1-18: "The Stable Boy" 2012.04.01

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

280 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

Emma works hard to prove Mary Margaret's innocence in Kathryn's murder. Meanwhile, in the fairy-tale world, Regina must choose between marrying for love and happiness—defying her mother, Cora—or money and privilege

Mod Note: Remember to keep the discussion on topic. If your post is about the season as a whole, multiple episodes, or character arcs beyond this episode, please take the discussion to another thread. Also, please spell things out. It's Mary Margaret or Mary, not MM, for example.

HybridIce

HybridIce

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Oh damn! This show just got real. The reveal of Katherine at the end was such a shocker. So Regina didn’t have her all along? Where have she been? Finally, this show is moving along.

I must say, Lana did some excellent acting today. I hate[d] Regina down to the very core, I want her to have the biggest comeuppance, but today, her backstory changed everything. Do I condone what she’s doing to Snow? No, especially when Snow was just a child, and only had the best intention in heart. Plus, children do not know better. I feel this should have been known from the start on Regina's behalf.

That scene with Mary and Regina in the jail cell was the best, you can clearly see that Regina with all her heart believe this is the best to get her revenge, I, however, feel as though it unjustly. If you want revenge Regina, then do it to the person who actually wronged you, not someone who’s completely different and literally have no idea of her actual crime. It seems like a cheap shot to me. As well as that scene between the two were, it was completely cheapen because it was between Regina and Mary, not Regina and Snow White, as it should have been.

I’m glad Emma’s “superpower” was addressed, because it was really pissing me off that she wasn’t able to see the thinnest of lies. Especially Sidney’s, the one who consistently lied. I hope she drops this superpower nonsense of being able to spot a lie. Bitch please.

Good casting on young Snow. I could swear I saw Mary Margaret in her.

Agreed. She was so good that I thought that there were some CGI trick that progressed Ginnifer down to a child's age.

This episode was awesome, but it leaves one question left unanswered: How did Regina get her powers? Her mother has it, so why doesn’t she? I don’t know if I was the only one, but I was thinking that Regina would kill her mother in a fit of rage and acquire the power as a transfer. I suppose it could still happen.

Edited by HybridIce, Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:07 PM.

crazymadness

crazymadness

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Good casting on young Snow. I could swear I saw Mary Margaret in her.

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Wow, Lana Parrilla/Regina *killed* it this episode - I was so impressed with her performance. This show was touch and go for me for a couple of episodes but the last few have been really great.

MoxieSioux

MoxieSioux

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

They couldn't have picked a better young Snow. Bailee Madison did a great job capturing Snow/Mary Margaret's mannerisms. It was almost spooky how good she was.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

So now we know why Regina hates Snow White so much. On the one hand, I see where Regina is coming from. She asked Snow to do (or not do) one little thing, and she couldn't even do that. Snow telling Regina's mother about Regina's love for Daniel is what lead to his death. Snow was foolish to go back on her promise. However, Regina needs to let this go! Snow was a child and she got suckered, mostly due to being a child who lost her mother who couldn't understand why someone would purposely risk losing their mother due to love. It is what it is. She should have told Snow that she was wrong, she hated her, etc etc etc and kept it moving.

Who didn't see Syndey planting a bug in the vase? As soon as he brought it I knew what it was. Emma is constantly failing. She needs to stop touting these supposed superpowers because she's batting zero right now.

Good episode. I'm glad to finally know why Regina hates Snow.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

That little girl was freaking me out! I don't think I've ever seen child and adult actors that were so similar.

They got me with that ending. I totally that Rumple offed granny!

Happyshooter

Happyshooter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

The Evil Queen's crazy evil makes sense now. Mis-aimed, as her Mom was the problem, but it makes sense.

A well done episode.

A side issue, unless newspaper guy censored the take from the bug, Regina now knows the boy is actively trying to have her convicted. That could get very nasty.

MsCaitlin

MsCaitlin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

loved Bailee Madison as young snow. Their facial features looked so similar in the close-ups.

holy crap on the Katherine reveal. I thought it was gonna be a dead body, if anything. Or if she wasn't going to be found, I figured she was locked up in the Cuckoos Nest with Belle.

I need it to be next sunday, like now.

xqueenfrostine

xqueenfrostine

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

And now we finally know what Mr. Gold was doing in the woods when Graham saw him out in the woods with the shovel!

PHENOMENAL EPISODE. Probably my favorite one so far. I thought they handled Regina's backstory exceptionally well though I still can't sympathize with Regina's grudge against Snow and her father. Yes, Snow breaking her word to Regina did lead Cora to finding out about Daniel but she was a little girl who believed she was doing the right thing. I wouldn't expect Regina to love her for that or even be able to make peace with that, but I would expect her to understand that her mother likely would have found out about her and Daniel regardless of whether or not Snow had been able to keep her secret. I mean, did she really think Cora with all of her magic wouldn't have gone in search of her had she ran away and forced her to marry Leopold anyway? Snow broke her word, but she was a young girl manipulated into doing so by a woman whose skill Regina knows all too well. It's unfair to place the burden of blame on her.

And I agree with everyone else. The casting of the young Snow was perfect. She looks and acts so much like adult Snow!

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

First, it just kills me that we see this episode in Canada 1hour before the US so I have to wait to post!

Now, I can't believe that I am feeling sorry for Regina! I loved how her voice dropped as she changed from being "good" to "evil" .And not just her voice, but her entire body language.

Another Great episode!!

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

That's it, Regina. You're too afraid to go after your mother, whose really responsible, so you go after a naive twelve-year-old girl. That's right.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Bailee Madison was amazing! Wow. Great Episode all the way around.. but I still do not have sympathy for what Regina is doing. What Snow did was done as a child, with no malicious intent, but assuming that her mother only wanted the very best for her daughter, as Snow's own (real) mother would have wanted for her. Regina's anger should have been at herself (for not dealing with the situation to begin with) and at her Mother, who was so evil.

But what game is Rumpelstiltskin playing?? I'll need to watch this again.

cordy1001

cordy1001

Channel Surfer

So we also know that Regina's mother is the Miller's Daughter! That was a big reveal for me.

AthenaLeStrange

AthenaLeStrange

Video Archivist

No Regina your back story is NO excuse for this level of evil! So Snow was tricked into telling your mother about Daniel. Take her out of the equation, you run off, marry Daniel, have babies, happy ever after and all that jazz. How long would it have been before your magical mother found you? She finds you married to Daniel, then kills him and you become heartless as a result. She finds you married to Daniel with a child, either on the way of already out of the womb, she still kills Daniel, but this time she kills you too, and takes your child to mold in her image.
In my view knowing what I do about your mother I'd hazard a guess that this was a much more merciful way to get out of the situation that you put yourself in,

With or without Snow in the mix, things play out exactly the same, or worse!

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

I need it to be next sunday, like now.

Bad news MsCaitlin, the next new episode won't be till April 22!

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

xqueenfrostine said:

And now we finally know what Mr. Gold was doing in the woods when Graham saw him out in the woods with the shovel!

?? Can you spell out your theory? What do you think Mr. Gold was doing in the woods?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

I. freaking. love. this. show.

For starters, we finally have the answer to why Regina hates Snow White so much, and it's just as horrible, and simultaneously silly, as I expected. I understand why Regina would hate Snow White after that -- she not only couldn't be with Daniel anymore, but Daniel was KILLED for crying out loud -- but at the same time, she's just a little girl! Get a life, Regina, and let it go. If you want to hate someone with every fiber of your being for 10 years, hate your psycho abusive murdering mother.* I did giggle when Snow asked wedding gown-clad Regina "Are you mad?" Heh. At that very moment, you can see, in her eyes, innocent and heartbroken Regina transform into enraged, Snow White-hating Regina, and so yes, she did officially go "mad" right then.

*I would like very much for the flashback on whatever happened to Regina's mother between now and when Snow White was grown up. Why do I get the feeling that evil, angry Queen Regina locked her away in a dungeon somewhere? And speaking of Snow White, that was absolutely impeccable casting on young Snow. She not only looked like her, but she got Ginnifer Goodwin's expressions and mannerisms down pat.

Oh, and so, was it Regina's mother who was "the miller's daughter" from the "real" Rumpelstiltskin story then? I wonder when/how Regina got her own magic powers? Ooh, so many questions. Mind spinning.

I think Emma needs to get her money back on her I Can Tell When People Are Lying kit, because it sucks.

I screamed "He planted a bug in it!" when Sydney brought that vase of flowers to the station.

Edited by Chicken Wing, Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:16 PM.

cordy1001

cordy1001

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

Also, any idea why August's legs bothered him when they were at the troll bridge? and his emphatic "I am not a liar?" I was thinking Pinocchio at that point but I could be reading into things.

Carpedi7

Carpedi7

Fanatic

My DVR cut out right as Emma was talking to August, I see from reading here that they found Kathryn but what were the circumstances? Did they show where she was or any background on it?

Totally agree the girl playing young Snow was so similiar to Ginnifer Goodwin it was scary. Facial features, tonal inflections in her voice, even looked like a young Ginnifer. Loved this episode and can't wait til the next episode.

Edited by Carpedi7, Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:16 PM.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

I hate villains that are evil for the sake of being evil. It's so lazy. So Regina's backstory was wonderful to me. Not because it excuses anything she's done. It doesn't. There's a difference between an excuse and an explanation. The show explained to us why Regina is the way she is, without excusing her current actions. Love.

HybridIce

HybridIce

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

?? Can you spell out your theory? What do you think Mr. Gold was doing in the woods?

I can't speak for her, but I believe what is intended is Mr. Gold's involvement from the beginning. Planting the heart for Regina as a set up for Mary. If my train of thought is correct, and I concur if so, Mr. Gold planned to frame Mary from the start, proposed his set up to Regina, and in result acquires his favor.

KatieMK

KatieMK

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Lana looked gorgeous this episode! Barbara Hershey and young Snow were well-casted...I saw so much of Ginnifer Goodwin in young Snow. I knew what Regina's mother was going to do, but I still gasped when she did it.

I do agree with all the disappointment for the "Big Secret" reveal. Way too much anger at a child, Regina. And your mother would have found you out and stomped out your happiness with DAniel anyway. I wish it was done with a better storyline.

August= Pinocchio? He sure was adamant about not being a liar.

Cannot believe we have to wait 3 weeks..ugh!

Edited by KatieMK, Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:27 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

I thought they handled Regina's backstory exceptionally well though I still can't sympathize with Regina's grudge against Snow and her father. Yes, Snow breaking her word to Regina did lead Cora to finding out about Daniel but she was a little girl who believed she was doing the right thing. I wouldn't expect Regina to love her for that or even be able to make peace with that, but I would expect her to understand that her mother likely would have found out about her and Daniel regardless of whether or not Snow had been able to keep her secret. I mean, did she really think Cora with all of her magic wouldn't have gone in search of her had she ran away and forced her to marry Leopold anyway? Snow broke her word, but she was a young girl manipulated into doing so by a woman whose skill Regina knows all too well. It's unfair to place the burden of blame on her.

Well, at least I know where Regina gets her evil from, her lovely mother. When Regina said, "I should have let her die," I got chills. Mommy Dearest Cora better have gotten some chills down her spine, too. Well, her mommy wanted her to grow up to be just like her. I don't feel sympathy for Regina, because she could have honored Daniel by not becoming as evil as her mother. It's good to understand her, though.

MustBeThursday

MustBeThursday

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I am so disappointed with that episode. And it doesn't have to do with the acting, I thought that was stellar, but I was really hoping for more of a good reason for Regina hating Snow White than that. How am I supposed to sympathize with her? She hated a little girl for falling for her own mother's manipulation, which she knows to be more powerful than anything she can come up with at the time. Did Snow White "ruin her life" enough to feel bad for it as an adult? Hell no, Snow made a mistake, but she was a little girl, I can't see the tough adult Snow thinking that was a good enough reason to hate her. I don't know what I was expecting, but maybe something more deliberately malicious on Snow's part, or Regina losing something greater like a husband and child. She's hardly the first or last person to lose a loved one and to go that evil afterward is just not enough to make me sympathetic to her in the least.

Again I think the acting was great, and that little girl looks so much like Snow White it's creepy, but I'm very disappointed that it turned out to be so petty and simple.

GhostJack21

GhostJack21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I think that promo shows that August and Mr. Gold have a connection. I just want to know if August is his son. That's all.

Blue Plastic

Blue Plastic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Liked the ep but Regina needs to get over it. Her mother was the one who hurt her, not Snow, not really. Snow was just a naive child who had no idea Cora could be so mean. I'm kind of surprised Regina admitted to Mary M that she knows Mary M didn't kill Kathryn and is setting her up for a murder rap simply because she hates her. I guess we know Emma's "superpower" doesn't really exist at all. In fact, she doesn't seem to have even the slightest ability to detect lies, no matter how blatant. She gives the liar about a million chances before she finally realizes maybe something's up. Duh, Emma.

Okay, I need to look up the stable boy. He looked familiar.

xqueenfrostine

xqueenfrostine

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

So we also know that Regina's mother is the Miller's Daughter! That was a big reveal for me.

What's REALLY interesting about this reveal to me is that Regina chose Mills as her Storybrooke surname. Why would she essentially label herself like this as her mother's daughter when she obviously hates and fears her? I mean yes the name is fitting, because Regina does become very much her mother's daughter but I wouldn't expect her to own it like that.

GhostJack21

GhostJack21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

I think that promo shows that August and Mr. Gold have a connection. I just want to know if August is his son. That's all.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

I am so glad we have gotten the Regina/Snow thing cleared up. Just as I expected, Snow didn't target her and did nothing that she could know would cause Daniel to die. And Leopold didn't just execute Regina's lover or something (never thought that was the case, either). I think it's very consistent with what the bits and hints we've been shown - it was exactly what I expected it to be, based on previously revealed information. I hate the bad kind of "WTF" in tv.

George is alive. Didn't see that coming. How'd Charming end up running his castle?

I'm thrilled that Kathryn is alive. Now can we get the gym teacher's name?

Leopold's proposal was a bit strange. No preparation, not get-to-know-you period. For all he knows, the woman hates kids in general, but isn't willing to let one die. I wonder if Cora did any additional prep work with him? He was looking a wife, though, and that was known. And none of these women thought of faking an interest in his kid - lot dumb women around, apparently.

Regina will be pissed about Kathryn being discovered. I'm going to guess that Kathryn has no idea where she has been. How are they going to explain that heart to the population of Storybrooke?

Lastly, I still see no rational basis for the hatred of Snow. Poor thing was trying to be sweet. And she's a kid who had no idea what was really going on there. No normal adult would assign her any blame in this at all. Regina is obviously not normal - I blame Cora for that. Or I would, if Regina'd shown signs on mental instability previously (due to upbringing). But she didn't. She was a perfectly sane, rational person from what we saw. And then she just focused her hatred on an innocent child.