4-17: "Everything In Its Right Place" 2012.04.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

143 replies to this topic

oconnellaboo

oconnellaboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

I enjoyed the episode, but while watching it, I realized I really hadn't missed seeing the other universe at all. It was nice to, but I would prefer to see more fallout from Olivia's recovery of her Blue memories and why exactly Walter seems to have come to terms with Peter being in his life. I missed my guys. There, I've said it.

I also think that Amber Lincoln's been done a disservice in the last few episodes; I've enjoyed him this season, and I completely understand his sense of isolation, but I think they beat us over the head with it lately. It's kind of ironic to me that Lincoln might (still not sure about this, but it seems possible) envy Peter. After the hell Peter's been through, Lincoln actually envies him? Is it just because he "has" Olivia now? I just don't understand, and to be honest, I wish they'd just let us be happy for Peter and Olivia, instead of having their happiness be at the expense of another character - because I haven't become emotionally invested enough in him to really feel that.

I did like the idea that the two Lincolns' paths diverged because one chose his way in life. Amber Lincoln does seem to have always been a passive kind of guy, and Red Lincoln quite aggressive (and arrogant). Very interesting idea, and one that comes up on the show quite a bit; I love how they find new ways of exploring it.

AltLivia was an absolute hoot in this ep, although I kind of wish - after AltLinc going on about how "tough" she is, and how she never cries - we could have seen a bit of tears from her at the end. I definitely got the sense of loss from her, but I wanted a bit more from Anna there. Still, very nice.

I wonder after this episode - is a possible lesson from last night that everyone is replaceable? AltLincoln had just died, and I just feel that Amber Lincoln is stepping into his place just a bit too quickly.

All that said, I loved seeing Meana in her Louise Brooks/Pandora's Box fabulousness, and Gene in an FBI jacket and hat on her way to a walk and graze, was just marvelous.

I also thought Anna Torv was perfect. Speaking of Linc "not belonging", that opening scene where Olivia clearly remembered almost nothing about Lincoln? And Linc realised that all those emotional moments he had shared with her are now totally forgotten? Everything he had confided in her, about his partner and his loneliness and how he has no family, all those moments, gone? That was heartbreaking and Olivia's reactions to him spoke volumes. She felt terrible for him but on a detached level, like "omg poor guy, it's sad that I have totally forgotten who he is", it didn't resonate with her truly because she barely knows who Lincoln is now. I thought Anna just did a great job with that, showing a small wistfulness at what she may have forgotten but not trully regretting it.

THIS. That was a totally spot on moment for Anna - she showed us so much in that one tiny scene.

Boundary

Boundary

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

This is treasonous but I'll say it: I enjoy the red universe so much I wouldn't mind seeing the show settle Over There. I just think, long term, their story has more legs: Jones the antagonist with Broyles as his spy and Nina as the delicious number 2; whilst their world is healing, their feelings towards ours is still complicated to say the least. The show Over Here, in my view, is being hampered by the P/O love storyline, which is now front and centre and is now the core of the myth arc. So while I appreciate aspects of it, I actually found myself free to enjoy Fringe during this episode much like I used to a couple of seasons ago. If Fringe was highly successful, we would have probably seen the spin off Fringe: The Other Side already, albeit with other actors.

But I'm sad AltLinc is dead, I too hope he is undercover somewhere but that is probably in vain. AllBroyles is directly responsible for his death, I can't wait to see how AltLiv reacts to that. Given that Seth is now a regular, I can see how they could afford to kill off one of the Lincs and that killing off the red one will have more dramatic repercussions.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Dammit.

What are the odds that Red Lincoln isn't dead? Because if he his, they did the character a grave disservce killing him essentially offscreen just so they could throw Blue Lincoln at Fauxlivia.

Maybe Walternate knows about Alt Broyes, and he's working with Red Lincoln to bring him down. Or something. One can hope, right?

I actually like that we got to see Over There again, though. Redverse is fascinating to me, not only because they have cool tech and versions of our characters who are much more alive, but because this is a version of the United States where large portions of the continent have been rendered uninhabitable, and by all appearances there are parts of the country that have been knocked back into the third world, and there's an overt military agency with precedence over the local police running around that at times that may need to sign the death warrants of hundreds or thousands of individuals at any given time in order to preserve the greater good (and, by the way, this military organization isn't cackling and evil but full of genuinely good people with good intentions), but at the same time life is so normal. Society adapts and moves on. We humans are resilient, heh.

If settling Over There means we'd get to explore more of that, that'd be pretty neat, IMO.

Donnatela

Donnatela

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

I've been of the opinion that a Lincoln was going to die before the end of the season for a while now, however having finally seen the episode, I am just not buying alt Lincoln's death at all. Maybe it's denial but the whole thing just seemed weird to me - especially when practically the last thing he said was to ask who knew? I'm going with the deep undercover idea too.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

One neat thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is how their side refers to the Blue/amber verse as "over there" just as blue/amber refers to their. Perfectly logical but I still thought it was a nice touch. Who knows, it could be the red universe that survives with our core group as refugees. There is no guarantee things will turn out well for the Blueverse.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

I'll say this: although I've never been very fond of either version of Lincoln lee, Seth Gable does have the acting chops to be up there with Anna, John and Josh. He really did impress me last night.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

I heart your post, Princess Lucky, about the emotional beats etc. Now I'm going to have to rewatch it. ;)
Plus, I missed Gene's hat and boots.

They paralleled Lincoln with Peter quite explicitly, even down to nomadic wandering,
I guess this scenario is better than Peter having to return to redverse to restore balance.

So one could say that the Lincolns are sort of the Passover/Easter sacrifical lamb, taking the place of The One True Peter.
With Batman effectively dead in Redverse, perhaps Lincoln will fill that role as he achieves self-actualization, which seems to be the destiny of Redverse Lincolns.

I've been of the opinion that a Lincoln was going to die before the end of the season for a while now, however having finally seen the episode, I am just not buying alt Lincoln's death at all. Maybe it's denial but the whole thing just seemed weird to me -

It just occured to me that maybe he's now a shapeshifter. Gack.

Edited to admit that Gack is also the sound one would make when getting the prong thing stuck in the roof of one's mouth and getting one's life sucked out.
Editing again because links have to be redone when you edit. Note to TVWoP techie PTB: Bug alert.

Edited by shapeshifter, Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:12 PM.

calguy2009

calguy2009

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

The show Over Here, in my view, is being hampered by the P/O love storyline, which is now front and centre and is now the core of the myth arc.

You got to but things in perspective. The Peter/Olivia arc has been prominent from episodes 12 to 15 with a little bit in 16. You also got the Lincoln "losing his place" arc which has gone started from episode 13 on.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

I dunno I thought that Lincoln was thinking about RedLincoln when he was talking to the shapeshifter. We were having conversations about it the whole episode. Why AltLincoln was so different from OurLincoln if their lives were essentially the same. He chose to be stronger, faster, greater and it worked out for him. OurLincoln hadn't made that choice. I also think that RedLincoln made that choice before he met AltLiv. I just don't see OurLincoln being on AltLiv's level if he was a passive as eh is now.

I think the title means that RedLincoln is indeed dead. Everything in its right place, maybe Lincoln was always meant to got to the other universe and find a home there. I always got the sense that we were never supposed to feel comfortable with Lincoln in Amberverse. He always felt like he didn't belong and it showed in everything. I sometimes think that he didn't want to. Last episode for instance when Peter, Liv, and Astrid were having fun with mythology, it never seem to occur to him that he would be welcomed in their new family or he kind of made up his mind that they didn't want him to join them.

I've seen no conflict of interest in AltBroyles. If anything he seems in deeper than he was before the amberverse. Do we know if his wife and son are still with him?

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Funny thing is, I never saw Lincoln as that passive. His verbal style is more hesitant, but when he gets the bit between his teeth (as in 4x01 when he tracked down Liv) he will get things done. Now, he's been open about how Fringe Division is freaking him out, and he's lost the one connection he was banking on, but I think he's had a more confident and aggressive side all along. (There may be an analogy to how beaten down Olivia was in S1-2 by the repeated shocks of John's death, fringieness, Cortexiphan and shooting Charlie-the-shapeshifter.)

Edited by jophan, Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:59 PM.

ScarletRegina

ScarletRegina

Channel Surfer

• Interests:This twitter addict can be found @scarletregina

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

I was under the impression that the only thing that separated the Lincolns was that Alt Lincoln had a version of Olivia in his young career, while the other had not. Just me, but that's what I thought they were trying to get at with that conversation.

This is exactly what I thought, as well. Of course, as it's been pointed out, living in world that is crumbling around you would certainly alter your personality but I think it is the presence of Faux that brought out Lincoln's ummmm... swagger. (I can't believe I just used that term). This show has always made it clear that Olivia is special and she is one of those 'light' kind of people. Of course, Ourlivia has had a difficult and traumatic life but there is still something about her that radiates and there is no doubt that Faux is magnetic.

mascan42

mascan42

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

It seems fairly obvious to me that AltLincoln isn't really dead. He specifically reminds us that he previously survived being half blown up back in season 2. And then he immediately dies off-screen? Until I see a body (and maybe even after that, considering this show), I'm calling bullshit.

etagloh

etagloh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

This is exactly what I thought, as well. Of course, as it's been pointed out, living in world that is crumbling around you would certainly alter your personality but I think it is the presence of Faux that brought out Lincoln's ummmm... swagger.

Me three on this: the implication seemed to be that if you rule out the early stuff, then the significant difference comes later, and Bolivia's walking-like-a-cowgirl presence in AltLinc's life is the big significant difference.

Boundary

Boundary

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

The show Over Here, in my view, is being hampered by the P/O love storyline, which is now front and centre and is now the core of the myth arc

You got to but things in perspective. The Peter/Olivia arc has been prominent from episodes 12 to 15 with a little bit in 16. You also got the Lincoln "losing his place" arc which has gone started from episode 13 on.

Peter re-existed because of Olivia's pull and since then their love has been used to explain a lot of the goings on. I'm not saying the stories are bad or that it's not a good idea to use the 6B concept on P/O, it's just that I feel like there are more pillars of the story that have been let go as a result. The Nina/Belly/Walter triumvirate has had to be reconfigured, the cortexikids and their effect on Walter/Olivia has been relegated to the background, etc. I'm trying to think 2 or 3 seasons down the line (wildly optimistic) and I believe the blue verse story is winding down (which is realistic, given the ratings) but the red story still has way more to go. That was what triggered my observation, not that I was putting down the season so far. On the contrary, I have enjoyed it.

Edited by Boundary, Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:00 PM.

Harriet 12 3

Harriet 12 3

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

I thought when we didn't see the scene, when it moved on, that Lincoln had lived. As we now know not that case. Was annoyed first that there wasn't an actual death scene but considering that's how (unexpected) death actually works and that that was how it happened for Olivia I quite like it now.

After all the Olivia and Peter mushiness of late (even if I do ship them) I am soooo not in the mood for more romance but if there has to be some then I'm happy it's Fauxlivia and Lincoln.

I know some people are annoyed the writers don't even seem to want to try make a team with Lincoln and Peter work I personally can't picture it, longterm, working so I don't mind him moving universe. Anyway, Faxulivia isn't right without some sort of Lincoln even if Alt Lincoln was a hell of a lot hotter. :P

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

and I believe the blue verse story is winding down (which is realistic, given the ratings) but the red story still has way more to go.

Well, the story was never about the RedVerse. If the BlueVerse is winding down, that's because the story is almost over.

Ageha

Ageha

Couch Potato

• Interests:Favorite shows (current): Fringe, Parkrs &amp; Recreation, Community, Haven, Downton Abbey, The League, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Castle, Modern Family, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Survivor, Psych, Warehouse 13, The Amazing Race, Leverage, Project Runway<br /><br />Favorite shows (past): The West Wing. Farscape, Friday Night Lights, Pushing Daisies, Life on Mars (UK &amp; US), Men in Trees, Life, etc.

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

oconnell

I enjoyed the episode, but while watching it, I realized I really hadn't missed seeing the other universe at all. It was nice to, but I would prefer to see more fallout from Olivia's recovery of her Blue memories and why exactly Walter seems to have come to terms with Peter being in his life. I missed my guys. There, I've said it

Same here. Enjoyed the episode, but at the back of my mind I kept hoping we were going to get to see any of them at the end of the episode, so I was pretty happy to see Peter and Walter before time was up. To me, the Redverse is interesting to a point, but I'm fidgety when we're away from the "family" for too long. They're the reason I love this show, so they're who I want to see.

Boundary

This is treasonous but I'll say it: I enjoy the red universe so much I wouldn't mind seeing the show settle Over There......If Fringe was highly successful, we would have probably seen the spin off Fringe: The Other Side already, albeit with other actors.

Do you imagine it without Peter/Walter/Olivia/Astrid? That is, just the other universe? For me, the other universe part is interesting because we have our universe to contrast it. Not saying it couldn't hold its own, but I think that comparison is important and is what makes the other universe compelling. In the end, though, I can't really get behind this, simply because I could stay with our universe for years.

Edited by Ageha, Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:24 PM.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

There are so many possible "worlds" to spin off on this show, it isn't funny. I think one of the most astonishing things the showrunners have done, is create a core mythology so detailed that it can be expanded in many directions, and they lovingly insist on following every direction all in good time (whatever time remains). I found many of last season's Over There episodes to be kind of dull - but this one worked for me, mainly because of Lincoln (I like Seth Gabel and like the character).

There really is no way to "finish" what the showrunners have started, because the world is expansive. This is not a "solve the mystery" show, it's not about uncovering a Big Central Secret. It's about an ever expanding (and occasionally contracting - sorry, AltLinc) cast of characters who both uncover mysteries and fall into scrapes. So some stories end and others bubble up. I'm of the opinion that the Walter-Peter story, much as I have loved it, has reached a natural endpoint, and did so last season; this season is just a little twist to it because of Peter's removal from reality. They do not need to show us Walter and Peter rebonding because we've already seen them bond once. (The hug last week was cathartic but was enough) But the Bishop family saga doesn't have to be over; not only can we expect additions to the family (maybe Henry will find his way back to reality) but we also don't know the Bishop family's origin story - that was only hinted at in Season 2. I would love to find out more about Robert Bishop and Belly's grandfather and all that. Also, we've found out more about who the Observers are but now we're getting the faintest sense of their world and their society and that opens a whole new can of worms.

The Alt-U is never going to be the biggest part of the show but it is a permanent part of the Fringeverse and I was quite glad to get back there this week. The writers are doing a typically fine job of telling a seasonlong story and using the episodes to tell different aspects of the story. This show is a keeper, no matter how long it lasts, I am sure people will be discovering it and appreciating the narrative years from now. It is very finely crafted storytelling.

That's why I personally don't feel there needs to be any sort of "wrap up" at all. Why can't we just have more adventures? Although many questions have been answered and a few relationships have changed forever (like Walter and Peter's meaning, it changed from bad in S1 to reconciled in S3) and some beats have been naturally played out, there is absolutely no need for any "final" ending, whenever that comes. There is still a hugely expansive stage for these characters (and ones we haven't met yet) to play on.

Edited by Money Magnet, Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:00 PM.

RandomMe

RandomMe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

I hate that AltLincoln had to go because, narratively speaking, I think BlueLincoln exists mainly (if not solely) due to RedLincoln's awesomeness. But that ending scene really made up for that; it was beautiful. Kudos to whoever reminded me that that first scene with Olivia and Lincoln and that final scene are done by the same actors. :-) I love the depth of the talent on this show.
I can get behind Peter and Lincoln essentially trading places as part of their universes staying in balance -- I think the only thing that concerns me at this point is the slight weirdness of BlueLincoln and RedOlivia being together basically because they miss the versions of each other that are dead to them. (Or maybe I'm overdramatizing it a little. :-) )

jloub

jloub

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I can get behind Peter and Lincoln essentially trading places as part of their universes staying in balance -- I think the only thing that concerns me at this point is the slight weirdness of BlueLincoln and RedOlivia being together basically because they miss the versions of each other that are dead to them. (Or maybe I'm overdramatizing it a little. :-) )

While I don't think AltOlivia and OurLincoln being together (working together at this point) is solely for that reason, I do think that it is comforting to both of them at present.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

Wow, BlueLincoln seems so obviously in love with Fauxlivia. And Fauxlivia's kind of adorable. I approve of that ship.

I really like the Red Universe, but I missed the Bishop boys. I would have enjoyed watching them on Grazing Day (poor Lincoln for feeling left out).

URFloorMatt

URFloorMatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

A decent episode. With all the anvils they've been hitting us with regarding Lincoln, I'm wondering if Red Lincoln won't somehow reappear as an ally to Jones, forcing Amber Lincoln to confront his better half. Of course, that would be a bit of a retread of Olivia in Season 3, but it seems most of the stuff this season with Lincoln has been clunky, particularly since Peter's return.

With Red Lincoln dead, Scarlie's absence sure is conspicuous.

clareana

clareana

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

So was that ACT UP sticker they shoved in our faces some kind of last minute character development for alt-Lincoln, or did I miss something from an earlier episode? Because I'd always thought they meant to imply that he had a crush on alt-Olivia.

I mean, in real life, someone having such a sticker in their locker would not make me assume anything about their sexuality, but when associated with a tv character, considering that the writers could have chosen from thousands of organizations not so strongly identified with the LGBT community, it seemed like they were using it as shorthand.

Edited by clareana, Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:56 AM.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

I thought the sticker was just an ambiguous little shout-out to those who speculated on AltLinc's sexuality (hey, maybe he was bi) and/or the show's many gay fans and cast/crew.

lizw65

lizw65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

Well, I didn't even notice it after two viewings. I 'll have to go back and watch that scene at the locker again. It was pretty clear in the OT that Alt-Linc was in love with Alt-Liv, and I don't see how Peter's absence from the timeline could change someone's sexual orientation, so maybe it was just a cause he supported, or, as suggested upthread, he was bisexual all along.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

I heart your post, Princess Lucky, about the emotional beats etc. Now I'm going to have to rewatch it. ;)

Thank you shapeshifter (whoa, that looks weird, heh).

I've been thinking about the possibility that Alt!Linc is still alive, but I don't think there's time for that reveal. The shapeshifters/DRJ story will likely wrap up this season, and we also haven't sorted out Olivia's memories and Walter and "Olivia is going to die" and "Mr. X" etc etc. And next week is episode 18. I don't know. But the truth is that Fringe is a genre show and especially on genre shows the rule "they're not dead until you see a body" applies practically 100%. I do still think, however, that maybe this was done to keep the focus on Our Lincoln, and see the effects of Alt!Linc's death/loss specifically as Faux and Our Lincoln experienced it. Hell, Lincoln may even be thinking "this cocky badass who used to run Fringe Division is dead and I, the meek lame non-entity, am still alive?". So this is his wake-up call, his incentive to step it up (especially after Alt!Linc told him the same thing).

It would be fun if by the end of the season the bridge is somehow closed, and the universes split for good but healthy, with Our Linc permanently Over There.

While I don't think AltOlivia and OurLincoln being together (working together at this point) is solely for that reason, I do think that it is comforting to both of them at present.

I agree that it must be comforting. To be honest it's problematic as a notion for me as well, but at the same time I think the characters are different enough (both the Olivias and the Lincolns) that it may not be that messed up in reality. The last scene was clever; Faux actually admired/was grateful to Our Linc for something he did, for sticking around, for wanting to help, not because he's a Lincoln. And Our Linc showed that he wanted to support Faux, not because he wanted an Olivia of his own but because he knew that she would need help, as would the entire Red verse without Tyrone to run everything. "Comforting" is a good way of putting it. That, along with the flirting we've seen, and the fact their personalities fit in a cute way, makes me feel better about the pairing.

I have to say, Our Linc's flirting with Faux and his flirting with Olivia are totally different. With Amber Olivia it was all so muted and sad, there was a more serious connection (due to their circumstances, with the dead partners and the void in their lives), it was all sweet but awkward. With Faux it's been playful and sassy and fun, Linc seems more daring and outgoing with her. And yet in the end we also got a more emotional, open moment for the both of them and they were on the same page.

It's so strange to see such different chemistry between the same two actors, with Anna Torv setting the pace with her two distinct Olivias and Seth Gabel reacting to each of them so differently. The scene in the car when Faux was like "talk to my car, don't be shy" and Linc was adorably like "...YES"? And they were both giggling? Compared to the early season's doomed Linc/Olivia interactions? Great stuff. And Fauxlivia's smile is pretty infectious, I only realised because I don't think we've seen Our Linc smile that much all season, all I could see throughout the episode were cute dimples.

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

I have to say, Our Linc's flirting with Faux and his flirting with Olivia are totally different. With Amber Olivia it was all so muted and sad, there was a more serious connection (due to their circumstances, with the dead partners and the void in their lives), it was all sweet but awkward. With Faux it's been playful and sassy and fun, Linc seems more daring and outgoing with her. And yet in the end we also got a more emotional, open moment for the both of them and they were on the same page.

Well, both Our Linc and Olivia are serious people. It's possible he needs an outgoing gal like Fauxlivia to get in tough with his playful side. Like Fauxlivia, being a badass herself, liking sweet, nice guys more than fellow badasses like RedLinc.

On that note, RIP Captain Lincoln Lee. Your counterpart is adorkable and lovable, but you'll be missed. (I for one would have loved to see his reaction to his longstanding crush getting flirty with his nerdy counterpart.)

What I loved most about this episode were the Linc/Alt-Lee/Fauxlivia conversations. Linc and Alt-Lee trying to figure out were their paths diverged and their respective personalities came from (nature? nurture? Apparently in this case they are the same, and yet the resulting people are very different). The Batman/Mantis convo was also great.
I think I loved those moments because they felt very real to me, like in those circumstances - a parallel world! a different yourself! - those wpould be conversations people would have: spot the difference and the likeness. I would instantly want to know what books, movies and comics they had, if they were like ours or not. Maybe in the future they could set up an interdimansional commerce.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

There were two photos prominently featured in AltLinc's locker - a friendly one of him with Bolivia, and a friendly one of his with a man. Combined with the ACT-UP sticker, I think we might fill in the blanks that he was bi.

Indi

Indi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

He also had a prominently featured one with a dog. Just saying.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

He also had a prominently featured one with a dog. Just saying.

Ahahahahaha. The implications.

I was going through the Lincoln tag on tumblr (don't judge me) and all the pics/gifs of Alt!Linc from season 3 made me realise that this season doesn't have much of an emotional impact for me. If Alt!Linc had died last season, (after that awesome "I love you" to Faux) I would have sobbed, now I just teared up and that was 100% due to the performances, not the actual event (which was offscreen, but still). I was reminded of last season's finale, with Future Olivia dying. I watched that and I was like "whatever", zero emotional impact, because that wasn't the Olivia I knew, she had had all these years of experiences that I had not seen and I felt disconnected, only Josh's performance resonated. I feel the same about Alt!Linc.

And Amber Olivia is another example of this disconnect, for me. The entire first half of the season starred "another" Olivia and I kept missing the "real" Olivia, and now that she's half-back she's still not fully herself and I can't connect with her as I used to, not yet. Alt!Broyles as well, I found the original Alt!Broyles a fascinating character and his death had a huge impact for me, but this Evil Broyles is just there (and the fact we're not even sure if he is a shapeshifter or not doesn't help). And Fauxlivia also lost a lot of emotional depth because she never went through her pregnancy or her entanglement with Peter.

Walter and Our Lincoln fare better, but not by much. The new Walter has had some fantastic moments, but the "old" Walter had such emotional baggage from what he did, raising another Peter, that you can't match that emotional conflict with any other situation in my opinion. And Lincoln is very relatable emotionally but we have nothing to compare that against, I adore him but he's so new, he has no history as a character.

Peter is the only one who truly resonates for me still, probably because he's the only one who is still himself and who has lived (and still remembers) all of the Peter experiences we have seen (sure, Olivia has regained her memories from seasons 1-3 but she has lost all the memories from this very season we're watching, season 4, so there's something missing for me). As a viewer, I am right where Peter is and I feel for him. The others, not so much.

It's strange how a season that's all about emotion has made me feel so emotionally disconnected from so many characters.