ann. Welcome to the club.

I agree with Donald. They deserved at least one 10. Their dance was the best of the night, imo.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Gladys was a sport for dancing to that Queen song. It IS terrible for dancing! She deserves to stay for being a great spirit in that sea of egotistical folks. She really is a classy woman. Love Tristan too.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

I always hate paso and tango danced to these rock songs. It sucks.

I agree. And while I applaud KISS still performing and touring (and raking in $$$) at their age, I didn't like the opening of the show or their antics. <shrug> I was never into them,

Edited by isotonerz, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:24 PM.

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

William, I never thought I would say this, but Aaron Carter did it better. Soo much better.

The only ones that kept me entertain were Gladys, Roshon, Maria and Gavin. Not coincidentally those were the ones that they didn't completely tone down the song (not that they didn't kill the song but they actually played them somewhat close to the original tempo and volume).

I'm pretty sure there is no more hair dye or eye liner left in Southern California.

Edited by sab85, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:35 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

What's happened to the judges this season? They are giving sevens and eights for dances that normally got fives and sixes? This is just pathetic.

They gave William two 7's and a 8 for that steaming pile of a mess? He totally screwed up the lifts and that whole dance was a screwed up mess. Even 6's was almost too high a score for that dance. It's the same thing with Gavin and Maria. They were over-scored by at least a point or two by each judge.

This type of happy judging will ruin the show for me. Why even have judges if they pass out 7's and 8's like peanuts?

All you're doing is lying to the celebrities. Feeding them a load of bullcrap that they are a "great" dancer.

I blame the audience as much as the show. Are they freaking blind? Poor Len tries to give William some honest comments and the audiences boos? For that screwed up mess of a dance? How could they possibly not see that blown lift?

Roshon did pretty good. I thought he deserved all 8's. That 9 Carrie Ann and Bruno gave wasn't deserved. My issue with Roshon is there's no connection with his partner. It's all about me, me,me. Is my dance cool and hot? Roshon is supposed to be an actor and he can't create a genuine emotional connection with Chelsie?

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:30 PM.

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Outstanding
Donald/Peta- They blew me away tonight.
Chelsie/Roshon- The music, the theme, the costumes, the dancing..everything came together perfectly. I felt like I was watching a couple dance on prom night.

Biggest Disappointments
Katherine/Mark/Derek/Maria
-These two couples had flawless performances last week. This week was certainly a step down. Both girls lacked fluidity in their performances. They weren't the worst of the night but far from the best.

Biggest Surprise
Melissa/Maks
- By far her best dance.

Worst Of The Night
Sherri
- That was god awful. Her costume/make-up didn't help things. She looked like an aging prostitute who had been in the game too long. I get what they were going for but it was too much. Frankly I think she deserved 6's. Most certainly a guarantee for Bottom 3.

Meh
Jaleel/Kym
- I wish he would straighten his frame and legs. He always looks hunched over. Should have gotten 6's.
Gavin/Karina- Pretty boring performance. Karina's outfit was a bit much. She reminded me of those old saloon girls. I think that's what they called prostitutes back then.
William/Cheryl- Not bad actually, for him anyway. His kicks needs some work but at least he kept up with her.
Gladys/Tristan- She just can't keep up. I give her credit for getting through the dance.

Edited by tigerdee41, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:31 PM.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Now that Anna and Jack are gone and Jaleel has turned out to be a fucking tool, I think I'm rooting for Donald. His dancing is good, he seems like a nice guy, and I'm always a sucker for celebrities who are genuine fans of the show (as long as they're not crazy like Sherri). I also like Gladys and Roshon, but I don't think they're going to make it to the finals.

Same here. I didn't really take notice of Donald before, and Peta wasn't making an impression on me, but he really brought it tonight. He's got the potential, the great attitude, and thus far has been exempt from producer shenanigans.

I agree that the theme nights generally seem to inspire worse dancing. The only theme that was really successful was Acoustic Night, IMO. The Pasos performed that night were some of my favorites of the past few seasons.

I loved CAI admitting that her critiques are usually anything but constructive.

Not looking forward to the dance off tomorrow night.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Worried about Gladys tomorrow. And if Sherri is declared safe (vs bottom 3) I will spit. I can't take another week of her screeching.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Best moments of tonight were the rock guy going gaga over Williams thighs, Tristan in guyliner, Mark being tied up and gagged(wish that would happen more often) and Donalds dance. He's becoming my favorite very fast. I'm not a big Peta fan but I like their partnership and his dancing is really good. I hate theme weeks on this show because it always causes the quality of dance to decline. Gladys having to dance to BR was just wrong and she deserves major kudos for doing as well as she did. Marias sob stories annoy and bore me just because this is a girl who is SO injured that she was able to participate in a wrestling match. I know it's staged but shes still getting knocked around.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

~My Dancing with the Stars 14 Week 4 Review~

Preface- The weakest night of the season so far. This is why I hate these odd theme nights where it’s all style over substance. Frontrunners fell and so did the scores.

1. Sherri & Val (Tango) 21/30: I’m gonna say it for this dance and many others tonight, as it’s the phrase of the night. “Their weakest dance so far”. It wasn’t bad but it needed more sharpness. It was clean and precise but it just lacked that attack and fire needed for a Tango. If she had a longer dress it would’ve helped. My score: 21/30

2. Katherine & Mark (Paso Doble) 24/30: Saying it was her weakest dance is like picking the ugliest diamond in a bunch, it’s still a diamond. This is when the lineup order affects the score. Had she danced it later, she would’ve gotten a 25 or 26. She had the aggression down pat and her technique is what had a few off moments. A couple times she just was a hair off her hand connections to Mark. If she had like an extra day, it would’ve been more polished. It was her weakest but every frontrunner has that dance that just doesn’t fit them. But I still thought it was great. My score: 26/30

3. Jaleel & Kym (Tango) 22/30: It was competent but it, like his Jive and Rumba, was just too casual. Like it was just the dress rehearsal or something. His footwork isn’t sharp enough and I just thought he wasn’t 100% into it. He’s quickly fading. Just like Ralph Macchio; strong first dance and just gets worse and can’t capture that first dance magic. Plus he and Kym have little chemistry. My score: 21/30

4. Melissa & Maks (Paso Doble) 22/30: The only time I’m saying this tonight. “Their best dance so far.” She seemed much more confident and much more in control of her body. In hold, things got a little off, but overall, it captured the mood of the music and felt like she was just committed the most of any of her past dances. Hope she’s OK and that the hospital trip was just a precaution. My score: 23/30

5. Donald & Peta (Paso Doble) 27/30:
A bit over scored in my opinion. After 4 dances not up to the judges’ par, they needed to make that “best dance so far” statement in the scores. It was good, and he had the attack, his posture could’ve been better and I personally didn’t get the “humor” that was added. My score: 25/30

6. Gladys & Tristan (Tango) 20/30: Some parts of this were really good, but it was a really tough song to Tango to. So many rhythm changes and tempo changes within the song. She coped well, but the frame kept getting worse as the dance went on. Like Len said, wasn’t her best, but not her worst. My score: 20/30

7. William & Cheryl (Jive) 22/30: Another frontrunner that fell from grace but fell much harder than Katherine. The first part wasn’t bad, but not amazing. Once they messed up, he just never recovered. Not to mention, it was an extremely noticeable mess up. It got over scored by Bruno. How could he give William the same score he gave Katherine, who was much better? My score: 21/30

8. Roshon & Chelsie (Viennese Waltz) 26/30:
So, apparently “Time of my Life” by David Cook is rock music? Alrighty then. Well it was good, although I found it a bit hectic in spots and there were one or two mistakes I saw. Just seemed like an out of place dance for the night. I thought his Quickstep was better, however. My score: 25/30

9. Maria & Derek (Tango) 26/30: Really strong dance. She’s really improving so much. Her posture was really great and the mood of the dance really lit up the ballroom. Great technique. Just thought her footwork could’ve been a bit stronger in some sections, but this Tango had the most attack and staccato movement of all the Tangos tonight. My score: 26/30

10. Gavin & Karina (Tango) 23/30: Well, I would normally say why is one of the weakest dancers closing the show, but tonight overall was “blech” so I guess it fit. His upper body posture was horrible. Hunched over, shoulders up, and it was uncomfortable to watch. It was good, but I wasn’t blown away. I don’t know if it was enough to get him out of the bottom 2 though. We’ll see. My score: 21/30

Edited by PBGamer89, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:52 PM.

mewill95

mewill95

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

How the heck does William get an 8 when he blows at least a couple of moves and Len gives Gladys a 6?

Because Bruno is voting with his crotch. That's the only explanation I got.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

What's happened to the judges this season? They are giving sevens and eights for dances that normally got fives and sixes? This is just pathetic.

They've painted themselves into a corner with the whole 'highest level of dancing EVER!' thing we keep hearing. They can't stop now. They'll just keep overscoring until we all believe that William is an amazing dancer.

If there are 206 bones in the human body, how many can Maria break on this show? Week 8 she'll come out in a full body cast and then rip it off to do the jive, like Bristol in her gorilla suit. Seriously, I hope Maria is ok but they're something odd about a woman with bruised ribs doing Wrestlemania and asking a talk show host to punch her in the stomach.

Also hoping Melissa's ok. She hasn't really hinted about any aches or pains except for the normal sore feet. Hopefully they're just being overly cautious.

KatTV

KatTV

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

First, I think they should rename the show to Dancing With the Stars--the Arcade Game. Between the ridiculous tweets popping up on screen and the crazy non-stop lights flashing all over the floor and ceiling it's almost impossible to focus on the couple as they dance. Producers, please lose the over the top effects. They are not helping! I feel like I am watching a video game.

Well, the overall quality of the dancing seemed to take a hit tonight. Of course, now the couples only have one week to prepare for their dance, rather than four weeks leading up to week one.

When Mark and Katherine went to get their scores and Brooke popped into the frame, the first thought that popped into my head, was "Oh hey, they could be a threesome!" They looked like they all fell out of the same leather and rhinestone clothes hamper. Brooke looked like she could have been the third wheel in their dance. At least then there would have been some reason for her get up. I don't think she needed to dress on theme for the evening.

Melissa looked miserable tonight. I don't know what she injured, but she could very well be on her way out this week.

I did like Chelsie and Roshon's dance. I thought they did well for themselves. Even they weren't great. Nothing really stood out for me tonight. None of the dances were really sharp.

On to next week!

The XZFactor

The XZFactor

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, movies, writing

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

I always hate paso and tango danced to these rock songs. It sucks.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with rock week before but I hated almost all the pasos and tangos performed tonight. The music just didn't work for those dances at all tonight. If they want to do rock week, fine, but nopasos and tangos.

William looked completely lost during his jive and seemed to just stand around a lot. When he did kick and jump around, his footwork was weak. How the hell could the judges give him 7s and an 8 and only give Gladys a 6 when she didn't totally lose the plot the way William did? Len, you crusty old fart.

I did think it was a bit unfair of Len to give Gladys a six, for a dance with no mistakes and then turn around and give William's hot mess of a performance an 8. But as much as I was hoping for some 6's, I knew the lowest that he would get would be 7's. But then Bruno whips out an "8." I actually screamed out "horseshit" and got a very odd look from my boyfriend. Stop voting with your cock, Bruno! That was ridiculous.

I thought, compared to the other pasos, Donald's was ok. But I definitely don't think he was robbed. Nines were appropriate.

TraceyH

TraceyH

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

I usually like Rock Night but tonight I just wasn't feeling it. The performances and the judging were all over the place. I still think Katherine is the best and was underscored tonight but I don't think she will be in jeopardy.It's amazing how much I'm liking her partnership with Mark whom I don't normally like.

I'm a little confused about how the judges are scoring Gladys. It's almost like they're being deliberately mean. I mean, any other celebrity of her age on the show got scored on their own scale. The woman's 67 for goodness sakes. Give her a little credit. Normally I don't like it when the judges pull out the kid gloves on the older celebs but maybe they could be a little nicer. Maybe Gladys is running away with the popular vote. I don't know.

I like Gavin but he's not a great dancer and I don't see him sticking around much longer. Sherri doesn't bother me as much as she does others -- in fact she makes me laugh -- but she is not good. Jaleel leaves me cold, Melissa and Maria can go home any time now -- and maybe it's for the best in Maria's case, she does not need to risk her health for a stupid show, William is okay but I don't see the appeal and Donald is growing on me, still don't like Roshown -- he bugs.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Have they mentioned how much time William is putting into rehearsals? I know he started late. Has he up'd his practice time now to compensate? Usually Len doesn't emphasize big mistakes (like whatever that non-whirly-gig thing was tonight) unless he thinks the Star could be better but isn't putting in enough work.

I thought, compared to the other pasos, Donald's was ok. But I definitely don't think he was robbed. Nines were appropriate.

While I agree, we've already seen 10's this season for dancers that were at the same level.

Inconsistency seems to be the order of the day. At least the 11's only showed up for Kiss - I was worried for awhile.