Ultimate Spider-Man

• Please log in to reply

95 replies to this topic

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

Venom in the Ultimate series isn't space either. Instead it was created in part due to Peter Parker's father search for a cure for cancer.

Edited by runningoutofnam, Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:39 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

Didn't get around to posting last week's episode, featuring an inexperienced Spider-Man getting the Iron Spider outfit from just before Civil War, completed with the three mechanical limbs that give Peter seven . . . one less than an actual spider. "Why I Hate Gym" worked better this week, featuring Clancy Brown as Taskmaster . . . though in his gym teacher persona, he came off a lot like Stephanie Stopframe from Moral Orel. Can't you imagine him playing footsie with Ben Parker? Annnnnnnd that's a worse visual than friggin' Colson tied up in briefs. For some Taskmaster goodness, as well as a great origin story, you gotta pick up the miniseries trade paperback, written by Fred Van Lente. I didn't really care either way until I saw this blurb on the cover of the third issue: "THE TOWN THAT WAS HITLER!"

In other news, there's no Sam/Nova, which was a plus. Also, Cage and Danny made their other-canon/grown-up debuts on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I gotta say that while those two are superior, their kiddie versions aren't too bad, even with Danny wearing sandals. It's logical, given his canon.

Almost forgot: appearances from Marvel Super Heroes Super Show (or whatever it's called) and Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham last week. Discuss.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

I don't love this show, but it's a decent brain off diversion. The fight scenes are well done at least.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

My biggest issue with the show so far is that it abuses breaking the fourth wall, to the point where it feels like the show is using it as a crutch.

I like the SHIELD aspect, I adore the team of Heroes Nick Fury put Spidey with (Nova's my favorite from that group).

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Hulk like Bug Man.

Heh.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Episode was okay, but:

A> I missed the team!
and
B> Saturating an energy man with water?! I thought Spidey was good at science! You have to neutralize the guy with materials that don't conduct electricity, like wood, rubber or plastic. He could have electrocuted tons of people and spread himself throughout the city via water! Baka (stupid, in Japanese. seems appropriate)!

MJ was cool, though. I'd hope we'd see more of her, but I rather see more of Aya and the rest of the super team. Unless they all buddy up at school (unlikely, since they have secret ID's to protect), MJ isn't going to hang out w/the gang much.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

I thought this was a better episode than usual, mostly because MJ's POV theme meant no fourth-wall-breakery. There are goofy moments, like Spidey trying his damnedest to make any sort of impact on Hulk, but it's pretty much a straight story. I'd still take the AEMH Hulk over USM, though.

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

This episode was okay. Still waiting for it to have it's first good episode, but I will take okay over terrible. I find that this cartoon works better if I have it on in the background while I am doing other things.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I thought it was a good episode. There is a formula for success that Man of Action found today: Super Friends homage + friggin' Doop = automatic win. I think that was the last character I would've expected to pop up on Disney XD.

For those that pay more attention than me: has Harry Osborn not made stupid life choices in any continuity? "Hey, I got a bit-o'-Venom! I'll just rig this Ben 10 Omnitrix I got from MoA, put the symbiote in there, and BANG! Instant hero!!" On SSM: "Hey, I'll just huff this crap I found in Dad's lab, and WHAM!!! Instant football star!!"

I did feel bad for Peter having to put up with a nasty cold and the crap heaped onto him from Fury and the other kids.

When you guys see Dragon Man, did anybody else think, "We are defenders of the night! WE! ARE GARGOYLES!!!!!"

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

As I had mentioned earlier this season, it is my opinion that Marvel is using this particular series to bring in a younger group of fans. From what I'm seeing from my 7 year-old, they are doing a great job with it. This is the first comic book type show that my son watches from start to finish, but he also hangs on every word from Nick Fury at the end of these episodes as Fury explains whatever it is he is explaining this week.

First I have a question, if I bring him over to the comic book store, any suggestions for something engage a first grader? We'll be looking for something that isn't too complicated or violent, and it can't have a lot of big words.

Second, I thought it was interesting the way they showed how Teenager Peter Parker visions the issues that would arise if he tells people his secret Identity. It's like he gets it, but he also doesn't really have a complete grasp (or perhaps the healthy dose of fear) of what the consequences would be.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

JTMacc99 Check out the School Library Journal's Good Comics for Kids blog. They have excellent reviews and recommendations on how to find comics that are appropriate and interesting, and steer clear of what's not.

Also, a lot of independent comic book store owners are becoming kid-savvy, friendly, and helpful to parents. But you might want to go there without him first to check it out. I remember being teased by the owner for buying "kid's comics" at my local comic book store when I was 9 or so, and feeling pressure to buy X-Men instead of Sonic the Hedgehog (which is still around and is still a great title for gradeschoolers).

I always tell people to check out their local library first, though. A lot of libraries started putting graphic novel sections in their children's room, and some even carry individual issue that you can check out like magazines. And there is just no better way to get a kid into reading then taking him to a library on a regular basis! :)

I'm really glad this show is working for the younger set. As much as I love cartoons for myself, there should be some well made, decently written shows that aren't too convoluted or mature for kids under middle school age. And I just don't think that elementary schoolers can really appreciate Young Justice, or even Legend of Korra.

As a kid, I loved serialized plots and humor. Batman: TAS was too dark for me; the 90's X-Men was violent and convoluted. Shows like Darkwing Duck struck a good balance.

This week's USM had a good balance, too. I really appreciated the new take on Venom and Harry becoming an anti-hero (Harry always does), and while I was annoyed by some of the cutaways, especially when they were used more than once, I knew that younger kids eat that stuff up. It's the kind of storytelling and humor that builds a desire for more quality storytelling without pandering or talking down to kids. Frankly, I hope they keep it up!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Looks like it was Walt Simonson Appreciate Day at Disney XD. Over on A:EMH, they did a solo Thor story featuring Beta Ray Bill. On USM: Thor guest-stars, and his evil half-brother Loki manages to get him transformed into a frog. And no bullshit for non-canon fans . . . this actually happened in Simonson's run on Thor (see #5). The Thunder God got turned into a frog, he had adventures with the wildlife of New York, he got a hold of Mjolnir, and he transformed into a giant friggin' frog.

Even watered down and with the SHIELD kids thrown in, it was still a fun episode. Nice how the dwarf blacksmith made weapons that forced the gang to overcome their shortcomings and called the Thunder God on the carpet to the tune of "What Have You Done For Me Lately?!?" Also: the horror of Peter Parker: Goat Man, and "I SAY THEE [ribbit]!!"

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Even watered down and with the SHIELD kids thrown in, it was still a fun episode. Nice how the dwarf blacksmith made weapons that forced the gang to overcome their shortcomings and called the Thunder God on the carpet to the tune of "What Have You Done For Me Lately?!?" Also: the horror of Peter Parker: Goat Man, and "I SAY THEE [ribbit]!!"

I liked it as well. It was fun, it was interesting, and it's really neat to find out that Thor as a frog happened.

While it continues to be a show that skews towards younger fans, I still enjoy it very much.

Another thing I liked was when Thor called Spiderman "Man of Spiders", which was just perfect.

Edited by JTMacc99, May 21, 2012 @ 9:04 AM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

The problem with the show is Loeb. One issue a lot of people have is that they are only turning into this show since it's on before Avengers:EMH and with Avengers:EMH going off the air the vast majority of the viewers will not turn in to watch Ultimate Spider Man.

Avengers cartoon actually has higher ratings yet Loeb wants to kill it.
Loeb needs to get out of the industry he is considered poison for a reason by comic readers.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

I understand making a new Avengers series that's connected to USM . . . but the main problem is that AEMH kicks way too much ass to be replaced. Why can't the powers that be understand that?

Another fun moment . . .Nova getting a concussion and stumbling into one of Spidey's asides was funny. BTW, is anybody else as anal as me when somebody brings up the "radioactive spider"? It's "irradiated," dammit!!

ETA: A visit to TvTropes made me remember the streaming banner from last week saying that Squirrel Girl is getting a perfume line. This is one of those things that fit better on USM than AEMH. Bring on Doreen!!

Edited by Lantern7, May 22, 2012 @ 11:19 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Heads up . . . just found out a new episode -- "Freaky" -- will be
airing at 11 on Sunday morning. Also, there's going to be a USM marathon
afterward, so it'll run for 30 minutes, as opposed to 37.<br><br>ETA:
For the record, Brian Michael Bendis wrote the story as a two-parter (I
think) in the USM series, so "Freaky" wasn't a case of Marvel sucking up
to their Disney overlords. Stuff gets changed, but the concept remains
the same: Spidey and Wolverine get their minds swapped, and hilarity
ensues. Nothing sucks as hard as accidentally skewering yourself with
forearm claws in your acquired body. <i>Twice</i>. Meanwhile, Logan makes Peter look feral, and he hits on Mary Jane. Cute episode all around.<br><br>ETA2: Format is kinda screwy on me . . . sorry I can't seem to fix it.<br>

Edited by Lantern7, Jun 17, 2012 @ 9:58 PM.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

Meanwhile, Logan makes Peter look feral, and he hits on Mary Jane. Cute episode all around.

"I always liked the redheads." Heh. I hear you Logan. Although that one's gonna need some explaining..

On the other hand, I was thrilled to see him toss Flash into the locker. That was fun. As was seeing him not quite figure out the whole swinging thing. Basically, it was neat to see what Peter could do with his strengths if he had chosen to go in a different direction.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 1:22 AM

The part where Spidey is working in the lab and the show felt the need to quick-cut away from that to some fight clips because it's "what (we) would rather be watching" really crystallizes the way the show assumes its audience are mouth-breathing idiots and have the attention span of a goldfish. It feels so insulting even to the little kids, who I doubt are as stupid as the show seems to assume they are.

I don't have anything against fight scenes, but they're not that exciting, they can even be boring, if they're on for too long. I thought so when I was a kid, and I still think so now.

I gotta *facepalm* at Spidey saying "forgot I'm a science nerd, didn't you?" If only I can forget how much smarter Spidey was in every other incarnation of Spider-Man, from cartoons to movies. Too bad I'm not an imbecile like they clearly think I am, with lines like that.

I was willing to give this show a chance. I like the way it looks and some of the gags make me laugh out loud (sadly, most of the gags make me cringe). I like hip Aunt May. Some of the cross-overs are interesting (but it's a little much when there's a cross-over in just about every episode). It's nice that they try out some fresh ideas (though SHIELD was already repetitive by the second episode. Most of the scenes in which junior SHIELD team fight together are more or less interchangable *yawn* The training exercises especially feel like something I've seen a million times before).

Still, I might have reached my limit with the blatant "we think our audience is stupid" stuff.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 2:34 AM

I gotta *facepalm* at Spidey saying "forgot I'm a science nerd, didn't you?"

Pretty easy to forget on a show where he's constantly acting like a twerp.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

I know, right? Spidey/Parker is such a tool in this version. While being a wisecracking smartass is always one of the things I like best about Spidey, something that sets him apart from superheroes who are brooding angst-fests, turning him into a douchenozzle is going too far.

What happened to the self-sacrificing Spidey who puts aside what he wants to help other people (managing to keep his sense of humor in the midst of that was something that made him more impressive)? Where's the Spidey who used his head more often than not? He had his moments of mistakes and bad judgement, but he didn't constantly use bad judgement and make tons of mistakes and still think he's god's gift to superherodom and deserve pats on the back.

Sometimes on this show we get glimmers of Spidey winning battles by playing it smart, and I enjoy those moments, too bad they are so fleeting.

And this is kind of random, but I miss Spidey/Parker interacting with J. Jonah Jameson. Of course, in this version, I might end up siding more with Jameson hating Spidey.

ztastviz

ztastviz

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

I know, right? Spidey/Parker is such a tool in this version. While being a wisecracking smartass is always one of the things I like best about Spidey, something that sets him apart from superheroes who are brooding angst-fests, turning him into a douchenozzle is going too far.

Which is really too bad, because Pete's pretty awesome in AEMH.

I finally caught Freaky and I think it's been the best episode so far. I haven't laughed so much during a cartoon in a while. I'm kind of shocked Ultimate Spider-Man was that entertaining.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

This episode was taken largely from an actual issue of Ultimate Spider-Man, right down to skeevy old man Wolverine trying to put the moves on teenage Mary Jane, so no surprise it was a cut above.

ztastviz

ztastviz

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Oh... Well, I should have known. Peter seemed like a different character when he interacted with the other young heroes earlier in the episode.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

In my haste to post about the past few episodes, I forgot about next week. According to the teaser, it's Spider-Man and his amazing friends (and Nova) against Juggernaut. As in, "NOTHING CAN STOP THE JUGGERNAUT!!!" Now . . . let's say you have to face this big guy down. You have no access to magic. You have no access to psychics, which makes getting his helmet removed useless. And you don't have access to a liquored-up Wolverine. How do you stop the Juggernaut? Answer (from canon) below:

With Amazing Spider-Man out this week, I reckon Man of Action and Disney XD decided to pay homage to Steve Ditko by throwing out one of his other great co-creations: Dr. Strange. Y'know, because Stan Lee didn't do everything himself, regardless of what he might tell you.

This week had a good ep: Nightmare decides to suck New York into his realm, so it's up to Peter, Dr. Strange and Iron Fist to save the day. Best part is the implication that nobody can ever use Uncle Ben as a weapon against Peter. His death hurts Peter, but it doesn't haunt him. Natch, thought, Spidey has to be a pain in the ass about magic . . . which sucks, since we went through that shit with Kid Flash in Young Justice a while back. Danny gets a little backstory to go beyond his Confuciusisms. Also, we see the other kids' nightmares. Apparently, Nova fears bunnies. Derivative of Anya, but fuck it . . . this Nova is a herb, so it's okay. And I'm guessing Dr. Strange has long hair here because too many people would crack wise and shout some of Dr. Orpheus's best quotes from The Venture Bros. Sadly, I don't think he actually said, "BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH!!!" Letdown. Funny bits: Nick Fury asleep in front of a camera, topped by JJJ asleep and muttering anti-Spidey sentiments as he snores.

Last week? Big argument over hidden cameras and civil liberties of the SHIELD youngins, resulting in Spider-Man stalking off in disgust. Of course, it's around that time when Norman Osborn starts putting the squeeze on Dr. Octavius's nuts, so the mech-limbed terror has to fight Spidey . . . and this comes after Peter has faced down Venom three times. Also, Nova signed the appropriate contracts and got a jetpack. Even though he has massive powers that allows him to fly. Because he's a damn herb, that's why.

A. In a classic two-part story, Spidey threw everything but the kitchen sink at Juggy to little avail. The solution:
Spoiler

Edited by Lantern7, Jul 8, 2012 @ 10:26 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Okay . . . having Juggernaut get eaten and pooped out by Awesome Android? Cheap as hell. And really, that armor is mystical (Crimson Bands of Cytorrak, IIRC), so it shouldn't have worked at all. </nitpick>

I'm guessing that the writers want to hook Spidey up with each kid, with Luke's turn coming today. That sucks, since Nova is the only one that hasn't gotten the spotlight, and his episode is going to such so hard. "Awesome" was okay . . . it was good enough for Peter to acknowledge that he was pushing back their science fair project, but then Luke made it better in the end by realizing he was wrong to let Peter do the heavy lifting. Also interesting to break up the Power Man/Iron Fist dynamic this week . . . and a fun side effect was teaming Danny with Harry. They broke out Wyld Stallins-style air-guitaring. That was sweet. Oh, and poor Coulson got eaten by "Andy" and pooped out naked. The bit with him doing the "I'm watching you!!" motions? Funny.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

The Juggernaut is my singular favorite character in the Marvel Universe. Sadly he is almost never done well in any of his TV appearance and this latest one was really no exception. It comes down to two points.

A). When Juggernaut is moving, almost nothing, only one instance in the entire history of comics that I am aware of, can stop him. Sure you can slow him down but actually stopping him is something no one in that show has the power to do. That in mind, when he ran into Awesome Andy he should not have been knocked away. That is such a freaking betrayal of his abilities. Either he should have gone straight through Andy's leg or at the least Andy should have been knocked over like a falling building.

B). As Lantern 7 mentioned, his armor is mystical and should not be have been absorbed by Andy. Worse yet, his powers and not tied to his armor, so he definitely should not have lost his powers when he lost his armor. It is just so frustrating to see his character ruined like this. Almost as bad as in X3 where they may him a freaking mutant.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

I keep anticipating and dreading the inevitable Spidey/Nova team-up, so I didn't see Peter sharing the spotlight with Nick Fury coming. Scorpio and his Zodiac gang take over the Hellicarrier, and Spidey has to bust Fury out. Even with the gags and the references to Die Hard and Star Wars, it was still a good episode. Coulson selling the shit out of the SHIELD weaponry helped, but that's topped by Spider-Man trying to put on a henchman's outfit, failing miserably . . . and using webbing to make a presentable marionette to lure in other henchmen. That was surprisingly funny.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

I got a big kick out of the rest of the team getting shot down by MJ.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Anybody else think Juggernaut and Beetle should've switched places? Seriously, Beetle was a second-rate villain at best before joining Baron Zemo's Masters of Evil and making a turn towards the better as Mach-1. If anybody should have been consumed by Awesome Andy and pooped out his foot, it should've been Beetle, not Juggeranut.

Okay episode . . . the part with MJ discouraging Galactus from eating the Earth was pretty choice.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

"Snow Day" was pretty good. The gang have the day off, but Coulson wants them to come in for winter survival training. Nova finds a place marked "Classy" in the SHIELD files . . . a deserted island, a place for the gang to chill out and have fun. At least until a boy and his father pop up, both wearing matching green shirts with horizontal stripes. Yes, it's Sandman . . . and in this continuity, Nick Fury dumped him there to keep him away from civilization. Turns out "Classy" was actually "Classified," and Nova is still a chump. Also, in helpful hieroglyphics, Fury had an afro back in the day, and Coulson had a ponytail. Chaos follows, and the gang escape the island . .. but Spidey got sand in his boots (socks?), and we get another crisis.

I don't think USM a bad show . . . it just suffers in direct comparison to Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. While the Family Guy-style asides can be hit-or-miss, they make quite an impact when they hit. Example: the idea of the island as a SHIELD hideaway. Cut to shirtless agents and Avengers in a conga line, and Hulk laughing after knocking over a limbo stick.