Ultimate Spider-Man

• Please log in to reply

95 replies to this topic

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

Anyone see this? It was...okay I guess. I know when it comes to Spider-Man cartoons the bar is set very low, but I still feel this could have been better. The voice actor is..grating. There is no real difference between Peter and Spider-Man. The animation looks like it was done by The Avengers B team. The dialogue tries very hard to be snappy and cute but just falls to the ground with a thud. It's almost like someone saw the old Teen Titans cartoon and tried to copy that zany charm and just copied the surface stuff.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

This just made me miss the excellence that was Spectacular Spider-Man.

Also, I'm kind of wishing they wouldn't go with hansom/popular Harry, his character makes more sense when he's a nerdy outcast too.

Edited by Perfect Xero, Apr 1, 2012 @ 3:44 PM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

It's almost like someone saw the old Teen Titans cartoon and tried to copy that zany charm and just copied the surface stuff.

Exactly what I was thinking! It seemed too jokey and silly. I'm not averse to mixing humor with action adventure toons, but it was too much. Not to mention all the turns to the fourth wall from Peter. I kept thinking of Zack from "Saved By The Bell" everytime that happened. It takes the viewer out of the story.

I wonder if this wasn't the real premiere? After all it is April Fools Day.

The Marvel Mashup wasn't funny either.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Sure, I think Spectacular Spider-Man is the high mark for USM is to be judged, but I'm giving this show a chance. While I don't get why SSM had to be taken down, I can live with USM's quirky nature. I don't think it's an overt swipe of Teen Titans . . . though with the other "junior heroes" plugged in, I'm betting that Marvel wanted a mini version of Young Justice. On the other hand, four of the minds on this are Man of Action, and that includes Joe Kelly, who would be demented enough to make things offbeat for Peter Parker.

I got spoiled on a few details in October, when I attended a panel on Marvel's projects at New York Comic Con. One bit that was warmly recieved by the crowd was the ever-present Agent Colson getting plugged in as the new principal of Midtown High. Clark Gregg got a HUGE ovation when he dropped by the panel. As for bringing in Stan Lee as a janitor . . . I just hope he's not used too often. A little Stan goes a long way, IMHO.

I was okay with the opening episodes. Was this the first time we got Paste-Pot Pete in a cartoon? Yeah, he can call himself "Trapster" all he wants, but he's still Paste-Pot Pete. I liked Spidey's asides for exposition as well. It'll take time, but I can get used to it. Biggest cast misfire . . . Nova. Really, the other three "kids" (Power Man, Iron Fist, White Tiger) are basically street-level martial artists. Nova's canon deal is either "What If Peter Parker Joined The Green Lantern Corps?" or "What If Peter Parker Was The Last Starfighter?" I did like the "bucket head" moment . . . had to get that out of the way.

ETA: My current Spidey list? SSM, followed by the way-too-short-lived MTV series, followed by the Fox series from the mid-90s.

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:23 PM.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Zaniness, constant jokes, fourth wall breaking...it's Ultimate Kidpool. Despite the different powers and insanity, this show comes off more like Deadpool or Teen Titans lite. I'm hoping that this is just pilot problems and that the show will right itself tonally.

The one thing that rang completely false to me was Spider-man's objections to working with the Amateur Avengers. The two episodes did a poor job establishing that he really liked to work alone and that he feared being responsible for the safety of others. My favorite part was Spidey not being able to drive. As someone who grew up in that area and only learned to drive when I was about to start grad school in the midwest, I completely get it. I'm already over the gag of giving Spidey a gadget, not explaining how it works, asking him to test it out, and waiting for the resulting mayhem. If this happens with the many spider gadgets they've cooked up, I'm out.

Was this the first time we got Paste-Pot Pete in a cartoon?

I'm positive he was in Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes show at least once or twice.

Edited by hunterhunted, Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:45 PM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

This is based on the Ultimate Spider Man which a number of people didn't like but a number do. It may be a more friendly version of the Ultimate Marvel line but make no mistake it's not the mainline marvel.

Plus Peter was always wisecracking and fourth wall breaking wouldn't be out of line with Peter Parker the teenager.

I think so far the series has massive potential. It's hard to live up to a series that has a huge nostaliga factor like the old spiderman cartoon with the guitar into rocking out "radioactive spider blood, spider blood! radioactice spider man!".

Give it time to grow and it may turn out way better then the old series.

Also Trapster is his name after his failed solo career against the Human Torch. Calling him by his old name sends him into a rage.

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Really runningoutofnam? You see massive potential in this? As for living up to a series that has a huge nostaliga factor like the old spiderman cartoon with the guitar into rocking out "radioactive spider blood, spider blood! radioactice spider man!"? That cartoon wasn't very good either.

Like I said in my first post when it comes to Spider-Man cartoons the bar is set very low and that is the only reason why I said it was okay. It just feels like a soulless cash in, like no real thought or love went into it. You could take the first two episodes and toss them on Marvel Mash-Up and not miss a beat. Of course the cartoons on Mash-Up have the excuse of being created in a time that wasn't very good for adaptions of comic material. Ultimate Spider-Man doesn't have that excuse.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

That cartoon wasn't very good either.

Yet a ton of people do consider it good for the nostaliga due to rushing home from school to watch it. True it's no X-men cartoon but it was part of the old cartoon block.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I was disappointed, partly because this show is nothing like the Ultimate Spider-Man comics. USM had slow pacing and incredible character development. The only thing I recognized from USM was Mary Jane. She and Peter are bff who never quite started a romantic relationship (they build it up in the book), and she wants to be a journalist. That was it. In USM, Fury tells Peter he's too young to join SHIELD, but that they'll keep an eye on him. They're using the title, but not the original content.

As for the show itself: the show has ADD. I don't mind breaking the fourth wall or gags, but I feel like the show is all over the place. There are just too many interruptions. And gadgets. Who gives a 16-year-old a motorcycle when he doesn't even have a learner's permit?

I like Stan as the Janitor. MJ trying to interview Spidey is going to get old fast, unless he lets her in on his secret (like he does in USM). They kept the "cool" Aunt May from USM, which I appreciate (not sure why they were celebrating a dead man's birthday with cake and candles, though. I understand the desire to mark the day, but to celebrate it like a regular birthday seems weird).

Was anyone else bothered by Doc Conners working for SHIELD? Or the fact that he had two arms?

I like the other Super Teens, especially White Tiger. Wish we saw more of them. In fact, I wish this was just "Young Avengers" with the same cast of characters (to distinguish it from the comic Young Avengers), and it focused on the whole team equally. I don't expect this show to reach the quality of Young Justice, but a teen team would be more interesting than Spider-Man, who happens to be part of a team, IMHO.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:41 AM

Was anyone else bothered by Doc Conners working for SHIELD? Or the fact that he had two arms?

No and incorrect, respectively, IncorrectParadox. Spidey extended the hand that would cause the most awkwardness. Dr. Conners has one arm . . . but I expect that to change within a few months. [/foreshadowing]

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:42 AM.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

Really, the other three "kids" (Power Man, Iron Fist, White Tiger) are basically street-level martial artists.

Power Man/Luke Cage isn't a street level martial artist, even if he hangs out with Iron Fist and his fellow martial artists a lot, he's a lot closer to someone like The Thing.

I was disappointed, partly because this show is nothing like the Ultimate Spider-Man comics

Yeah, they took some designs from Ultimate Spider-Man and a couple of bits like the relatively young/hip Aunt May. Tone wise, it was absolutely nothing like Ult Spider-Man (Spectacular was actually much closer to the pace and tone of Ult SM).

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:47 AM

I don't mind the idea of a humorous take of Spider-Man, since its a very core part of the concept. But that? Went too far, into the realm of silliness.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

The thing is, this was BY FAR the most accessible comic based show for young kids I've seen. I have a 5 and a 7 year-old, and this one is liable to hook them. When I was 7, the Super Friends or the Adam West Batman was good for me. The Justice League, The Avengers and Batman cartoons today are too grown up for them.

It's not the worst thing in the world to have something in the Marvel lineup that dips into silly as long as they remember to also keep it grown up enough to also engage an older audience. It's a tough balance to find, but if they do, it'll be a good thing.

As for the show, I think it did a pretty good job of setting the table.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

Plus anyone with any sense of style had to like the bit where Nick Fury points all the collateral damage of Spidey's battle with the Trapper. The horse in the glue and the woman trying to pull her kid away from the lamppost yet him rebounding back onto it.

Plus the bits where Iron Man was flying around in the car garage slamming into things.

Anyone with sense knew it wasn't going to be a straight copy of the Ultimate Spider Man but inspired by it.

Who gives a 16-year-old a motorcycle when he doesn't even have a learner's permit?

It happens in real life. Sometimes as an incentive for the teenager to get the learner's permit and get responsible in order to actually use the bike.

I understand the desire to mark the day, but to celebrate it like a regular birthday seems weird

Yet there are people who do it. Usually a year or two after while still in mourning since it attempts to make the grief less. After a year or two then it becomes a problem.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

USM's Aunt May looks suspiciously like Beth Broderick's hot Aunt Zelda from Sabrina the Teenage Witch. There, I said it.

I'm still undecided on this one--it's decidedly a lot sillier than I expected coming in, albeit with a modestly serious core (Peter not wanting to be responsible for anybody, the brewing Shield vs. Oscorp war over SM himself). I actually didn't mind the random what's-going-on-in-Peter's-head moments (though they reminded me of various live-action Disney tweencoms over the past few years), but the fourth-wall bits actually bugged. I'm willing to give it a chance, but it's not appointment TV yet.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

That was really annoying. I got it on DVR but it's probably not staying there. It's like they gave the secondary comic relief character the lead, what with all the yelps and screams and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! Jeez, he's supposed to have superhuman reflexes but all that spider strength seemed to go directly to the vocal chords. Never liked Power Man and Iron Fist either. Or Nova for that matter. Aunt May is quite hip, though. On like Donkey Kong. Too cool for school, tubular, and totally radical. It's her birthday. It's her birthday...

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I've only seen the first half hour, but I liked it.

A little quirkiness usually goes a long way with me, and many shows like this annoy me real fast. But, to my surprise, I didn't get annoyed watching this one. It does straddle the line between quirky and silly, and sometimes crosses it. And there was a moment when I did think, "Okay, that's enough of that." But it passed pretty quickly and I was able to enjoy the rest of the show.

Plus it seemed like the sort of thing a show will calm down on over time.

I didn't know what to expect when I sat down to watch, but now I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

If you're not into testosterone-fueled boy-fighting, this wasn't the episode for you. It's basically Peter and Nova (he's "Sam"? Since when?!?) basically try to slap each other with each other's dicks, escalating towards an invasion to Latervia to try and beat up Doctor Doom. They actually succeed, but neither they nor the other teens (including White Tiger, who's the de facto smart one) check to see if it's a Doombot. Good rule of thumb . . . ALWAYS check if it's a Doombot. Not only is it a Doombot, it's a Doombot nesting armor, with smaller and smaller Doombots inside it. And natch, they find that out when it attacks inside the SHIELD Hellicarrier. The morale involves working together, and Spidey and Nova (seriously, were the writers thinking "Richard Rider = Dick Rider"?!?) manage to zip up and work together.

The super-cartoony nature is still in effect. I lived with it during Teen Titans, and I'm okay with it here . . . though I'll understand if it wears thin for some of you. Personally, I'm more disappointed that we didn't have a Cage/Doom showdown like this. Word of warning: that link registers a 9.93 on the Blaxploitation Scale. Watching Nick Fury lose his shit was funny, probably more so than poor Agent Colson "going native" as the school principal. Oh, and I liked the lunchroom table of "Silver Surfers" hanging out and invention a new word.

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

This character is not Peter Parker. It's not Ultimate Peter or regular Peter. It's like the writers decided to make Peter Parker into a swarmy douchebag. I don't understand how so many talented people could turn out something like this. With the talented people working on this I really shouldn't have to lower my expectations. Are the writers being pressured by the higher-ups? This feels like a Poochie type situation.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

It's like the writers decided to make Peter Parker into a swarmy douchebag. I don't understand how so many talented people could turn out something like this.

They are just putting to visuals what goes on in Peter's head. He is pretty much like Deadpool to the point where if he teams with Deadpool the straightman is Deadpool.

Nova (he's "Sam"? Since when?!?)

Since his name got revealed when introduced to Peter in the hallway of the school.

m. They actually succeed, but neither they nor the other teens (including White Tiger, who's the de facto smart one) check to see if it's a Doombot.

None of them knew who Doom was for starters. Peter just heard the name on the news. They didn't read the shield files on him.

so than poor Agent Colson "going native" as the school principal.

Question how does removing the stall doors in the men's bathroom save money?

Also it's funny that they had Colson bring up the legal team question as to how much meat can be used and still call it meat loaf.

USM's Aunt May looks suspiciously like Beth Broderick's hot Aunt Zelda from Sabrina the Teenage Witch. There, I said it

It's the Aunt May from the Ultimate Series who was in her late 40s/early 50s. I don't know if in this show she wasn't married to Ben Parker and instead was Mary Parker's sister.

travel9x

travel9x

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:56 AM

This version is not grabbing me either. I think that the voice work is not good; Iron Fist's voice is particularly grating as it is very similar to the Silver Surfer in Super Hero Squad and just feels forced. The other aspect is that many parts of USM feels like copying-catting the better parts of other shows, including DC shows, and these parts don't come together very well.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:52 AM

I thought episode 3 was hilarious! Irresponsible, stupid teenagers actually acting like irresponsible, stupid teenagers? Much more realistic and fun to watch than superteens who rarely screw up (and never on purpose). Not that the episode's content was realistic...a group of kids just deciding to invade a country and take down a dictator they know very little about would be squashed like bugs. But the attitudes, the dialogue, the pissing contest and the expectation that their efforts would be appreciated and even rewarded by their adult guardians all hit home as variations of teen idiocy/naivete.

And they were all in on it, even if Peter and Nova started the mission when their rivalry got out of control, and White Tiger got all the best lines (her deadpan delivery really sells it)! It was a nice character moment at the end that they all took responsibility for what happened (of course, teamwork was the theme of the episode, so it was expected).

I like the team dynamic, and I like how the show's willingness to get incredibly unrealistic and silly contrasts with Young Justice's excellent, but drama based and often dour tone. When Fury told Peter that he hopes the team will one day become "the next Avengers," I immediately thought "The Next Avengers would've been a much better title for this show." I'm not looking forward to episodes focusing on Spider-Man's lone missions, because as of episode 3 I really think the team balances out the show's tone and humor. We're in Spidey's head too much for the show to drop supporting characters out of its plotlines!

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

"The Next Avengers would've been a much better title for this show."

The Next Avengers already exist. Thor's daughter, Black Widow and Captain America's son etc.

The people that are complaining about this show are the same ones who complained about Spectacular Spider Man when it first came out. Now these complainers scream if someone states Spectacular wasn't good.

including DC shows

Which ones? Teen Titans yeah it's way better then Teen Titans. Has far less annoying bits then Teen Titans. Has better quality animation teen Teen Titans. It is also has more likable characters then Teen Titans.

justjoan

justjoan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Nova (he's "Sam"? Since when?!?)

Since his name got revealed when introduced to Peter in the hallway of the school.

Well, yes, I suspect the point of the question was, "Why is his name 'Sam' when Nova's name is Richard Rider?" No one else's names were changed. All I can figure is that for some reason "Richard Rider" didn't pass Legal, but it seems odd that only that name wouldn't, so I don't know.

(seriously, were the writers thinking "Richard Rider = Dick Rider"?!?)

Dude, you are not wrong. Sheesh. I do like White Tiger, though. Caitlyn Taylor Love (oy, really?) seems to be doing a Michelle Rodriguez thing, and it works for me. If only she'd get something to do.

Question how does removing the stall doors in the men's bathroom save money?

Based on memories of my own high school, which didn't have stall doors in the boys' room either, he may be trying to cut custodial costs. Apparently something about doors turned the boys into raving savages wallowing in their own filth? Dunno, it never made much sense to me then, and I wasn't inclined to pursue the question.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

Sam Alexander is the name of this Nova. Ultimate Nova in the comics real name was Rich Jones.

Robert Rider was also Nova. So the cartoon nova is a different one with different history sort of how Luke Cage is now a teenager.

and I wasn't inclined to pursue the question.

You weren't inclined to go number two there either, I take it?

justjoan

justjoan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

Point is, his is the only name that was changed, and for no apparent reason, so it stands out.

And since I was a girl, the mysteries of the stall door-less boys' room went unsolved by me. We could be trusted to have doors.

Edited by justjoan, Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:09 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

If you're not into testosterone-fueled boy-fighting, this wasn't the episode for you. It's basically Peter and Nova (he's "Sam"? Since when?!?)

Apparently Richard Rider is getting screwed over here?

Maybe because they're afraid he's too Peter Parkerish?

Robert Rider was also Nova.

No. That would be Nova's little brother.

Ultimate Nova in the comics real name was Rich Jones.

No. That would be Rick Jones.

Yes, THAT Rick Jones. Just the Ultimate U. version.

Point is, his is the only name that was changed, and for no apparent reason, so it stands out.

Yup.

See it might have been interesting if it HAD been Rick Jones, to fit in with the Ultimate U. overall. Although ANY Rick Jones, even this one, has a complicated backstory, so maybe that was a disadvantage.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:08 PM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

No. That would be Nova's little brother.

Who also became a member of the Nova corps.

http://www.marvunapp...x4/nova00nv.htm

“When the decision in publishing was for Rich Rider to sacrifice himself [at the climax of THE THANOS IMPERATIVE] we wanted to respect that. We all know that there are other members of the Nova Corp and this is the story of one such member --Sam Alexander.”

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/ne...a#ixzz1rgPeWx71

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

I think this is pretty entertaining, and as I mentioned earlier, it looks like it might succeed in drawing in some new young viewers.

My son is seven, and not only did he stick with the whole episode, but he was completely engaged in the little after-show moment about Power Man. After it was over, he started peppering me with questions about it, as he was trying to understand things like whether or not rockets would bounce off of him.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

The writers at USM decide to not beat around the bush, bringing in Venom to haunt Spidey. This time, the symbiote isn't from space, but from Spider-Man's ass. See, Doctor Octopus got a sample of Peter's blood, and he manages to synsthize the darkest parts of Spider-Man into a blobby mess. Natch, Norman Osborn has a boner for soliders in black with super-spider powers. And natch, Doc Ock loses the black gunk right away.

Thanks to Peter's new friends, Harry is allienated from Peter. After his dad leaves him alone with a thousand bucks, he decides to throw a bash. On Mary Jane's advice, Peter brings his new allies along . . . and, of course, the goop comes hunting for him. First possession? Flash Thompson . . . given his comic version's current status quo. "Venom" winds up possessing all five tyro heroes, including Peter, but it manages to get blasted into oblivion . . . except a small bit that Harry finds and bottles up. Dun dun duuuuuuuunnn!!!!

Oh, and Spider-Man winds up getting part of his ass exposed by Doc Ock's tentacled robot monster. And Flash Thompson drinks from a bidet. Remember, all cartoon versions of Eugene have to be complete dimbulbs.