Eden's World

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

189 replies to this topic

makesnosense

makesnosense

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:02 AM

Eden's education (or lack of it) was in question weeks ago and we got at least a partial answer last night--she can't read. And she's, what, seven now? Blame on that goes squarely on Mickie, who once again proves that she's completely blinded by her own ambition. Not Eden's ambitions, her own.

The whole reading thing that makes me think of Jackson Duggar, who similarly couldn't read by seven. Whole different can of worms there, but similar lack of interest in education. Or proper education.

Kinda can't wait to see Heather get hoisted on her own petard. That whole crew, sometimes excepting Andrew, defines motley.

Edited by makesnosense, May 15, 2012 @ 7:03 AM.

beden

beden

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:03 AM

Okay, I admit it. I was tired and turned the TV off when Mickie had her hissy fit regarding how offended she was that the agent (or whatever she was) said the kid needed to be able to read and that Mickie feeding her lines was destroying any creativity Eden might have brought to the reading--which was spot on. Eden was also not focusing on the lines or what was happening, her attention wasn't there and she wasn't listening to the woman; how not to impress a professional.

First of all, in theory--and yes, I know I'm speaking in a vacuum here--the constructive criticism was dead on and it's not a personal attack. And, second, the theater community is a relatively small one. The story of that kind of non-cooperative shit will make the rounds at lunches, auditions, business meetings, dinners and performances. Ms Mickie is digging herself and her daughter into a very deep professional hole.

A seven year old who's a non-reader? Not good. When my now 23 year old son was in public kindergarden at 5 years old they were learning to read. By 7 he could manage kids books just fine. Very not good. Pretty hands only gets you so far in the world.

I repeat; Eden is riding for a very hard fall and it's not going to be good.

Edited by beden, May 15, 2012 @ 7:05 AM.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

she can't read. And she's, what, seven now? Blame on that goes squarely on Mickie, who once again proves that she's completely blinded by her own ambition. Not Eden's ambitions, her own.

She probably thinks Eden doesn't need to learn to read because her "natural talent" is good enough. Only mediocre children need to put in the effort to learn, Eden is such a special cosmic princess the words in the script will just magically find their way into Eden's head.

If Mickie keeps this up, Eden will grow up to be an untrained minimally talented illiterate.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

It is parents like this who give homeschooling a bad name. My sister homeschools and her kids are all reading just fine. Who is Eden's teacher? because whomever it is is not doing their job. She should be taking standard tests to be sure she is where she needs to be and obviously she is not.

Catlyn

Catlyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

Eden was on the New Now Next logo awards show and treated like a star.

I saw her and thought the blocking was odd. It was the same awkward blocking used when one actor is supposed to be twins and you have the double's back facing you as the actor talks. When they had Eden speak, it was her in close up. The only blocking that seemed natural was when Eden and the drag queens were speaking together. It seems as if she was having a problem with her lines if that was what they resorted to as blocking.

Another comment on Shirley Temple: she was trained in dance. She had natural talent, but it was helped by the disciplines learned in dance class. She enjoyed dancing and she was a natural mimic. Since she was about 3 or 4 when she started, her mother also read her the lines, but Shirley knew what they were about and knew what she needed to emote. Apparently Micki can't even read a line correctly to give Eden a clue.

Maxine of Arc

Maxine of Arc

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Eden's 6 and she can't read? Does she attend school? I can't remember if that was ever discussed.

SlightBuzz

SlightBuzz

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I think it is terribly sad that Eden cannot read at age 7, and even sadder that Mickie was so offended when confronted with this fact. When Mickie was getting all offended, I would have said, "oh sorry, Eden can read?" "Please have her read what is on the script".

I don't know if Mickie was a teacher, she does often refers to that fact she was in the school system for 25 years. I don't recall if she ever said she wasa teacher. Maybe she worked in the cafeteria.

cjane

cjane

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

I think she was a chorus teacher or something like that.

But this is so not right. Are they just saying Eden can't read to make the show interesting? Because... wow.

ElleBlair

ElleBlair

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

Mickie was a drama teacher, and she "homeschools" Eden.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Mickie Wood tried to friend me on FB after I wrote on the show page that it was ridiculous to be offended at the suggestion that Eden should be able to read a script, that there was no excuse for Eden to be illiterate and Eden should be in school and learning to read, not shilled out for entertainment.

Friend request: DENIED

I have standards.

ETA: Per Radar Online, I didn't know Eden's parents spent over $150k and took out a second mortgage on their house to pay for Eden's "career." Mickie's as bad at math as she is at reading.

Edited by Asari, May 16, 2012 @ 10:48 PM.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

What? Eden can't read?

Buh - buh - but. Didn't she WRITE a BOOK?

That she autographs at her supahstah celeb appearances for adoring 4 year old fans?

:facepalm:

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

Yeah, they need to work on reading if she's seriously unable to do so at age seven. That's not cute or adorable, thats just setting the kid up for failure.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

I'd say that not being able to read at age seven is beyond setting the kid up for failure; it is failure. Barring a learning disability, I can't think of a good reason for a kid that old to not know how to read. As Mickie said, a kid that age could easily be a "beginning reader." Not wanting to read, not being good at reading, that I can understand. It takes some people longer than others, and some people just don't enjoy it. But to be completely illiterate at age seven is just inexcusable. The only conclusion I can find to draw from this show is that Mickie really doesn't think it's important for Eden to learn to read. Which is just mind-boggling, as Mickie claims to be an educator herself.

Also, Eden really, really doesn't seem to have the temperament for a professional child actor/performer. The kid is hyper, unfocused and never paying attention to what's happening unless someone's speaking directly at her. I saw the screen test for the little girls who played Rachel Cuddy on House. At age two and a half (!!!) they were alert, responsive and very receptive to direction. They were also better spoken than Eden is at age seven. Eden can coast on her reality show getting her second chances with casting people for now, but what happens when everyone forgets who the hell Eden Wood is?

Edited by McKay, May 17, 2012 @ 9:47 AM.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

Not wanting to read, not being good at reading, that I can understand. It takes some people longer than others, and some people just don't enjoy it. But to be completely illiterate at age seven is just inexcusable.

I am willing to concede the possibility that Eden has probably been exposed to reading and just isn't at "read a script" level.

beaglelove

beaglelove

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

I can't wait until Eden turns 18 so Mickie can pull a full out Mama Rose. Booking Eden into strip clubs. 'Now keep your g-string on remember your a lady". And then Mickie's tour de force of "Mama's Turn" and has a total breakdown. In my version she's locked up and Eden is finally free.

Or all out "Baby Jane". Eden in over the top scary makeup still screeching Cutie Patootie. Mickie's in a wheelchair being tortured with trays of dead rats and parrots. How sweet it would be.

FREE EDEN!! That kid is quickly going to be a terror and all fingers and blame point to Mickie.

mckennish

mckennish

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

I really believe that Mrs. Wood is not seeing the big picture where her daughter is concerned. She is not qualified to coach her for a career in show business nor should she be teaching her school subjects. She might want to think about what will happen to Eden if she should be in a show where there are other kids in the cast. If she is not able to read the changes in her script the other kids will laugh at her or make faces and she will not be made friends with. I did see a different Eden during the audition when her mother was out of the room. She followed direction and I think she has possibilities. However, if her mother does not get out of her way and leave her training and direction to the professionals who are being paid to do these jobs she will ruin this child's career before it begins. I hope she will keep in mind that no one wants to work with a child whose mother does not know her place.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Kind of reminded me of Kate Gosselin when she took the twins to the modeling studio when they little. She kept trying to butt in and tell the girls what to do.Finally the lady told her none to kindly to shut up and the kids did fine. Some of these mothers are so pushy that the kids just tune them out after a while.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

Found this in the 60 Minutes chat interview with Mickie Wood:

Q: Does Eden go to school? If so how does she cope with school and the pageants?

Mickie Wood: She has gone to ABC school for the past 2 years, not consistently as she is too young. But she will start kindergarten this year, but we shall homeschool her as I am a teacher. Her dad also has a teaching degree. We want to control her what she is taught and home schooling gives us the opportunity to do that. Even if she wasn't the little celebrity that she is, we would home school her and be hands on parents. You send children to school and they are mixed with children of so many different ways and personality that you may not want for your child, so we want our child to be stronger and well balanced as an adult, so home schooling will be how we do things. Education is important for her future.

Gee, I wonder what "children of so many different ways and personality that you may not want for your child" means. Hmmm.

From Vanity Fair:

Q: Doesnít that make you paranoid? Youíre constantly being watched. Itís so Orwellian.

Mickie: You just have to realize that if youíre a flake, youíre going to look like a flake on TV. I donít think a lot of people have a grasp on their own reality.

The jokes just write themselves.

beden

beden

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

This show now makes me uncomfortable.

A train wreck reality show built for snark is one thing; a TV show highlighting astoundingly bad parenting, showcasing a child being set up for monumental emotional and professional failure while being used by her 'supporting' adult handlers for their own fantasy goals while also being raised to become an effective illiterate lacking basic social skills isn't entertainment for me.

I started our vaguely amused. I'm now appalled and uncomfortable with this mess. My sympathies remain with the child who is too young to understand just how fucked up she's on track to become.

This just isn't funny.

makesnosense

makesnosense

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

That's so true. It's not funny...and it just keeps getting worse.

The constant one-upsmanship and battles between Andrew and Heather was beyond annoying...and even if my sympathy for Andrew was lessened somewhat by his behavior in this episode, he needs to get out of there. Let the Wood vessel keep sailing in the sea of delusion all on its own.

And Mickie dropping the F-bomb in the preview for next week? Klassy.

I was wracking my brain trying to think of who Sammy reminded me of and then it hit me...Marilyn Chambers. It wasn't just physically, it was her attitude and the way she carried herself. Not good for a 12-year-old.

GraceyGoBoom

GraceyGoBoom

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I agree, it's just sad, but apparently Mickie and Heather have recorded a song (if you can call it that) themselves now and are making a music video, so maybe there's a chance they're done trying to use Eden as their ticket to fame. It's clearly been all about them the whole time so it's nice they stopped hiding it.

Article about the "song" and a preview
Same amazing quality as Underpuppy and Cutie Patootie. Sure to top the charts all over the world.

Casting call for music video
Audition now to be a part of a HUGE media blitz!

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

She says her husband has a teaching degree? Last i heard he worked TWO jobs. When does he have time to homeschool his kid? And if she is doing it she is not doing a good job. As I said, my sister homeschools and her kids have to take yearly tests to make sure they are doing well. The tests come from the state. So how is it that Eden's not been told she has to go to public school? I bet if she did she would learn to read real quick. She does not strike me as a stupid kid. Just uneducated

mckennish

mckennish

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

She is probably smarter than the whole lot of them and sees right through them. I cannot imagine how embarrassed she is to make those cutesy little sayings and ridiculous hand motions. As far as her schooling aren't there state laws that should look into this? Her mother is showing her that education means nothing, just her stardom is important. I feel so sorry for that child. She really could be a star if her mother would stop calling the shots and she in with a really professional agency.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

Arkansas seems to have very lax homeschooling laws. This has been discussed in connection with another reality show family. Testing is required annually but there is no minimum that has to be obtained on the test. It looks like as long as one shows documentation of the minimum hours that not a lot else is required and it's kind of on the honor system.

The only thing I can say about Micki teaching Eden to read is that being a high school music or drama teacher in no way prepared Micki to teach beginning reading. The educational program is completely different.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 12:44 AM

Some behind the scenes from someone who knows the mother of Zoey the dancer. Zoey and Adrianna dance at the same studio and it was Adrianna's mom who told the producers Zoey's story about having a hard-working single mom who adopted her.

- LOGO set the mother up by telling her the show was about adopting and supporting her daughter as a dancer and promoting adoption in general. The mother was never given the name of the show and found out what it was a week before it aired. They also told her it would be on Bravo and not LOGO.

- The mother had never heard of Eden or Mickie nor did she know she was going to be filmed for a pageant but after signing the contracts they had to go along with it. Adrianna was filmed at the same time.

- The entire pageant was staged and a hoax.

- Eden and her E Team are not flying all over the US, they film all of the pageant material in the same week, 2 girls at once which is cut into 2 episodes. Also they take pieces from some shows and splice them into other ones.

- Zoey hated the pageant. She had to wake up at 5 am to have her hair done by Fran (who was drinking by the end of the day) and they didn't give her time to eat the entire day.

- The little Columbian girl was spray-tanned at midnight.

- Zoey and her mother both wanted to opt out but the producers kept insisting it was about adoption and single moms.

- Producers told her to repeat things Eden or Mickie said; the producers fed Eden lines, "these are the things you need to focus on, hair, beauty and the walk" and then ask the mother if she remembered what Eden said, they twisted it to make it seem it was the mother's words, not Eden's.

- They added a laugh to the end of her sentences and spliced them together and even gave her voice an artificial shake to make her sound maniacal.

- The mother's boyfriend said he did not want himself or his boys to be on camera and refused to sign a release, but they put him and his children on the show anyway. He thought about suing.

- Several other dance moms who were there said they saw the production crew purchasing shots of hard liquor for Fran, the woman with sharp objects and hot curling irons in her hands. Fran had several meltdowns in front of the children.

- Andrew would go up to the mothers and say random, horrible things to them. He did this to Karen and she didn't know how to respond or what the point of it was. She says that if this is the kind of people the mother is paying to represent Eden, the show should be pulled off the air. If they want to present pageants in a positive light they should hire classy, respectable people.

- The mother feels awful because, thinking the show would be about adoption, she promoted the show to her co-workers and Zoey's school. She wished she had gotten a lawyer to look over the contract first.

- She said that if she continued to do pageants with the E Team she'd need to be medicated because their behavior was unprofessional and she was embarrassed for her daughter.

- The mother said that agreeing to do this show was the biggest mistake of her life.

Edited by Asari, May 24, 2012 @ 2:25 AM.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

The episodes keep getting worse and worse and more and more fake. The pageants are so obviously staged with the audience stocked with people pulled in from the sidewalk and paid about $10 to sit in the chairs.

I would feel for Zoey's mom but signing an entertainment contract without a lawyer is foolish. The less classy the network, the more you need protection.

bellalisa

bellalisa

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

The pageants do look totally fake and the girl who is featured always wins even though they have been pretty homely and terrible. It's to make you think Eden is a great coach or something?

The show is a total farce. Micki doesnt care she wants Eden and herself on TV she doesnt care how low she has to sink

beden

beden

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

I wonder what Eden is actually told about this show, what it will do for her, how it's going to make her a star and all of that BS. I'm almost willing to believe that Mickie knows it's all faked, that the supposed assistants (managers, PR, whatever people) are just there as extras or supporting cast members in this mess and that she's in on the joke--if this were a joke. I'm even willing to believe that Mickie is deluded enough to actually believe that there's no such thing as bad publicity and that this will, in fact, lead to bigger and better things.

All right, Paris Hilton and the entire Kardashian clan have spun lucrative careers out of air and sex tapes but a 7 year old? Really? A career based on kiddie beauty pageants and a hyper-delusional stage mother? I just don't see this as, as my old daddy would say, having legs.

Again, I think that Eden--a perfectly normal, if spoiled and out of touch with any kind of reality child--is headed for a very hard and very long fall.

Dare I ask if anyone knows if this mess has been renewed for a second season? I genuinely hope it hasn't, for the kid's sake.

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

You send children to school and they are mixed with children of so many different ways and personality that you may not want for your child, so we want our child to be stronger and well balanced as an adult, so home schooling will be how we do things.

How is she going to teach anything to Eden when she can barely put together a complete, coherent sentence?

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

I've asked myself the question if Micki is in on the farce of the story or not. If she wasn't from the beginning surely seeing the show and hearing from relatives and neighbors has shown it to her. She is highly delusional though so may have written off advice and counsel as jealousy.

I can not imagine having a child taught by Micki. I'd have been having fits as incompetent as she appears. She does come from a tiny town so it may have been Micki or no one to teach what she did.