5-18: "Con Heir" 2012.04.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

112 replies to this topic

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Please provide me with one example of Chuck not loving Blair since Season One

I donít want to get into a pissing match with you. If you still ship CB, chances are nothing Iíll say will change your mind. But a very recent example was 517, when he sent the picture knowing full well it would trap Blair in a loveless marriage all just to keep her away from Dan. That isnít my definition of love, let alone respect for her. But you may be able to rationalise that.

Especially because this show is fundamentally about the friendship between Blair and Serena, which was non-existent this episode

LBR, the show is fundamentally as ship show, friendships take a back seat and are only plot devices, eg Date in this ep. They havenít cared for BS in ages, which is sad.

Oh, and a "coming out party" is completely inconsiderate, not to mention tasteless.

Damned if they do, damned if they donít. People can always not attend. But we should hold judgement until it actually airs in two weeks time.

albmo

albmo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Damned if they do, damned if they donít.

I know right? As far as this episode goes at least, no one so far seems bothered by Dan and Blair at all.William was fine (perhaps a bit too fine gawking at Blair there) with DB, Rufus was fine with it (and even bought Dan a hotel room for the night), and even Lily had a bit of smiles going on there at the breakfast table after Dan and Blair's obvious attempt to get them out of the loft. Dorota was happy to chat with Blair about Dan and so was Nate. So for now, at least 5 people have interacted with Dan and Blair/talked about their sex lives even, and not one of them were horrified.

Yeah, they're totally endgame

How is this remotely relevant to the episode? No one's talking about endgame here. Touchy much...? From the episode, we were shown Dan and Blair being incredibly happy together - both of them smiling in a way I haven't seen in ages - in multiple scenes. They had an issue with the bad sex, they resolved it by the end of the episode, and they're happy and fun and funny in this episode. This is me discussing what happened in the episode. You can choose to say this somehow means DB is horrible to you, you're entirely entitled to it just as much as I am in mine, but how is bringing endgame to the discussion here beneficial in the slightest, except to fan tiresome pissing matches?

Please provide me with one example of Chuck not loving Blair since Season One

That's been discussed to death in the other threads. Go read them if you like. Also, the part that amused me was specifically 'unconditional love', not just love.

pageboy

pageboy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Re: the coming out party. Can't see how it's inconsiderate. Both Chuck and Serena know that Dan and Blair are together. I don't see how hiding their relationship or pretending it doesn't exist in order to maintain the status quo is good for anyone. Assuming that Dan and Blair expect and want to remain together, there's no reason t mollycoddle Chuck and Serena's feelings. People get hurt. Get over it, get used to it and move on.

Would anyone else love a scene of Nate and Blair together? Ntae/Blair/Dan are my OT3

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Serena hasnít been really considerate in the past and Chuck has flaunted plenty of girls around Blair, taunted her more like on occasion. Karma.

But as I said, its not for a few weeks yet, lets see how it plays out.

Would anyone else love a scene of Nate and Blair together? Ntae/Blair/Dan are my OT3

Yes. When did Nate and Blair last interact?

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

Yes. When did Nate and Blair last interact?

Good question. Does Blair even know he runs the Spectator? lol. I can't remember if they crossed paths on the night of the accident but I think not.

pageboy

pageboy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

Like, last season when she was trying to get him to sleep with Epperly. "A woman never forgets!" I love them.

I like Serena, but she kind of lost me in terms of consideration about other's romantic feelings when she moved Ben into Dan's home and then started dating him. I wish they had done a better job of building up her feelings for Dan again, but the way it all played out her confession of love seemed more of a last-ditch effort to hang on to his affection rather than a genuine display of emotion.

I think this episode Dan and Blair didn't have much interaction with other characters because it was a fairly private storyline. They couldn't exactly have sex in front of other people. But I do look forward to watching them be a couple in a public setting.

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

As a fan of the Chuck/Blair romance, I'm glad that Blair's character wasn't completely regressed during the time they dated, or else I would've been worried.

Blair became a prostitute in the Chuck/Blair romance. That to me was far more detrimental than her deciding she's cool with doing it in an alley...which she also did with Chuck. Not to mention drunk sex, which is how Chair started ("I succumbed to inebriation" was her confession the day after her first time with Chuck).

I'd rather see a Blair who is less snobbish but has some dignity left (ie refuses to let Bass keep suckling her teet and then treating her like shit), than a Blair who is ashamed of herself and doesn't believe she deserves happiness. The way Chuck broke her down mentally was just so sad.

I liked Dan and Blair in this episode because I like happy Blair.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Ditto Phiharmanic. I'm a fan of Blair and enjoyed seeing her happy. Her expressions and cuteness are addictive. Dan's love and thoughtfulness towards her is more rewarding.

YourMomOnToast

YourMomOnToast

Video Archivist

• Interests:I am a bridal consultant and I love it! Other than that, catch me in some nerdy forum that I'm sure to be in!

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

The fact that the writers are trying to rehash that storyline again is absurd. Mark my words, this will end up with Chuck being his own father.

Psh. If anything, we'll find out that Nate is secretly a super genius who has invented time travel, thereby becoming Chuck's father. AT LEAST THEN NATE WOULD HAVE A PLOT LINE!

You know, besides be there to bang/date/squire random celebrity star of the week.

londonbridge

londonbridge

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Just to throw out my 2 cents on the Dan/Blair sex being "hot or not," I felt like the chemistry was missing because they seemed like they were on a mission to have sex as if a point needed to be proven. Instead of being passionate and caught up in being in love, it felt like sex for the sake of having sex. Their first time felt like they were doing it to prove their feelings for each other/consummate their relationship and the times following that felt as though Blair was trying to prove her selfworth to Dan after her "I am good" comment. The actions themselves (elevator propping, pant unzipping, hair grabbing, etc) could've been hot, but the forced nature of it killed any semblance of sexiness for me.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

I believe the point to take about the "bad" sex storyline is that Dan and Blair wanted it to be perfect but with that added stress or pressure and didn't turn out as they hoped. They just needed to feel relax and not over think things which they did by relying on alcohol. I know that if I had alcohol in my system, I feel like I can do anything and have more fun because I'm not over analyzing the situation. Anyways, towards the end, they even confirmed it and now "sky is the limit."

xCosmicLove

xCosmicLove

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Just to throw out my 2 cents on the Dan/Blair sex being "hot or not," I felt like the chemistry was missing because they seemed like they were on a mission to have sex as if a point needed to be proven. Instead of being passionate and caught up in being in love, it felt like sex for the sake of having sex. Their first time felt like they were doing it to prove their feelings for each other/consummate their relationship and the times following that felt as though Blair was trying to prove her selfworth to Dan after her "I am good" comment. The actions themselves (elevator propping, pant unzipping, hair grabbing, etc) could've been hot, but the forced nature of it killed any semblance of sexiness for me.

Yeah, it just further reinforced to me that Dan and Blair should not be having sex. There is something just very wrong about it IMO, and not just because Serena is still in love with him. They had such a sibling vibe and watching them attempt to be sexy together squicks me.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Locking this overnight so I have time to clean up some misbehaving posts ó and so you all have time to read the rules.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

I'm reopening this, but please remember that this is a place to discuss ONLY THIS EPISODE -- not what's happened in the past or what will happen in the future. There are places to discuss everything else, but this is the episode thread. And please remember not to be rude to other posters, and not to post as if your opinion is fact. You are no more right than anyone else, because they are all opinions.

inanityrules

inanityrules

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Even on repeated viewings of this episode, Dan's "you were really, really good in my head" makes me simultaneously laugh, squeal and blush at the same time - because a) Penn's delivery of that line was so earnest and sweet and funny, b) Dan basically stated that he had been fantasizing about her for a while now LOL and c) we've practically seen the evidence of it being true, what with the steamy sex scene he imagined between Dylan and Clair in Inside. It really reinforced that beneath that bond of deep, true friendship and respect that Dan has with Blair, he still desires her the way any man would. And of course, Blair's desire for him was obvious throughout the episode too. ;)

It's especially adorable in light of the fact that Dan hasn't been with anyone in over a year now. Sure, playboys may have their appeal, but there's something extremely sexy about a man who's so madly in love with you that he can't even consider being intimate with another woman. But that's just me and my personal views on true love talking. ;)

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

Even on repeated viewings of this episode, Dan's "you were really, really good in my head" makes me simultaneously laugh, squeal and blush at the same time - because a) Penn's delivery of that line was so earnest and sweet and funny, b) Dan basically stated that he had been fantasizing about her for a while now LOL and c) we've practically seen the evidence of it being true, what with the steamy sex scene he imagined between Dylan and Clair in Inside.

That scene made me roll my eyes. I love how Dan's first instinct is to blame Blair and then while Blair does admit that the sex wasn't great, Dan decides to take it a step further and call it "mindnumbingly boring" and says the line about Blair being good in his head. So, he basically destroys Blair's self-esteem with that sentence and prompts her to prove her sexual aptitude to him. Some pairings just aren't meant to have sex.

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

That scene made me roll my eyes. I love how Dan's first instinct is to blame Blair and then while Blair does admit that the sex wasn't great, Dan decides to take it a step further and call it "mindnumbingly boring" and says the line about Blair being good in his head. So, he basically destroys Blair's self-esteem with that sentence and prompts her to prove her sexual aptitude to him. Some pairings just aren't meant to have sex.

Chortling with Blair's ex about his first time with her was in poor taste. Blaming her for the bad sex? That is Dan Humphrey for you

So what if Blair insinuated to Darota that it was his fault, she wasn't talking to someone he's been with before. If he is Blair's best bet at a happy well adjusted relationship them she has my sympathy

The show continues to shit on Serena. She can't even hold a job to save her life. Funny indeed

Edited by 112288, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:29 AM.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:38 AM

It's especially adorable in light of the fact that Dan hasn't been with anyone in over a year now. Sure, playboys may have their appeal, but there's something extremely sexy about a man who's so madly in love with you that he can't even consider being intimate with another woman. But that's just me and my personal views on true love talking. ;)

I agree, it's defiantly something I can't turn on and off like a switch either. Add the fact she was engaged, pregnant and Chuck was still around, ie he had a snowballs chance in hell. Chuck provided two girls in 508 for him and Serena made herself available, he still didn't falter. It defiantly reflects on how strong his feelings are that he waited.

inanityrules

inanityrules

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:36 AM

I didn't see it this way at all. Blair's self-esteem was hardly "destroyed" - we've seen that happen several times during the show and none of it was caused by Dan - she didn't seem upset and it was played for the laughs. The whole scene had a comedic vibe to it and I laughed at when Blair called their first time "the least sexy thing since Courtney Stodden."

It was part of the verbal foreplay Dan and Blair regularly engage in. In 5x16, Blair equated kissing Dylan/Dan to "petting a dog", which incited Dan to kiss her back passionately (and what a kiss that was!) This time around, it was Blair trying to prove him wrong which was just as adorable. It's just part of their happy, snappy banter - as Blair said herself, she regularly "points out the sadness of his hair, clothing and Brooklyn roots" and he "decries her constructive criticism as snobbery." ;-)

It hasn't been malicious since the very early seasons, and both Dan and Blair react accordingly to their little digs at each other IMO.

Edited by inanityrules, Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:41 AM.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

So sitting out of the show for all that time and coming back to it made me realize that this show has completely Joey Pottered Blair for me. Meaning, while watching this episode I realized that I pretty much hate her. A lot. I'm happy for Dan that he has gotten something he worked so hard for, endured so much for, etc., but to me Blair's happiness and lightness here is completely unearned. Dan paid his dues so I can root for him, but Blair is just dead to me. She has wreaked havoc with the emotions of pretty much everyone around her, engaged in such shenanigans for the entire first part of the season that I questioned her sanity, and now she doesn't give a shit about any of it as long as she gets a good lay from Dan Humphrey. Stay classy, Blair. All the stuff she took so seriously like Louis, her wedding, the dowry has all turned into a joke, which makes the whole first part of the season even more pointless than it was while I was suffering through it.

Jack and Chuck were funny, but is there really anything new there storytelling-wise? They certainly hinted at resolution to the fake!Mommy, not!Mommy story, which I guess will be satisfying on one level, but really, I feel like I've been there done that. The writers need to come up with a new story line for Chuck that isn't Blair or parent related.

The show continues to shit on Serena. She can't even hold a job to save her life.

I really felt for Serena even though she was being stupid. She just seems so sad and desperate and I want her to be happy. I want something good to happen to her, like maybe Carter Baizen? Please show, please, go there. Or make her good at something relevant.

I actually practiced trusts and estates law for several years so the whole VdW, Ivy story is grossly unrealistic to me for more reasons than I care to go into here. But on a level of pure entertainment I am enjoying seeing Lily squirm, her and Rufus back in the loft, Ivy lording over it at Prada, Dr. VdW being creepy, and all else that it entails.

PdmntPdl

PdmntPdl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Chortling with Blair's ex about his first time with her was in poor taste.

Danís two options were basically Nate or Rufus. At least he didnít turn to his dad. That scene highlighted the fact that the 3 people that left the show were all tied to Dan, and heís been left with almost no one to talk to. I would have loved to see Eric and Dan have that conversation.

It's especially adorable in light of the fact that Dan hasn't been with anyone in over a year now.

Danís celibacy was quickly on its way to being pathetic. It was a nice contrast to Chuckís man-whoring. But based on how Blair was treating him it was starting to become more tragic than endearing. So I was glad that he didnít automatically blame himself. Dan and Blair are better when Dan isnít a total pushover. Good catch on the 5x16 callback inanityrules. I hadn't noticed it. But the scenes are similar, and ecapsalate why I find them fun to watch.

Kirsty

Kirsty

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

I liked Blair's Etro print dress. But Serena's outfit at work was really dull and boring -- most unSerena-like. I didn't realise it was possible to put together an outfit so dull that even Blake Lively can't shine in it, but she was like Pam Beesly at The Spectator office, fading into the background in a camel cardigan.

re. Ivy:
Sure you can be an evil usurper who steals someone's identity and grandmother and kicks a couple of main characters out on the street. But if you do, no one wants to hear you whining about how unfriendly they are afterwards and how lonely it is in the penthouse with all of said grandmother's money! The show does not need another whiny villain, and even if it did, she would need a better tale of woe, as I can hardly be expected to care about Ivy's inability to hire an art consultant from the UES. Maybe she needs to work on her woobie pain. The bar is pretty high on this show. She should get back to us when she's been almost killed twice, haunted by at least one dead parent, and has lost "the love of her life" several times over. ;)

The Blair/Dan plot was cute and funny and it was drunk!Blair's finest outing. The way the elevator scene opened with this pair of adorable idiots too wasted to realise that they hadn't left the ground floor cracked me up. In addition to their scene in the elevator, I particularly enjoyed Dorota's line about Vanya's learning curve and Blair's reaction; that moment when Blair and Dan looked crushed, on either side of the hotel room door; and the bit where the two drunkards ran into each other in the foyer and failed to act normal. Also, Dan looked cute and boyish in his red shirt. Blair carrying a picnic basket over her arm from one sex location to the next was perfectly and hilariously in character, as was Dan feeling much better placing the blame with Blair (!) and letting her know that at least she was really good in his imagination! (Wtf, Dan)

Yay for Leighton Meester as a super cute drunk, and for a Dan/Blair hook-up after all this time (I mean five seasons!).

Edited by Kirsty, Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:37 PM.

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

I really felt for Serena even though she was being stupid. She just seems so sad and desperate and I want her to be happy. I want something good to happen to her, like maybe Carter Baizen? Please show, please, go there. Or make her good at something relevant.

What has Sebastian been up to these days, now that the season 6 is a full season, there is more time for Serena to revisit that relationship. It won't be that hard to prove he is It for her.

Danís two options were basically Nate or Rufus. At least he didnít turn to his dad.

That is kinda sad. But it doesn't excuse him blaming Blair for the bad sex. He could have had the same conversation with Nate without blaming either one of them. It was the circumstances, blame it on that