14-5: 2012.04.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

131 replies to this topic

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

When somebody claiming to have two "broken" ribs goes ahead with Wrestlemania, they lose all sympathy from me. WTF? If she really had two broken ribs, there would be a serious risk of a lung puncture and possible death! Maybe they're fractured but I doubt even that. CANCEL the wrestle shit - broken ribs are more than a good enough reason! She didn't - and so I'm refusing to believe her.

SueR

SueR

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

Sorry - coming to this really late this week, but am I to understand that for the rest of the show the bottom two will be decided by a vote of the judges after a dance-off? And they decided this two weeks in? And there is no explanation given from TPTB? Very weird and fishy is an understatement.

westandrew

westandrew

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

I'm sure that's very true. In my case I'm a Cuban American who is voting for Katherine rather than William. I find Katherine and her dancing absolutely stunning! She's made me do something I never thought possible, enjoy a Mark partnership and vote for him.

I know what you mean. My Grandma is Welsh and I love her to pieces, but I won't vote for a rather bland ringer and I've never voted for Ballas, no reason to start now.

Edited by westandrew, Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:58 PM.

Shant

Shant

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Eh, when he first started on the show the accent was stronger, but then it pretty much dissipated over the seasons even when his mother came in to help out. But now it's back with an agenda. That's what so nauseating about the guy. It's still speaking with a whatever Mrs Doubtfire accent around Katherine when she's not English or American, she's Welsh.. Like I said it's like someone putting on a Scottish accent around Irish Charms Tristan. It's jarring and totally unnecessary.

The guy just spent a couple of weeks in the place he grew up and when he wasn't training with Katherine he was spending time with family and friends. It stands to reason the accent is going to come back. Maybe the fact that he is working with someone who has a similar (but not the same - I do get that) accent is keeping Mark's "Britishness" front and centre. I really don't see what the big deal is. And it's not the same as someone "putting on" a Scottish accent around Tristan because "putting on" implies you never spoke with that particular accent in the first place. Mark spent most of his formative years listening to and speaking with that accent - and with a British mother it's literally part of who he is. Kind of like being Cuban is part of who William is.

Gee whiz, silly me, I actually listened to his video package, and he wanted to show where he came from as well as celebrate his new country. I thought the costume choice was more than self explanatory. I guess he's going to have to wear a big ol sign next time with a big flashing light to point to what is Cuban about his outfit, other than his smoking hot body, heh.

I actually listened to his video package too and yes he did say what he wanted to do with the dance and why. But nothing about that made me say "oh so that's why he's wearing a bandana". You want to know why I thought/think he wears bandanas? Have you seen that guy in practice? He sweats like crazy. If I had that much sweating going on I'd be wearing a bandana all the flipping time so I could keep the sweat from pouring into my eyes. I thought it was practical not cultural. And then I stopped thinking or caring about it. I guess I need that big sign eh?

I like both Katherine and William. I don't think it needs to be one or the other, or either for that matter. I do like Katherine a bit more. If that gap continues to increase I don't think it will be based on any flaw on William's part.

westandrew

westandrew

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

THE BIG SIGN (insert flashing lights)

Salsa fashion is very practical, emphasizing comfortable, loose fitting or stretchable clothes.

Men typically wear polyester shirts, often paired with flared jeans (fashionably bleached and torn). Hats are a common fashion item, and bandanas are occasionally seen.

From Salsa Culture.

Mark's "Britishness" front and centre.

Oh yes. Except he's got a Mrs. Doubtfire accent, not sure if it's British or American or something in between. Even the comedian Mike Myers with a Scottish Dad will affect his "Scottishness" as Dirty Ol Bastard to get noticed.

Monica21

Monica21

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Oh yes. Except he's got a Mrs. Doubtfire accent, not sure if it's British or American or something in between. Even the comedian Mike Myers with a Scottish Dad will affect his "Scottishness" as Dirty Ol Bastard to get noticed.

Mark's accent is not "affected." It just comes and goes. I remember hearing it once or twice with Bristol, of all people. As has been said, he spent a great deal of time in Britain with an American father and British mother. And no, it's never going to be spot on British but always a little in between when it does come out.

And I'm surprised that this thread has devolved from the night's dances into a discussion of bandanas and accents.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

I giggled at the last post. Yes, bandanas (I typed bananas first, ha) and accents, and not of the musical variety.

I find the dance-off completely fishy, a la what's her face with Mark the one season and the 15 point winner take all dance.

I wish that the producers were held more accountable for their actions, as in let the audience know up front at the beginning of the season what sorts of craziness is going on. I don't mind if I'm aware of it, and it doesn't come up after some weird rumblings have been happening. Hell, they probably would have done it back in the Master P era to get rid of him faster.

Anyway, I am still not actually talking about the results show. I love, love, love Jonathan and Anna dancing (and their talking in their intro, all cuddly and stuff). They are made of awesomeness (so much so that I didn't care about the egregious pit stains, since Anna didn't seem to care).

I am not sure that Jack was my favorite to leave last night (that would've been Sherri, I think, or Katherine, just because of Mark and I'm wholly concerned this will be a "Nicole" season all over again). I don't know if Jaleel did anything, I'm just watching the dancing right now. Maybe if he stays a while, I will care...or if Kym says anything, or if she bows out for an injury or whatever. Jaleel still had the dance of the night for me week 1 and he did well in week 3. I didn't notice anything odd until I read on here. I guess sometimes, you can see what you are looking to see, if that makes sense.

So very glad Gladys and Tristan have kept on. I am reminded of Donny and Kym - an older star with a good personality and choreographer professional - who won! I don't know as of yet that she's who I want to win, but she's right up there with me, and that's not even taking into consideration my undying devotion to Tristan.

I would be very bored with a Katherine, Roshon, Maria, or similar finale. Roshon would be the only wild card, and I'm not liking him as much as Kyle Massey, for whom I voted a crazy amount.

CocooNut

CocooNut

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

It seems a shame with Maria though. I am going to hate to see her broken and whiney like Jenni, Shannon, Jennifer, and Ricki were.

Maria already has two broken ribs and is crying on Morning TV. Not her style at all. At this rate, she'll disappear entirely in the Tango.

?

She cried because she was overwhelmed with a sense of accomplishment watching their dance. One of her biggest fears coming into the show was having to dance “sexy” and she feels she was able to overcome that in the Rumba by letting go and trusting Derek on the dance floor. In every interview I've seen, she's had nothing but positives for him and her whole experience thus far. So I’m not sure where her becoming “broken and whiny” is coming from. I actually think Maria's one of the more easy-going partners Derek has had in contrast to the neurotic, over-sensitive types he seems to get.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

She cried because she was overwhelmed with a sense of accomplishment watching their dance.

Maybe. Partly. A phrase she used in the interview: “I don’t even believe it was me.” I had the same reaction.

I don’t fault Maria. For crying or not. She is who she is, and that was the point I was trying to make in my earlier posts. I like Maria. She is open and honest and pushy and free-wheeling. Her spirit is beautiful, and I would like to see more of it in her dances. But I am afraid that we will be seeing less of her, and more of Derek’s creation/ diminution of her, as the season progresses.

As much as I appreciate Derek, (and I do,) his methods and choreography can (- not always, but more often than not IMO -) completely erase the person he is dancing with. She becomes more of a prop or character to be used to express his artistic visions – especially if she is a novice and can’t be a proper counter-weight to his drive. While his visions are stunning, original, and well-prepared; they do not highlight, and often totally exclude, his partner’s person. He’s even begun to incorporate staging techniques – low lighting, behind-the-screen imagery – to further obfuscate her.

Perhaps Derek does this because he thinks it’s easier, and will garner him higher scores – which it probably does. He is very competitive, and has become good at hiding his partner’s “flaws”. But in doing so, he is also hiding his partner, which loses some of the audience - me for one. Part of my enjoyment of the show is to watch someone learn to dance. To grow and learn to express themselves through movement.

Other pros are better at teaching self-expression than Derek is. Tristan, Kym, Anna, Karina, Louie, Tony, even Maks; draw more of their partner out and into their performances than Derek does. He has won enough mirror-balls. He can afford to modify his teaching style to let more of Maria to exist in her dances. I would like to see her.

YMMV.

followthemoney

followthemoney

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

Does anyone else wonder if Melissa is still with us because people are voting for Maks?

I vote for Maks despite Melissa! Not even ashamed, I just want to see Maks dance!

I'd like to hate Derek for often getting ringers, but his choreography is just so good that it sucks me in, and I'm almost glad he gets ringers so they can show off the choreography.

I'd like to hate Katherine because she's a ringer, but her dancing is just too beautiful.

This post is brought to you by the attitude that what's fair is less important than what entertains me!

Carrie Ann does not entertain me.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I'd like to hate Katherine because she's a ringer, but her dancing is just too beautiful.

Her dancing is beautiful. Female celebs like her don't come around too often. After a few seasons of subpar females, it's so refreshing to see a women with such beautiful arms and musicality. As much as I liked Ricki and Chelsea the last 2 seasons, they don't rank among the 10 best females, where as Katherine seems to be inching her way into that elite group.

I don't think she's too much of a ringer. If Nicole's level of past experience, on a scale of 1-10, was a 10, I'd say Katherine is maybe a 5 or 6.

Edited by PBGamer89, Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:48 PM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

As much as I appreciate Derek, (and I do,) his methods and choreography can (- not always, but more often than not IMO -) completely erase the person he is dancing with. She becomes more of a prop or character to be used to express his artistic visions
*snip*
Other pros are better at teaching self-expression than Derek is. Tristan, Kym, Anna, Karina, Louie, Tony, even Maks; draw more of their partner out and into their performances than Derek does.

I think you've just nailed what's bothered me about Derek, but couldn't pin down. I think it was most noticeable for me when Maria displayed the same straight, rigid legs in the cha cha that Ricki had last year. Everyone thinks of Maks as the controlling one, but for me, Derek is much more controlling and strict.

Take their routines this past week. Can't remember where, but remember reading/hearing Derek discuss the choreography, talking in 'I's, 'I wanted' etc. Contrast that with Tristan's EW blog where he was all 'we's when discussing the routine. It's why, no matter how good Derek's routines and partners are, I don't really care, nor do I often rewatch them. I do care and rewatch Tristan's routines.