7-18: "Party On, Garth" 2012.03.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

89 replies to this topic

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Excellent points, Cynnie. I think I would have preferred for Dean to stab Meg, and then summon Crowley and have a chat with him about Cas. Crowley wants Sam and Dean to take down the leviathans. Castiel getting better would be a HUGE help in that effort. Having Crowley keep an eye on Castiel's progress would make more sense to me than trusting Meg who seems much more like a loose cannon to me. Also, Crowley has a vast network of resources. They could have put him to work trying to find some way to help Cas.

Aeryn13

Aeryn13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Going by the last episode, Crowley seems to have lifted his "don't touch the Winchesters" ban because it didn't yield results. And considering that every single time he helped them, he didn't do so out of the goodness of his heart but because their goals aligned, why should he help them at all? They could summon him and then...gape in slack-jawed horror as he makes away with an incapacitated Castiel, never to be seen from again?

Now granted, they haven't been portrayed as very smart for the last few years but I'd consider them dumber than dirt if they contacted Crowley about Cas now. Whereas Meg right now IS in the position Crowley was in whenever he helped them. So using her is at least way less stupid than calling Crowley would be.

I liked the check-in call for no other reason than at least it showed the characters (or writers) haven't completely forgotten the poor guy from one ep to the next.

LightMyCandle

LightMyCandle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Crowley is a big reason they're in this mess to begin with. Why on Earth would they want him around Cas? Cas lied to them for a year while he was secretly working with Crowley and they're still cleaning up that mess. I'd never trust them to be around each other again. Why would Crowley have Castiel's best interests in mind any more than Meg does? Crowley would only be using him to help himself and that's what Meg's doing. They shouldn't be trusting any demons, (apparently they still haven't learned that lesson)but I'd trust Meg over Crowley.

Blackmantra53

Blackmantra53

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I have finally watched the entire episode all at once and I believe I can safely predict that Garth will make future appearances, even though I wish he would party elsewhere-preferably in his own show where I wouldn't have to watch him.
He seems like an average hunter,one who is content to handle the smaller hunts while believing he's all that and a bag of chips, but he annoys me.

I am not happy that Sam is trying to convince Dean that Bobby isn't there, because it's probably Dean's skepticism that is keeping him from seeing Bobby's maifestation. It is their job to believe in the un-believable and investigate thoroughly and one sitting at an ouija board is not enough, not when the EMF shoots off the scale whenever it is near the flask. I do understand that after all Sam's been through he wouldn't want to find out Dean's hallucinating as Sam himself once did, but if he'd simply invited Dean to sit at the board with him this could have been cleared up a long time ago.

Jensen's acting in the last few minutes, not to mention his agility with the katana were soley worth the effort of watching this average monster hunt.

As an aside, Dean would never steal a Pacer, nor is ever likely to have access to one in that condition.They are fairly rare and a collector would never leave his prized possession where it could be opportunistically stolen.
Garth, on the other had was driving an excellent Ranchero, circa 1980. Someone on the crew knows their American Iron.

Edited by Blackmantra53, Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:56 PM.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

Crowley is a big reason they're in this mess to begin with. Why on Earth would they want him around Cas? Cas lied to them for a year while he was secretly working with Crowley and they're still cleaning up that mess. I'd never trust them to be around each other again. Why would Crowley have Castiel's best interests in mind any more than Meg does? Crowley would only be using him to help himself and that's what Meg's doing. They shouldn't be trusting any demons, (apparently they still haven't learned that lesson)but I'd trust Meg over Crowley.

Good points. I guess I'll go back to my original thought which was that they should have found a hunter they know to keep an eye on the place and keep tabs on Cas. Heck, maybe they could have used Garth! LOL Hmm...Garth vs. trusting Meg or Crowley? Which would you pick?

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:42 AM.
Topic

MadCaps

MadCaps

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Can someone please explain what the big deal is with this DJ Qualls guy? I have no idea who he is (other than Garth from a previous episode) and if I have seen him on another show, I have no recollection of him. Why is the show treating him like some massive star who needs an entire episode devoted to his allegedly awesome quirkiness where Dean and Sam need to be dumbed down in order to make him shine? I didn't particularly like it, but I got it with Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters, but with this guy? No clue. Especially since the character continues to be bland and uninteresting despite everyone's apparent best efforts.

Sudoka

Sudoka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Can someone please explain what the big deal is with this DJ Qualls guy?

I know he's been in a bunch of stuff, but the most recent thing I remember him in was LOST as Hurley's best friend (before he won the lottery).

Edited by Sudoka, Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:06 PM.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

He's been in some movies, like Road Trip and other comedies. But really, he's not the best actor and the movies were mostly carried by the other actors, so I'm not sure why SPN considers him such a great find.

He's reminding me of Bela, where he gets to look good at the expense of the brothers, especially Dean.

I can forgive the flask thing, because I think the guys would figure if Bobby had a choice to move on or stay behind and become an angry spirit, then Bobby would choose to move on. Obviously Bobby must feel the world will fall apart without him. So he'd rather the guys suffer through the process of sending him to the beyond than swallow his pride and go with a reaper. So much for Bobby's great intelligence.

However, having said that, Dean and Sam should have figured on their own that the flask might be the last tie to Bobby, not have some dufus remind them.

The puppet thing was just creepy. An older guy with a puppet to entice children is on the same wavelength as the clown pedophile serial killer IMV.

Edited by hat, Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:30 PM.

MadCaps

MadCaps

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

I know he's been in a bunch of stuff, but the most recent thing I remember him in was LOST as Hurley's best friend (before he won the lottery).

I don't think I watched Lost after season 2 so that doesn't help much but thanks anyway for responding. :)

Dean and Sam should have figured on their own that the flask might be the last tie to Bobby, not have some dufus remind them.

I am actually puzzled about why Sam is so dismissive of the possibility. It's not like his own perceptions of reality have been particularly reliable this year and his judgement, in general, sucks about pretty much everything so you would think he would have learned to be a little more open to other people's opinions and experiences.

LightMyCandle

LightMyCandle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

I wouldn't call him a massive star. But, I suppose for the CW, he is. Did you see "The New Guy?" He's the new guy. It was a crappy comedy that my fellow classmates couldn't stop talking about when it came out like a decade ago.

So much for Bobby's great intelligence.

Bobby hasn't made a smart decision in the last three years, at least. And if I have to watch him come back, only to start putting Dean down again under the guise of caring, I'm tossing my TV out the window.

Garth vs. trusting Meg or Crowley? Which would you pick?

While Garth is probably more trustworthy, I can't see him being able to do squat to protect Cas. Plus, the character annoys me and the actor annoys me, and Meg is awesome (even though, most likely, trusting her will come back to haunt them) so I'd rather watch her.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

Well that ep was all that and a big bag of meh. The sock puppet thing had me wishing Dean would use it to strangle Garth, and why they completely wasted the opportunity to show funny/dangerous drunk Winchesters is beyond me. And since I was pretty sure Bobby would be back as a ghost as soon as that ep faded to black before showing whether Bobby went the the Reaper or not, the reveal at the end left me seriously underwhelmed.

So many characters have "died" and come back that I have lost any sense of jeopardy for the boys, their friends or their foes, and am therefore far less engaged than I used to be. Without that suspense, that fear for the character's safety, the show has to pull me in in some other way, such as humor, emotion or mystery-solving, and the show has been failing badly on that front for a while now.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

So many characters have "died" and come back

Reading this reminded me of The Pretender, later seasons, where every other character ended up being related to either Jarod or Miss Parker. It got so stupid and that's the way SPN is with the characters they kill off, and then have return.

Edited by hat, Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:14 PM.

Sudoka

Sudoka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

I don't think I watched Lost after season 2 so that doesn't help much but thanks anyway for responding. :)

Now I remember... It was season 2 episode 4 (Everybody Hates Hugo), and he spoke the immortal line: "Driveshaft? More like Suck-shaft!" I still giggle when I hear the name "driveshaft", which admittedly doesn't happen that often anymore.

Driveshaft...?

Edited by Sudoka, Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:20 PM.

Lemuria

Lemuria

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

I've lost a lot of respect for Dean. I can't believe he knowingly left Castiel in a mental ward with Meg as his babysitter. Dean is actually depending on a Demon to be honest with him regarding Castiel's mental state???

What are the choices? What hunters do they know out there now? In 7.17, Dean wasn't calling hunters he knew, he was going down a list in Bobby's book of contacts. Even if they have a name or two, who says they would trust that person to look after (or be able to look after) Cas? Would they consider Garth to be someone who could protect Cas? Roy and Walt? Hardly. There was also no way they could keep catatonic Cas with them, especially as they are still supposed to be on the run from the Levis. (I'm also not quite sure why only Dean is getting slammed for this choice. It's not as if Sam is trying to argue for an alternative idea.)

"Mutually assured destruction." Meg needs Castiel to stay alive in the long term. As far as she's concerned, he's her only chance of not only surviving Crowley, but also of getting rid of Crowley entirely. She will take very, very good care of him, because she has no one else to turn to.

I am not happy that Sam is trying to convince Dean that Bobby isn't there, because it's probably Dean's skepticism that is keeping him from seeing Bobby's maifestation.

It bothers me that Sam kept this from Dean, and then was so dismissive of Dean's position about it in "The Slice Girls." Why couldn't he just have told Dean that he tried to make contact but nothing happened? That would have gone further to convince Dean it was all his imagination than contempt was.

I'm also bothered by Bobby here: is he playing mind games with Dean? He was able to do all the things we saw, including moving the sword, but wouldn't respond at all when Dean asked for a sign at the brewery? Ingrid Bergman, meet Charles Boyer. If it weren't for the fact that it would be devastating for Dean, I'd prefer Bobby to already be going dark because he lingered. (Not to mention, we had all the grief yadda yadda, and now we get to sit through it all again. What a thrill.)

Besides, it really would have been nice for the show to actually make death mean something again. No such luck, though.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:43 AM.
Topic

MadCaps

MadCaps

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

Now I remember... It was season 2 episode 4 (Everybody Hates Hugo), and he spoke the immortal line: "Driveshaft? More like Suck-shaft!" I still giggle when I hear the name "driveshaft", which admittedly doesn't happen that often anymore.

Driveshaft...?

Thanks Sudoka.I still have no recollection of the actor in this or any other role but now I have proof that he actually does have some sort of career. ;)

Observe

Observe

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I still have no recollection of the actor in this or any other role

Me either I've never heard of him and I hope never to see the character again to be honest. Give me back a supporting character I'm emotionally invested in, who I actually want to see on a regular basis ie, Cas.

ValenciaGrim

ValenciaGrim

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

Yeah, Idk but I actually kind of loved it. I know, I know. What can I say, I have never actually been burdened with huge expectations for this show. When I saw the first previews 7 years ago, I literally thought “That can not possibly be good” but I eventually gave in and was glad I did. I think this has always allowed me to just roll with it and (more or less) enjoy what ever happened. That being said, I thought the beginning of season 6 was crap and stopped watching. Aaaand then the season 7 episode came along where the Levithians impersonated Sam and Dean and went on a killing spree, which is like catnip to me and I had to start watching again and go back and see all of season 6 and now I'm actually kind of obsessed and all has been forgiven and why can't I quit you show?

I actually loved Garth. Loved the Bel Biv Devoe,“You got Garthed!", the way he tells people the truth about the supernatural, when he said he looks good in uniform, and his delivery when he was trying to open the brewery door on the “I'm trying to save lives here!” I admit the puppet bit was wayyy off-key, but I did chuckle pretty loud when the girl cries out “Don't let them take me to jail Mr. Fizzle!”

DJ Qualls is not a huge star, sure, but he's a total “hey that guy” and I think he has his own kind of charm. Anyone who thinks he is skinny now should watch that “suck shaft” Lost clip, man, he actually looked soaking wet there, and whom ever said he could never get a woman terribly underestimates the low standards that many people have for a mate, in my opinion. Anyway, loves me some Sam / Dean eye candy, but next to them he kind of just seems happy and well-adjusted.

Now obviously this episode could have been better, but I found enough to like. The part where the brewery guy catches Sam and Dean drinking in his office was priceless. I laughed so hard when Jensen spit the alcohol back in the glass. I also really liked the actor who played the Japanese translator / priest / sushi-ya worker. Someone on here said that most good shows don't have filler episodes, but from Buffy to the X-Files, all of my favorites have always had at least one or two throw-aways each season. As far as Bobby coming back, I can't help but be affected (I'm a sap). To me, having someone occasionally pop in as a ghost is not the same thing as saying “It's just like he never died!” If Bobby couldn't get Dick Roman in life, why shouldn't he come back as a vengeful spirit and wreak some righteous revenge?

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:47 AM.
Boards on boards, topic

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:42 AM

I don't think I've been THAT bored since "Bugs". "Route 666" at least was hilarious in its insanity and the other pointless episodes this show has had along the years usually had some kind of comedic relief or a subplot that I could get into. This one had Garth.

I got no idea who DJ Qualls is, but I really don't care do ever see him again.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:47 AM.
Topic

annspal4

annspal4

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:39 AM

I associate DJ Qualls with appearing on My Name is Earl -- a sitcom about co-dependent brothers. Earl drives an El Camino so I thought Garth's ride was a shoutout to that.

The puppet creeped me out, too, but it's not a new idea in the show. What might be different is the hunter using the puppet rather than being the puppet.

edit: No, that's not quite it. Garth still IS the puppet. What's different is he was the one controlling the puppet?

Edited by annspal4, Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:43 AM.

Demian

Demian

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

I gave up on Garth when I hit the sock-puppet scene, which happened right after the scene where he immediately got plastered on one beer.

What a fucking awful mess this episode was, though I did find myself wondering if it was all the Very Special Guest Star's fault -- I mean, given all the generalized stupidity with the various asinine and unbelievable plot points, would it still have been as fundamentally shitty even if Rufus had been the third hunter on the case? Or Ellen? Or would they somehow have salvaged it?

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Rufus had been the third hunter on the case? Or Ellen? Or would they somehow have salvaged it?

Rufus or Ellen would have made this episode 10 times more tolerable and I feel we wouldn't have had the asanine sockpuppet scene which totally undermined the horror the little girl went through watching her mother get gored to death by an invisible monster that only she could see.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Well, Garth was presented as total comic relief, even if they missed the mark pretty badly. Unlike Rufus or Ellen, or even Gordon, there wasn't even a hint of BAMF in the character. So the tone of the ep would have been very different. Whether it would be better is another question entirely.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

Or would they somehow have salvaged it?

If it was Castiel he would have needed a couple of liquor stores. Then he could have been snide to Sam.

Demian

Demian

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

Oh, that would have been lovely.

yimhappy

yimhappy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

I was planning to fast forward my DVR, to only see Dean on the phone talking about Cas, plus Bobby's return.
But, campfires perfectly blend with SPN. So I started watching the episode.

I was expecting a disaster, but instead, I actually watched the entire episode without feeling bored & wanting to fast forward. It's not something I'd rewatch, but not bad. It reminded me of S1/S2. Low expectations helped.

Plus, I liked seeing Sam/Dean react to Garth. Garth is something new for them. Garth is more competent than Ghostfacers, unlike any other hunter, and this confuses Dean/Sam's radar. More & more, I think that SPN needs to bring in different characters to stay interesting, and not just Bobby/Cas. But I didn't like Garth solving things at the expense of the brothers. This episode might have spent too much time on Garth's POV. Also, I found the Ghostfacers funnier.

The sockpuppet scene didn't make me cringe. I just felt confused & WTF? It was puzzling, not funny. Also, I wondered that the little girl seemed too old to be taken in by that old therapist trick, but I can hand wave that.

But, my husband actually laughed during the sockpuppet scene, and he didn't laugh at much else this episode. My husband is a very casual viewer & definitely wouldn't any spend time thinking about this show or commenting on it. But he is a viewer who watches episodes that I won't. Hubby said that the sock puppet scene "lightened the mood, and kept the story from getting too morbid". At the end of this episode, he said, "Garth is no Gilligan. He's got moves. He's not a disaster, but he's no replacement for Cas." Being a prying wife, I asked for more, but all he said was that Cas had backstory and angst, unlike Garth.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

And Jeremy Carver is coming back to take over:

http://www.spoilertv...steps-down.html

There is a God.

Disturbia

Disturbia

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

Hallayluyer!

PaleWriter

PaleWriter

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

I saw that. Sera Gamble is out... Jeremy Carver is in.

I have a renewed hope for this series. Although, it may be hard to dig themselves out.

~ PaleWriter

yimhappy

yimhappy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

would it still have been as fundamentally shitty even if Rufus had been the third hunter on the case? Or Ellen? Or would they somehow have salvaged it?

Given the writing this season, I think this or any episode would still be frustrating. In retrospect, I'm glad that at least Cas was out of it.

But, Garth was an annoying character to give so much screen time, plus his POV, plus him helping save the day. Why not give the build up to Jody Mills, or another character that's more consistently liked? Both Frank & Garth had mixed reception. Some liked them, but many found them annoying.

Also, this season has been lousy with building secondary characters at the expense of Sam/Dean. That girl in "Adventures with Baby Sitting". I love Bobby, but Bobby swooping in & saving almost got annoying in S7.

mizkat

mizkat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Well that was freaking painful. Yeah, Garth does grow on you, like toe fungus. Seems like there was a lot of opportunity for humor with the boys getting drunk, but it was just bland dialogue with horrid deaths that didn't seem to really affect anyone. Just a really piss-poor ep.