DC Nation

• Please log in to reply

98 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

The war between DC Comics and Marvel Comics has been fought on many fronts. On the big screen, Marvel totally owns DC . . . you take away the Batman flicks, it's a slaughter. Both sides are lining up live action series for this fall . . . and hopefully without the same level of drudgery as Smallville. And naturally, both sides have animated series; Disney XD for Marvel, Cartoon Network for DC. In DC's case, they've added something extra: "DC Nation."

Here's how "DC Nation" works: currently, CN airs the company's two series -- Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice -- on Saturdays in the 10-11 a.m. block on Saturdays. During some of the commercial breaks, CN runs minute-long bits. The challenge: putting up a fun story in sixty seconds . . . or in a few cases, showing how characters' trademark weapons (Batman's Batarangs, Green Arrow's boxing glove arrows) would work in the real world. These mini-episodes showcase a wide array of creators working . . . including Aardman Animation. Ever see the Creature Comfort shorts, with real-life audio put into goofy animal stop-motion animation? Same deal, only with kids paired with DC superheroes and villains.

Even if you're not into either of DC's main series, most of the shorts are fun enough to tune in anyway . . . or at least look up online. Goofy Japanese-style series where a dying Superman bequeeths his amazing powers to a baby? Check. Plastic Man shorts in the vein of his appearances in Batman: The Brave And The Bold? Check. Three of DC's top teen heroines -- Wonder Girl, Supergirl, Batgirl -- cast as "Super Best Friends Forever"? Check . . . and here's the first episode, featuring Wonder Woman's invisible jet. And if that's not fun enough, the cast of Teen Titans -- the funky hit of the mid-2000s -- has returned in "New Teen Titans," where the gang has been chibi-fied to fit the new format.

I figure that this thread could cover the tiny toons that DC is putting out. This weekend brings the SBFFs and the animated debut of Animal Man. Judging by this clip, I don't think we'll be seeing any of Grant Morrison's recreation of the character, or the stuff that Jeff Lemire has introduced that's made Buddy Baker a best-selling character.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

Love just about all of the DC shorts.

the cast of Teen Titans -- the funky hit of the mid-2000s -- has returned in "New Teen Titans,"

Funny as always.
Really hoping that the Black Lightning (and his daughters) short is funny.
This is a lot better than the "Marvel Mash Up", which Marvel is doing in betwen "Ultimate Spider-Man" and "Avengers".

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

I kinda like "Marvel Mash Up." I figure any and all Marvel shows from the Sixties through the Fox years can be subject to send-ups.

Nice twofer today. The Super Best Friends Forever were cute . . . nice that Wonder Girl actually sounds Greek. Today's installment wasn't as funny as Batgirl and Supergirl begging to borrow the Invisible Jet, but seeing Batgirl try to make a raid was cute. Ditto with the mostly-silent Animal Man. I'm hoping that a mainstream show (probably Young Justice) can display how Buddy Baker is unique as a full-time husband and father. Until then, I can live with him giving Captain Cold the evil eye while slithering away, or doing a kickass gopher impression.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:45 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

Just checking to see who else is watching. Good twofer today . . . first, we had a Looney Tunes-style "character at the mercy of screen" bit with Plastic Man. Then there's Mad Mod -- one of the funkier nemeses from Teen Titans -- reversing time with something like vaguely looked like a TARDIS. Main side effect? Giving the Titans old-school looks from canon, like mullets for Robin and Beast Boy, and Starfire's trademark long hair from George Perez back in the day. Oh, and there's a brief appearance of Robin the Toy Wonder from the 853rd Century.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:50 AM

I like some of the shorts. The Superman baby in Tokyo thing is adorable! I think his mom is supposed to be like Lois Lane (she was a reporter in that clip, right?) and I love the snarky, deadpan babysitter. Super Best Friends Forever has the potential to be a decent full length show.

I'm really looking forward to Black Lightning and his daughters. I wonder when they're going to start airing that one, as it's been a few weeks since the interview with the creator was posted online.

Lantern7, I have a request...If you find the shorts online, can you post the links here? I rarely watch Young Justice as it airs (I don't watch Green Lantern at all), I don't have a DVR, and they don't include the shorts on demand. I end up looking all over the 'net to watch them, and I can't always tell what aired when...

On the comments in the OP-Marvel may beat out DC at the movies, but DC has been beating Marvel in animation since Batman: TAS (even though as a kid, I personally liked '90's Spider-Man better, it doesn't hold up well). Are both companies really developing live-action TV series? That sounds like a possible disaster! (can you post a link to the TV thing?) :P

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

Then there's Mad Mod -- one of the funkier nemeses from Teen Titans -- reversing time with something like vaguely looked like a TARDIS. Main side effect? Giving the Titans old-school looks from canon, like mullets for Robin and Beast Boy, and Starfire's trademark long hair from George Perez back in the day. Oh, and there's a brief appearance of Robin the Toy Wonder from the 853rd Century.

The cameo from Sari from Transformers Animated at the end was such a great touch.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

The Teen Titans back in time was hilarious!!! Scooby Doo gang for the 70's theme, that was genius, and then in the 90's the robots were sporting Power Ranger's costumes, LOL.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Brief clip from this week's installment of "Super Best Friends Forever."

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:30 PM.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

That's adorable!

i liked the Teen Titans Time clip, but it looked like the Titans defeated Doctor Who...hmmm, Now *that* would be an interesting crossover!

GrantsHistory

GrantsHistory

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

The Teen Titans back in time was hilarious!!! Scooby Doo gang for the 70's theme, that was genius, and then in the 90's the robots were sporting Power Ranger's costumes, LOL.

Yeah, it was pretty awesome. I think my favorite part was watching Starfire's stunned disbelief at her 80's outfit and hair (good Lord, the hair) from the comic books. That was hilarious.

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

The character design in the Animal Man shorts is giving me a bit of a Ty Templeton vibe, and I may be greatly mistaken, but it sounded to me like "Weird Al" Yankovic was voicing Animl Man.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Something kinda awesome about Animal Man bitching a random guy out, while Darkseid has friggin' wreaked havoc upon the Earth. I'm kinda hoping that the shorts get broadcast in the DCnU via Buddy's title . . . though given the morbid stuff going on there (critically-acclaimed morbid stuff from Jeff Lemire), I doubt that'll happen.

In case any of you will be unable to watch the DC block next week, here's a short from Mad. I recognized it during the credits this week. It's a must-see if you're a DC fanboy.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

So . . . Vibe today. Nostalgic look at a superhero made in the Eighties, or a grim reminder as to what happens when white writers try to diversify their universe? Can't believe the breakdance battle with Professor Ivo's VibeBot needed two minutes to resolve. I'm not mad, but I would've guessed Super Best Friends Forever (new "ep" airs next week) would get that honor.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

Checking in to see what fans think of the latest stuff: the first two parts of "Sword Of The Atom," an altered take on Ray Palmer encountering a tiny tribe in the Amazon (without him seeing some dude banging his nutty fiancee); the latest "Super Best Friends Forever" where Batgirl keeps pushing that name on the other heroines; and four quick vignettes of Cyborg as a lifeguard, which doesn't really work well for him.

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

I liked the lifeguard one. It fit in with the character and was fun.
I didn't like the recent claymation one with the kid voiceovers (hopping on one foot etc). No point to that.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

From what I understand, Young Justice is going on hiatus.GL: TAS is done with its first season. So . . . do I still have to look out for the DC Nation shorts? There's still a bunch out there, according to Wikipedia.

Good bit with Cyborg and Robin getting into a fight and using tape to separate their turf. Apparently, if you use tape on tape, the Earth explodes out of the paradox. Oh, and it turns out the Titans will be getting their own show again. I think it'll be in the vein of the shorts, as opposed to the action-packed original.

willowneko

willowneko

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

I think that there would be more shorts as even with GL in reruns they did the next installment of the Atom short with him in the pits going to be a gladiator. It also helps with ratings to do the shorts since people would turn in even in repeats.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

I believe that one of the express purposes of the shorts is to have new things to air even when the half-hour shows are in re-runs.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

Then the probably should have aired the shows slightly more out of phase to capitalize on the hiatuses. As it worked out Young Justice probably aired for 3 weeks longer than Green Lantern. That's not enought to justify watching reruns and 5 minutes of new DC nation shorts for 5 or 10 more weeks of shorts. I don't actually know how many they have left. Though, I would like a 30 minute show of half Teen Titans Go! and half Super Best Friends Forever.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

According to this, two new shorts should be up tomorrow morning. I'm setting my VCR up for the end of GL:TAS and the middle of Young Justice.

ETA: The Mad sketch with Batman on Family Feud was amusing . . . but damn, "Chinese Batman 1930" looks like it has legs . . . at least moreso than Sword of the Atom. Most of it involves a really hot Catwoman damaging the shit out of ninjas with a whip. Yes, I know ninjas (ninja) are a Japanese thing, but that's what they looked like. And this Catwoman was elegantly dressed, which is a surprise for the usual femme fatale.

Edited by Lantern7, Jul 14, 2012 @ 12:44 PM.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

DC Nation Shorts: New Trailer and Info

I like the look of the new stuff. Amethyst of Gemworld looks like an old school shojo magical girl anime, and it really caught my eye. I've been looking forward to Thunder and Lightning, about Black Lightning balancing being a superhero while raising two young (superpowered?) daughters, since they first announced it (which was the same time they announced Super BFFs!).

I don't know much about the Doom Patrol, except that the comic has a good reputation, so it should be good.

More fun: MAD Teen Titanic (featuring Teen Titan and Young Justice characters!)

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Doom Patrol ran parallel to X-Men way back in the day. You have a guy whose brain was taken out of a wrecked body and put in a mechanical chassis (Robotman), a test pilot exposed to radiation that can release a "negative man" of crackling energy, and an actress exposed to gases that allow her to grow and shrink at will (Elasti-Girl). They're gathered together by the wheelchair-bound Niles Caulder, known affectionately as "The Chief." While lots of people go for Grant Morrison's radical redefinition in the late Eighties (three words: Danny the Street), the old school stuff is a blast to read . . . and the series introduced Beast Boy before he joined the Teen Titans.

Thunder and Lightning are more recent additions to the DCU. Their father is Jefferson Pierce, best known as Black Lightning. Thunder was introduced in Judd Winick's run on Outsiders, with the ability to increase her mass. Lightning's look was conceived by Alex Ross for Kingdom Come, and Geoff Johns drafted her to become one of the next generation of the Justice Society of America.

I don't think shojo was the inspiration for Amethyst . . . but she's getting a new series soon, and DC might go in that direction with the book to go along with the cartoon.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Oh, that's where I know the Doom Patrol from-they guest starred on Teen Titans when Beast Boy was called to help out his old team! Negative Man was a riot!

The Amethyst shorts look really old school anime; that is to say, pre-moe :P It also looks like a really fun girly adventure series. I'm not sure what the deal of the guy who turns from a skeleton into a prince is, but I can't wait to find out!

So, Thunder and Lightning are superheroes in their own right, and Black Lightning is their dad? Is he a single father? Poor guy has a lot on his hands!

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:23 AM

In case any of you will be unable to watch the DC block next week, here's a short from Mad. I recognized it during the credits this week. It's a must-see if you're a DC fanboy.

That is gold. Solid gold.

The best part? The four Flashes dancing in a row!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

CN's DC Nation block returns on Saturday at 10 a.m., complete with the shorts. Check out the Super Best Friends Forever take on Solomon Grundy.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

I found a great site for all your DC Nation needs! Not only does it host promo clips and images of upcoming Green Lantern and Young Justice episodes, but it has a comics sections (which includes free digital sample issues of DCAU spin off comics!) and I'm pretty sure it hosts all the DC Nation shorts-free, legal, non-mirrored. DC Nation Official Site

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

New Teen Titans: The gang try to disuade viewers from exposing themselves to gamma rays, unlike a certain other comic book company. They fail. Starfire keeps saying "super powders" and cursing in her native tongue. Cyborg tries science-based standup. Beast Boy freezes and turns into a deer.

SBFFs: Apparently, Wonder Girl thinks "Sbffs" can be a word, which makes Supergirl facepalm. They try to battle Solomon Grundy, who doesn't fight girls . . . not even when they mock his undead status. Liked how they were being dragged, holding onto his leg, telling him that they'd almost let him win. I will be shocked if "Super Best Friends Forever" isn't the next DCN property to spin off into its own series, or at least getting the spotlight in the next Teen Titans series.

Edited by Lantern7, Sep 29, 2012 @ 2:25 PM.

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

"Solomon Grundy reconsidering fighting girls." To quote Ted and Mike from days gone by: BWAH-HA-HA-HAHA-HA!

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

I found a great site for all your DC Nation needs! it hosts all the DC Nation shorts-free, legal, non-mirrored. DC Nation Official Site

InternalParadox, thanks so much! Unfortunately, that site is not up-to-date with the DC Nation shorts, but hopefully they'll have the new ones up soon. I have been going through withdrawal ever since Cartoon Network switched to a Copy-Restricted format, stopping me from recording my beloved SBFF shorts. The Solomon Grundy short yesterday was as hilarious as always -- please, Cartoon Network, give the SBFF's their own half-hour series! (And some kickass action figures, stat.)

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Cartoon Network pulls DC Nation block, says it'll return in January. Reasons? Anybody?!?

The worst part is that Amethyst, Thunder & Lightning and Justa Lotta Animals are in the pipeline, and now we might have to wait three months. I don't get it.