SavageU

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

12 replies to this topic

mccurdy

mccurdy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Anyone else see this new MTV show -- with Dan Savage traveling to college campuses to talk about sex and relationships? Anyone else pleasantly surprised by it?

ncw12371

ncw12371

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

No, but very familiar with his awesome advice column, and his hilarious definition of "Santorum." He and his readers are responsible for what appears when you google the name, ha ha! Will defintely check it out.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

I have not seen it but I want to check it out. It looks humorous.

Israfel

Israfel

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I could not believe the guy and his girlfriend who said they used no protection at all and "hadn't really thought" about what would happen in case of pregnancy. Sheesh! I guess we'll be seeing them soon on an episode of 16 and pregnant ...

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Israfel, I was thinking the same thing - I bet his parents are happy that they're spending all that money to send him to school.

I like Dan's column/podcast, so I'm ready to give this a try.

Edited by dreamy, Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:18 PM.

victoriassecret

victoriassecret

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

This show was better than I thought. Will continue watching.

cabelcb

cabelcb

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

I just saw the guy who was getting tested and the phone call with the girlfriend. I can't believe how clueless those two were. You're both are adults and a big self-effect of sex is making a baby. If you're not ready for a baby do stuff to make that not happen.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

What idiots.

It's good paired with 16 and pregnant. Sort of the other side of the issue with sex.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

The thing that strikes me most about this show is how kind Dan is. Sure he's profane and blunt, but that's in service of something great. I think it comes across more strongly on tv than it does in print or podcast.

I love the way the kids' faces light up with "I never thought about it that way!"

I sorta wish he'd discussed safety issues with the transwoman with regards to disclosure. Transpeople are often victims of violence just for disclosing, and a mere 'attagirl, go for it' seemed to me not enough. Maybe there was a discussion left on the cutting room floor (or in the editing harddrive, whatev), but that might be something covered in future shows.

Hezadelsol

Hezadelsol

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

My biggest issue with this show is just how "duh" the answers he gives are. Maybe it's just me but the advice he gives these kids for their problems are the exact same answers I find myself giving them in my head. Where is my show MTV? I guess I have to be an aging gay guy who has no license and needs an assistant by my side 24/7. Not bitter towards him being gay btw just pointing it out.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

A lot of the DUH answers are needed for his audience. MTV did a great job pairing this up with Teen Mom. Answering all those sex ed questions that kids don't get in sex ed.

escapingreality

escapingreality

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

I thought this show would be stupid, but I really like it. I also like how at the end they give little updates on some of the people w/ questions who he sat down with.

The only part I don't like is you can tell a few of the people (mainly guys) say things that probably aren't true just to look like a stud on tv. Like the overweight kind of dorky looking guy who randomly threw in that with some girls he had anal first before vaginal sex. Now if it was part of what they were talking about, fine, but it was completely off-topic, and he threw it in there at the end of the conversation with this look on his face, like you knew he just wanted that shown on tv so people would think he's some sort of lady killer. He kind of looked over to the camera too, to make sure they were catching it.

Most recent episode I saw had the girl with herpes wanting to know when to tell a new guy about it. I have to say, that's gotta suck. I mean for the rest of your life you're stuck with it and can never have fun going out on dates or having new boyfriends without worrying about when to drop the bomb. And let's be honest, unless you already have a guy that really, really, really likes you, who's going to stick around after you tell them that? Savage suggested 3rd date - which I guess makes sense b/c you might be close to having sex at that point, but not many guys with only 3 dates invested in a girl are going to commit to being with a girl with herpes, imo. Felt bad for her.

kitkat1

kitkat1

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

I really like this show. (Wish this show was on in my early college days) Dan Savage seems like a really laid back guy who is relatable to the students, but also a trusting adult that kids can talk to. Felt really bad for the girl who confessed to having a high sex drive and being embarrassed about it. As women, we're almost trained to believe that wanting sex is not "normal". Glad he put her mind at ease.