Mama's Boys of the Bronx

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

60 replies to this topic

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

• Interests:Glass arts, gardening, botany.

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

I've been seeing a lot of ads for this show, premiering Monday April 9 at 10PM on TLC.

"TLC's Mama's Boys of the Bronx spotlights the drama and adventures of five Italian-American men -- Anthony, Chip, Frankie, Giovani, and Peter -- still living at home with their spaghetti-stewing Mamas."

In the promo, one of the guys boasts of "living off the revenue" which I suppose means he's collecting the pizzo from honest working people?

URGH

Edited by Toaster Strudel, Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:14 PM.

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

I'm irritated with this show already. Does no one at TLC know basic grammar? It should be "Mamas' Boys," unless they all have the same mama., which seems not to be the case, since the description describes multiple "spaghetti-spewing Mamas."

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

• Interests:eclectic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

It should be "Mamas' Boys," unless they all have the same mama.

THANK YOU, Nittany84! Is it really too much to ask of people running "The Learning Channel" (and everyone else, for that matter), to have a basic grasp of spelling and grammar? I suppose it is...

I just saw the promo ad and thought this would be a truly obnoxious show - so I'll be tuning in at least once.

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

• Interests:Glass arts, gardening, botany.

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Don't look at me; I copied and pasted the title directly from the TLC website.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

• Interests:eclectic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

Toaster Strudel - I'm looking right at TLC, since it showed up that way on my DVR guide, too!

It will be interesting to watch the mothers who turn their precious boys into monsters. I pity the poor women who end up with these spoiled and coddled "boys".

snowbunny54

snowbunny54

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

A new show about middle-aged Peter Pans with accents. What woman would marry them? Yes, I will be tuning in, too.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

Yet another Italian-American show? I saw the commercial and rolled my eyes. I'll likely watch at least the first ep, but they're really milking the Jersey Shore success dry. In fact, this show seems like a cross between 'Shore and the Manzo home on RHoNJ. Take a bunch of guidos and add their meddling meatball making mothers and hijinks galore.

AladdinSane

AladdinSane

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

The preview reminded me of a 60 Minutes piece Mammoni about 30-40 yo men (in Italy...) who can't do without their Mamas cooking, laundering etc.. so they never move out.
This seems like the USA version (which I'm sure will mix in toxic levels of obnoxiousness as well).

Edited by AladdinSane, Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:39 PM.

Methadonna

Methadonna

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I hate to defend anything about this likely monstrosity, as the commercials alone make me want to harm things, but I think the apostrophe- and s-placements--off-putting as they are--are correct. You could have one mama's boy. You could have another mama's boy. Together, you have two mama's boys.

It doesn't matter how many mamas are involved; the term is "mama's boy," and so more than one mama's boy [that is, more than one boy--'er, man, er, boy,* er--not more than one mama] forms its plural as most terms do, with an s on the end.

(If there weren't an actual term "mama's boy," then I think the fact that there are multiple mamas involved might be relevant to the spelling). And, I never want to think this much about this show again.

*man, er, boy, er, hey, TLC, there's a show for ya. NAMBLA of Long Jersey Alaska Swamp Hollyangeles. Hell, maybe there's a NAMBLA Medium to be, um, tapped?

LLC

LLC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

Please oh please let this be the shit storm I think it will be...I will love it forever. Amen.

built

built

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

I can't wait for the program to start.

I grew up in the Bronx...very near Arthur Avenue...every two weeks or so, my mom and I would make the trek down to this little Italian enclave for Italian bread, freshly-killed chickens, etc.

I can't believe it's still the same after all these years.

LLC

LLC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

I'm right there with you Built.

Edited by LLC, Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:06 AM.

mariposa

mariposa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Here's an oldie but goodie in the TLC Grammar Fail department.

The preview reminded me of a 60 Minutes piece Mammoni about 30-40 yo men (in Italy...) who can't do without their Mamas cooking, laundering etc.. so they never move out.

I've read that high housing costs in Italy are as much - if not more - to blame for adults living with parents or other family (also, the culture values extended families living together or close by).

Because of the economy, it's common to see adults who live with parents in the NYC area - especially young professionals. But something tells me this show isn't going to give us the mature career guy with a master's degree who does his own laundry and is saving up to buy a house of his own.

Cheri3

Cheri3

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

My husband saw the promo for this show and just about fell off the chair. I think it's a scream and a half. I've lived on the East Coast and now in Texas and I just don't get the preoccupation for all things New Jersey and Texas (and even Cajun!). But, seriously, a show about grown men who won't leave momma???? Yikes and away....I think people at these networks just sit around and try to think of the most outrageous types of shows ever-like some type of contest.

And yes, for the most part, I'm pretty embarrassed about the reality shows that are based in the Dallas area...(ducking and hiding).....

LLC

LLC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Season starts tonight...10 EST. Pray it doesn't suck. Amen.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

I've read that high housing costs in Italy are as much - if not more - to blame for adults living with parents or other family (also, the culture values extended families living together or close by).

It is, and as many women live at home as men. While it's true mammoni exist, it's more of a southern Italy stereotype. Family ties are strong in Italy and if young professionals do move out of the house guess who pays their rent or BUYS their home? mamma e papa. I'm home on a mini-vacation but live in Italy and about 90% of my Italian friends in their late 20's to mid- 30's that do own homes...were bought and paid for by their parents, or grandparents usually for university study or a university graduation gift. It isn't only because housing costs are high....wages in Italy round out the very bottom in Europe, the median is half that of Germany's for example.

I may tune in tonight but I'm tiring of the EYE-talian bandwagon the networks have been cranking out.

ETA: Ok, this show is a hot mess. Minus the hot. These people are more embarrassing than the Jersey Shore crew. And the women they bring home? bwahahahaha....'skank' doesn't begin to describe. The girl who had dinner with whatshisname's family was already loaded or high the entire time, NICE. Grazia the fiancee was kind of cute but a guidette all the same. 'bling bling'.

I will refrain from obvious pot shots at the looks of these 'boys' but I will say I'm surprised the bar was that low. wow.

Edited by diorella78, Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:58 PM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Question why do a lot of these people from the Bronx look the same? It's like they all the same stagnant gene pool.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

For the love of everything that is holy! What on earth was that? Why didn't they just call this show "Stereotype" and be done with it?

Persnickety13

Persnickety13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Still waiting to see this trainwreck on the west coast and can't wait. I hope it's full of snarkworthy material.

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

I love how the one guy took the girl to the flowershop. She looked really impressed. Not!

I will refrain from obvious pot shots at the looks of these 'boys'

I won't! Normally, I'm not one to talk about people's looks but ugh. The most decent looking one was the one with the girlfriend and even he wasn't anything special. Yet, they talk like they're God's gift to women.

All this show has done is make sure I'd never be with an Italian. I can't stand the way they wait for their mothers to do everything for them. I'm sure once they're married, they'd treat their wives the same way. I take that back, maybe it's all mama's boys, not just Italian men. I just don't have personal experience with anyone like that and it's not appealing.

Edited by taalsi, Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:59 AM.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:21 AM

All this show has done is make sure I'd never be with an Italian. I can't stand the way they wait for their mothers to do everything for them. I'm sure once they're married, they'd treat their wives the same way. I take that back, maybe it's all mama's boys, not just Italian men. I just don't have personal experience with anyone like that and it's not appealing.

I'm not Italian BUT I live in Chicago (in a nearby suburb that is mainly Italian). I can't even count on my fingers & toes how many people, guys AND gals who are babied far into adulthood by their Italian parents. I don't know why this is. It's funny that one keeps hearing Italians complain about how they are being portrayed in all these reality shows but yet they keep giving everyone plenty of fodder for these "stereotypes". The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

It's funny that one keeps hearing Italians complain about how they are being portrayed in all these reality shows but yet they keep giving everyone plenty of fodder for these "stereotypes". The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Ok, but 'they' are the people who choose to go on reality shows, just like Ho'wives on Bravo, Little People, Texans or whatever. I am Italian-American, and I don't relate AT ALL to those goombas. And these people are not remotely 'Italian', they are NY-ese guidos who watch too many mafia films and are stuck in some time warp style-wise based on their location and socio-economic status. I'm not shocked the only one of the group remotely educated and put together lived in a nice looking home and didn't dress in a freaking tank top for dinner. Actual Italians don't worship the mafia, it's reviled. This whole ridiculous sub-culture is just that--a ridiculous sub culture. If these types of families keep wanting to perpetuate stereotypes that's their problem. 'These types' also exist in Italy and are mocked just as well. They make for good tv, so of course 'normal families' will never be shown because there isn't a freak factor.

LLC

LLC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

It was the absolute train wreck I thought it would be... I am Italian so my professional opinion is that the only reason these fools are still home is one word- homely. Lord have mercy on the Chip (bodybuilder dude)....Ugh, his face would stop time & not in a good way. His mom? Bless her heart. Glad to see she is in recovery from her meth addiction.

Peter needs some cream for his rosecea, his "ma" must be thrilled to know he announced on national tv that they aren't speaking. Hooray!

Giovanni? Barely memorable.

Anthony is like a big goon. Bringing home a girl & she slips out in the a.m. with ma watching? Stay klassy, Ant.

Frankie is solid gold. PT job at florist shop. Brings chick to pick out flowers (read: stealing from employer)because he can't bring her home at 38? This dude has marriage material written all over him. Booyah.

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Peter needs some cream for his rosecea, his "ma" must be thrilled to know he announced on national tv that they aren't speaking.

Thank you for reminding me. How the hell is he a "mama's boy?"

LLC, I give you props for remembering everyone's name. Two episodes in and I don't know any of them. To me, they are juice head, mole face, engaged guy, flowershop boy and weasel face. Whether or not I take the effort to learn names is my gauge of how much I like the show.

LLC

LLC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

Bwahahahahaha taalsi. I had to look up the names. LMAO @ mole face. Ant really needs a quick trip to dermatologist.

Engaged boy is a mama's boy like Gretchen is a housewife. Bam!

Lovelway

Lovelway

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

I wanted to watch this to laugh at these losers, but the show was SOOO bad I could barely make it through the ep. It seemed very scripted/staged and I wouldn't be surprised if these guys didn't even know each other before the show. I didn't get the idea they were all lifelong friends.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

It seemed very scripted/staged and I wouldn't be surprised if these guys didn't even know each other before the show. I didn't get the idea they were all lifelong friends.

Yeah. I can believe maybe 2 of them perhaps knew each other before or one or another has seen the other around, but all lifelong friends? I doubt it.

parisprincess

parisprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

This show is pure comedy gold! I'm sure women are lined up, hoping to replace their moms as their personal slaves. What a bunch of useless morons. And the girl Frankie brought home for dinner - I couldn't understand half of what she said because she was slurring her words so bad, but she's a model and gets told every day that she looks like Kim K? Yeah, right!

LLC

LLC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

You will all be pleased to know...Nicknames credit: taalsi

Ant (Mole Dude)- left job at car dealership to fulfill dreams of creating cartoon about his neighborhood. Ya, that'll work out smashingly. Oh ya and a convict... http://www.10news.co...977/detail.html

Giovanni (Weasel)- aspiring fashion designer. Bwahahahahaa.

Peter (Engaged)- "struggling" actor, PT sub teacher.

Chip owns a gym, what a surprise & Frankie... well you know he does the construction worker/ florist gig.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1339778.html

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

I thought Chip is what Jeremy Renner would look like if he just said "eh, fuck it".