5-3: "Tea Leaves" 2012.04.01

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

599 replies to this topic

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Peggy receives new responsibilities as the firm makes a concentrated push to increase business. Later, Don and Harry go the extra mile for a big client.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:37 AM.

SueBee_77

SueBee_77

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Don to Megan: "You're 26."

He finally said it. It's like watching a train wreck you knew was going to happen.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

"Because Romney is a clown"....BWAH! This show is endlessly entertaining. Like the new guy and LOVE Fat Betty!

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

How could Betty not deck that doctor who called her "middle-aged"?

Hilary Dickulous

Hilary Dickulous

Couch Potato

Never mind, I thought Joyce was Maureen Teefy. She was played by Adria Tennor.

Edited by Hilary Dickulous, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:24 PM.

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Eh, any time the episode is Betty heavy - rim shot please! - I lose interest.

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Man, does Betty look different...

“She just needs something to call you about”?? Get bent, Megan.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Do you think Betty was telling the truth that it was benign? A lot of the hour devoted to it for benign. I do like seeing a nicer side of Betty.

iggypop123

iggypop123

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

When Betty implied she would rather be dead than fat, i finally agreed with her.

SinInTheCamp

SinInTheCamp

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Less Megan-centric = soooo much more enjoyable!

I loved the return of Betty and "obese" mother-in-law! However, I missed Joan.

MightyMac63

MightyMac63

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Harry had a "Harold and Kumar" moment..smoke some pot at the Stones concert..eat some White Castle
belly bombers.

Betty..get off the feedbag..now!

And the best line.."Because Romney is a clown"...Henry has some humor in that
house?

Edited by MightyMac63, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:17 PM.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Do you think Betty was telling the truth that it was benign? A lot of the hour devoted to it for benign. I do like seeing a nicer side of Betty.

I do think Betty was falling in love with the concept of a romantic death. She was disappointed when it turned out she was just fat.

Katalina

Katalina

Loyal Viewer

Wow, I thought Megan was younger than 26. And Betty being called "middle-aged" by her doctor, and she's in her mid-30s.

Harry is really hating his home life these days--overeating and practically camping out in Don's car.

And how did Pete jump onto the Mohawk account?

Pepper Jam

Pepper Jam

Loyal Viewer

Eh, any time the episode is Betty heavy - rim shot please! - I lose interest.

Same here. Way too much Betty for my taste, boring episode.

When Betty implied she would rather be dead than fat, i finally agreed with her.

Ha! A dead Betty would be glorious.

Edited by Pepper Jam, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:10 PM.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

OK, any doubts I had about Megan are gone. Zero empathy. Guess that Maria Von Trapp stuff was all just an act. Pushing for Fire Island when Don is worried? "She just needs something to call you about"? Her come-uppance can't come soon enough for me.

It's getting hard to watch any scenes with Roger.

Edited by peggy06, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:12 PM.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Oh, how I've missed Betty - the messed up crazy chic you love to loathe.
Meghan's just annoying.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I couldn't help but think that there was more behind the blessing Michael got from his dad at the end of the show...

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

The appearance of Dawn was thrilling. Love her!

I really liked the last scene with Ginsburg (Ginsberg?) and his dad (...although if they needed a token Jewish guy, they shouldn't have gotten rid of Danny from last season). I do think it was somewhat of an odd note on which to end the episode, though.

This episode was bizarre for me. I felt bad for Betty! I felt bad for Roger! What are these new and confusing feelings?

Seriously, Megan. It's not a broken nail; it's a fucking tumor.

Edited by Blue32, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:12 PM.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Remember a time when it was a huge deal to have a Jewish client now a Jewish copy writer is barely worth mentioning. Times they are a changing. But, also, not. God forbid they have two female copy writers. I am not sure that Peggy is really up for the challenge of a talented writer other than herself (obviously excluding Don). She is so used to being top lapdog. It has been a long time since there was real challenge.

I love the Betty storyline, personally. This show is so much about both Don and Roger getting older and less relevant. But it is such a different experience for a woman, especially then. I know fat Betty was just because they started shooting practically the day after January Jones gave birth but it felt so right.

This episode was bizarre for me. I felt bad for Betty! I felt bad for Roger! What are these new and confusing feelings?

I know! I have actually felt bad for Betty before but last week I was glad to see Pete challenging him. This week I felt pretty bad about the whole thing. He is irrelevant.

I did like his thing about Pete being the last guy he hired to Peggy. I think there has been a readjusting and, Peggy is the only one really straddling between the old and the new guard. Loved her hatred of the Volkswagen ads (similar to Don's) she really is a product of her training.

Also, Roger trying to sleep with Peggy would be a real slap in the face to Pete eventhough Roger has no way of know that would be the case.

Edited by Cherith, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

BloggerAloud

BloggerAloud

Video Archivist

I love how Harry is the Mad Men equivalent of Jerry from Parks and Recreation, except that Mad Men gives you a multitude of reasons why various people would dislike Harry.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Pete absolutely rubbed Roger's nose in his own poop. "Mr. Sterling will handle the day to day, but rest assured, I'll know everything that goes on".

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Could Betty's weight gain have been more unrealistic?? They put a hundred pounds on her in a year. That would be VERY difficult to accomplish without a medical condition, particularly for a naturally thin person.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

They needed a way to ease new mom, January Jones into the new season, but the funny thing is , the actress never gained that much weight. I kept wondering if her face was made fatter with putty or digital effects.

Interesting how now it's Sally who wants to be skinny.

WhatIsInAName

WhatIsInAName

Loyal Viewer

There was entirely too much Betty in this episode. I really enjoyed the Roger/Peggy scenes, more of those please! Both Betty's benign tumor and the Stones concert seemed like too much time spent on things that won't really further the narrative. I understand that because of January's pregnancy they had to address Betty's weight gain, but devoting an entire episode to it seemed a little much.

indianhoop

indianhoop

Couch Potato

• Interests:Used to be dartmouthhoop here...I was a bad boy!!! Love to chat about TV...message me anytime.

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Finally...a "Bewitched" shout-out: "You're Durwood and you must be Mr Krabbits."

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I enjoyed this hour so much more than the premiere over all! I'm glad they're focusing more on the core cast again-- and yes, I miss seeing a nuanced version of Betty that was a little less horribly, cacklingly villainous than she was in season 4!

In any case, I enjoyed seeing her softer side-- although it's kind of funny that she had to get fat before she could reveal it again. Nice to see her enjoying her kids' company once more, anyway-- and it's sweet to see her trying to bond with Sally and telling her daughter sorry in her dream about her death. I'm looking forward to seeing changes in Betty's life in the future as well-- is she going to be different going forward, due to her near-death experience? Or because she's losing the privilege of being a beautiful, thin woman due to her tumor?

I still really like Henry... it's amazing how much patience he has with Betty at her worst. I'm now wondering if he thinks Betty's phone-call to Don was more than it really was, however. I don't think she would have called Don if she had anyone else to talk to at the moment. Or is he worried that Betty will fling herself back to Don if an opening occurs?

And this quote of Megan's really makes me wonder how much Megan knows about Don's first marriage. It seems she doesn't have the best opinion of Betty, likely stemming from Betty's clashes with Sally. (Which she saw first hand last season in Beautiful Girls, of course.) But does she know anything about Betty's legit grievances with Don? Or that Betty was the one who left Don first-- while he initially tried to deny them breaking up? Does she think Betty is desperate to get Don back?

Or is it that she's still insecure about Don's affections as well, considering his own history of cheating-- ie. him cheating on Dr. Faye with her? Maybe Megan's afraid it might be karma catching up to her-- she did jump on top of an opportunity to tell the Hines couple that Don was divorced when they met, and thus, she didn't break up a marriage!

Edited by Mariagonerlj, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

chitowngirl

chitowngirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I was disappointed they spent so much time on the Stones....what was the point?

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

I couldn't help wondering if they decided on Betty's weight gain to help camouflage January Jones's pregnancy, but I'm unsure of the timeline of production as related to that.

An interesting episode, to be sure. I think Don is seeing Sally' future in those girls at the Stones concert. And I think I'm going to enjoy Ginsburg and wonder about a possible romantic involvement with him for Peggy. Pete is Pete, somehow I see his point of view and then he becomes a complete tool again by claiming credit for what Roger did to get Mohawk.

Henry and Megan are too decent and normal for Betty and Don, it would seem.

Missed Joan.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

"Grow a penis"..."I'll get on that"...oh Peggy you are the best!

Edited by Souvien, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:14 PM.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I loved the end scene with Roger & Don. I felt that line of Roger's -- about when were things going to get back to normal. Exactly.
As far as the rest went, still...nothing. But if I'd played the "Jewish stereotype drinking game", I'd be too drunk to write this.

And p.s., Matty, you've tipped your hand. You cute little agenda-pushing dickhead.

Edited by voiceover, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:36 PM.