The Lighter Side of Mad Men

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

29 replies to this topic

SuzN

SuzN

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Here's a bit of fun. Enjoy.

The Dogs of Mad Men

turkeypotpie

turkeypotpie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Funny! The only one I didn't like was Peggy as Beagle because I have a much-adored beagle (nearly 12 years old, blind and diabetic but the sweetest, most tolerant, gentle, accepting creature on earth) and she just doesn't seem nearly sweet and content enough to be compared :-)

Philipscomments

Philipscomments

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

OK, if you remember the band Ram Jam from back in the late 70s, you will know this song....sort of....

Whoa Fat Betty, bam-ba-lam
Fat Betty had some chips, bam-ba-lam
Went straight to her hips, bam-ba-lam

Fat Betty cried to Don, bam-ba-lam
'Cause her husband's gone, bam-ba-lam

Fat Betty needs a pill, bam-ba-lam
So she can eat her fill, bam-ba-lam

I could go on, but you get the idea. :)

Edited by TWoP Mars, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:59 PM.
Moved from episode thread.

SuzN

SuzN

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

I was hoping they could add Megan to the Dogs of Man Men - I was thinking a black Standard Poodle.

I like it...

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Mad Men cast and crew spoof Bye, Bye Birdie for Matt Weiner.

It's mostly kind of embarrassing, IMO, but there is a funny call-back to S1 at the 4:29 mark.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

That was hilarious. I presume it was for the wrap party or something. I LOVED little Kiernan. You can tell these guys have a good time.

bombayduck

bombayduck

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

That Bye-Bye, Birdie video is fantastic. Elisabeth Moss with that gum and her phone...

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

I discovered it quite a while ago on YouTube. It is pretty funny. Love the crew...they are all over the board with their singing! Jon Hamm looks goofy...as he often does when he's got his own face on and not Don Draper's. The outtakes are hysterical. They come on right after the video.

I wish they'd release MM filming outtakes. I've seen a few from Breaking Bad and they are so funny.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

I wish they'd release MM filming outtakes.

I have a theory. For the same reason he didn't use "name" actors, I think MW wants HIS vision of the episode to be what you remember. Commentary is okay because it typically explains the vision more but outtakes take you out of the show and seeing the people as actors vice characters.

I've always adored deleted scenes too but again, that's consistent w/ MW wanting to control the image IMO.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

Jon Hamm's School of Eyebrow Acting from FunnyOrDie. Mostly (exclusively?) from first few episodes of Season 1. My, Don Draper looked almost fresh-faced back then!

godonlyknows

godonlyknows

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Mad Men go bowling

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

I would use either one of these in a forum signature. Gold! :D

http://i51.tinypic.com/zvd7ic.gif

http://i52.tinypic.com/2dwbvro.jpg

Edited by newyawk, Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:16 PM.

clairebbbear

clairebbbear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Don Draper says "What".

Edited by clairebbbear, Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:45 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

I don't watch Game of Thrones (sorry, the fantasy genre just doesn't click with me), but that didn't stop me from enjoying this GoT/MM drink-off video.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

Jon Hamm's School of Eyebrow Acting from FunnyOrDie. Mostly (exclusively?) from first few episodes of Season 1. My, Don Draper looked almost fresh-faced back then!

Not only did he look so fresh-faced (it was about 5 years ago, right? JH was only 35 back then), if you watch it, you are hit over the head with how confident Don Draper was vs this season where he seems to be a namby-pamby p-whipped, desperado, needy, aging, guy.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

TWoP's gallery of S5's jaw-dropping moments is a hoot!

Of course Roger was the first SCDP partner to experiment with LSD (on camera, that is -- who knows what Bert Cooper does in his spare time).

Hee.

TC3200

TC3200

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

Mad Men cast and crew spoof Bye, Bye Birdie for Matt Weiner.

It's mostly kind of embarrassing, IMO, but there is a funny call-back to S1 at the 4:29 mark.

haha! I love Mad Men's use of vintage music. Aren't the final three notes on that video from Ted Weems "Heartaches," perhaps from its incarnation on an LP named "Into the Fifties?" The up-tempo 1947-1948 hit with all the washboards and rasberries? "...my. heart. a-a-a-aches. for. Yoooooou" (cymbal crash)

Edited by TC3200, Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:18 PM.

lska

lska

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

Peggy Olsen checking her Blackberry?! I can die happy.

January Jones and Jon Hamm made me smile, too.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

I'd seen that a while ago and loved it.

I didn't know where to put this, but my husband and I recently rewatched Animal House for the umpteenth time and I got to thinking. What if Mad Men ended like Animal House? The action stops at the end of S7 and we get a " where are they now" update. I know that Animal House came out in the 80s, so we were only talking 20 some odd years rather than 45 or 50, but assuming they're all alive, I thought t'd take a stab at some and see what else people come up with as well.

Roger Sterling: Took a trip to San Francisco during the Summer of Love and fell in with a hippie commune. Turned on, tuned in and dropped out. In the mid 70s, using Sterling's fortune as seed money, the commune invested in some land north of the City...up in Napa Valley. They farmed the land and became self sustaining, gave up animal products and farmed organically. Several members had an interest in growing grapes, so they planted those and began making wine. Today, Sterling Vineyards is one of the top wine producers in the United States. Roger looks 20 years younger than he is because of all the healthy living.

Peggy Olson: Peggy became the hottest copywriter on Madison Ave after coining the "You've Come a Long Way Baby campaign for Virginia Slims. She remained at CGC for several years, despite Don's repeated attempts to hire her back. Eventually, she opened her own shop and hired Stan. The agency won the huge Sterling Vineyards account but when the client paid the first bill, they inexplicably deducted $400.

Stan Rizzo: He went to work with Peggy for a few years and eventually moved to LA to open their west coast office. Stan started to direct commercials and eventually left the agency and became the hottest, most sought after director. He is known for directing blockbuster commercials such as Apple's 1984 spot, among others.

Harry Crane: Harry left his wife and also moved to LA to open his own media buying agency, on a business trip to San Francisco, he ran into Sal. Soon Harry realized he was also a closet homosexual and he moved his business north, where he and Sal became lovers.

Betty Francis: Widowed after Henry died from a heart attack, Betty took over his business. She was so successful, she was eventually called upon to run Regan's campaign for the Presidency. She now lives in a fabulous Georgetown brownstone where she dotes on her grandchildren.

Sally Draper: Sally went to UC Berkeley and got firmly caught up in the counter culture while obtaining her undergraduate degree. She lived on Rogers's commune for a while but eventually made her way back East where she is now a successful lobbyist.

Megan Calvet: after divorcing Don, Megan took back her maiden name which she was using professionally anyway. After failing to make it on broadway, she accepted a job at UCLA as an acting coach. She still makes the rounds for auditions.

Don Draper: After Megan left him, Don ran into a recently widowed Rachael Menken. Their affair rekindled and they both quickly realized they had found their soulmate. Eventually, Rachael left the running of Menkens to her sister and Don retired from SCDP. They travel the world, maintaining homes in Paris, New York and Palm Springs. Don occasionally freelances for Peggy. He refuses to own an iPhone or a laptop, forcing Peggy to track him down the old fashioned way.

Feel free to add your own or change what I've written!

YippySkippy

YippySkippy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

There's nothing funnier than Peggy Olson vlogging, of course.

ONE

TWO

THREE

Bawoman

Bawoman

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Ha!Loved it, rogaine. Except I would have added that Stan and Peggy marry sometime in the early 70s, the marriage produces 2 cute little rugrats, and lasts 7 years. They divorce very amicably and still remain great friends to this day!

Ken retires from advertising after writting a sci-fi novel that becomes a modern classic for that genre. He still lives with Cynthia in the same Jackson Heights apartment.

Pete has a nervous breakdown somewhere in the mid 70s, and is sent to a "mental health clinic" to recover for a few months. Trudy stands by him through it all. After he leaves the clinic, he continues to ba an account man at SCDP, but his spark is gone, as is his interest in the business. He soon retires, and moves back to Manhattan with Trudy.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Loved Ken! I would have actually added the spin that Ken published a book that was based on his years in the ad business, though it was mostly fiction.

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

For those of you who, like me, are both Mad Men AND American Dad fans, I found this on You Tube..a mash up of Roger Sterling and Roger The Alien, two of the funniest, most alcoholic debauched heathens on television..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AGeEc5hausY

CWBorne

CWBorne

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Glen Bishop encounters the Manson family in early 1969, but they find him unsettling and quickly flee. He drifts from job to job, eventually earning local critical acclaim in New York as a depressed poet and black and white photographer. He reluctantly performs public readings of his work (as he's still insecure about his mustache) with the audience hailing his piercing stare and flat tone as bold. Against all expectations Glen meets up for coffee with Sally once a year.

Paul Kinsey became a writer and director with with what he called the "erotic film" scene in LA after his Hollywood career washed out in the late 60s. After a brief attempt at an ill-fated folk music career, Paul now runs an alternative bookstore where he lectures customers and employees about literature and art.

Chauncey got adopted by a New York family and went on to save Christmas.

Tammy Campbell grows up and has an up and down relationship with Pete and Trudy. To her parents surprise (but not quite dismay) she marries a Jewish man with the surname Edison. The Edisons and the Campbells are aghast when Tammy's daughter decides to go to a community college after high school.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

Hee!

Bobby Draper burns his draft card (like father, like son!) and flees to Canada. While there he joins the Canadian Forest Service and becomes an instrumental voice against clear cutting in the Canadian Rockies and British Columbia. He falls in love with a girl from New York and is heartbroken when she returns to the United States. Against all odds, their relationship survives until he is granted amnesty and returns to New York to marry her. Don is happy to have him back, but gives him a firm lecture about draft dodging and army desertion. Sally cues him on the real story years later.

Gene Draper has inherited his father's creative gift and has become a powerhouse in the advertising industry. He is tempermental and has a reputation for being a tough task master but he has many Clios under his belt.

Polly ran away from the Francis mansion and was never seen again.

Pete has a nervous breakdown somewhere in the mid 70s, and is sent to a "mental health clinic" to recover for a few months. Trudy stands by him through it all. After he leaves the clinic, he continues to ba an account man at SCDP, but his spark is gone, as is his interest in the business. He soon retires, and moves back to Manhattan with Trudy.

I would also add that they decided to open a ballroom dancing studio where they quickly became famous for their Charleston and have made several TV appearances.

Edited by rogaine2233, Jun 13, 2012 @ 7:11 PM.

johnacraft

johnacraft

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

The agency won the huge Sterling Vineyards account but when the client paid the first bill, they inexplicably deducted $400.

Just so you know, there's now bourbon on my keyboard.

snowprince

snowprince

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

Bobby Draper burns his draft card (like father, like son!) and flees to Canada.

Bobby's too young for the draft

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

Glen Bishop encounters the Manson family in early 1969, but they find him unsettling and quickly flee. He drifts from job to job, eventually earning local critical acclaim in New York as a depressed poet and black and white photographer. He reluctantly performs public readings of his work (as he's still insecure about his mustache) with the audience hailing his piercing stare and flat tone as bold. Against all expectations Glen meets up for coffee with Sally once a year.

I love this. I think the secret is for Glen to find a way to make that flat affect work for him.

TC3200

TC3200

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 9:50 PM #20

There's nothing funnier than Peggy Olson vlogging, of course.

hahahahahaha! Those are HYSTERICAL! I love the way she twists her lips around and does that smug grin. She should do one for Season 5, and conclude:

"Season 5? It will *shock* you how much it never happened. " >;-D

SuzN

SuzN

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

The projected futures of the characters by rogaine2233, Bawoman & CW Borne are brilliant all, but this absolutely made my day:

Glen Bishop encounters the Manson family in early 1969, but they find him unsettling and quickly flee.

And thanks YippySkippy for the Peggy Olson vlogging links. Priceless! EM's mannerisms are captured amazingly well.

Edited by SuzN, Jun 14, 2012 @ 10:46 PM.