Stannis Baratheon: This Thread Is His By Right

• Please log in to reply

109 replies to this topic

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Anybody wanna place bets on how quickly this comes back to bite him in the ass?

Must not...make...juvenille joke...about depending on the level of kinkiness.

The same could be said of the whole Lord of Light thing of course, as that dead maester was so worried about.

And I do wonder what was going through Stannis's head at that moment (besides the obvious), as he was 'seduced' by the promise of an heir through submission to the Lord of Light through his sexy priestess, but that hardly solves the bigger problem of actually dealing with Renly's 100,000 men which he was scornful of the LoL dealignwith. Maybe in his own head he thinks Renly would not have been so eager to step forward if he did not think he would get the throne eventually when Stannis died, as he was without an heir, but I doubt it.

I guess he was dealing with each problem in turn. Each sexy turn.

Edited by kieran555, Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:09 PM.

swguardswoman

swguardswoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

And I do wonder what was going through Stannis's head at that moment (besides the obvious), as he was 'seduced' by the promise of an heir through submission to the Lord of Light through his sexy priestess, but that hardly solves the bigger problem of actually dealing with Renly's 100,000 men which he was scornful of the LoL dealignwith. Maybe in his own head he thinks Renly would not have been so eager to step forward if he did not think he would get the throne eventually when Stannis died, as he was without an heir, but I doubt it.

If I followed what she was saying, melisandre actually started the seduction by saying that if the number of ships armies etc do not matter, if stannis would only give himself completely to the lord of light *cue robe drop*. Something about how she's seen his victory in the flames was last episode, too. So it might be that stannis decided to go for it because he actually believes that screwing his hot priestess on the map of westeros table will literally bring the wrath of god down upon his enemies?

Or maybe she was just really really hot. Stannis is pretty awkward, he probably hasn't gotten a lot of similarly enthusiastic offers, even if he is a king of sorts...

Edited by swguardswoman, Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:47 AM.

easy e

easy e

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

@MarySJN

To the conqueror go the spoils. Stannis wants to rely on the laws of succession to justify his Kingship, but the history of the realm starts with Aegon the Conqueror (and his awesome dragons) and stannis' own brother Robert won the throne by winning a war rather than through succession. It might have been Tywin on the Iron Throne instead, as his forces got to Kings Landing first and his son was seated on the throne when Eddard Stark arrived with Robert's vanguard...

Well, that, and the fact that
Spoiler

Edited by easy e, Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:56 PM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Easy
Spoiler

Blue Nocturne

Blue Nocturne

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

So on top of everything else, Stannis is a pedant about grammar. Take that with his mad copy-editing skills, I know who'd be a good editor-in-chief of the Westeros Times should something like that actually exist. A fantasy medieval Strunk & White.

I wonder if Stannis realizes just exactly what his "son" was going to be.

Edited by Blue Nocturne, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:07 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

I wonder if Stannis realizes just exactly what his "son" was going to be.

I don't understand why can't he just name Renly his heir and join forces together now that his son is a Black Smoke Monster and all.

I mean, it worked for Jacob on Lost.

FaF

FaF

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

Easy

Spoiler

This is true, but even more directly (and more explicitly)
Spoiler

miasohn

miasohn

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

So on top of everything else, Stannis is a pedant about grammar. Take that with his mad copy-editing skills, I know who'd be a good editor-in-chief of the Westeros Times should something like that actually exist.

I need to see this now.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

I have to say I'm sold on the performance now (the grammar thing was the icing on the cake). He was so, ISK, staid and lifeless throughout the whole argument with Renly, as though he still couldn't understand why people didn't accept him as he was (and is) the rightful king, but he didn't get fiery about it (despite his new sigil), or even that passionate, because I don't think he can.

As a contrast with the warmth and humour of Renly it was excellent, although despite being involved in very dodgy stuff with Melisandre, there were traces of his roots of rigid honour and yet willingness to accept those who accept justice despite past bad behaviour in his scene with Davos. That speech, about a good deed not undoing the bad, or vice versa, seemed to be the most central to his character yet. As well as one which should haunt him, given what he just set in motion,

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

So on top of everything else, Stannis is a pedant about grammar. Take that with his mad copy-editing skills, I know who'd be a good editor-in-chief of the Westeros Times should something like that actually exist.

I need to see this now.

My cold, hard subeditor's heart was delighted when Stannis outed himself as grammar pedant, rebuking Davos for using less when he meant fewer. Stannis, there's surely a job waiting for you here if only you renounce the whole "Red Woman, shadow babies, belief that all ends justify your means" thing. Guardian: Reivew of Garden of Bones

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

If I wasn't Team Stannis before, I am now. Correcting Davos' grammar? Love that man.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

If I wasn't Team Stannis before, I am now. Correcting Davos' grammar? Love that man.

Hail Stannis! King of Grammar, Sovereign of Syntax, Protector of Punctuation!

Spirit of 74

Spirit of 74

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

ail Stannis! King of Grammar, Sovereign of Syntax, Protector of Punctuation!

Hey, if that shadow baby's here to obliterate all the misplaced apostrophes I see in the world, then I will conveniently forget the insanely creepy manner of its birth!

Seriously, I imagine that line was included to make us dislike the character for his pedantry. All it did for me was make me love a character I'd barely taken notice of before.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Seriously, I imagine that line was included to make us dislike the character for his pedantry. All it did for me was make me love a character I'd barely taken notice of before.

I don't think that was the reason for its inclusion personally. I felt it was part of this season demonstrating the weaknesses in many characters in that they cannot seem to adapt their behaviour to placate a situation. Joffrey cannot control his psycopathic impulses for five freaking seconds when being just a little more discreet while still being a sadistic dick would probably be acceptable, Renly cannot stop playing for five minutes of a conversation with his brother which, doomed to failure though it probably was, could have been more amicable, maybe even 'let's sort out the Lannisters first', as Stannis did offer to restore Renly as his official heir (and given Stannis has not fathered any sons to date, Renly probably likes his chances of inheriting) and make some gesture at least, and Stannis is simply incapable of not being stiff and awkward.

Yes, he's playing fast and loose with his marriage vows (though I imagine he can come up with an explanation as to why it's acceptable), but it isn't, as Renly said, that he never wanted any friends, but that he just is a dull, charmless man with an uncompromising world view. The grammar business showed, I think, how difficult it must be for Stannis, as he's not just brutally honest ("I didn't love him, he didn't love me"), he genuinely is incapable of not following what he sees as the proper path (though he does seem willing to degrade himself morally to achieve that 'correct' aim), be it him being King whether he or anyone else likes it or not, or people using grammar correctly. He didn't sound like he was reprimanding Davos, and when he repeated it after Davos asked what he meant, he sounded distant, almost wistful. He just couldn't help it.

I didn't have much time for Stannis in the books [brief Stannis Show/Book comparison, not plot spoilery, but to play it safe],
Spoiler
and I do see much of that present in Show Stannis, but despite jumping off the deep end with Melisandre, and him being so charmless, having no dynamic delivery or truly powerful lines, I have become quite taken with the performance, which is almost anti-charismatic. He's so uncharismatic, I find him fascinating (rather than Charisn'tma [tm Terry Pratchett], where someone is so awful they are so compelling)

After seeing people practically recoil at the prospect of him being king, even before they knew he had gone fanatic and has now started knocking up foreign witches with shadow demon babies (I am certain he was not aware of the particulars; I expect she told him that it would be taken care of and that was it), and then actually seeing the unimpressive looking, unimpressive sounding man with no heat or fire despite his harsh view of justice. I feel for him a little. A little.

Small doses is probably best though, as he has complained and whined in most scenes, which would drag after a while.

Edited by kieran555, Apr 25, 2012 @ 5:10 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Even though I'm annoyed when people do that in general, either to me or to other people when he did I liked him more. There's a douchy way to correct others, which I see a lot of people do, but I don't feel Stannis was and Davos was probably used to it.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

That's because Stannis didn't correct Davos to be a douche or even to make a point. He did it for the same reason he's going for the crown, he's literally incapable of seeing it any other way. To him, it's as if Davos (or Renly in telling him why he'd make a poor king) is telling him "liquids are actually solid". It's not that he can't see the virtue in other people's points of view it's that to him there is no other point of view. He's almost like a functioning autistic in his focus.

Edited by Tricksterson, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:27 AM.

miasohn

miasohn

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I know it's been said but I have to say it myself, this thread title never fails to make me chuckle.

I agree that Davos has to be used to that kind of thing from Stannis by now. He's just...Stannis.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 4:22 AM

Very pleased with Stannis and Davos' scene together. Stannis still shows no level of passion at all, but his insistence, his flat, unemotional tone as he recounted what he clearly sees as slights to him by Robert and yet the importance he placed no doing his duty, all came across very well with that delivery.

It also showed that this is a man who has seen hardship, and come out the other side tough as old leather.

I do think the apparent whispers from other Lords about Davos and yet Stannis, from one of the Great Families of Westeros, appointing him as Hand, loses a lot of impact as in the show it seemed like Davos must surely already be his Hand. He was certainly the only adviser besides Melisandre we've seen Stannis consult, the one he takes with him to incredibly important negotiations and puts in charge of his fleet.

Edited by kieran555, May 21, 2012 @ 4:33 AM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

It figures that Stannis is a dog person, not a cat person.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:14 AM

Man, got to give credit where credit is do. He sure isn't one of those "Hide behind the men" kind of leaders. He went up the ladder first and was totally owning those guards! He may not be the life of the party personality wise, but he's kind of a badass. And I even felt bad for him at the end, when he was screaming for his men to keep fighting, while three of his men had to practically drag him away.

It really is weird that he's kind of grown on me. There are definitely a few things I'm not a fan about him, but there is something about the way the actor plays him that instead of getting mad, I'm just more "Oh, Stannis!" about it.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:23 AM

He cut the top of someone's head off! Now there is a leader I can respect. Like to see modern day politicians try that.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:38 AM

Stannis also didn't flinch when some dude standing all of four inches away from him got his head caved in by a rock. And he had to be dragged away from the battle screaming by two (three?) of his men. I also liked his matter-of-fact approach after the wildfire explosion, sort of like "Well, we can manage, if that's the best they've got."

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

Plus when he's up against the castle wall, and one of his men's heads gets caught with a falling rock and basically explodes with gore into Stannis's face.

And Stannis isn't even shaken for a moment, he just keeps giving orders with blood on his face.

Like this is a dude who's had people's heads explode in his face a few times before.

And I do love how the show's really captured Book!Stannis's bizarre charisma. He's so goddamn uncharismatic that he somehow loops back around into being oddly charming. It's a hard thing to describe.

mr.simpatico

mr.simpatico

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 4:12 AM

And I do love how the show's really captured Book!Stannis's bizarre charisma. He's so goddamn uncharismatic that he somehow loops back around into being oddly charming. It's a hard thing to describe.

Yes, Dillane has really captured it. You can certainly see why someone like Davos would follow him. I think Stannis is one of GRRM's best creations, he could so easily be one-note and 2-Dimensional but he's not.

There seem to be more and more Stannis fans (both Book!Version and TV!version)...and yet Stannis himself hasn't changed at all. It's all in how we see him, there's something refreshing in a world of backstabbers who change with the wind for there to be someone like Stannis, who's so rigidly himself.

Edited by mr.simpatico, May 28, 2012 @ 3:03 PM.

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

It really is weird that he's kind of grown on me. There are definitely a few things I'm not a fan about him, but there is something about the way the actor plays him that instead of getting mad, I'm just more "Oh, Stannis!" about it.

That's what he does. He sneaks up on you. Once you get to know him and get used to him, you come around and love him. Everything he does is just so "oh, Stannis!"
Seriously, I don't know what it is, but I just love him. He's so uncharismatic and personality free that somehow he comes back around and is adorable and lovable.

And I love that his idea of a rousing pre-storming the gates speech is just "Come sack the city!" Oh, Stannis! Don't ever change.

Edited by emjay1116, May 28, 2012 @ 9:14 AM.

Blue Nocturne

Blue Nocturne

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

That's what he does. He sneaks up on you. Once you get to know him and get used to him, you come around and love him. Everything he does is just so "oh, Stannis!"

That's what happened with me too. At first I just felt for poor Davos, being the only sane man in the Dragonstone nuthouse. But as I continued reading, Stannis himself completely won me over. He may be an uncharismatic, rigid, humorless, grammar pedant, but you get the sense that once he decides to trust you, you have an ally for life. I think the Dillane has done a really good job showing how someone so dour could still inspire loyalty and even be funny just by being the straight man in his fabulously twisted situation.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

I think this is the first episode I've actually liked Stannis because he wasn't just a pretender sending men to their graves. To me, he lookeed like an actual leader willing to die for what be believed in.

Edited by agora, May 28, 2012 @ 10:06 AM.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

Have to echo the sentiments on here. Stannis as a character had won me over already with the performance from Dillane, but tonight sealed the deal. He may be in thrall to a foreign witch, he did orchestrate his brother's murder by evil powers, he is charmless and uncompromising, but by gods (sorry, by God) he isn't afraid of pitching in. He sees it as the duty of the realm to acclaim him as king, that is by law and right what must be, but it is his job to fight for them.

Grom

Grom

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

He's so goddamn uncharismatic that he somehow loops back around into being oddly charming. It's a hard thing to describe.

I've been trying to figure out why I like Stannis but that pretty well sums it up.

He was really a BAMF during the battle but I really just wanted to tell him to put on a damn helmet. Stannis, I know you have a hard head but dude, not literally!

Last Hearth

Last Hearth

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Team Stannis! The the King Westeros needs!