TARcon XX

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

71 replies to this topic

missdona

missdona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

TARcon XX is May 6.

We have a 2 hour finale, so there’s a slight adjustment in times. Pay attention, people.

Our new home is
Houndstooth Pub - Lower Bar We will also have access to the Back Bar.
520 8th Avenue @ 37th Street

$82 - 3 hour plan - Open (Top Shelf!) Bar 6:30PM to 9:30PM and a la carte menu. Check in will start at 6:15 PM
Maximum: 75 people

$56 - 2 hour plan - Open (Top Shelf!) Bar 7:30PM to 9:30PM and a la carte menu. Check in will start at 7:00 PM, Entrance at 7:30 PM.
Maximum: 100 people

"Top Shelf" is everything but shots including their "infused vodkas" -currently pineapple, raspberry, and Jolly Rancher and signature cocktails.

Checking In: Bring your Paypal receipt (email or printout from Paypal) for admission. Meg20 will not hesitate to throw you to the back of the line for not bringing your Paypal receipt.

Again, we're requiring shipping addresses with your Paypal payment. But remember, No ticket of any kind will be issued. None will be mailed to you and none will be handed out to you. Your valid paypal receipt is your "ticket."

Deadlines for all are 4/29, but please pay early. We have to give a pretty big deposit ASAP.

Gratuity for your prepaid drinks is included; please tip appropriately after 9:30 PM and for any a la carte food or drinks. The bar will stay open (l-a-t-e) on a cash basis. They said as long as we're drinking, they'll stay open. The kitchen will close around midnight.

Coat check is unknown at this point. I will update as soon as I know.

There will be no goodie bags.

If you plan to drink to the point of puking, don't forget to bring someone to get you home safely and it's BYOB (Bring Your Own Bucket).
The TARcon and bar staff and don't want to have to baby-sit you. Furthermore, if you plan to drink to the point of berating people, don't be surprised when you get thrown out. If you get thrown out, please leave (go home/elsewhere). Please don't stick around and harass people. If you do get asked to leave, you will not be allowed back to another TARcon. This is a private event and we can exclude you if necessary. Please don't make me do it. Bottom line? Bring a sober buddy if you plan on being out of control.

Your entrance does not guarantee you a seat, a picture or anything else other than open bar and race viewing during the paid time. Of course, you'll have a better chance at a seat if you are on the three hour plan.

There are no refunds. If you can't go, try to sell your spot to someone else.

Comps: Because of budget, comps can only be admitted after 9:30. If any comp would like to come before 9:30, they will have to pay the cover charge (contact Meg for more specific details). If you are a comp or know a comp and will be coming after 9:30, please contact Meg directly. I need the names for the count. Depending on number of comps, we may have to evoke limited numbers per guest. Please get your request in early to avoid disappointment.

Donations for overhead are welcome.

Meg20 is empowered to answer all questions, so ask her if you need anything.

New York is waiting for you... Go!

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

• Interests:Girls, model aeroplanes, sharp things, one particular dog...

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Done! 3-Hour plan. Now all I need is a plane ticket and a hotel reservation...

Anyone else?

Meg20

Meg20

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I'm glad you'll be joining us again, Netfoot!

TARcon20, you guys! TWENTY! 10 years ago this May I went to my first TARcon (TARcon2). I NEVER thought I'd still be attending these things 10 years later but I have to say, this party and this show have brought me to some of my best friends in the world. Yay TARcon!

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Wooooooooo!!!!

Let's see, this will be my...8th?? Every one from 12 on (except 18). Can't wait to see everyone again. And heads up folks, I'm bringing a TARCon virgin!!! He just started to get into the show a bit starting last season, and is eager to see what this party is all about.

I'm pretty stoked, let's go May 6!!

DavidK93

DavidK93

Stalker

• Interests:TV (duh), movies, video games, RPGs, boys

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I'm in for 3 hours! The logistics are old hat for me at this point. See you there!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

Locked, loaded, and ready to celebrate 20 seasons of varying goodness. Oh, and for TAR not sticking any members of the Hantz family on the show.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

I agree with Meg. I've met some really wonderful people at these events, people I consider great friends. And here's hoping we can keep partying another 10 years.

I just noticed the cap for 2 hour plans is 100, how long has that been the case? I remember it always being 225; is that just for the slightly smaller new venue? Grab those tickets early!

Meg20

Meg20

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

Houndstooth has a lower capacity than Stitch did, so that's why the lower count.

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

I've invited my niece Heidi to come with me. She has to be in the USA the following week anyhow. She isn't particularly a TAR fan, but she did RaceAroundTheWorld herself, once, in a different context.

I told her I will buy her TARCon ticket if she decides to come. I'm sure if she shows up with a PayPal receipt with my name on it, she will be allowed in.

I'm a little worried there is so little activity in this sub. Isn't anyone else going? I promise, I'll bathe and wear long trousers and proper shoes and everything!

Babalu

Babalu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:03 AM

I'm going - and looking forward to meeting you, Netfoot! I, too, live on a distant island and can't make it to New York and TARcon nearly as often as I'd like. This will be my first in two years.

Edited by Babalu, Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:04 AM.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

I bought 2 tickets. Do I need to provide any of my friend's information, or can I just give my 2 tickets at the door and we're good?

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Oh Babalu and Netfoot. Boo! I wish I could come!!!

auntieB

auntieB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Yay for Netfoot and Babalu! But boo for no Bo...

It will be wonderful to see you all again. I'll be there as well! Excited for this one!

Edited by auntieB, Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:09 PM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Honestly, right now I'm so discouraged by my vocal issues I feel like bagging it and coming to see all you peeps (and it may come to that if things don't improve) but as of now I've made a commitment.

Meg20

Meg20

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

No problem if people come with receipts with your name on it. You can either each have your own print out, come together with one receipt, or let me know that the others in your party haven't arrived when you come in and then arrange with them to meet you at the door when they arrive to show the receipt again. We've rarely had a problem so I don't forsee any this time.

Goldeneye1

Goldeneye1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

Wait, May 6? The finale's not on Mother's Day for once!

Tempted to, but probably can't because I might already be trying to fix my career by being in the middle of a shortish contract job.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

I want to throw something at you guys. The Avengers opens in theaters on May 4. I was wondering if some of us could meet up and watch it. I can do Friday night . . . I'm currently working in Brooklyn, and it wouldn't take me long to get to good theaters. On Saturday and Sunday, I'll be attending the Wildpig comic book show in Piscataway, NJ, and I can drive to the city to meet you guys. Heck, if anybody's interested in seeing the show then going to Manhattan, I can fit people in my car. Let me know what you guys think.

ETA: Sorry if the message sounded garbled . . . I was writing it at a Burger King with time nearly expiring. Also, for any fanboys out there, you should know that May 5 is Free Comic Book Day. I'm thinking most -- if not all -- of New York's major comic shops (Jim Hanley's Universe, Midtown Comics, Forbidden Planet, etc.) should be participating.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:14 PM.

whammo

whammo

Couch Potato

• Interests:I am Reality TV's Bitch. Also lurve BSG, Heroes, Dr. Who, Torchwood; continue to mourn the loss of the Wire (RIP Omar), Deadwood, Homicide:LOTS and all things Whedon.<br /><br />When not staring into the plasma, I defend Corporate America against the slow, gangrenous death that gubbmint bureaucrats frequently inflict on good people and good ideas. (Not infrequently, I also strive to give Corporate America a smackdown when it gets out of line).

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:10 AM

I am so ridiculously in. And I'll be just back from a week and a half in Vieques, so I'll be well-tanned. Or sunburned. Or still drunk. See you there!

MarkYturralde

MarkYturralde

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Ticket Aquirred, and in NYC that day. I'm doing the Five Boros ride earlier that day to raise funds for Ethan Zohn, but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Mark
TAR13

Btw, if anyone is interested in contributing, here's my fundraising page!

http://www.crowdrise...r/markyturralde

Riding with a bunch of Survivor peoples!

M

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

OK, so I want to book my airline tickets today, or tomorrow at the very latest. I'm not planning to hang around in NYC on Monday, unless there are some TAR-related activities Monday morning that might be fun to attend.

If you know of anything, please tell me about it, and I'll book my departure for mid-afternoon. Otherwise I'll be on a 7:05AM flight out of JFK Monday morning!

auntieB

auntieB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

Yay Mark! That is a great charity, we will have to try to come cheer y'all on!! Looking forward to seeing you!!

Jm12

Jm12

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Will Brenchel be there? I hope they will win the season!

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

No commitments are ever made about racers or anyone outside of our own sweet selves attending.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

A lack of racers wouldn't be a big deal (anyway), because we're better than the racers hahaha!

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

Tickets booked, arriving Friday night, leaving Monday, crack-o-dawn.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:22 AM

Travel safe, Netfoot. By the way, I pretty much didn't get a chance to answer your question earlier about other things to do, mainly due to the fact that things are still being worked out, as they always are. It's not like the old days where there was the trip to New York's Little Italy and New York's Chinatown on the afternoons before and after TARcon, respectively.

That being said, the only thing left these days is the Early Show Check Presentation. However, that too isn't set in stone. I'm not sure if there will be a CBS This Morning Check Presentation give that change. So it looks like you did the right thing to leave early. After all, I'm sure that so much will be happening on Saturday so if you miss something, it should be a big deal.

Goldeneye1

Goldeneye1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Anyone have a feeling that this TARCon is potentially going to be very awkward? Especially with the (mostly unlikeable) teams that are left?

Netfoot

Netfoot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

First, I am not going to TARCon to rub shoulders with racers. Sure, it is nice to be able to chat with them and gain some insight into the way they raced and to perhaps learn a little bit of behind-the-scenes TAR lore that may not have been previously known. And on my one TARCon visit, I had a great time chatting with the racers, both of that season and of earlier seasons. But the real reason I am going is for the opportunity to see YOU. And the rest of the folks in here. Last time, I met some great TWoPers, and hope to see as many of them again as possible. And I hope to meet a whole crop more great TWoPers. So if there are just enough people at TARCon to keep a conversation going, then I will feel satisfied.

Now, as for the mostly unlikeable teams. Those people we see on TV are in a stressful situation, with a loadsa money on the line, as they hold their heads up to the gun of a million cathode ray tubes aimed at their tiny skulls. When I meet them, the strain is off, KF is a distant memory, and the audience is reduced to, well, just me. I think I can give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume that in person, they are better people than the racers we see on the show. If I talk with them and they turn out not to be very nice -- and that could happen, no matter how they appear to be on the box -- then I can just walk away, and go back to talking with the people I really came to TARCon to see. Frankly, I think even the most unpleasant person, at a party held "in their honour", should be approachable enough to talk to without it being awkward or unpleasant.

But if BB Rachael starts to cry, somebody restrain me, lest I'll kick her in the groin!

Meg20

Meg20

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

I'm glad you'll be joining us, MarkYturralde. And thanks for the reminder about the 5 Boro Bike Race. I'll need to head in to the city a different way or leave the car in Manhattan on Saturday. It would have SUCKED if I hadn't realized.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

It is perfectly possible to go to a TARcon and not talk to a single racer and still have a blast. I wouldn't worry about awkwardness. If you don't like them, like your momma said, if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything. Just go have another cosmo and find something to giggle about with someone from here.