Titanic in 3D

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

108 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

I think every commercial that doesn't begin with Bill Paxton saying, "Are you ready to go back to Titanic?" is a mistake. The line is right there in the movie!

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

Hate to be a stick in the mud, but why did they have to rerelease it in 3D? Doesn't it seem kind of disrespectful. I know it happened 100 years ago, but come on, who wants to see those frozen corpses floating in 3D? Couldn't they have just relreased it?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

Yes, but they wouldn't be able to overcharge us. :)

Seriously, re-releasing things in 3-D is the "in" thing now; Lord Cameron would be remiss not to do it this way. And I don't mind. I was a total Titanic-holic back in '98, saw it in the theater more times than I care to admit. I'm very excited to see it again this weekend; I have never, ever cared to see a movie in 3-D before (I didn't even see Avatar until it was on DVD), but for this, I will fork over the 15 bucks -- just because I loved the movie so much, not because 3-D is ever entirely necessary.

Edited by Chicken Wing, Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:03 AM.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Over 10 years later and I'm still pissed that Rose didn't scoot her butt over a few inches on the floating piece of debris she was on to make room for Jack so he could live, so I won't be seeing it in 3D.

A male friend of mine said he would go see it for sure if Kate Winslet's boobs were in 3D.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Maybe the driftwood couldn't hold both of them.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

How would they have known that until the tried, though? If it started to sink then he could have gotten back off.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

If I recall correctly -- and I should because I've seen the movie way too many damn times -- they were both trying to get on at first and it started to turn over after Jack started to get on. Of course, it might have worked if they had held the door a little more level before Jack tried to get on because they were pulling on it more than anything, but whatever. Logic, shmogic.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

I wasn't really a huge fan of this movie back in the day. I thought the writing was lame and so much of it just too silly and on-the-nose. (Bill Paxton wears a hoop earring! Because he's just like a modern-day pirate! Get it? GET IT?!?) But surprisingly, the commercials have made me more nostalic to see it again than I would have expected. Not too excited to pay the 3D price, but it might be fun to see it again.

Though I will probably snicker more than a few times. "I'll never let go Jack! I'll never let go!" [/lets go]

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

I saw it last night, and loved it. I thought it made a good 3D movie, thanks to the amazing special effects and the little details that pop out of every scene. I recommend going if you can, because it looks pretty damn cool.

There is one thing that always gnaws at me, though: Rose boards the Titanic as Rose DeWitt Bukater, and leaves the Carpathia as Rose Dawson. Out of all the historians who have studied the crap out of the Titanic and ALL of its passengers/crew members, how is it possible that not one of them said, "Hey, where did this Rose Dawson chick come from? It's like she appeared out of nowhere and hey, she happens to be the same age as Rose DeWitt Bukater, whose body was never recovered! Maybe the two are linked?"

I know, I know, 'suspension of disbelief' and all that.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Over 10 years later and I'm still pissed that Rose didn't scoot her butt over a few inches on the floating piece of debris she was on to make room for Jack so he could live, so I won't be seeing it in 3D.

Also, as someone who wrote to Roger Ebert had pointed out, if Rose hadn't jumped back on the ship from the lifeboat, Jack could have used the driftwood all by himself!

I personally think the 3D is redundant, because no matter what you think of the movie James Cameron put you on that boat for most of the movie. At least it felt like that way to me when I saw it in '97.

Watching Comedy Central over the years, I noticed that movie provided material for a lot of standup comedians. So many people saw it that you could just make references to it and people would know what you were talking about. Bruce Almighty isn't a great film but this part made me laugh. Also ironic because Jim Carrey would star with Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind after.

The old couple(Isidor and Ida Straus, owners of Macy's) still makes me tear up a little.

Edited by Limbonaut, Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:40 PM.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Also, as someone who wrote to Roger Ebert had pointed out, if Rose hadn't jumped back on the ship from the lifeboat, Jack could have used the driftwood all by himself!

Heh. But wait...didn't Rose rescue Jack, who was handcuffed in some room below deck - accused of stealing some jewelry or something? Thus, he would have died by drowning? Or did that happen after Rose dramatically jumped back on the ship?

As others have mentioned, they both tried to climb on the makeshift raft, but it sank. I suppose they could have taken turns, but you know...chivalry? Also, was that the only piece of material available to float on? Didn't seem like Jack bothered to try and search. Guess he couldn't swim a few feet in either direction to look?

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Seeing as how it's difficult to swim in freezing water with more than 2,000 people surrounding you, also looking for something to grab onto, I give Jack a pass for not having the energy to search. It's one of those things that isn't as simple as it sounds.

Zanne

Zanne

Stalker

• Interests:I'm a female of the species - what species, I'll leave up to you. Just to clarify my name since it makes people think I'm a boy...it's not Zane like rain, but Zanne like fan.

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

My dad, a man who will watch 10 seconds of a whatever's on TV and say, "Is this a tape? Can I turn it?" and then immediately change the channel to a DIY show he's seen a million times, is a fan of Titanic. Forget things blowing up, cop movies, car chases, whatever. He took the entire family to see the original release TWICE, of his own volition. The last movie he went to see with me was Lady and the Tramp, the original release, at a drive-in theater. So this is serious business.

Guess what my mom informed me we'll all be seeing this month? I know the 3D aspect will drive him insane ("What do you mean I have to wear these glasses to watch the movie? I've got some glasses in my pocket!"), so it might be amusing to watch.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

My mother who's from the Phillipines never goes out to the movie theater ever in this country but went one time with her friends to see Titanic in 1998!

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Seeing as how it's difficult to swim in freezing water with more than 2,000 people surrounding you, also looking for something to grab onto, I give Jack a pass for not having the energy to search. It's one of those things that isn't as simple as it sounds.

Yes people should remember the shock factor makes many people not think straight in this circumstances. All he could be thinking was on saving her and Rose probably was too busy getting slow hypothermia to think of a plan either, YMMV.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Another thing I remember from watching Titanic in 97 was when John Jacob Astor first appeared I heard some women in the audience gasping and later found out it's because the actor was from The Young and the Restless!

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Another thing I remember from watching Titanic in 97 was when John Jacob Astor first appeared I heard some women in the audience gasping and later found out it's because the actor was from The Young and the Restless!

Yes, I almost forgot about that! I distinctly remember the sound of several women whispering and murmuring "Oh, it's him!" or something of that nature when Eric Braeden appeared on the screen. Heh. His resemblance to the real John Jacob Astor is uncanny, though.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

Didn't they manage to swim through the same freezing water when the ship went under? What about when they were below deck after Rose rescued Jack? Didn't they have to swim underwater for a bit? Or was that after Rose jumped back on the boat, as Billy Zane chased after them? I'm solely going off of memory here, as I haven't seen the movie in years. I'm not seeing the difference - to me, I would assume adrenaline and will to survive would be the same in all instances. Just not sure why one scenario would be any less realistic or simple than another.

Anyway, the one thing I really remember from the movie is Kate's wardrobe. Loved it! Especially that blue dress. Lovely.

Peri

Peri

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Didn't they manage to swim through the same freezing water when the ship went under? What about when they were below deck after Rose rescued Jack? Didn't they have to swim underwater for a bit? Or was that after Rose jumped back on the boat, as Billy Zane chased after them? I'm solely going off of memory here, as I haven't seen the movie in years. I'm not seeing the difference - to me, I would assume adrenaline and will to survive would be the same in all instances. Just not sure why one scenario would be any less realistic or simple than another.

I think the point was that he was protecting her from someone who might push her off of the piece of driftwood. He had just saved her from being pushed under by a man who tried to use her as a life raft.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

I have coveted Rose's wardrobe since 1997. 15 years later, and I still want every damn dress in that movie, and the shoes.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

I really did not like the 3D in this movie at all. It gave me a headache and I was starting to feel queasy. I don't think it added anything to the movie--in fact, it distracted since I was spending the whole movie noticing the sharp/blurry differences in scenes. It was most pronounced in scenes with small groups of people.

Edited by bodielovesbetty, Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:46 PM.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

I think the point was that he was protecting her from someone who might push her off of the piece of driftwood.

That is a good point, one that I'd forgotten. But no, it wasn't the original point I was responding to.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

Maybe he was exhausted from all the running and swimming he and Rose were doing? They sure got a workout the last hour of the movie. Also they had the heat of whatever electricity was left on the ship and the body heat of everyone else, once the ship sank they were in nothing but freezing cold water. It makes sense they couldn't think clearly.

And yeah, Jack did try to get on the door with Rose but it started to topple over so he let her get on alone.

I saw it again last night for the first time in probably 10 years and I have to say it's actually improved with age. The story doesn't let up, doesn't let you get bored. And the finale is honestly thrilling even though everyone and their mom knows what happens. Hell, the movie even tells you basically up front that Jack dies and Rose lives (duh).

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:15 AM

I love the look that flashes on Jack's face once he sees that only Rose can fit on the door. It says, "I am going to die" in such a subtle, heartbreaking way. Great acting from DiCaprio.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

I love the look that flashes on Jack's face once he sees that only Rose can fit on the door. It says, "I am going to die" in such a subtle, heartbreaking way. Great acting from DiCaprio.

I love that part. He does this little nod, like he's accepting his fate.

I saw it in theater for the first time. I saw it in 3D, but kind of wish I'd watched it in 2D. Some part of the 3D just didn't work for me.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

I went to see it this weekend. I loved it, but I will admit the 3D didn't really add much for me. This is my first time seeing a movie in 3D -- exhorbitant ticket prices and an abundance of crappy movies prevent me to hitting the theaters very often -- so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. (My previous experience of seeing something in 3D was looking through the demo glasses in front of a 3D TV at Best Buy.) The 3D effect was obvious on smaller objects and little details, but it didn't do much for very large things -- such as, well, the ship. I barely noticed any difference there. The 3D was all out distracting in scenes where, say, there is someone or something in the foreground of the shot but not the object of focus -- the person/thing looked a little jarring and blurry, and I kept thinking for a moment that someone in the theater was standing up in front of the screen.

All in all, though, I thought they did a good job of it. Because it was Titanic, and I freaking love the movie, I happily absorbed the $14.50 price -- for any other movie, no, 3D effect isn't interesting enough to pay that much for one dang movie ticket.

DonitsYum

DonitsYum

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:music, softball, bowling; "Battlestar Galactica", "Mad Men", reality shows

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I have no desire to see it in 3D.

Best audience response line ever: "When the ship docks, I'm getting off with you" (audience) "You just did!"

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Did the cut from Jack teaching Rose to spit to Rose's mom and the other ladies get as big a laugh as it did in 1997?

Or the part where Leo is drawing nude Kate and Old Rose says "It was the most erotic moment of my life" and cut to Bill Paxton and his crew all by transfixed by the story!

Edited by Limbonaut, Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:58 AM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Did the cut from Jack teaching Rose to spit to Rose's mom and the other ladies get as big a laugh as it did in 1997?

Or the part where Leo is drawing nude Kate and Old Rose says "It was the most erotic moment of my life" and cut to Bill Paxton and his crew all by transfixed by the story!

During my viewing it did -- made me smile, everyone being just as into it as they were back then. Another part was when Rose gave Lovejoy the finger.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

I don't know why, but I'm planning to see it on Saturday. I know it'll be creepy, watching it in theatres exactly 100 years after the Titanic first sunk, but I think in that way, it'll make the movie more nostalgic and more emotional. Besides, I like laughing at the small comedic moments, like Rose spitting in Cal's face or the whole 'King of the World' moment.

But I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that there'll be people like me who will see it on April 14th for the same reason I'm going to see it. Although I'm sure many people won't want to see it for precisely the same reason.